Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

Katie Melua's Album No. 8 (2020). Not really feeling it, I mean, it's a solid album, but in terms of quality does not hold a candle to her previous albums... something is missing...

EDIT: after listening to the ordinary version of this album, began listening to acoustic version, and... it's miles better. So, scratch my post about not feeling it.

Edited by Rushmoras

So far, Katie Melua's last album "Love and Money" (2023). Out of all the artists I've listened to, hers discography probably is one of the most most flawless to my ears.

As always, subjective assessments:

Call of the Search (2003) - 7.5/10

Piece by Piece (Special Edition) (2006) - 8/10

Pictures (2007) 8.5/10

The House (2010) - 10/10

Secret Symphony (2011) - 9.1/10

B Sides: The Tracks That Got Away (2012) - 7.8/10

Ketevan (2013) - 6.7/10

In Winter (2016) - 4/10

Album No. 8 (2020) - 8/10 / Acoustic version (2020) - 7.3/10

Aerial Objects (2022) - 8.3/10

Love and Money (2023) - 7/10

Average score: 7.65/10

And, with Norah Jone's "I Dream of Christmas" (2022), completed yet another discography. As always, subjective assessment:

1. Come Away With Me (2002) - 7.1/10

2. Feels Like Home (Deluxe Edition) (2004) - 5.6/10

3. Not Too Late (2007) - 6.9/10

4. The Fall (2009) - 6.9/10

5. Little Broken Hearts (2012) - 7.5/10

6. Foreverly (2013) - 5.8/10

7. Day Breaks (2016) - 5.8/10

8. Begin Again (2019) - 7.1/10

9. Pick Me Up Off The Floor (2020) - 6.4/10

10. I Dream of Christmas (2022) - 5.3/10

Average score of albums: 6.4/10

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 1

Well, since Stones released this year a new album, decided to listen to it. Either because I was listening to mellow and slow songs for a couple of months it seems, or for some other reason, but their Hackney Diamonds album is one of their best works. And, one of the best albums that I've heard this year (probably cause I've been listening to mellow slow stuff without much guitar oomph, so I have yet to re-develop a critique taste for what I'm hearing lol).

8.3/10

Best songs in the album (IMO):

• Like 1

Started Megadeth (never heard any of their songs before, was Metallica guy). Um, first album, yeah... it's trash metal, I mean, if Mustane's voice was any good might have liked the songs, but so far, unimpressed. The only notable song in the whole album was this (the rest were just incoherent shouting and/or mumbling over fast riffs):

Well, their second album Peace Sells... But Whose Buying? is day and night difference from their first one. Though, still, whenever Dave Mustane sings, 90 percent of the time I hear a cat mewling 🤣 and can't understand a word he is singing.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Well, their second album Peace Sells... But Whose Buying? is day and night difference from their first one. Though, still, whenever Dave Mustane sings, 90 percent of the time I hear a cat mewling 🤣 and can't understand a word he is singing.

I had a look through my metal collection. The only Megadeth album I have is an Essentials collection. And half the songs, I don't even remember. Breadline is good, A Tout Le Monde with Cristina Scabbia, Symphony of Destruction which Nightwish plays better, and the instrumental Into the Lungs of Hell.

IMO, they were a bit of an also-ran. Big-name metal bands from that era. You've got Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Sepultura, and Anthrax. They're all in the musical neighbourhood. Awfully crowded field. Not saying they're bad as such, just sort of there.

• Useful 2
22 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

That was my favorite video of Paula's as a kid. I would get excited when I'd catch it on MTV. I can't remember what kind of music VH1 was airing at the time. I also wanted that outfit pretty badly too....😄

• Like 2

Regarding Paula's songs, I can't hear "Straight Up" without thinking of being at my babysitter's house as a kid and seeing her teenage daughter walking around singing along to that song :D. 

But yeah, "Cold-Hearted Snake" is great, too, both the song and the video :). 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, Jaded said:

That was my favorite video of Paula's as a kid. I would get excited when I'd catch it on MTV. I can't remember what kind of music VH1 was airing at the time. I also wanted that outfit pretty badly too....😄

I was pretty young but still thought it was hot with her outfits dancing.  I didn't realize about the type of man she was singing about in the song though until I got older 😀

Another good video & song

Makes you wonder what happened to good pop music.  While I liked Paula's songs and videos I never got into American Idol though 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

I was quite into the My Love Is For Real clip. She has a kind of Arab harem girl thing happening. Yes, this was my early teens. Nothing since has grabbed my attention.

I had to look it up.  Didn't recall it

• Like 1
  • Love 1