Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Sixth Epica album "The Quantum Enigma" (2014).IMO, it's their best album in terms of production, sound and lyrics so far. Best songs:

Edited by Rushmoras

9th Epica Album "The Score 2.0 - An Epic Journey" (2017), which is, as I understood it, an instrumental soundtrack for a movie probably. The album technically consists of 40 songs, but from 21st track it just remastered versions of previous songs in the album.

(edited)

And with Alchemy Project (2022), which was basically collabs with other bands, completed Epica discography. Best songs in the album:

As always, subjective assessments:

1. The Phantom Agony (Expanded Edition) (2003) - 6.8/10 [Best songs: Cry for the Moon, Run for a Fall & Triumph of Defeat]

2. Consign to Oblivion (Expanded Edition) (2005) - 7.8/10 [Best songs: Force of the Shore, Mother of Light - A New Age Dawns 2 & Trois Vierges]

3. The Divine Conspiracy (2007) - 8.5/10 [Best songs: Chasing the Dragon, Never Enough, Safeguard to Paradise & Sancta Terra]

4. Design Your Universe (Gold - Deluxe Edition) (2009) - 6.8/10 [Best songs: Martyr of the Free Word, Burn to Cinder & White Waters]

5. Requiem for the Indifferent (2012) - 8/10 [Best songs: Storm the Sorrow, Guilty Demeanour, Deter the Tyrant, Serenade of Self-Destruction & Nostalgia]

6. The Quantum Enigma (2014) - 6.4/10 [Best songs: Chemical Insomnia, Reverence - Living in the Heart, Canvas of Life, Natural Corruption & The Quantum Enigma - Kingdom of Heaven, Part II]

6.1. The Quantum Enigma - B Sides (2014) - 6.7/10 [Best new song: Dreamscape]

7. The Holographic Principle (2016) - 7.6/10 [Best songs: Beyond the Matrix, Tear Down Your Walls & Dancing in the Gypsy Camp]

8. The Score 2.0 - An Epic Journey (2017) - 6/10 [Best songs: Under the Aegis, Angel of Death & Quietus - Score 2.0 Version]

9. Epica VS Attack on Titans Songs (2018) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: If Inside these Walls was a House & Dedicate Your Heart!]

10. Omega (2021) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Gaia, Kingdom of Heaven Part 3 - The Antediluvian Universe, Synergize - Manic Manifest - & Twilight Reverie - The Hypnagogic State]

11. The Alchemy Project (2022) - 5.7/10 [Best song: The Miner]

Average Score: 7.1/10

Edited by Rushmoras

I know just a few older songs from Within Temptation and I like those. Now I see they are really good guys too. They just did a collaboration with Ukrainian musician Alex Yarmak to help raise awareness of the ongoing war.

22 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Second Roxette album "Look Sharp!" (1988). Just as good as the first one.

Marie Fredriksson had such a beautiful voice. Per Gessie's wasn't bad either and they complemented each other so well when singing together. I admit to having had a crush on Per as a kid....😊

So I was at a restaurant/brewery, Gage Roads in Fremantle, that had a logo in the same font as Stranger Things. So I got thinking about 80s synth, Blade Runner, and Vangelis. I've always loved Fields of Coral.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

So this is funny. The band Slayer retired in 2019. In the time between then and now, I wondered if any of the individual members would go on to other projects, or stay out of action. Today, YT graced me with a music video from Kerry King, guitarist and songwriter. It doesn't quite sound like Slayer, because of the other people having their own styles, but it's pretty close. Turns out, he and his cohorts have an album coming out soon. Furthermore, Wikipedia tells me that Slayer are indeed getting back together. Just for a few festival shows, or is there a new album in the works?

Anyway, Residue is a damn good tune if you like metal.

• Like 1

While music usually triggers happy memories it can the opposite as well.  2012/2013ish was some pretty tough times for me.  But I recall liking this song

• Like 4
(edited)

Just listened to the newest Taylor Swift album that dropped (decided to go with the simple, not extended/deluxe version on Spotify).  The songs that stood out the most in her album for me was Fortnight, Florida, Guilty as Sin, Whose Afraid of Little Old Me? & Cara Bow.

However, most of the album sounds exactly the same. I guess, she has been consistent with this ever since her third album, I guess?

Overall, from first listening I'd rate it 6.9 out of 10. So, actually on par with her best albums for me (1989 (Deluxe Edition) [6.9 out of 10 as well for me] & Folklore (Deluxe Version) [7.1 out of 10 this one].

Edited by Rushmoras
(edited)

Been listening to Taylor Swift's new album (the long version). While I do like "Florida!!!," All the songs sound the same to me. Very melodramatic. Rather disappointing.

I think "Florida!!!" stands out because of the obvious influence of Florence Welch (of Florence and the Machine).

For the record, I wasn't just casually curious about her new album. I'm a pretty big Swift fan (which shocks people who know me).

I love Red and really like 1989 and Lover. This isn't any of those albums.

Edited by WritinMan
Added stuff.
  • Like 1

I follow a streamer who held a listening party at midnight my time, that night, and she said the second lot was the album she wanted.  I thought it mostly sounded the same, too - especially the songs like “daddy I love him”. All of the references to school, and swings, and the one people say is about Kim kardashian.  

yesterday, Fiona Apple was trending, because someone called her a “pick me” in an article.  Fiona Apple is not a pick me.  
but I do love her confidence in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQk0xTwZumo

since I can’t paste links, it’s extraordinary machine.  

I’ve also always loved this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlnO1EwCT4&list=RDCmlnO1EwCT4&start_radio=1

Seventh Roxette album "Room Service" (2001). Enjoyment wise, does not hold a candle to their previous albums. Still, judging from the number of liked songs it gonna be at least a seven...

Second CD of the album is good, though.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 3