Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I've been in a real mood to listen to the band Squeeze lately. I got into them years ago when I would catch their videos on VH1 Classic, and it's been fun going back and revisiting them again this past week. I've been playing "Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)", as well as this song, a lot in particular:

I love the scenes with the band being goofy and dancing around in the bar in this video, LOL :D. 

(Hopefully the sound works for others here, it's not working for me, for some reason. Works fine on YouTube itself, oddly.)

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2

Sheryl Crow is one of those rare artists where I like virtually every song of hers I've ever heard.  Interestingly, my one exception is her biggest hit, "All I Wanna Do".  I hate that song.  But, despite is presence, Tuesday Night Music Club was one of the best debut albums ever.

• Love 3

Interestingly, though, for me, her best album right now is Feels Like Home. I wouldn't say ten out of ten, but it sure feels like it. And I don't particularly like country, but compared to her previous albums and songs... this one in particular hits all the right places.

• Love 1

Completed S. Crow's discog. Got to say, that last album 'Threads' (2019) was a killer, those collaborations with different artists were awesome.

Again, as usual with these discopgraphies, my personal ranking of her music:

1. Feels Like Home (2013) - 10/10 (at least, it felt like one after so many albums that were from okey to good, but, if compared to her latest, I'd give it 8/10).

Songs I liked the most: Easy; Give it to Me; Waterproof Mascara; Homesick; Homecoming Queen; Best of Times.

2. C'mon, C'mon (2002) - 8.6/10

Songs I liked the most: C'mon, C'mon; Over You; Lucky Kid; Diamond Road; It's Only Love; Missing

3. Be Myself (2017) - 8.2/10 (actually, it was a tie with Wildflower, but I liked more songs in the album from Be Myself than in Wildflower)

Songs I liked the most: Roller Skate, Strangers Again, Heartbeat Away, Grow Up, Woo Woo

4. Wildflower (2005) - 8/10

Songs I liked the most: Letter to God, I Don't Wanna Know, Always on Your Side

5. The Globe Sessions (1998) - 7.7/10

Songs I liked the most: Am I Getting Through (Parts I and II), Anything But Down, The Difficult Kind

6. Threads (2019) - 7.6/10

Songs I liked the most: Prove You Wrong, Tell Me When Its Over, Story of Everything, Cross Creek Road, Lonely Alone, Don't, For the Sake of Love

7. 100 Miles to Memphis (2010) - 7.5/10

Songs I liked the most: Summer Day, Long Road Home, 100 Miles From Memphis, Roses and Moonlight

8. Detour (2008) - 7.3/10

Songs I liked the most: Love is Free, Peace Be Upon Us, Now That You're Gone, Motivation, Love Is All There Is

9. Sheryl Crow (1996) - 6.9/10

Songs I liked the most: If It Makes You Happy, Redemption Day, Every Day is a Winding Road, Love Is A Good Thing, Oh Marie (this song had a good reverb), The Book (instrumental was cool). Actually, this whole album's instrumentals are awesome.

10. Tuesday Night Music Club (1993) - 6.3/10

Songs I liked the most: Run, Baby, Run; All I Wanna Do; I Shall Believe

• Love 2

I was watching an old TV show and Taylor Dayne's "Can't Fight Fate" was playing in the background; reminded how much I loved that song, I promptly pulled out my CD to listen to it properly, and rediscovered how great the whole album is:

• Love 2

I have been listening to Beyonce's Break My Soul for about a week now.  The song slaps.  But then my preferred music is 80s era deep house (The Paradise Garage and The Chicago Warehouse) and it harkens back to that sound/vibe altho more 90s than 80s.

Decided to listen something in local language and picked-out Povilas Meškėla (Lithuanian classic rock singer). Was shocked to find only one album of his on Spotify, which was from 1996. I was sure that he had more than one or perhaps he had more albums with his band "Rojaus tūzai" (Aces of Paradise). Anyways, first impressions after listening to all of the album... eh, not bad, I guess. Some songs, due to his gritty girlish voice felt irritating to the ears (especially when he sung in English). The only okey song sung in English was Krentanti Žvaigždė (Shooting Star):

However, to me, best songs were Akloji Naktis (Blind Night) and Dar ne vakaras (It's Not Evening Yet)

Revisiting a favorite, the blending of Keith Whitley's and Allison Krauss's versions of "When You Say Nothing At All" is the greatest duet that never actually happened:

• Love 1
(edited)

Been listening to dance/trance/techno whatever music that SEL produces (local Lithuanian musician that's been active since the nineties), can't say that his music is my jam, but, some of it is more listenable over others of his songs.

But today decided to go with Thundertale (Lithuanian folk/power metal band). First album "Rising Power" (2005). Majority of the songs are in English. Pretty good, I'd say for their debute album. The best songs in the album are probably "Paukštė" and "Voices from the Dark".

Edited by Rushmoras

Thundertale's third album "Žemėj Lietuvos" (In the Land of Lithuania) (2013). All of the album, barring one song, is in Lithuanian language... and it's good. Better than the their first two albums. Major part of the album is drenched maybe in too much patriotism songs about ages past, but overal the music and lyric quality became gradually better.

Probably, best songs in the album are: Kol viltis gyva (Until Hope Is Alive), Nauja Diena (A New Day) and Ties Riba (Fringe).

So, I'm revisiting Black Sabbath discography, thinking that after some time I'll look differently at it. And in a way, I have. Ozzy era, while still to me pretty much meh, but has one very good album "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath", which in my laiman's opinion, is the most quality artistic work that they've made with Ozzy in the seventies.

While on the second listen I'd rate their albums more positively, but, again, after now hearing Heaven and Hell album... this just reinforced my opinion that I just don't like anything Ozzy related. If anything, Heaven and Hell inspired me to listen to Ronnie James Dio discography. The dude's voice is awesome. Also, this whole album is more melodic and ballady, which I personally like.

So, Ozzy era original Sabbath:

1. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath (1973) 10/10. Best songs: A National Acrobat, Fluff, Killing Yourself to Live and Spiral Architect.

2. Technical Ecstasy (1976) - 7.5/10. Best songs: You Wont Change Me, It's Allright, Gypsy, All Moving Parts (Stand Still) and Dirty Women.

3. Paranoid (1970) - 7.5/10. A tie between Technical Ecstasy, but TE had more good songs. Best songs: Paranoid, Iron Man, Electrical Funeral and Jack the Stripper / Fairies Wear Boots.

4. Vol. 4 (1972) - 7.0/10. Best songs: Changes, Snowblind, Laguna Sunrise, St. Vitus Dance and Under the Sun.

5. Black Sabbath (1970) - 6.5/10. Best songs: Evil Woman, Don't Play Your Games With Me, Warning and Wicked World. Though, the whole album, as I've noted was very much snooze fest.

6. Never Say Die (1978) - 5.5/10. Best songs: Junior's Eyes, Shock Wave and Over to You.

7. Sabotage (1975) - 5/10. Best songs: Megalomania, Am I Going Insane and The Writ.

8. Master of Reality (1971) - 5/10. A tie between Sabotage, but the latter had more good songs. Best songs: Children of the Grave and Solitude.

• Love 1

So, Part II of Black Sabbath discography before I go on to vacation :D So, after five albums finally reached Tony Martin era,,, end,.. eh, its meh. I remember liking his later albums in Sabbath more than the first one with him.

Overall, Heaven and Hell (1980), as I've mentioned before, was the best thing I've heard since Ozzy's "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"'; 10/10. Best songs: Children of the Sea, Heaven and Hell, Walk Away and Lonely is the Word.

Had a bit of a downgrade with Mob Rules (1981), because, IMO, the charm of novelty wore off simply. I'd rate it 7/10. The same quality as Paranoid or Technical Ecstasy. Best songs: The Sign of Southern Cross, Country Girl, Falling Off the Edge of the World and Over and Over.

Born Again (1983). More like died again. This is a stinker, I think that I liked back then while listening even the newest BS album from 2020 with pensioner Ozzy more than this drivel. The album had Deep Purple vocalist... and it did not work at all. Most of the time he tries to scream and it just sounds god awful. Also, the guitar volume makes it hard to understand anything. 4/10. Best songs: Ditigal Bitch, Born Again and Keep it Warm.

Seventh Star (1986). Oooh-wieee. The most non-Black Sabbath album out there. Glam-metal, glam-rock; the type that Whitesnake and the like plays. It could be either a five or a seven, depending on how you felt about the previous album. I'm gonna go with 7.7/10. Best songs: Seventh Star, Heart Like a Wheel, Angry Heart and In Memory.

The Eternal Idol (1987). I have only one qualm with it is that most songs sound the same. If not for that, I'd even say it's an 8, but... 6.7/10. Best songs: The Shining, Born to Lose and The Eternal Idol.

One of the top Czech singers, Hana Zagorová, died yesterday (at the age 75). I wasn't that familiar with her music, but I love the song Můj čas (My time) which she recorded with two other singers in 1984. It talks about the transience of the moment and how little time we all eventually have, when life can end any time.

It was a titular song for the medical drama Sanitka (Ambulance) and the music video is made of clips from that series:

Purely by accident, I've found myself listening to EDM recently. It's not bad. Catchy tunes. Does what it's supposed to. But one track in particular kind of puzzles me. An EDM remix of Lily Allen's Not Fair. I've heard the original, it doesn't need this remix.

What I'd like to hear is a remix of something totally opposite. Any aspiring DJs reading? See if you can make a dance track out of Electric Wizard!

I'd also like to hear some particularly fast or slow reggae, but one thing at a time. :)

So, finished up with Black Sabbath discography. I still off the opinion that Tony Martin was the best for them and that the album 13 (2013) with Ozzy was meh. So, nothing's changed in this regard.

Though, currently "Dear Father" is playing from the album '13':

Headless Cross (1989) - 8.9/10 (best songs: Devil & Daughter, Kill in the Spirit of the World, Nightwing, Cloack and Dagger)
Side note: Again. Most songs sound the same, but have more quality to them.

Tyr (1990) - 7.7/10 (best songs: The Law Maker, Jerusalem, The Sabbath Stones, Odin's Court, Valhalla and Heaven in Black). Good, if you like mythology based songs (though White Skull does it better (then again, bit heavier genre than Black Sabbath's)).

Dehumanizer (1992) - 8/10 (best songs: After All (The Dead), TV Crimes, Letters from Earth, Master of Insanity and I). Even though I liked it, but most songs sound the same.

Cross Purposes (1994) - 7.2/10 (best songs: I Witness, Cross of Thorns, Dying for Love, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Cardinal Sin and What's the Use)

Forbidden (1995) - 5/10 (best songs: I Won't Cry For You and Forbidden). Geez, just when I though they can't go wrong with Tony Martin, they make this album. Probably one of the worst Tony Martin album with Black Sabbath. All songs are either boring or uninspiring or both.

13 (2013) - 5/10 (best songs: Loaner, Age of Reason and Dear Father). Not the worst, but in league of Master of Reality (1971), Sabotage (1975), Never Say Die (1978) Born Again (1981) and Forbidden (1995).

• Useful 1

So, this time, decided to go with Led Zeppelin discog (knew couple of their songs: Stairway to Heave and Kashmir). I just know that I'm going to offend some classic rock fans, but... Thought that they be okey, but good god, their first album is... for the lack of better word... fucking boring. Majority of the songs in the album are non-coherent ramblings and/or one minute of lyrics and then five or more minutes of lead guitar improvising, which seams, over the same notes in all of the songs. If I haven't heard anything better and/or was born during the sixties-seventies, would have found this awesome. Now... it's just boring.

So, Led Zeppelin (1969) - 2/10. Best songs: Good Times, Bad Times and Dazed and Confused.

• Sad 1

I heard "Dazed and Confused" on the radio yesterday at work, and it hit me that the music sounds almost gothic at times throughout. Had me wondering what a goth band cover of that song would sound like. Would sound pretty epic and dramatic, I'd imagine :D. 

• Like 1

Well, I will concede that the second album 'Led Zeppelin II' compared to their first one was loads better. However, listening to it, I finally understood what does not click to me with most of their longer songs in those two albums at least: whenever it comes to a solo/improvisation section when instrumentals speak, it feel very disjointed from the rest of the song and it kinda bars me from liking the song further. Songs that I liked in LP II: Thank You; Living, Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman) and Ramble On. Though, the best song is Thank You.

6/10

• Love 1

I'm subscribed to Madonna's Youtube channel and part of fan site for her.  There's a new album Finally Enough Love out with all her #1 dance song remixes.

She did a remix of Hung Up with a younger TikTok star here

Aaah it's just all right.  Madonna was sexy as all sexy could get to me grown up.  Still in my blood to view her that way but this is kinda forgettable.  As is a good amount of her social media content these days 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:41 AM, BlueSkies said:

I'm subscribed to Madonna's Youtube channel and part of fan site for her.  There's a new album Finally Enough Love out with all her #1 dance song remixes.

She did a remix of Hung Up with a younger TikTok star here

Aaah it's just all right.  Madonna was sexy as all sexy could get to me grown up.  Still in my blood to view her that way but this is kinda forgettable.  As is a good amount of her social media content these days 

I'm listening to Finally Enough Love now and it is fabulous!

Madonna continues to put out great music - each new album feels fun and fresh* - but her video content seems to rely too much on the hypersexualized party girl schtick.  That vibe worked for the "Bitch, I'm Madonna" video, but can't work for EVERY song she makes!  I wish she would put out more videos like she did during the Ray of Light era, when the visuals actually added something to the music.  (I also wish she would remember she is MADONNA instead of collaborating with so many less-talented artists - like in the video you posted.)

*Madonna's my favorite artist, but for me her albums have always followed the formula of 40% forgettable songs, 50% good-to-great songs, and 10% This Song Changed My Life.  So, I'm a fangirl who always looks forward to new Madonna music AND who gets disappointed a lot. 

Still, Finally Enough Love really is great (and includes a much better remix of "Hung Up").

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Dancing Queen said:

I'm listening to Finally Enough Love now and it is fabulous!

Madonna continues to put out great music - each new album feels fun and fresh* - but her video content seems to rely too much on the hypersexualized party girl schtick.  That vibe worked for the "Bitch, I'm Madonna" video, but can't work for EVERY song she makes!  I wish she would put out more videos like she did during the Ray of Light era, when the visuals actually added something to the music.  (I also wish she would remember she is MADONNA instead of collaborating with so many less-talented artists - like in the video you posted.)

*Madonna's my favorite artist, but for me her albums have always followed the formula of 40% forgettable songs, 50% good-to-great songs, and 10% This Song Changed My Life.  So, I'm a fangirl who always looks forward to new Madonna music AND who gets disappointed a lot. 

Still, Finally Enough Love really is great (and includes a much better remix of "Hung Up").

Yeah I still haven't finished it.  I didn't realize the album is 4 hours long!  It's good though.

I've never been a fan with her collaborating with younger artists either.  Even dating back to the Britney/Christina kiss.  I kinda thought at the time the whole thing was tacky but warmed up to it more over time.  

Yes I even was talking about in the movie thread Madonna's Rebecca was the sexiest character/performance ever to me.  Her Where Life Begins is the sexiest song ever to me.  It's about that topic but done very smartly.  So as a person where it's in my blood to find her attractive/hot at 500 years old, yeah the hyper sexualized stuff now is kinda forgettable to me.

Ray of Light is great though!  The original Frozen was a lovely song but she did a remix recently I didn't care for too much 

• Love 1

Today, completed Led Zeppelin's discography. I mean, for general knowledge of the band, I'd say okey, but certainly they were not my cup of tea. Too much experimenting, which went to the woods in most of their music for my taste. Currently playing I'm Gonna Crawl, which with All of My Love was probably the only noteworthy songs in the entire last album.

Subjective opinion:

1. Presence (1976) - 7.1/10. Songs that stood out: Achilles Last Stand; Nobody's Fault But Mine; Tear for One. Even though, the album had fewer songs, but I liked it the most, due to its bluesy influences.

2. Led Zeppelin III (1970) - 7.0/10. Songs that stood out: Immigrant Song; Out on the Tiles; Gallows Pole; Tangerine; Bron-Y-Aur Stomp.

3. Led Zeppelin II (1969) - 6.6/10. Songs that stood out: Thank You; Living, Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman); Ramble On.

4. Led Zeppelin IV (1971) - 6.2/10. Songs that stood out: Rock and Roll; The Battle of Evermore; Stairway to Heaven; Going to California; When the Levie Breaks.

5. Physical Graffiti (1975) - 6.0/10. Songs that stood out: Houses of the Holy; Trampled Under Foot; Kashmir; In the Light; Bron-Yr-Aur; Down by the Seaside; Ten Years Gone; Night Flight; Sick Again. Though, the beginning of the album was dreadful.

6. In Through the Out Door (1979) - 5.7/10. Songs that stood out: In the Evening; All My Love; I'm Gonna Crawl.

7. Houses of the Holy (1973) - 3.7/10. Songs that stood out: D'yer Mak'er; No Quarter; The Ocean. Bit better than their first album, but overal, barring three songs, I have nothing positive to say and of those three songs only D'yer Mak'er was good. The rest... I mean, if you remove the vocals, most of the songs would be at least 6-7 out of 10, but with the way he chose to sing... God damn.

8. Led Zeppelin (1969) - 2.2/10. Songs that stood out: Good times, bad times; Dazed and Confused. As written earlier, majority of the songs in the album are non-coherent ramblings and/or one minute of lyrics and then five or more minutes of lead guitar improvising. If I haven't heard anything better an/or was boring the sixties-seventies, would have found this awesome. Now... it's just boring.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Today, completed Led Zeppelin's discography. I mean, for general knowledge of the band, I'd say okey, but certainly they were not my cup of tea. Too much experimenting, which went to the woods in most of their music for my taste. Currently playing I'm Gonna Crawl, which with All of My Love was probably the only noteworthy songs in the entire last album.

Subjective opinion:

1. Presence (1976) - 7.1/10. Songs that stood out: Achilles Last Stand; Nobody's Fault But Mine; Tear for One. Even though, the album had fewer songs, but I liked it the most, due to its bluesy influences.

2. Led Zeppelin III (1970) - 7.0/10. Songs that stood out: Immigrant Song; Out on the Tiles; Gallows Pole; Tangerine; Bron-Y-Aur Stomp.

3. Led Zeppelin II (1969) - 6.6/10. Songs that stood out: Thank You; Living, Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman); Ramble On.

4. Led Zeppelin IV (1971) - 6.2/10. Songs that stood out: Rock and Roll; The Battle of Evermore; Stairway to Heaven; Going to California; When the Levie Breaks.

5. Physical Graffiti (1975) - 6.0/10. Songs that stood out: Houses of the Holy; Trampled Under Foot; Kashmir; In the Light; Bron-Yr-Aur; Down by the Seaside; Ten Years Gone; Night Flight; Sick Again. Though, the beginning of the album was dreadful.

6. In Through the Out Door (1979) - 5.7/10. Songs that stood out: In the Evening; All My Love; I'm Gonna Crawl.

7. Houses of the Holy (1973) - 3.7/10. Songs that stood out: D'yer Mak'er; No Quarter; The Ocean. Bit better than their first album, but overal, barring three songs, I have nothing positive to say and of those three songs only D'yer Mak'er was good. The rest... I mean, if you remove the vocals, most of the songs would be at least 6-7 out of 10, but with the way he chose to sing... God damn.

8. Led Zeppelin (1969) - 2.2/10. Songs that stood out: Good times, bad times; Dazed and Confused. As written earlier, majority of the songs in the album are non-coherent ramblings and/or one minute of lyrics and then five or more minutes of lead guitar improvising. If I haven't heard anything better an/or was boring the sixties-seventies, would have found this awesome. Now... it's just boring.

For someone without delving into all their albums I kinda think the same.  Decent group but don't love them.  I know a lot of people that are big fans though.  

But I kinda think you have to be at least partially a fan though to go through all their albums like that! I'd consider myself a Billy Joel fan but looked at his discography and realized a fair amount of his albums I never listened too.  

Edited by BlueSkies
9 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

For someone without delving into all their albums I kinda think the same.  Decent group but don't love them.  I know a lot of people that are big fans though.  

But I kinda think you have to be at least partially a fan though to go through all their albums like that! I'd consider myself a Billy Joel fan but looked at his discography and realized a fair amount of his albums I never listened too.  

Would not call my self a fan of any band, it's just that a while ago I thought up it would be neat to, when I have time, to hear the entire discogs of bands/artists that I know or have heard of and rate them (and, maybe, pick-out some of their songs to put on my spotify tracklist).

On 10/1/2022 at 12:39 PM, Rushmoras said:

Subjective opinion:

I’m a huge Zeppelin fan.  I love many of their songs, but my favorites include:

In The Evening, Rick n’Roll, All My Love, Ramble On, Going To California, Thank You,  Black Dog, Stairway of course, Trampled Under Foot, Kashmir and perhaps my very favorite, Whole Lotta Love.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

After LZ, continued on with my journey through my country's bands/artists. A couple of days ago finished with G&G Sindikatas (hip-hop group that started their career in the late nineties and continues on to this day), though, gotta say that their best time was during early - middle two thousands. Now, listening to Leon Somov and Jazzu (again, local artists) album "Lees and Seas" (entire album is in English, and if I know correctly, all of their albums before they went on their separate ways were in English). Six songs in... and the best songs so far are Lower than The Ground and Tik Tok:

I was thinking back on my late teen days.  I thought Christina Aguilera was very hot then.  I remember her very well even when Genie In A Bottle came out and she was sorta of the cute blonde pop singer.  Then years later she came out of the public eye and released this video:

Outside of Madonna's Sex book this was probably the most adult sort of themed thing I saw at the time.  It was very stunning to me then but having lived life longer and seeing well the dirty parts of life, it's almost relaxing to watch this.

But yeah her Stripped album was pretty good.  Dirrty the song is all right.  My favorites off the album were Fighter and Beautiful 

• Fire 1
  • Love 1