Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I have one who displays his displeasure by buzzing by my head.  He's mad the gardeners cut back his favorite plant.  There's a lovely honeysuckle 10 feet away, but he wants Mexican sage.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

I have one who displays his displeasure by buzzing by my head.  He's mad the gardeners cut back his favorite plant.  There's a lovely honeysuckle 10 feet away, but he wants Mexican sage.

In my old house I had a fountain on the front patio.  Every morning I had at least 10 humming birds taking a bath.  If I didn't keep it full to the brim, I would get dive-bombed every time I went out the front door until I filled it to the top again.  They were very possessive of my fountain.

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
(edited)

A laugh for you all.

My grands go to church camp for a week every summer. Their great grandma, grandpa, mom, assorted cousins all have gone to this camp.

I visited them one afternoon this week to drop off one grands birthday gift.

While i was talking to 5 yr old grand, 3 teenagers near us were daring each other to sit in one of those cheap umbrella strollers. I watched thinking the thing would collapse. Teen sits in it for about 30 seconds, jumps up and says "Jesus f***ing Christ that hurt my ass!"

They all look around in a panic to see who heard that. I laughed.  5yr old missed the whole thing.

I have no worries grands are being steeped in religion at this camp.

Edited by crazy8s
  • LOL 18
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

It is horribly hot and humid here, we had a young guy in our yard today who had been dropped off to sell a bug service.

Is that the latest con going around now?  I had one show up yesterday despite my closed gate and sign saying absolutely no soliciting.  

That's a wonderfully kind suggestion to offer cold water.  We only reached a balmy 78 here today for an hour.  

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Is that the latest con going around now?  I had one show up yesterday despite my closed gate and sign saying absolutely no soliciting. 

It is the scam thing going on around here at least.

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

It is the scam thing going on around here at least.

In the summer, we are constantly bombarded with people going door to door trying to sell magazines or painting or roof repairs.  I finally got a 'no soliciting' sign when I was recovering from knee surgery and couldn't get to the door fast enough to prevent them from starting to pound on the door, sending my dogs into a frenzy.  I would say there is at least one salesperson out on the street most nights of the week in summer.

My next door neighbors are good people.  They put a bin on their porch filled with ice and put bottles of water in it for the mail carriers, FedEx, etc.  During the winter, they also put out water as well as granola bars for the delivery people.  They both mainly work from home and get a lot of packages, etc during the day.

• Like 11
5 hours ago, Notabug said:

My next door neighbors are good people.  They put a bin on their porch filled with ice and put bottles of water in it for the mail carriers, FedEx, etc.  During the winter, they also put out water as well as granola bars for the delivery people.  They both mainly work from home and get a lot of packages, etc during the day.

Wow, that's really nice of them.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

08107399-50DF-41A9-AB35-1C5454329DC7.jpeg

7DA66A48-89A9-4068-9AA9-9B3C90F5F153.jpeg

14EE1D75-26CE-4B41-AAFF-4C3312731BBD.jpeg

AC936DC4-D513-4DE3-98BB-2828E8E13FE5.jpeg

I’m dying from laughing so hard. Jill is so ridiculous. 

She is not a hairstylist, she ruins hair and eyebrows. 

She covered up lady’s legs Jana Duggar style.

Jill dear your decorating skills ruin homes. 

I had lots of different jobs 2 or 3 decades ago. I don’t claim to “be” all of those things now. 

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Reddit: the fundiesnarkuncensored is now private or something. Totally disappointing!

Mother Bus has lawyered up. She claims that Redditors sicced CPS on her. 

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 3

Any of you small talkers play the daily Spelling Bee game in the NY Times? "Chickenetti" was in there today, and I can't belieeeeeeve it wasn't accepted!!

• LOL 16
(edited)

I ordered some gifts to give for my best friend’s birthday a couple of weeks ago.  I got a message they were delayed due to the weather situation. Storm Debby came last week and majorly impacted NC.  So, I was excited to see the package on the front porch, along with notification from Amazon that it was delivered.  (Three items in one order and package.) Only thing is that the package was cut open at the end and was empty!  🥺 Amazon says there’s nothing they can do for 24-48 hours.  Makes no sense.  I reordered one item and ordered one item from somewhere else.  The third item I’ll try to find in a store.  Ugh…….this is the first time this has happened to me.  I’m pretty sure he put down an empty package.  There is no photo of it on the porch like all the rest of the deliveries.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 9
  • Angry 1

IMG_1594.jpg.6899cce0e9b7cccb889a3c779b4927bf.jpgFlora has decided that the laundry hamper is now her personal space.  She sleeps here all night and most of every day.  It has become a cat bed instead of a hamper.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 14
20 hours ago, Turquoise said:

I don’t have a kitty to share, but I can share my rescue baby. He was 13 in March. I got him the summer after my son finished high school to ease myself into the empty nest.

IMG_3133.jpeg

Soooo sweet!  Gives me puppy fever. Lol 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I'm doing nothing today except watching sports.  I watched Iowa beat Illinois earlier, and now I am watching Iowa State and North Dakota.  Tonight I will watch the SF Giants baseball game.  If anyone here was watching the Illinois game, I sure hope the guy they took off the field in the first 3 minutes of the game will be ok.  That looked like a bad injury.

• Like 7

I'm doing nothing but house and pet sitting today. Well, it hasn't been all laziness today. This morning I had to pack up my stuff for this three day stint, and because it's 45 minutes from home it's not convenient to run back for something I meant to bring and forgot. Anyway, I'm here now. I've been here before. It's a nice house, with two sweet terriers and an unusually friendly Russian Blue cat. All neutered males. The boys and I are hanging around. I'm watching some Dr. Pol reruns and checking into some websites. I have a couple of Kindle books to read later. 

• Like 16

This last few weeks I have found myself thinking about the Tradwife, we need to go back to simpler times folks. I think none of those people would last a minute in simpler times.

We have had a run of crazy things going wrong.

First up - on a late friday night we suddenly have no water. Husband is great at troubleshooting and fixing things, quickly finds this is beyond his ability to repair. Call made for service. We opted not to pay for weekend emergency prices and wait until monday. We had access to water from neighbors hose to fill buckets to have water to flush or a pan of water for cooking. State Park up the road let us us their showers one day, so it was fine for 2 days

Got that fixed and a week later severe storms and electricity is out for 3 days. We have a generator we use for basics. Water, fridge, sump pump, lights. But no A/C, laundry, dishwasher, oven or stove. Also power out for us means no wifi or cell service. Again ok for a few days we can grill food and all.

Electricity comes back on and power surge blows board on refrigerator. Husband finds he can fix this one, but getting the control board needed is proving slow. Oddly the freezer is still working just fine. I can cook something from the freezer but we can't store any leftovers, so a bit of a challenge.

We only dealt with these old fashioned situations of no water/electricity/refrigeration one at a time and it is work. I just can't see any of them carrying buckets of water, cooking on a grill, washing dishes by hand or having no refrigeration. They surely could not go an hour without cell service, wifi or A/C.

Hopefully the law of bad things in 3s is done with us now.

Still waiting on the fridge repair...

• Hugs 16
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

This last few weeks I have found myself thinking about the Tradwife, we need to go back to simpler times folks. I think none of those people would last a minute in simpler times.

We have had a run of crazy things going wrong.

First up - on a late friday night we suddenly have no water. Husband is great at troubleshooting and fixing things, quickly finds this is beyond his ability to repair. Call made for service. We opted not to pay for weekend emergency prices and wait until monday. We had access to water from neighbors hose to fill buckets to have water to flush or a pan of water for cooking. State Park up the road let us us their showers one day, so it was fine for 2 days

Got that fixed and a week later severe storms and electricity is out for 3 days. We have a generator we use for basics. Water, fridge, sump pump, lights. But no A/C, laundry, dishwasher, oven or stove. Also power out for us means no wifi or cell service. Again ok for a few days we can grill food and all.

Electricity comes back on and power surge blows board on refrigerator. Husband finds he can fix this one, but getting the control board needed is proving slow. Oddly the freezer is still working just fine. I can cook something from the freezer but we can't store any leftovers, so a bit of a challenge.

We only dealt with these old fashioned situations of no water/electricity/refrigeration one at a time and it is work. I just can't see any of them carrying buckets of water, cooking on a grill, washing dishes by hand or having no refrigeration. They surely could not go an hour without cell service, wifi or A/C.

Hopefully the law of bad things in 3s is done with us now.

Still waiting on the fridge repair...

Ugh that doesn't sound like fun after the first 15 minutes.  Might I suggest a whole house surge protector for future?  They are not very expensive.  Our electrician put it in and said we don't need surge protectors anymore (although that is a hard habit to break) and that if it trips to call him.  So far we have been fine with all the storms we get.  Possibly it would have protected your refrigerator.  I hope things get resolved soon!

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 12
17 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Ugh that doesn't sound like fun after the first 15 minutes.  Might I suggest a whole house surge protector for future?  They are not very expensive.  Our electrician put it in and said we don't need surge protectors anymore (although that is a hard habit to break) and that if it trips to call him.  So far we have been fine with all the storms we get.  Possibly it would have protected your refrigerator.  I hope things get resolved soon!

That is a solid suggestion. Since we had most of the breakers off, we had only a few things damaged. 2 plug strips burned, but they saved everything plugged into them. Other than the fridge, just 2 plug strips and a small clock.

Still waiting on the part, that might show up tomorrow. A repair person we called wanted $700, ordering the part from amazon next day was $350 and where husband ordered it from was $60. So I am good with waiting. 

During the wait, the fridge has been purged of old things and has been cleaned. 😀

• Like 8
23 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

During the wait, the fridge has been purged of old things and has been cleaned. 😀

I hope the wait isn't too long and I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.

I laughed about your cleaning the fridge. Just yesterday I took a hard look at the shelves and drawers in my fridge and had to admit, they need a scrub. Not a job I love, but now that I know it's overdue I will probably tackle it before the weekend is over. And I will remember to be thankful I haven't had a power failure and the associated inconveniences and losses. 

• Like 8

I remember when we were having a new washer and dryer delivered. I just had to get in there to clean an area I can't normally get to before they installed the new units. I'm no tradwife, but I was a little concerned about what was behind the old appliances! There was a sock and lots of linty dust.

• Like 10
On 8/23/2024 at 8:44 PM, graybrown bird said:

21!!  How wonderful!  She poses herself so elegantly and looks so alert -- what an ageless beauty!

She is lovely. We have an ageless beauty as well, who will be 20 next month. I swear she has a repertoire of cover girl poses that she breaks out on a daily basis. This one was taken last week.

FB_IMG_1725556556303.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

She is lovely. We have an ageless beauty as well, who will be 20 next month. I swear she has a repertoire of cover girl poses that she breaks out on a daily basis. This one was taken last week.

FB_IMG_1725556556303.jpg

She looks like she is sitting for a portrait. Very regal.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

FB_IMG_1725556556303.jpg

What a beautiful kitty and she looks so good for 20!

Got my COVID booster and flu shot today. Not nearly the side effects yet that I've had with earlier COVID shot doses (certainly not the initial few). I do feel exhausted and will be ordering food delivery and tucking myself into bed early but neither of those is a hardship. I have a big in-person birthday celebration coming up in a bit less than a month with my husband, sister (coming from across the country), and best friend (coming from a couple of hours away) so we are all updating our vaxxes in advance.

• Like 13
  • Applause 6
17 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

FB_IMG_1725556556303.jpg

What’s beauty and I love her mane. She looks very well cared for, but of course I figured that when you stated her age. Is she having a special day with her favorite foods and a new catnip mouse? Since we are both born the same month we should celebrate together (virtually). 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2024 at 10:50 AM, BetyBee said:

I remember when we were having a new washer and dryer delivered. I just had to get in there to clean an area I can't normally get to before they installed the new units. I'm no tradwife, but I was a little concerned about what was behind the old appliances! There was a sock and lots of linty dust.

You made me think of this.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/rB9nq2DXK7rTYnnY/?mibextid=D5vuiz

• LOL 1
On 9/4/2024 at 11:41 AM, Minivanessa said:

I hope the wait isn't too long and I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.

Update - part got delivered late last night and was installed. Fridge is now a nice 38 degrees instead of 74. Restocking the fridge has happened. Tonight, after 3 weeks of this crazy, we can have a real dinner with food from the fridge, cooked in the oven and dishes washed in the dishwasher. 😀

#Blessed 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 17
(edited)

Has anyone attended an outdoor wedding with rustic, western influences?  It’s my nephew’s wedding and he is wearing a cowboy hat!  Lol. And, several men in the family are wearing jeans and boots.  The female attendants are wearing regular dresses and shoes, not boots.  I’ve asked if guests are supposed to wear western wear as well, and am told it doesn’t matter.  So, I’m not sure….I suspect I’ll be in a couple of group photos.  Any ideas? I’m going dress shopping today.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3