Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

Ah, Fine Young Cannibals. I remember getting a cassette tape of theirs for Christmas once when I was a little kid. Apparently I really liked them :D. They did have some great singles...this one's always been a particular favorite: 

I'm sorry your tap classes weren't as exciting as you thought they'd be. I totally get where watching videos like those from Paula Abdul would've been an inspiration - not only did she dance in her own videos, but she choreographed for other artists, too, didn't she? 

That "Opposites Attract" video is cute. Ah, the cays of creative, fun music videos...

• Like 5

Completed Iron Maiden today! Got to say that their latest album 'Senjutsu' (2021) really surprised me in a good way after uninspired and boring 'Book of Souls' (2015), though, I admit, I liked BoS Part Two, so it wasn't a total travesty. One thing I will note that over-repetative choruses in some albums and too long instrumentals were a deal-breaker for me. But, overall, this is probably the most interesting band, whose songs I have never heard up until now, that I had the pleasure to hear.

As always, subjective scores of each albums:

Iron Maiden (1980) (2015 Remaster) - 6.3/10. Notable songs: Remember Tomorrow, Strange World and Iron Maiden.

Killers (1981) (2015 Remaster) - 6/10. Notable songs: Gengis Khan, Innocent Exile and Prodigal Son.

The Number of the Beast (1982) (2015 Remaster) - 6.3/10. Notable songs: Children of the Damned, Run to the Hills and Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Piece of Mind (1983) (2015 Remaster) - 7.8/10. Notable songs: Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Still Life and Quest For Fire.

Powerslave (1984) (2015 Remaster) - 6.3/10. Notable songs: Flash of the Blade and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Somewhere in Time (1986) (2015 Remaster) - 7.5/10. Notable songs: Wasted Years, Stranger in the Strange Land, Dejavu and Alexander the Great.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988) (2015 Remaster) - 7.5/10. Notable songs: Infinite Dreams, The Evil That Men Do, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Prophecy, The Clairvoyant and Only the Good Die Young.

No Prayer for the Dying (1990) (2015 Remaster) - 8/10. Notable songs: Holy Smoke, No Prayer for the Dying, Public Enema Number One and Run Silent, Run Deep.

Fear of the Dark (1992) (2015 Remaster) - 7.5/10. Notable songs: Be Quick or Be Dead, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Childhood's End, Wasting Love, Chains of Misery and Weekend Warrior.

The X Factor (1995) (2015 Remaster) - 4.6/10. Notable songs: Look for the Truth, Judgment of Heaven and Blood on the World's Hands.

Virtual XI (1998) (2015 Remaster) - 6.3/10. Notable songs: Lightning Strikes Twice and Como Estais Amigos.

Brave New World (2000) (2015 Remaster) - 7/10. Notable songs: Ghost of the Navigator, Blood Brothers, Out of the Silent Planet and The Thin Line Between Love and Hate.

Dance of Death (2003) (2015 Remaster) - 8.2/10. Notable songs: No More Lies, Dance of Death, New Frontier, Paschendale, Face in the Sand, Age of Innocence and Journeyman.

A Matter of Life and Death (2006) (2015 Remaster) - 6/10. Notable songs: These Colours Don't Run, Land of Light and The Legacy.

The Final Frontier (2010) (2015 Remaster) - 6/10. Notable songs: Going Home, The Alchemist, The Talisman and When the Wild Wind Blows.

The Book of Souls (2015) - 4.6/10. Notable songs: The Book of Souls, Tears of a Clown, The Man of Sorrows and Empire of Clouds.

Senjutsu (2021) - 10/10. Notable songs: Stratego, The Writing on the Wall, Days of Future Past and Death of the Celts.

Overall album score: 6.8/10.

• Applause 1

This is Adam Lambert's cover of Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero". I've watched the video quite a few times and have the song saved as a favorite on Spotify. The last half of the video gets dramatic compared to the first half so be prepared for that. It didn't bother me at all I just wasn't expecting it on my first view...😸

He has a handful of makeup tutorials on his YT account too one of which I'm adding below the music video. I still regret the fact that I got sucked into American Idol's viewer manipulation machine and didn't vote for him. I've followed his career since and have only checked to see what if anything was up with the actual winner that year Nick Allen when I've thought of him. My voting for Nick had nothing to do with the sexuality of either of them it was as I mentioned the manipulative tactics AI used back then in terms of how they would portray different participants in various ways. I quit watching a few years before the original run ended when I finally got sick of the show all together and haven't watched since. Looking back there were quite a few seasons where I wish I had voted for the person who landed in 2nd place.

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 1

I won't discuss her latest grammy appearance.  But I recall back in the day if there was someone you were interested in performing and you missed it....  you were out of luck.  No YouTube or social media back in the day.

In this grammy performance she slayed.  Like 15 squats at the end of it.   I still think of her as the most beautiful/sexy woman as a result of these days

• Like 2

So, finished up with Mylene Farmer (French pop/dance artist) discography. While I don't understand a word in French, but I liked quite a few of her songs, but got to say that she was strongest during the eighties and nineties; afterwards, her content became too dance music for my taste, but even then found something I fancied. Alternatively, one can check-out Timeless Live (2013) concert, which, in my opinion, has almost all of her songs that I liked up until that point. Or her current one XXL (2023) album, which is short, but has, as I would call them, deep-cuts, which she had throughout the decades.

So, here's subjective assessment of each album:

1. Cendres De Lune (1986) - 5.8/10

2. Sans contrefacon (1987) - 6.7/10

3. Ainsit Soit Je (1988) - 6/10

4. L'Autre (1991) - 6/10

5. Anamorphosee (1995) - 7.5/10

6. Innamoramento (1999) - 6.9/10

7. Avant que l'ombre (2005) - 5.3/10

8. Point de suture (2008) - 7.3/10

9. Bleu noir (2010) - 7.5/10

10. Monkey Me (2012) - 6.7/10

11. Interstellaires (2015) - 6.4/10

12. Desobeissance (2018) - 5/10

13. L'Emprise (2022) - 5.7/10

14. XXL (2023) - 10/10

• Applause 1

When I first saw him as a young girl in INXS's music video for "Need You Tonight/Mediate" my first thought was of course cute now I think handsome. I remember first hearing about his death on the radio in the car with my Mom not long before arriving at the Books-A-Million we were heading to. It was so surreal walking around the store with that news fresh in my mind that it's something I've never forgotten.

I always wonder if he would've ended up dying in the same way had he not ended up with what's now known as a TBI which permanently took away his senses of taste and smell. I didn't learn about that until a few years after getting online. Here's a bit about what happened from this Rolling Stone article about a doc that came out a few years ago about him.

His onetime partner, model Helena Christensen, remembers an incident in Copenhagen in 1992 when they got pizza and rode home on bikes. They stopped to eat, and a taxi driver told Michael to move, got out, and punched him with enough force to send the singer to the ground, knocking him unconscious. “There was blood coming out of his mouth and ear,” Christensen recalls. “I thought he was dead.” When he came to in the hospital, he was belligerent and insisted on being dismissed. He was laid out for a month and eventually a surgeon found he had a skull fissure and that his nerves were torn; he had lost his olfactory senses as a result. “He did not want me to tell anyone,” she says. “He didn’t even want me to tell my parents. … Things just got really heavy in his head.” His bandmates noticed he seemed different, more aggressive, when they began work on 1993’s Full Moon, Dirty Hearts.

This is an INXS song that I've always liked.  It kind of gained a new meaning after my Mom died when I started to feel really lost in my life. I didn't post the actual music video for it since it displays some sensitive topics that I wouldn't want anyone sensitive to them to have to see just coming into this thread.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1
2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I remember first hearing about his death on the radio in the car with my Mom not long before arriving at the Books-A-Million we were heading to. It was so surreal walking around the store with that news fresh in my mind that it's something I've never forgotten.

I remember hearing about his death when I was coming home from school - my school bus driver had a radio station on and the DJ announced the news. Very surprising, indeed. 

I had not heard that about him being attacked like that. Yikes. How scary. 

• Like 2

I recently went through the entire Queen repertoire. I like something in every album (except Flash Gordon), but my favorite are probably the later years, with Innuendo being my favorite album.

Favorite songs:

Too Much Love Will Kill You

Radio Ga Ga

Breakthru 

Under Pressure

Who Wants to Live Forever

These Are the Days of Our Lives

Friends Will Be Friends

I'm Going Slightly Mad

Ride the Wild Wind

The Show Must Go On

I also like Freddie's solo album, Made in Heaven and Living on My Own being my favorite songs.

And to be honest, I hope this is not considered a sacrilege, his best work is IMO the album Barcelona, with Montserrat Caballé. That is just pure perfection.

• Like 3

First heard this song from a Spotify playlist.

I don't usually listen to modern pop songs more than once anymore nowadays, so this one being memorable is a pretty big deal for me.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Like 1

Completed Poets of the Fall discography. Well, I would say, if they were conceived in the early nineties, they would be a boy-band like Nsync or Backstreets. A lot of sappy, cheesy lyrics behind rock rhythm. More than 80 percent of songs sound the same. Though, the frontman has a wow voice. But, seriously, though, a boy-band 😆

As usual, subjective assessment:

Signs of Life (2005) - 5.8/10

Carnival of Rust (2006) - 6.7/10

Revolution Roulette (2008) - 6.4/10

Twilight Theatre (2010) - 8/10

Temple of Thought (2012) - 5.7/10

Jealous Gods (2014) - 4.5/10

Clearview (2016) - 8/10

Ultraviolet (2018) - 7/10

Ghostlight (2022) - 6/10

I know I have posted a bit of Madonna and Christina Aguilera songs in this thread.  Especially Madonna.  But they are both artists I am a fan of and belong to fan boards for.  

Fan boards for pop queens seems to follow these trends:

- A number of threads get locked as discussion becomes unhealthy with fans arguing with each other

-There's a number of fans where nothing they can do is every wrong or bad

-A number of fans who enjoy talking shit about the other fan's rivals.  For Madonna the main rival there would be Lady Gaga with a scatterings of other pop stars.  For Aguilera it's Pink and Britney with scatterings of other pop stars.  

I still check in and post from time to time but try not get caught in much else.  

Recently Aguilera fans got angry at Pink for saying Kim and Mya were nice on the set of this video.  Not mentioning Christina.  That's throwing shade her way.  it's whatever to me.  The song itself is one I did like a little more better with passing time.

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Fan boards for pop queens seems to follow these trends:

- A number of threads get locked as discussion becomes unhealthy with fans arguing with each other

-There's a number of fans where nothing they can do is every wrong or bad

-A number of fans who enjoy talking shit about the other fan's rivals.  For Madonna the main rival there would be Lady Gaga with a scatterings of other pop stars.  For Aguilera it's Pink and Britney with scatterings of other pop stars.  

Wow, thanks for the info. I have never been in anything resembling fandom for music stars, I just enjoy their work. But I guess it's not so surprising that some fandoms can get just as toxic as fandoms for other media. Sad, but not surprising.