Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

Decided to listen to something else for a change (not heavy music), and thought I'd give Dire Straits ago (I liked their Sultans of Swing and couple of other songs) thinking that they gonna give me good vibes... and... I was effin right. Their debut album is so chill its simply amazing. I think I found my new favorite music sound.

• Love 3
On 7/23/2021 at 12:38 PM, Rushmoras said:

Decided to listen to something else for a change (not heavy music), and thought I'd give Dire Straits ago (I liked their Sultans of Swing and couple of other songs) thinking that they gonna give me good vibes... and... I was effin right. Their debut album is so chill its simply amazing. I think I found my new favorite music sound.

Check out their live version of their song, Romeo and Juliet (originally on their Making Movies album; this version was from their 1983 live album, Alchemy):

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 9:06 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Check out their live version of their song, Romeo and Juliet (originally on their Making Movies album; this version was from their 1983 live album, Alchemy):

Yeah, that's one of their songs I was familiar with. Simply good.

Now, I'm listening to the very first Eminem album (no, not Slim Shady LP, which came out in 1999); Infinite (came out in 1996). Fun fact, Em sold it from the trunk of his car to everyone, who were interested in. Let me tell you, its quite different from what you got from him since 1999-2004. Majority of the album is more of some kind of old-school rap, which predates gansta-rap (I don't know, reminds me of RUN DMC and the like). Em there is rapping slowly, the beat is unmemorable, but the flow is there. I'm kinda understand why Dr Dre saw potential in him, if this was that album, which Eminem gave to him to listen to. Also fun fact, in rare tracks section (1 through 9) - there's Slim Shady origins. I guess, Dr. Dre encouraged Em to risk it and take up this persona for Slim Shady LP album.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Love 2

I don't seek out new music as often as I should these days, but sometimes I rely on YT for suggestions. Today it gave me this. Unexpected and away from my usual tastes, but I think I like it.

Been so long--years in fact--since I listened to Bob Dylan's Visions of Johanna, and memories and emotions just came flooding by when iTunes played this from my Favorites Mix yesterday. Been listening to the Blonde on Blonde album since.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

Metallica "St Anger" Full Album. Help, my ears are bleeding from the god-awful drum and guitar sound. Its probably the worst album of Metallica that I have ever heard. 🤮

It might be their second-worst album overall, rivalled only by the one they did with Lou Reed. But why are you torturing yourself like that?

• Useful 1
46 minutes ago, Anduin said:

It might be their second-worst album overall, rivalled only by the one they did with Lou Reed. But why are you torturing yourself like that?

Cause I'm listening to their entire discography on youtube. :D

14 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

Cause I'm listening to their entire discography on youtube. :D

Rookie mistake. They've been pretty iffy since 1996. God, I still remember how disappointing Until It Sleeps was. I've come around on it since, but at the time it was terrible.

Edited by Anduin
  • Love 1

Maroon 5 released a new album called "Jordi" back in June.  It contains the songs "Memories", which I think is at least two years old by now, as well as the recent hit "Beautiful Mistake" with Megan Thee Stallion.  I'll have to listen to it some more, but the rest of the songs are fairly forgettable to me.

I remember not particularly liking "Red Pill Blues" either.  It had "What Lovers Do" and "Girls Like You" (and the deluxe edition had "Don't Wanna Know") but I thought that album was fairly forgettable too.  Both albums had lots of boring songs IMO.

Unlike "V", which featured "Maps", "Animals", and "Sugar", and in addition, the non-releases were all mostly pretty good as well.

The Wallflowers also just released a new album after about 10 years I think.  I thought they had broken up, like Matchbox Twenty did.  Will need to listen to this one as well some more, but I kind of like it.  I don't think they are ever going to find the success that they did in the early 90s with "One Headlight" again, but I am glad to see they are still making music.

New Cradle of Filth video! I've been a fan since 1994. You know, it's sometimes weird to realise that I've loved a band over half my life. I'm not exactly complaining, it's more how did that happen kind of thing. Where did the time go?

While I don't love every album*, the new single is damn good. It's a promising sign for the upcoming album. Uh, content warning time. Fake blood, Satanic imagery, slavery. Not for watching at work or around sensitive ears or eyes. Anyway, I like it.

*If anyone cares, my top three are Dusk, Nymphetamine, and Principle.

So far, three good albums in a row (though, the first two were a bit too edgy for my liking, though, teenager me would have swallowed them all up).

Regarding Metallica's discography, well... Hardwired to... Self Destruct was probably their best "new" album, it was definately better than Saint Anger and Death Magnetic, whether it was better or on the same level as Reload? Hard to say...

On 8/21/2021 at 5:34 AM, Rushmoras said:

Metallica "St Anger" Full Album. Help, my ears are bleeding from the god-awful drum and guitar sound. Its probably the worst album of Metallica that I have ever heard. 🤮

So I’m having allergy problems today, my eyes are watering and as I was skimming I misread Metallica as Madonna. That was a confusing 5 seconds. 

• LOL 6

So, I finished up Linkin Park discography just recently with One More Light. And I've got to say... from hard rock ranging on heavy metal to pop with synthesizers... they might be the most changed band that I ever had the pleasure to listen to.

• Love 1

Listening to this throwback. I used to think I just liked the song for the music and passionate feel of it; it reminds me of being young and falling for a bad boy. But the lyrics really are relatable for many women. I know many in their 20s and 30s and even older who've been that sweet pretty girl who gets hurt but can't leave an evil man alone. 

I'm listening to the latest CD from OneRepublic called "Human".  I think this just came out but it's weird because apparently five of the tracks were previously released over the past two years.  They said the album was delayed for COVID, but I wasn't sure if it wasn't finished yet, or if they just delayed it so they can promote it better with a tour.

I like most of the songs, especially the first track called "Run".  It's very eerie though, there is a song called "Didn't I" that has a similar feel and similar sounding lines that rise up in pitch, just like the Backstreet Boys' "Chances".  I was convinced that Ryan Tedder ripped off "Chances" so I looked it up.  Apparently he wrote (or co-wrote) "Chances".  Still seems a bit strange that he would use such a similar sounding song for his own group's CD.

Edited by blackwing
2 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

This one is going to the top!  Am I the only one who thinks this is a kickass dance song????

I find it annoying that they're using old footage of themselves for the video. They used avatars of their younger selves in the other video & now this. If they're going to make music years later than their heyday (which I don't have a problem with), they should just admit they're a lot older & stop hiding behind their younger selves.

As for the song, it's not really my type of music, it sounds kind of sock hopish to me. It's no Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! :-) 

5 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

The video portion was something the OP put together privately. The official Abba video for this song isn't released yet. 

Ahh, thanks for the info. Hopefully they won't do something similar when the official video does get released.

So, I was listening to Eminem's Revival album and... is this the one where people began saying that Eminem lost his touch and after a couple of months he produced a banger of an album called Kamikaze? Because, if this is the one that they were talking about then, yeah... I think the only good songs in it was River and Heat.

This song is so not my kind of music, but I heard it when Nick Music was on the TV, & it got stuck in my head & won't go away. I do not understand why most of the comments on the video are in Korean, so there is obviously something about him that I don't know, & I've never heard of him or any other songs he's released. Anyway, this is "Let It Ring" by Reiley.

13 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Recently got back into listening to The Moon and the Nightspirit again

The first minute or so sounds like the intro to a black metal album. Any moment will come a distorted guitar riff and a scream like a banshee being tortured... It finally did kick off, but not quite how I wanted or enough.

It's fine for what it is. I don't mind some dreamy folk from time to time. But it doesn't really grab me.

So I finally listened to ABBA's new album and I agree that it sounds great. I only started listening to their old songs few years ago, so I am not an expert, but it sounded a lot like their previous music. If I didn't know that there were what 30? 40? years inbetween them, I would have never guessed that.

• Love 4

Continuing with Black Sabbath discography. Heaven and Hell (1980). Oh, my fucking God. Replacing Ozzy with Dio was fucking raddest thing to do, because, woah, from the first fucking song, this album is a-fucking-fantastic.

• Love 1

So I saw a YT video with the title 'I listened to all 315 Buckethead albums' or something like that. No, I thought. Surely it's hyperbole. Guess what? It isn't. Currently 329, not counting groups he's been in or guest appearances. I gather it's not that he's so prolific, he just records himself playing around, testing things, and releases it.

Looking through the list, I discovered he'd done 13 albums with Viggo Mortenson! Aragorn himself! Both pre and post LOTR. So when I did a search for the two of them, the first one to pop up was Pandemoniumfromamerica. No spaces in there. Also featuring Viggo's son and some other LOTR cast members. Only one allusion to LOTR, the last track is called Half Fling.

Well, it's certainly an album. It certainly has music, spoken word, and singing on it. Other than that, I'm not sure I'm into it. Still, it's interesting.

OK, enough with heavy metal for a while, its time for some acoustic rock 😀

Listening to Vonda Shepard (you may know her from her role as a piano player in each episodes of Ally McBeal)

Edited by Rushmoras
4 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Listening to Vonda Shepard (you may know her from her role as a piano player in each episodes of Ally McBeal)

I didn't watch that show, but I remember reading she was on it; that explained why suddenly more people recognized her music when I had it on.  I played the hell out of her song "Maryland" back in the day:

• Love 1

Second album of Vonda "Radical Light"

Che, the first song in the album was actually the theme song of Ally six years prior to the show 😀 Absolutely amazing chillax music. 🎷

Edited by Rushmoras