Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Do shows go through an inevitable period of decline?

I remember when Arrow was in S5 I watched it, cursing it. At the same time I was watching Fresh Off the Boat and it was my golden child of a show. It could do no wrong. It delivered on expectations and then gave me extra great stuff I wasn't expecting. Meanwhile Oliver was regressing and learning the same lesson over and over again.

Well guess what? Now in S5 of FotB it appears that my favourite Jessica is regressing and learning the same lesson, making the same mistakes, same behavioural patterns over and over again. I was forgiving towards it in S4 even though it was headed that way, since she is such a favourite of mine. Plus the character comes with a certain level of aggressiveness that is an inherent part of her. But it's S5 and she's like turning into the Jessica Huang version of Oliver Queen.

I used to think it was just shit writers on Arrow who couldn't really write/ran out of ideas.  My FotB writers were supposed to be better than that! Is it like this for every show?

Thank Goodness there is Bess in Madam Secretary who is never hit with the stupid stick although her once perfect husband Henry is getting grating.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I never really regularly watched the original Charmed but I'd seen enough episodes to be curious about a reboot.  It was not a well put together episode.  I swear there were chunks cut out that must have made it make more sense at times.  I didn't hate who was cast but also didn't love them.  They all were kind of meh and forgettable though again, I didn't actively dislike any of them at least.  There was a kind of forced rah, rah, sisters vibe to it that didn't ring true.  The kind of thing where they say something about it and then cue the fake laughter.  

I think the only unique thing I found about the show was the eldest sister trying to use science to understand and tackle witchcraft.  (Like when she used baking soda to vaporize the baddie)

I can't really get a feel for how other viewers would react.  Not positive if I'll give it another episode or not.  

I watched the original Charmed a lot when I was younger, to the point where I could probably pass a quiz on the show, so I definitely had different expectations than someone who may not have watched the original show at all. But even then, putting aside my own comparisons, I didn't find the pilot that good. The majority of it was the writing, because the acting was decent. But I find many of the problems stemming from shows start with the writing, though. 

I liked the eldest and youngest sisters but the middle one had much of the forced dialogue, which put me off of her as a character. I also did not like Harry the Whitelighter, but THAT has to do with this whitelighter being vastly different from the original show's whitelighter.

I'll likely watch, but I'll probably be snarking on it unless it gets better.

20 hours ago, SleepDeprived said:

Has anyone seen The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix?

I'm absolutely LOVING it.  And I'm not a horror movie/show type of person, but the cast was too full of people I like and the reviews were really good.  So glad we tried it.  I absolutely love the structure with the flashbacks and the revisits to everybody's POV.  It's both tragic and so, so creepy!  I have most definitely watched through my fingers on more than one occasion.  I'm only 6 episodes in and I can't wait to get home to see what happens next.  After episode 5

Spoiler

I just kept randomly busting out with, "Oh my God, Nellie's the bent-neck lady!!!".  Cracks my sister up.  But seriously, I just didn't see that coming.

I might have turned on a few extra lights the last couple of nights...

• Love 1
6 hours ago, JenMD said:

I'm absolutely LOVING it.  And I'm not a horror movie/show type of person, but the cast was too full of people I like and the reviews were really good.  So glad we tried it.  I absolutely love the structure with the flashbacks and the revisits to everybody's POV.  It's both tragic and so, so creepy!  I have most definitely watched through my fingers on more than one occasion.  I'm only 6 episodes in and I can't wait to get home to see what happens next.  After episode 5

Reveal hidden contents

I just kept randomly busting out with, "Oh my God, Nellie's the bent-neck lady!!!".  Cracks my sister up.  But seriously, I just didn't see that coming.

I might have turned on a few extra lights the last couple of nights...

LISTEN!!! I started suspecting that spoiler during Luke's episode (episode 4) when he kept talking about how he felt

with his arms and legs feeling so stiff and being so, so cold and then the constant rubbing at his neck, like it hurt so bad

and then I got to episode 5 and we definitively found out what happened and I was sobbing! I was just full on sobbing throughout episodes 5 and 6 with squeaks of surprise when creepy stuff happened.

I like watching horror movies and scaring myself silly but, honestly, I almost didn't care about the scary/creepy stuff in the show. It was the family drama that seriously hooked me and compelled me to finish the entire thing in one sitting. That was a productive Saturday. Heh. @bijoux and @tennisgurl, I really hope you watch it. It's seriously one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

• Love 2

Has anyone watched True Detective? It's been recommended to me a couple times by different people and I decided to give it a try for something different and I'm starting to think I watched to much soapy dramas because I'm finding it hard to follow. I have had to like replay the first episode 3 times and I'm still a little lost why they are interviewing certain characters in their investigation and what certain scenes have to do with anything. Is it just me? 

Edited by Mary0360

Ewww I got Chris Pratt!!! I do not like Chris Pratt or find him remotely attractive!!!!!!!

Booo

https://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodward/plan-your-wedding-well-give-you-a-celebrity-husband

WHEEEEEE Changed my answers and got John Legend!!!! Squeeee

That's more like it!

Only changed the dress (they were all very similar), cake and venue anyways! The important stuff stayed the same! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Ewww I got Chris Pratt!!! I do not like Chris Pratt or find him remotely attractive!!!!!!!

Booo

https://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodward/plan-your-wedding-well-give-you-a-celebrity-husband

WHEEEEEE Changed my answers and got John Legend!!!! Squeeee

That's more like it!

Only changed the dress (they were all very similar), cake and venue anyways! The important stuff stayed the same! 

Got Pratt too, lol.  

They may look like insects to him, but they look like leaves to me.  Did your son get his love of bog creatures from his father?

I took the quiz and got Ryan Reynolds. Yay me!

You value fun and laughter in a relationship, but you also need a man who's loving and committed to family. Ryan Reynolds is your perfect match, and it's safe to say he'll have everyone in hysterics when it comes to the speeches.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I’ve very confused by Riverdale. What is this show?

A generally Darker take on the Archie Comics. Show is based on Afterlife with Archie which is a Dark version of Archie Comics and yeah it's Batshit Crazy including stuff like that clip 

Edited by jay741982
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jay741982 said:

A generally Darker take on the Archie Comics. Show is based on Afterlife with Archie which is a Dark version of Archie Comics and yeah it's Batshit Crazy including stuff like that clip 

And yet I like it, lol. Even when it takes itself way too serious.  

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I also got Chris Evans. Yay me. :)  

Omg hiiiiii

I haven't seen you in a thousand years! I ordered a padparadscha and thought of you the other day. I was gonna tag you if it arrives and looks decent (vendor is as sketchy as hell).

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Omg hiiiiii

I haven't seen you in a thousand years! I ordered a padparadscha and thought of you the other day. I was gonna tag you if it arrives and looks decent (vendor is as sketchy as hell).

I’ve been mainly hanging out in the Legends forum these days.  I browse through the threads over here once in a while though. :)

Yeah, I’d like to see it!  I was reminded about padparadschas this last week with Princess Eugenie’s wedding. 

Edited by Starfish35
18 hours ago, Chaser said:

I’ve very confused by Riverdale. What is this show?

I watch Riverdale, and even I find myself asking that question on a weekly basis! Especially this season, which already involves a juvie hall straight out of Shawshank, a possible witch cult, a possible monster in the woods that the town parents all know about, rival gangs, and about thirty other story lines that go anywhere from teen love triangles to murder attempts to dog napping.

Has anyone watched The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell? Its a super quirky lifestyle/baking show, that I would basically describe as "what if Morticia Addams had her own show on Food Network?", which is already a great idea, but then they add in puppets as her cute monster sidekicks that basically snark their way through the show. Its super weird and charming, and its a great Halloween watch!

• Love 1

I enjoy Riverdale.  I grew up reading and collecting the comics, as has my now high school aged daughter.  I'm pretty sure they taught her to read.  She now has a mad crush on KJ Apa, and has never hid her love of Veronica.  I also love that they play to my (old) demographic, with Molly Ringwald, Mark Consuelos, Luke Perry, Madchen Amick and Skeet Ulrich.  That said, the show I'm really excited about is the Netflix version of Sabrina the Teenaged Witch.  Looks so dark, and so fun.  And the cast looks fantastic.

• Love 3

I'm really finding myself cautiously excited for season 3 of Daredevil. It's been two years since season 2 came out and although I've fallen behind on some of the Marvel Netflix shows (haven't watched Iron Fist, only got through an episode and a half of Luke Cage, slowly making my way through The Punisher, did watch The Defenders a few months ago), Daredevil is the show that started the entire Marvel Netflix franchise. Plus, I really like all the characters so I'm itching to get home from work to start watching it. I'm a bit worried that perhaps I won't love it as much since the show hasn't had a new episode in ages, even with The Defenders, and especially since I've been slogging through the other shows and don't have as much interest in them as I would have two years ago. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone tried shiitake mushroom chips? Soooooo good! I got them from Costco so am wondering if they are a thing overseas.

@Kymmi how are you going? I hope you're feeling better! 

I don't eat the fungus, so don't ask me about those chips.  ;-)

I'm doing MUCH better.  I was worried there that I would never feel normal again, but nearly 6 weeks out it's much better.  I lost a lot of weight following my hospitalization (I had NO appetite, and eating any food was gross), which is great, but now my appetite is back again.  So we'll see what happens there.  I can't complain, but if I ever get another kidney stone again, you will be I will be at the hospital in short order.

It helps that the Arrow premier was good!  :-) 

• Love 7

I finally watched all of The Haunting of Hill House, and oh my God, so intense! Loved every second of it, so much great stuff, I cant even. So, of course, I went online to indulge my new obsession, and I thought some of you might appreciate this!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricepeck/haunting-of-hill-house-siblings-cast-quiz?utm_term=.uoLw27A8Pp#.ncOAEM5rpg

I got Nellie. I am...both concerned and happy. You can also take a quiz on which Crane family remember you would want to sleep with the most. Because Buzzfeed. 

• Love 1

Guys I need your help before I go full nuclear on the guy who sold me this gem.

Can you see the massive inclusion?

I won't point it out to you but can you tell me if you can see it.

Thanks guys! I am shaking right now I am so livid.

Edited by Mellowyellow
Stone returned so no need for pics to clog up thread

I had to look up what an inclusion is. But yeah, it's obviously in the picture that there is something there.  (According to Hutton's law of inclusions, fragments included in a host rock are older than the host rock itself.)

I love amber and so I don't mind them there but yes, with a gemstone like that, I can see why you're so upset.

• Love 1

I can't see anything.  Even when I was trying to look where I was told to look.  I just see shadows and tricks of the light. 

But if it's on the edge, is that something you could cover up with an interesting setting?

23 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

yup! Is it very obvious to your eye?

I have bought a lot of gems and no one has ever lied to me so blatantly! 

I can see it, too, right on the edge. Sorry @Mellowyellow. That sucks that the jeweler lied to you. It's kinda reminding me of the mosquito trapped in that amber that was on the cane of Dr. Hammond in Jurassic Park, though.

My little girl would like to wish you all a HAPPY HALLOWEEN as the chick from the Kissing Booth (Don't judge me! It's hard to come up with costumes for a dog who doesn't like clothes!)

20181031_181232-jpg.656621

And a random pumpkin pic that was carved by my sister. We Aussies are getting into Halloween!

ABCQXEEJLTzKPX3Q7XG4ENcR6jIE07KIJ4dwlMaN

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 12