Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

New Therion song! I agree that it's a little bit more of the same. You could easily drop it on anything from Theli onwards, but Christofer Johnsson said that was the point. To do a kind of greatest hits album, except new. Playing to the masses, I suppose. And as a member of the masses, who likes a catchy tune, I like it.

New Einherjer track!

Okay, it does sound just like their last album. But their last album was a good one. I'm not about to complain. They're still my favourite viking metal band, and probably in my top 10 overall.

On the other hand, the new Therion song doesn't move me.

Reminds me of Within Temptation. And I haven't liked much from WT in the last ten years or so. Someone in the comments said Leaves Eyes, and I can hear that too. But again, it doesn't move me. Therion are another top 10 entry, but their last album didn't grab me.

Still, I'll listen to both albums in full before making up my mind. And I'll probably buy both. 🙂

Every once in while, Amazon Prime really does know what I need. Talking Heads concert film Stop Making Sense. I hadn't watch this since I was a college stoner and it is better than I remembered.

ETA Different tour, but about the same time, I saw them live. At one point David Byrne decided to climb a huge speaker stack and I was worried he would fall off it and break his neck. (Not that drug induced paranoia played a role in that.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

New Kesha album - Sadly a big MEH. Not embarrassing but pretty disappointing.

New Halsey album - Strong in the beginning and then lots of filler at the end. I still think it's great if you like more chill pop rather than straight bops and you know that she doesn't have an incredible singing voice. Good songwriting in the tracks on the first half of the album. 

Zeal & Ardor - Live in London. I've been listening to them on YT for a while and finally decided to shell out. I picked that album because it had my three favourite songs. They're quite a surprising band. Proof that damn near anything can be mixed together to produce something new and cool. In this case, metal and African-American spirituals.

Go listen or read their bio.

I have never been in this forum before so I wanted to check it out to see if the new collab between Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak had been posted.          I am taken back a lot of years listening and loving this song, Leave the Door Open.

Just a little vent, because all these folks on Youtube who critique songs are all saying its Motown inspired. NOT !   With the exception of some influence of David Ruffin's and Eddie Kendricks vocals, its all the other non-Motown groups like the Delfonics, Stylistics, and the Dramatics that imo are what they were aiming for.  The bridge with the da da da da  is definitely Earth Wind and Fire esq.   There are some very Bruno back and forth lyrics too, some of which are pretty funny.

An extremely talented bunch of musicians, singers and dancers with a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d4yW6Lz_1o

Finally got a chance to see David Byrne's American Utopia tonight. I really enjoyed it, and it got me on a Talking Heads/David Byrne binge :D. I was really happy to hear this song in there-it's a beautiful song as it is, but in the context of that concert, it got me all emotional:

• Love 2
On 3/22/2021 at 4:46 PM, samajo said:

THE ROOP - Discoteque

You from Lithuania by any chance?

As for my self, I'm listening to Within Temptation "Mother Earth" (2000) full album.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Love 1

I discovered them through Sharon doing a guest appearance on the first Avantasia album, but picked this up soon after. Possibly my favourite from them. The only challenger would be The Silent Force. However, their next one I didn't like, and kind of tuned out from them afterwards. You think I should give them another shot?

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I discovered them through Sharon doing a guest appearance on the first Avantasia album, but picked this up soon after. Possibly my favourite from them. The only challenger would be The Silent Force. However, their next one I didn't like, and kind of tuned out from them afterwards. You think I should give them another shot?

Never listened to their full albums before, though, knew the group since Mother Earth Single. Somehow only listened to their singles like Mother Earth, Ice Queen, Angels, Memories etc. A couple of days ago decided to listen to their full discography, starting from their debut album Enter in 1997, and... well, it was not my cup of tea, but this one is good.

Also, their last song in the album - In Perfect Harmony - damn, belongs in a Disney animated movie or somewhere along the lines. Its so cute and cuddly and melodic and whatnot that it brought joy to my soul 😭

Edited by Rushmoras
6 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Never listened to their full albums before, though, knew the group since Mother Earth Single. Somehow only listened to their singles like Mother Earth, Ice Queen, Angels, Memories etc. A couple of days ago decided to listen to their full discography, starting from their debut album Enter in 1997, and... well, it was not my cup of tea, but this one is good.

Also, their last song in the album - In Perfect Harmony - damn, belongs in a Disney animated movie or somewhere along the lines. Its so cute and cuddly and melodic and whatnot that it brought joy to my soul 😭

I suppose I should listen to the later albums myself, then. And since you like WT, you might also like Therion, Nightwish, and Leaves Eyes. Angelic singers backed up my headbangers is a real subgenre.

13 hours ago, Anduin said:

I suppose I should listen to the later albums myself, then. And since you like WT, you might also like Therion, Nightwish, and Leaves Eyes. Angelic singers backed up my headbangers is a real subgenre.

Yeah, I know Nightwish since 2000s. Have all of their albums 🙂Some time in the future, gonna try out your other recommendations when I will be in the mood.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/20/2021 at 3:43 PM, xaxat said:

This tweet introduced me to the Linda Lindas, a high school girl punk band.

I saw them in Moxie.  It's a problematic film with some real positives, but their scene is fun.  I don't know why they're suddenly getting internet attention several months later, but good for them because they're great.

Edited by Bastet

Within Temptation "The Heart of Everything" Full Album (2007). Man, this album rocks, near perfect, this is like the music I grew up with; effin nostalgia, man. Every song takes me back.