Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

To anyone here who watches Jane the Virgin, I have a question... 

Why does anyone like Jane/Rafael? Sometimes I feel like the only thing going for them is the fact that they have great chemistry together but apart from that there's barely any substance to their relationship...  Not to mention S2 is crapping on Rafael's character much like how S3 is murdering Bellamy's character development in The 100... *sigh*

I'm not a Jane/Rafael shipper, but I will say that I liked the idea of them much, much more last season. I thought they had better chemistry than Jane/Michael, and I liked the idea of Jane being with Mateo's father.  

However! This season, like you said, they've really crapped on his character and almost all the good will I had towards him is gone. I also had never really shipped Jane with anyone (Team Jane!), but when Michael told her he still loved her and always had a couple episodes ago, it made me cry so I realized deep down, I really liked Michael - just in time for him to die, knowing my luck. (That's just speculation, the line last season about him loving Jane for the rest of his life gives me anxiety every week.)

To be completely honest, I don't adore either Michael or Rafael but I'm still more on Rafael's side than Michael.  Never really forgave him for basically not wanting the baby.  Or at least it took him too long.

The main reason why I rooted for Rafael was because he believed in Jane and who she at her core wanted to be.  Michael was safe.  Michael was a life as a school teacher, but Rafe was the guy that thought she could do anything she wanted to do and wanted to support her dreams.  That's why I loved him.  And then they were in love and really, the only reason they broke up was because Rafael felt he wasn't worthy of her love, thus pushing her away and by the time he got his head straight, she was afraid of being hurt again. 

I stopped watching after a few episodes this year so I don't know what's going on currently, but this would apply to me as well. Rafael has always been shown as supportive of and interested in Jane's dreams, even in the flashback of their first meeting.

I don't feel much resentment about Michael not being thrilled about the baby, I thought that was a very human reaction. However, I will never forget about him being underhanded and trying to manipulate Jane into giving him away to Petra and Rafael when there was no more Petra and Rafael to speak of and he damn well knew it. If Jane wanted to give the baby away, fine. But give her the complete information, don't be a prick and lie about it.

Now, my main issue is with Jane seemingly flip flopping between the guys. That's pretty much why I lost interest.

• Love 1

However, I will never forget about him being underhanded and trying to manipulate Jane into giving him away to Petra and Rafael when there was no more Petra and Rafael to speak of and he damn well knew it. If Jane wanted to give the baby away, fine. But give her the complete information, don't be a prick and lie about it.

I knew there was something I was forgetting.  Yeah, I had a hard time warming up to him after that.  There were other things as well but I watch it for light entertainment so I don't keep good track of all the plot points (and on JtV there are a million plot points)

• Love 1

And the season 2 cast additions of Hunter, Mack, and Bobbi continue to pay off massively.

I like those characters well enough. I don't actually hate anyone on the show anymore but I find it so much work to give a damn about this show.  They tied up a lot of interesting plot points and character arc before the hiatus and now everything has to start up all over again and try to convince me to care. 

I watched the episode.  Stuff happened but really, I was exceedingly bored.  Honestly, I find Laurel more interesting right now.  I can't seem to find a way to connect to the material again. 

I think I'll try letting it pile up on the DVR.  Binge watching helps me both care more and understand better what the bleep is going on.  Evil creature hatching evil plan in body of evil dead guy.  Yup, don't care yet. 

I dropped JtV last year near the finale. It was way too focused on the triangle, and I don't care about that. In fact, I never cared about the soapy stuff in it, but at least at first, the dramatic and comedic parts were big enough draws. 

Also, while I didn't ship anybody on that show, I came to really dislike Rafael/Jane because his character felt like a generic telenovela love interest. Michael wasn't that awesome either but at least was played by a much better actor (plus, the relationship felt a bit less cookie-cutter, considering the trope angle). I realized they are probably going to kill him off eventually after that mid-season foreshadowing to clear the road for Jane and Rafael, who's obviously endgame, and that was it.

Now that I hear that Petra (whom I loved) is now all about Rafael (ugh), I don't have any incentive to catch up on the show. I guess Rogelio could be only reason, but he's not enough.

I basically spend every single second Michael is on screen yelling DIE DIE DIE at the TV. I don't like *Jane* when she's with Michael, because I feel like she turns into a blubbering mess of self-doubt and insecurity whenever he's around her. That dude is poison.

And I don't ship Jane with Rafael [he's the sexy lamp trope brought to life], I just want Michael to disappear in a poof of smoke never to be mentioned again, because he hinders my enjoyment of the show.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't tell what long term end game is on JtV and givien it's low numbers, we might never know, lol.

Again, I think my only firm stance remains Rafeal with NOT PETRA!!!  After that, I don't deeply care, but my friend would probably rage quit if they killed Michael. She adores his niceness.  (Yes, she's dated too many not nice guys to find any kind of an edge at all attractive)   

I have the opposite problem over on Crazy Ex Girlfriend, I'd love her with either of the two guys that like her.  I am so not used to that in a triangle. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Nah, I seriously don't want Rebecca with Josh there. I mean, jeez, with all that stalkering and lies... This should never happen. Also, Josh is way too boring and dumb for her.

I do dig Greg a lot, and I want them to give it a chance when they are in a better place though, but I'm not sure either of them should be endgame. Could go either way.

But not Josh, please.

(edited)

I know this is cross contamination, but can I get the Marvel costume designer to do some work on Berlanti's shows? I am very excited for Elektra, and from what I can see of her costume, she looks really good. 

Isn't the Marvel costume designer already doing some work on GB's shows?  I saw pics of a new female DC character that just appeared on Supergirl who looks like a clone of a well-known Marvel character. ;) (spoiler)

I don't watch The 100, but I'm surprised that Lexa's death came as such a shock.  As soon as Fear the Walking Dead was renewed for a second season, didn't people expect that Lexa would be written off The 100 somehow?  It would've been difficult for Alicia Debnam-Carey to be a regular cast member on two shows at the same time.

Incidentally, I was channel surfing last night and came across this 2010 movie, Legion, that starred both Adrianne Palicki and Willa Holland.  They both looked much younger, but AP acted completely different from Bobbi, while WH was pretty much just being Thea.

Edited by tv echo
I don't watch The 100, but I'm surprised that Lexa's death came as such a shock.  As soon as Fear the Walking Dead was renewed for a second season, didn't people expect that Lexa would be written off The 100 somehow?  It would've been difficult for Alicia Debnam-Carey to be a regular cast member on two shows at the same time.

Pretty much everyone expected Lexa dying because of ADC getting a bigger shinier gig. It wasn't that she died that caused the uproar -- it was the sequence of events that lead to her death PLUS the manner in which she died that offended people.

• Love 1

AOS was pretty damn great last night!

I was sad that the fast runner woman wasn't staying - I feel like she had some great chemistry with everyone but especially Mack and Daisy, and I think Daisy enjoyed having another female inhuman on the team.

Incidentally, I was channel surfing last night and came across this 2010 movie, Legion, that starred both Adrianne Palicki and Willa Holland.  They both looked much younger, but AP acted completely different from Bobbi, while WH was pretty much just being Thea.

Paul Bettany who's the voice of JARVIS and was The Vision was also in that movie, and holy crap to say that movie was bad is an insult to bad movies.

• Love 1

I loved Tara on Buffy. Seeing her progression from a shy girl who could barely speak to people to a secure, confident young woman was great viewing for me. By the time they killed her off she was my favourite character on the show, the one sane person in a sea of self-destructive morons. I actually do love season six, and I sympathise with all those characters considering it's my favourite show to this day, but...still.

• Love 1

I basically spend every single second Michael is on screen yelling DIE DIE DIE at the TV. I don't like *Jane* when she's with Michael, because I feel like she turns into a blubbering mess of self-doubt and insecurity whenever he's around her. That dude is poison.

This so much! I've stopped watching this season because I realized I can't stand Jane anymore. I was Team Rafael last season, but quickly got to the point this season where I wanted Jane to just pick someone, anyone. And then I wanted her to pick Michael so Rafael would be free of her. But now I just don't care, which is why episodes are piled up on my DVR just waiting to be deleted. 

It's too bad, because Season One was fantastic.

• Love 4

LOL I guess I'm in the minority, I like Michael :p Yeah he screwed up in S1 but I don't know any character who doesn't make stupid mistakes like that. I watched season 1 not being TeamAnyone (I think I was more leaning towards Rafael at some point), but then season 2 happened and I was weirdly becoming more and more Team Michael. I just think that they're really sweet together (especially after the last episode). 

Now I just want Rafael to fuck off lol S2 is doing a fantastic job ruining the character for me. Weirdly enough, I simply ADORE Petra now. I love her being BFFs with Jane :p

I'm not a Jane fan anymore, either.  I was going to say something the other day, but I thought it might be an unpopular opinion.  They've made her way too controlling and neurotic, and I'm over the waffling.  I'm a few episodes behind, but I saw a spoiler that said that Jane finally picked one of the guys.  My first thought was *yeah, for now.*  She'll be back to her regular waffling self before season's end, I'm sure.  I do still watch because I love Xiomara and Rogelio, I like Abuela, and Petra entertains me. 

• Love 1

I've never watched JtV bc the whole premise that virginity, specifically female virginity, has inherent value just pisses me the hell off. Per Pajiba, they finally addressed that, and apparently more or less stated that that premise is wrong...which is good, but too little too late for me.

http://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/jane-the-virgin-finally-addressed-the-shows-biggest-flaw-.php

I think they did a pretty good job stating the whole waiting for marriage thing was her choice and not something she ever judged anyone else for. It was kind of hilarious that at this point she didn't care but Michael accidentally talked her back into waiting.

• Love 1

Jane can be judgey about a lot of things. Like, A LOT, but I never felt she judged other for making different sexual choices than she did. Oh, now Michael's talked her back into waiting like Rafael last season?

• Love 1

Wow. Backtracking to the 100 discussion. The clexa/LGBT/ally section of the Fandom has raised over 15000 in two days for the Trevor Project as their non aggressive response. That is insane.

• Love 3

really off topic: anyone here is from the San Francisco/Bay area?

I may be moving to the area in several months and really need some info about rental realtors and which places is best to live at and probable with 5 cats on a 1500 rental budget..

any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Jane can be judgey about a lot of things. Like, A LOT, but I never felt she judged other for making different sexual choices than she did. Oh, now Michael's talked her back into waiting like Rafael last season?

I personally don't care whether the main character is judgy (although it seemed that her grandmother, at least, certainly was). I care that the premise of the show is that virginity has inherent value and that "once it's gone you can never get it back." That's nice for all the girls and boys who were molested as kids...that they have less value bc of something that was done to them. Elizabeth Smart had some really heartbreaking things to say when she was recovered...she spent her whole life being told that having sex was like chewing gum, and who wants a used piece of chewing gum...she said that's partly why she didn't alert anyone to her identity earlier, bc she felt used up and worthless, bc she was no longer a virgin.

And even when sex is consensual, assigning value for virginity is still a harmful idea, bc valuing virginity means NOT-valuing non-virginity. If there's a winner, there's also a loser. I absolutely despise the whole idea. If someone chooses to remain a virgin for whatever reason, cool. It's an individual's choice. But setting up a whole show around this pernicious idea that virginity has inherent value is really problematic.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

I personally don't care whether the main character is judgy (although it seemed that her grandmother, at least, certainly was). I care that the premise of the show is that virginity has inherent value and that "once it's gone you can never get it back." 

I don't condone ascribing value to virginity either but I don't really think the show did that, at least not while I was watching it. The grandmother certainly preached it and Jane's decision was influenced by it, but in no way did I see the show casting judgement on all the other characters for not being virgins. For being raging psychos, sure, but not for this.

• Love 2

I don't think the show ascribed value to virginity either. Jane did, and her abuela did, but the rest of the show and it's characters... not really. And it certainly didn't vilify non-virgins. At least whilst I was watching, Jane was actually shown to be a sexual character. As far as Jane being a virgin goes, it was barely a plot point, the show was more focused on Jane, her family and her romantic entanglements, with her virginity only really mentioned to convey the humour of the situation (the Jane got pregnant without having sex) and later on in order to add humour to the nuns using Jane in order to advertise their school. I'd say her virginity was largely ignored, and certainly never elevated, and only bought up to show irony and add humour. 

• Love 2

Let me add to the JtV discussion since I am still watching.  I actually think they are almost mocking the fact that she is a virgin this season.  The narrator is hilarious about it - basically: please won't she just go ahead and have sex now, what is she waiting for?  Even Jane is basically at that place -- and the reveals about abuela on this point have also been interesting.  But I don't want to give too much away in case any of you have it sitting in your DVR queue with intentions to watch.     

• Love 1

I think Rafael was the fantasy and Jane hiding her true desires of writing was never Michael's fault. He (Michael) made mistakes but it was always pointed out and he always owned them.

I always found it interesting that Raf viewed Michael as the third wheel, the interloper of sorts coming in between his relationship with Jane and Matelio but it could be argued that Rafael was the one filling that role in actuality.

So basically the CW just renews its current line-up? Did it cancel any series? The only ones I see missing were already in their final season or rumored to be on the chopping block before they were aired. I guess we'll see more about their plan when they release their schedule and their episode order for each show.

However, YAY for the fans of the renewed shows because some of those futures looked bleak a few weeks ago if you looked at the numbers - even with critical acclaim. And a personal yay for me that I got one of my guilty pleasures renewed with Reign, even though I am losing Bash though his storyline has been pretty crappy since last season when they separated him from the main story into some weird sub storyline.

• Love 1

So basically the CW just renews its current line-up? Did it cancel any series? The only ones I see missing were already in their final season or rumored to be on the chopping block before they were aired. I guess we'll see more about their plan when they release their schedule and their episode order for each show.

I don't think any of the current line-up shows were cancelled which I think a lot of people are surprised at. Has that ever happened on The CW before?

• Love 1

I don't think any of the current line-up shows were cancelled which I think a lot of people are surprised at. Has that ever happened on The CW before?

I feel like they did something similar the past 2 seasons, but usually in the announcements they drop which shows they just renewed are in their final season or shortened seasons. So I think it's just a wait and see mode for shows like VD which are running out of steam. I anticipate short seasons for most of the shows that were on the bubble (like Reign & Crazy Ex) or already had shortened episode numbers this season (Izombie, LoT).

• Love 1

really off topic: anyone here is from the San Francisco/Bay area?

I may be moving to the area in several months and really need some info about rental realtors and which places is best to live at and probable with 5 cats on a 1500 rental budget..

any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

I'm from the Bay Area! I don't have any info on rental realtors; most people here rely on Craigslist listings and search engines like zillow. $1500 budget is a little bit on the low end if you're looking for a place just for yourself without roommates. Your best bet for that price range will probably be in the East Bay, fewer options in tech heavy areas like SF, the Peninsula, and the South Bay. I could probably have more helpful info if you have a particular area in mind.

The mass renewal will only fuel rumors of a coming standalone CW streaming subscription service, similar to CBS All Access; to make such a service viable, it would need a nice, big library.

Those rumors have intensified as Warner Bros. has pulled several of its series from streaming service Netflix, and CBS Corp. CEO Leslie Moonves has alluded to a possible CW product during several investor calls and conferences. Jeff Bewkes, CEO of Warner Bros. parent company Time Warner, has been on a tear of late regarding getting properly paid for the content his companies produce. Bewkes wants to withhold shows produced by Warner Bros. TV and the Turner networks from streaming services that may be cannibalizing viewership or may not be paying what the shows are really worth.

Further evidence: Warner Bros. recently purchased wildly popular Korean drama-streaming site DramaFever. While Warner Bros. hasn’t unveiled what its plans are — insiders say the current idea is to take the plumbing and use it to build a series of brand “experiences” — the purchase falls right in line with what Moonves and Bewkes have been talking about.

from: http://www.ibtimes.com/cw-just-renewed-11-shows-including-crazy-ex-girlfriend-flash-supernatural-2335011

HAHA. Good luck with that WB/CBS. If they thinking their viewership is low now, just wait until they require people to pay to watch their shows--especially since their demo already skews so young.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 2

I'm from the Bay Area! I don't have any info on rental realtors; most people here rely on Craigslist listings and search engines like zillow. $1500 budget is a little bit on the low end if you're looking for a place just for yourself without roommates. Your best bet for that price range will probably be in the East Bay, fewer options in tech heavy areas like SF, the Peninsula, and the South Bay. I could probably have more helpful info if you have a particular area in mind.

Thanks!

I am thinking of the east bay actually! i'm thinking of a place no further than an hour ride (two in total) into SF using the public transit.

I'm trying to find at least a town that has some things for a young single woman in her 30's (gyms, cafes, bars/pubs/night clubs, and so forth).

I don't quite know where to look to be honest! i'm just starting to look into the area. At the moment 1500 is what I think I will be able to pay, but it may end up being less (I am trying to determine what the wage is for someone in my field and in my position so I can try and maybe negotiate a higher wage than what I know they will offer me).

HAHA. Good luck with that WB/CBS. If they thinking their viewership is low now, just wait until they require people to pay to watch their shows--especially since their demo already skews so young.

I know they are still in negotiations with a bunch of markets but I also thought that they signed contracts with about 2/3rd of their markets (which I know included my area) and that when they were speculating about the streaming service, they said they would continue broadcasting at those stations as normal. 

Totally unrelated to anything else being discussed here but just wanted to say that foreverevolving's Arrow cake inspired me to accept my kid's request for a "cake shaped like a cuttlefish" for her birthday. It's kind of a horror show and probably looks more like Cthulhu (one of my kids asked me to turn the cake around because it was "looking" at her) but I did it! When I figure out how to attach a picture of it I will.

• Love 8

Totally unrelated to anything else being discussed here but just wanted to say that foreverevolving's Arrow cake inspired me to accept my kid's request for a "cake shaped like a cuttlefish" for her birthday. It's kind of a horror show and probably looks more like Cthulhu (one of my kids asked me to turn the cake around because it was "looking" at her) but I did it! When I figure out how to attach a picture of it I will.

Upload the pic to: tinypic website, after it's upload go to the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" box and copy the link Than just past it in the message box and post the message.

Edited by foreverevolving

Upload the pic to: tinypic website, after it's upload go to the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" box and copy the link Than just past it in the message box and post the message.

Thanks! I'll try to do that when I have a chance later.

Going back to The 100 discussion, I really think the backlash the show is receiving is mainly due to the fact the Showrunner went out of his way to get those LGBT fans to invest in Clexa knowing he would lose one of the actress of the show. He baited those fans and I think they have a right to be angry with him. 

• Love 2

Going back to The 100 discussion, I really think the backlash the show is receiving is mainly due to the fact the Showrunner went out of his way to get those LGBT fans to invest in Clexa knowing he would lose one of the actress of the show. He baited those fans and I think they have a right to be angry with him. 

But is it really baiting them or making the most of the pairing while he had it?