Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

I always liked what I heard of Bananarama but never dove too much into their albums.  

I like this video but it looks so old school today!  Which is part of the charm 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

I always liked what I heard of Bananarama but never dove too much into their albums.  

I love "Cruel Summer" every bit as much today as when I first heard it 40 years ago, but I never had their albums.  The only other song of theirs that comes to mind is their cover of "Venus"; I don't think I'd ever previously heard their cover of "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" until you posted it.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love "Cruel Summer" every bit as much today as when I first heard it 40 years ago, but I never had their albums.  The only other song of theirs that comes to mind is their cover of "Venus"; I don't think I'd ever previously heard their cover of "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" until you posted it.

The scene to me in Karate Kid with Daniel riding his bike to school with that song in the background is iconic.

Maybe you heard this song before?  It's still gets air time on 80s on 8

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, BlueSkies said:

Maybe you heard this song before?

Oh, yeah - I forgot that was them.  I think that's on some '80s compilation CD I have, but I haven't listened to it in quite a while.

For a couple of days been listening to local artist Žilvinas Žvagulis discography on Spotify. In Lithuania, we have a term for such music - užstalės dainos, which would roughly translate to "songs that you'd sing in a group while feasting and drinking" 😀Anyway, here's one of the better songs of his called "Vargšas Turtuolis" (eng. Poor Richguy).

Approximate lyrics:

Verse 1:

A bench in city's park and an endless
Sky above my head is my home.
All I have are a couple of coins in
My pocket and this dusty old road, but it's enough...

Verse 2:
On the street, the passerbies will flow as if a river,
While my fingers will touch the strings that buzz.
Afterwards, I will stretch out my hand - give me what you can
Or, if you can't, then let this song play for free...

Verse 3:
Only one thought you all have in your mind:
Without lot he still smiles,
Without home he's still happy and does not owe anyone.
His biggest treasure - another day that goes by...

Chorus 1:

As it is, so let it be.
I'd never tried this happiness for anything.
Let the dogs bark, let the caravan flow,
Let the content mob laugh.
You can never weight happiness, cause it is priceless.
What then makes you happier than me?

Verse 4:
Where are you heading, what do you still want?
Come hither and look at me:
Lotless, but happy; homeless, but rich,
Even though that all of my treasure is only this song...

Chorus 2:
As it is, so let it be.
I'd never tried this happiness for anything.
Let the dogs bark, let the caravan flow,
Let the content mob laugh.
You can never weight happiness, cause it is priceless.
What then makes you happier than me?

• Like 2

I also love this one from our local singer, she was big for a while in 90's and early 2000's, then kind of vanished from the music scene. I loved the song even as a kid when I didn't relate to the lyrics yet 🙃. (Translation of the name: I want to play fair.)

Translation:

I am not one of those who can be

sweet, gentle and innocent.

Pretending that everything is ok.

Even when the love has lost its plot.

So understand me.

You will manage, I hope, to be alone for a while.

You have known for a long time that I am not one to be

faithful to only one love for ever and ever.

That is not me, so why waste any useless words.

I want to play fair, not a fake, awkward show.

So understand me.

Chorus:

You want to have the one you dream about.

The one you'll never loose.

But I'm not the giving type.

Please let go of me, I have to go.

You know well that I'm no angel.

So understand that and make peace with it.

I want to be free while I can.

I want to play fair, so make peace with it.

So make peace with it...

So understand me.

Chorus 3x:

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
23 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I also love this one from our local singer, she was big for a while in 90's and early 2000's, then kind of vanished from the music scene. I loved the song even as a kid when I didn't relate to the lyrics yet 🙃. (Translation of the name: I want to play fair.)

Translation:

Pretending that everything is ok.

Even when the love has lost its plot.

So understand me.

You have known for a long time that I am not one to be

faithful to only one love for ever and ever.

So understand me.

Chorus:

So make peace with it...

So understand me.

Chorus 3x:

Is it Czech?

So, Norah Jones released her newest album a couple of days ago called Visions (2024). Decided to listen to it. Well, it's classic Norah Jones jazz/blues songs. I think it's more or less on par with her penultimate album, which I've rated before.

5.8/10

• Useful 1

Started Evanascence discography. I actually still have their first CD somewhere along with Live in Paris DVD lol. Nostalgia is hard thing, especially when you haven't listened to a band in decades. At first glance, the album for me was 10/10, but after a second hearing, nah, handful of songs went out from Spotify library list ;)

• Like 2

Evanescence was my thing when I was a teenager. I could probably still remember all the texts from Fallen and Open Door, plus several pre-Fallen songs that I downloaded from some sketchy website.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Evanescence was my thing when I was a teenager. I could probably still remember all the texts from Fallen and Open Door, plus several pre-Fallen songs that I downloaded from some sketchy website.

The more I listen to them, the more I realize that, sadly, Amy Lee did not create anything better since Fallen album (at least for me)... Though, only three albums in; here's hoping to hear at least something on par with their first album... But I get the feeling it will be a Within Temptation thingy...

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

The more I listen to them, the more I realize that, sadly, Amy Lee did not create anything better since Fallen album (at least for me)... Though, only three albums in; here's hoping to hear at least something on par with their first album... But I get the feeling it will be a Within Temptation thingy...

Well, Fallen was a masterpiece, so I agree with you there 😉.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I only know some of Evanescence's singles, but I do like the few songs I have heard by them. I definitely remember loving "Bring Me to Life" and "My Immortal" back in the day. Still like those songs. 

I saw Evanescence last year when they opened for Muse. They put on a great show and Amy's voice sounded fantastic. Honestly, given some of my particular musical tastes, I'm kind of surprised I somehow never delved deeper into their discography before. 

• Like 2

My favorite Moroccan Amazigh Band/Youtube discovery Meteor Airlines has a new album out.  One of my favorite tracks is Mani Aman (Where is the Water?)

• Like 1

Well, listened to penultimate album from Evanescence and this is their second or third album that they simply do their old songs in different style. Am I even allowed to say that I find this lazy?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Well, listened to penultimate album from Evanescence and this is their second or third album that they simply do their old songs in different style. Am I even allowed to say that I find this lazy?

I have 4 different versions of Imaginary in my playlist 🤣.

• LOL 2
On 3/19/2024 at 5:53 PM, BlueSkies said:

Oh, I loved that song at the time and still like it, but I have absolutely no memory of the video.  The actor playing the woman looks too young for Higgins, so I looked her up and apparently she was only seventeen, when he was nearly 40.  Gross. 

(Of course, as disturbingly common as it remains, the prevalance of such age discrepancies was even worse then, not to mention back at the time of the "Bogey and Bacall" relationship lionized by the song.)

And with The Bitter Truth (2021), completed Evanescence discography. The last album was... in alright, I guess? At least it had ton of new songs as opposed to all others that I've listened to since Open Doors lol.

As always, subjective assessments of each album:

1. Fallen (2003) - 6.7/10

2. The Open Door (2006) - 6.9/10

3. Evanescence [DELUXE EDITION] (2011) - 5.6/10

4. Lost Whispers (2016) - 6.7/10

5. Synthesis (2017) - 6.9/10

6. The Bitter Truth (2021) - 8.3/10*

* While I did not find any of the songs to be that good to warrant such a high score, however, since this time they actually made some new songs, this album stood out the most. However, my complaint, ever since their 3rd album, is that most of their songs and vocals sound exactly the same...

On 3/22/2024 at 1:48 AM, Bastet said:

Oh, I loved that song at the time and still like it, but I have absolutely no memory of the video.  The actor playing the woman looks too young for Higgins, so I looked her up and apparently she was only seventeen, when he was nearly 40.  Gross. 

I guess the best thing about that video is the fact that those two didn't kiss.....😐

• LOL 1