Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

The song title was apparently an ode to Kurt Cobain, who died around the time this song came out. It was a minor alternative hit, but it seemed like the band For Squirrels was about to break through from it.

Then, as they were starting a tour to build on it, there was a bus crash. The lead singer and I believe one or two other band members were killed or hurt, and that was the end of the group. (Read it on Wikipedia when wondering whatever became of the group.) Way too tragic.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2019 at 7:21 PM, WendyCR72 said:

No, I'm sorry! Tone is so hard to convey in just words sometimes!  🙂

No it's more like it wasn't a funny joke! 😄 (The crux of the joke being that if Nirvana would have been fine without Kurt, Nirvana would still exist and the Foo Fighters would not.)

I've always loved the fact that with this song George Michael made light of his arrest, pissed off the arresting officer to the point he tried to sue and it gave him a comeback of sorts. My favorite part of this video will always be the disco themed restroom. 🤣💖

• Love 1

Believe it or not, the acto—er, people on Love & Hip Hip actually make music sometimes. Well, some of them. My favorite song from anyone who’s ever been on that show is this one by Margeaux. She’s Canadian, biracial, and actually came off normal-ish on the show (well, she divorced her husband Nikko, who went on to make a sex tape with another woman with a young daughter and sold it, and started dating a woman. Point still stands.). She released this song a few years ago about her breakup with Nikko, but it’s a nice slice of sleek, progressive pop. It sounds very current even after a few years. Kinda wish she would re-record it with more dramatic vocals, but lyrically it’s very good for a pop song. 

Edited by 27bored

Speaking of George, I've been listening to some of Whitney's old stuff lately, and I feel like this song should have definitely made a bigger impact than it did. I can imagine that between Whitney and George's personal problems at that time, any attempt at getting both artists to participate in  promotional efforts would have been futile.

Say what you will about George Michael, but he is the only one that had the balls to go toe-to-toe with both Whitney and Aretha in duets and was able to hold his own. I give him credit for that.

• Love 4

Recent winner of The Voice Germany, Claudia Emmanuella Santoso  (also look for her cover of Run by Snow Patrol, it was great): 

Edited by adhoc
It's a longer clip because the audience asks her to sing it again, and she does!
  • Love 1

I can't stop listening to this "Higher" by Ally Brooke, it's one hell of a dance song. 

The only thing I find a little strange about this song are the lyrics. At first I didn't pay much attention & just assumed it was your basic love song, but listening to it more closely, it almost sounds like someone who is dying & going to heaven. I don't know if that's correct or I'm just reading too much into it, but here are the lyrics so that you can judge for yourself.

4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I don't know what Brooke intended, GaT, but there's certainly more than enough in the lyrics to validate that interpretation of it. It's not a reach at all.

Glad to hear it's not just me LOL

The way he could stand in one spot, sway back and forth and emit such a reaction always amuses me in a good way. This video was in the recommended section on YT today.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm loving just about everything about Lizzo lately. Here's a good one.

I’ve been playing flute for close to 25 years so yea... Lizzo is my jam! Love that because of her  playing the flute is becoming more popular 🙂

• Love 2

I've been listening to the 2 disc companion to Ken Burns' Country Music for the last two weeks.  I've had Emmylou Harris' Boulder to Birmingham on an almost constant loop since Friday; her inescapable grief in that song has fit the mood of a devastatingly difficult weekend for my family.

• Love 4

I listened to this as a joke because someone said it's "so bad it's good" but the joke is on me because now I'm addicted to it. It's just so catchy.

Her album Heartstrings has some genuinely good tracks. I'm disappointed she has apparently given up on music. I think she does ambient dream pop really well. Better than Kacey Musgraves.

• Love 1