Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

I'm the opposite with Berlin songs -- I'll probably stay on the station if "Take My Breath Away"* comes on while I'm listening to the radio, but if "No More Words" (or "Metro" or "Sex") come on, I'm going to station surf and only come back to it if nothing better can be found.

*Despite my hatred of military propaganda, I do for some reason hold an affection for Top Gun, but that's not why I like the song, as I am totally bored by the sexual part of the Maverick/Charlie relationship, so that scene does nothing for me.

• Like 4
(edited)

Still on Lithuanian music, at least for now. Completed Monika Linkyte (this year's Eurovision contender) discography on Spotify and... it was mostly forgettable one time listen, and her last album there... would not even call it an album, maybe an extended play... but that's also a stretch. Half the tracks are barely a minute long. Well, at least heard that Ciuto Tuto song, which she entered Eurovision this year with, and... was not impressed.

So, here's Sisters on Wire (Lithuanian band) song from their latest album in English, because even their most meh songs is miles better than what I have listened to today.

Edited by Rushmoras
(edited)

I liked Lady Gaga from 2008-2014.  IMO she takes her self way too seriously these days. The song she did in Top Gun I thought was terrible.

But even her deep cuts like these below I liked on her first few albums

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1

So an old band I like are doing a tour! Magic Dirt. 90s indie Oz rock, very much on the grunge side. I thought I should catch up with the album they'll be playing. My initial thought, wow, this was before they got good. But then they grew on me. Not everything needs to be a banging tune.

But then, the second last track. Sigh. Some of you may be too young to remember hidden tracks. If there was some time left at the end of the last song on a tape or CD, there might be a period of silence, and then another track. Maybe a rough version of one of the official songs, or the band goofing off, something like that. On one CD, I read that the track was actually hidden before the first official one, you needed to skip back to track -1. Clever but annoying. I was never a fan.

The second last track on this album actually both starts and ends with silence. If you listen, be prepared. And the last track is heavy on the feedback. Something else I'd forgotten over the years. Not quite a nostalgia trip, but certainly a reminder of what I never hear these days. Music is constantly evolving, some past behaviours are better off in the past.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Yesterday decided to start Eurythmics discog. Besides what I have heard on the radio from Anne Lennox solo work, from Eurythmics I only knew Sweet Dreams (Are made of this) and Saved the World (because my dad way back in the nineties or early two-thousands had an MC of their album, and that's the only song that I remember from them). So far, two albums in, and I've got to say, not really liking them.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 6/3/2023 at 3:14 AM, Anduin said:

Some of you may be too young to remember hidden tracks.

A lot of them deserved to stay hidden, but there were some real finds, too.  My favorite is Alanis Morissette's "Your House" on Jagged Little Pill (there's also a different version of "You Oughta Know" as a hidden track on that album) and I also really like Brandi Carlile's "Hiding My Heart" on The Story and Tracy Chapman's "Save a Place For Me" on New Beginning.  The Indigo Girls had two hidden tracks on Come On Now Social and I like both of those.  Oh -- and the piano version of "Possession" on Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Towards Ecstasy.  A lot of good songs are springing to mind the more I think about it.  Hidden Tracks could be its own thread.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

A lot of them deserved to stay hidden, but there were some real finds, too.  My favorite is Alanis Morissette's "Your House" on Jagged Little Pill (there's also a different version of "You Oughta Know" as a hidden track on that album) and I also really like Brandi Carlile's "Hiding My Heart" on The Story and Tracy Chapman's "Save a Place For Me" on New Beginning.  The Indigo Girls had two hidden tracks on Come On Now Social and I like both of those.  Oh -- and the piano version of "Possession" on Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Towards Ecstasy.  A lot of good songs are springing to mind the more I think about it.  Hidden Tracks could be its own thread.

I agree that there are some good ones. It's just the waiting around for them that annoys me.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 6/3/2023 at 11:22 AM, Rushmoras said:

Yesterday decided to start Eurythmics discog. Besides what I have heard on the radio from Anne Lennox solo work, from Eurythmics I only knew Sweet Dreams (Are made of this) and Saved the World (because my dad way back in the nineties or early two-thousands had an MC of their album, and that's the only song that I remember from them). So far, two albums in, and I've got to say, not really liking them.

I've heard more of the Eurythmics music than what you mentioned. I've also watched a lot of their videos on YT since they didn't really have them on VH1 or MTV at the time I was old enough to start remembering what I'd see on those channels. I remembered the songs themselves more though.

I've been listening to a lot of solo Annie Lenox stuff lately which made me want to go looking for some Eurythmics content on Spoitify. I started listening to a "Greatest Hits" album of theirs from the early 90's and was surprised to hear a few of the songs on there that were new to me which were considered to be hits. 

This has been one of my favorite Annie Lenox songs and videos in general since they both came out in 92' when I was 9/10. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 6

You're a couple years older than me, then, 'cause yeah, I remember that song being on the radio a lot when I was a kid. Same with this one - I've always liked this song in particular from her:

Never saw the video for this song before now, it's a trip :D. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

You're a couple years older than me, then, 'cause yeah, I remember that song being on the radio a lot when I was a kid. Same with this one - I've always liked this song in particular from her:

Never saw the video for this song before now, it's a trip :D. 

This is one of my favourites from her. 

I loved "Your House" on Alanis' album, too. I thought of it recently.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2

I always liked the "Your House" hidden track on Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette, too. But listening to the lyrics, it is actually kind of creepy with the stalker vibes. LOL!

Oh, well. I still like it, anyway.

• Like 3

So, with the 1999 album 'Peace' I completed Eurythmics discography. Um, yeah, I think on the radio I've heard more from them than just those two songs that I've initially posted (it's just that either I never thought it was Annie Lennox singing or the radio multimedia attributed the song to her specifically and not Eurythmics as a group). Anyway, I still stand by my initial thought that I don't really like them. Their pen-ultimate album "We Too Are One" I think was the best, everything else was average (though, I can only state that for the long versions of albums on Spotify, if I have listened to the shorter versions, probably the score would be higher).

As always, subjective assessment:

1. In the Garden (1981) - 6/10

2. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (1983) - 5/10

3. Touch (1983) - 5.7/10

4. Be Yourself Tonight (1985) - 4.7/10

5. Revenge (1986) - 6.3/10

6. Savage (1987) - 5.9/10

7. We Too Are One (1989) - 6.7/10

8. Peace (1999) - 6.7/10

I disliked most Gloria Estefan songs I heard back in her heyday (especially "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You") - I objectively applauded her success, but, subjectively, was not at all a fan of the music itself - so imagine my surprise when I absolutely loved her version of the One Day at a Time theme song for the reboot.  In fact, just like the show itself, I liked the new one better.

• Like 1

Still recovering from my Persona 5 fever, so I ended up watching some video reactions to its soundtrack, specifically these two songs that I still couldn't get over.

Daredevil was a nice change of pace for veteran P5 players who were used to the world by now, with the lyrics signifying this return for players ("We know how your game is played"). I bought Persona 5 Royal on Steam, so it came with all the DLC costumes and stuff, and thanks to a mod I installed, those DLC costumes also came with bonus songs like Daredevil from the Persona 5 spin-off, "Strikers". So I pretty much listened to it a bunch by the time I played Strikers. Specifically, I would play it often during Palace 4, when the team have pretty much become experienced by then in their battles.

I Believe, on the other hand, deserves its own spotlight of recognition just because of how amazing it is as a send-off for P5 fans. The composition, the lyrics, just about everything comes together for that breathtaking experience when you arrive at that final battle. I didn't really pause much when I arrived at that palace, so I was quick to arrive at the staircase portion of the scene, which is also when I Believe arrived at its beautiful chorus:

I believe we can fly up in the sky
One day we may just be able to touch down on a star
Off the road we have to go
The roadless path we shall proceed until the end of our roles
There's no turning back for us 'cause we will never give up

This song means SO much more if you've worked your ass off completing everything before arriving at that ending, especially in the context of the story. All your hard work recognized and awarded with that beautiful song, "The roadless path we shall proceed until the end of our roles, no turning back 'coz we will never give up."

Royal was truly an unforgettable experience, with no small part due to its soundtrack. I haven't had such an emotional gaming experience for a long time (the last time I felt this way was the Mass Effect trilogy) that it's bittersweet that I must leave it behind for now. I'll leave just one more amazing track from its line-up as my send-off.

• Like 1

Started Incubus discography. The only song I know from them was during some No Doubt concert on youtube back in 2000s, when Gwen Stefani introduced them to the crowd and they did The Police's Message in a Bottle.

Um... I did not expect these kind of songs at all lol.

• Like 1

Madonna has a new song called Vulgar out with Sam Smith.  I just listened to it below

It doesn't really do a lot for me.  Maybe it's used for pride month?  I guess I'm happy Madonna still does her thing with younger artists.  It's the first time I ever heard of this Sam Smith fellow.  But he has 16.6 million subscribers on his Youtube channel so he must be popular I suppose 

And with album "8" (2017), I completed Incubus discography. From punk mixed with rap to a... I would like to say today's boyband with guitars sound, but then, I'd be insulting Imagine Dragons and the like fans :D Still, not as jarring transition as Linkin Park (though, I believe I liked their dance music tracks in the end far better than their old songs lol).

As always, subjective assessments:

1. Enjoy Incubus (1997) - 5.7/10

2. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. (1997) - 5.4/10

3. Make Yourself (1999) - 6.2/10

4. Morning View (2001)* - 7.7/10 (Don't know about this one, but have a feeling, if I should revisit it, it would be a score lower / too many songs I highlighted that I liked, but can't really much remember the album)

5. A Crow Left of Murder (2004) - 7.1/10

6. Light Grenades (2006)* - 7.7/10 (I believe, this is when they started to change their sound)

7. If Not Now, When? (2011) - 5.5/10

8. 8 (2017) - 7.3/10

17 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Todd Rundgren has always been a very cool and interesting artist to me with his own style.  Even when his voice is shot

Speaking of Todd Rundgren, I love Bang the Drum All Day

• Like 2