Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 2/18/2024 at 8:29 AM, BetyBee said:

We went to the shelter and adopted a ginger male. He's 4.5, according to their Vet.That puts his birthday in mid August, so we named him Leo. He's super affectionate and follows me everywhere! A lap cat is a first for me. He's filling the hole Midnight left in our lives. It's so different to have a young cat around the house! He's playful and funny. And he has a much different (kind of small) meow, which sounds funny coming from a 15 lb bruiser!

My sis has a couple of ginger males, named Ed Sheeran and Axl Rose.

• Like 13

Hey! Now I’m torn. How to choose? A dog or cat?  Hmmm…my brother’s dog has won me over.  Hasn’t Cash grown since Christmas! He was 8 weeks old then when I posted his photo.  He’s so sweet. (Labradoodle)

IMG_2007.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Hey! Now I’m torn. How to choose? A dog or cat?  Hmmm…my brother’s dog has won me over.  Hasn’t Cash grown since Christmas! He was 8 weeks old then when I posted his photo.  He’s so sweet. (Labradoodle)

IMG_2007.jpeg

He's adorable.

• Like 8
(edited)
6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Read the note under the green banner at the top of every page. That might help. 

Sadly it made things worse.

"Community Growth Light Forums"? 

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 8
  • Mind Blown 2
6 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Yeah, it's a lot of new age feel good talk. I have yet to see the red light/green light on any of the forums I frequent. I guess they're not problematic? I'm not sure, to be honest, what they're really looking for.

Have you seen the post about badges? 😳

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
15 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just rest my computer, and now I have this annoying arrow in a circle that keeps moving around my screen.  Does anyone know that this arrow is for, and how to get rid of it?

There are some videos about this on YT. I hope you can get rid of it That sounds super annoying!

• Like 2
(edited)

My daughter is working at O'Hare airport (in Chicago) rn and sent me a video of everyone being told there was a tornado warning, and for them all to head to the tornado shelters (usually the nearest bathrooms there.)

Up until a few minutes ago, my husband and I were sitting in our hallway because the sirens were blaring here.

Word to self: drag two chairs into the hallway next time..our backs are killing us. #geezerproblems

Ps wanted to share the lil vid but it's too big for this site, but here's two screenshots.  😁

Screenshot_20240227-203644_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240227-203703_Gallery.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 21
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

My daughter is working at O'Hare airport (in Chicago) rn and sent me a video of everyone being told there was a tornado warning, and for them all to head to the tornado shelters (usually the nearest bathrooms there.)

Up until a few minutes ago, my husband and I were sitting in our hallway because the sirens were blaring here.

Word to self: drag two chairs into the hallway next time..our backs are killing us. #geezerproblems

Ps wanted to share the lil vid but it's too big for this site, but here's two screenshots.  😁

Screenshot_20240227-203644_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240227-203703_Gallery.jpg

Hope all of you are safe!

As part of the same weather system, our temperatures here will have dropped 50 degrees in about 24 hours by tomorrow. 

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

As part of the same weather system, our temperatures here will have dropped 50 degrees in about 24 hours by tomorrow. 

We're fine, thanks.

Update:
I'm watching the news and they're speculating that at least 8 tornadoes touched down in Illinois (damage still to be determined.) 
   They're saying it's extremely rare for a tornado to touch down in Illinois in February, and that the last one was in the 1950s...70 some years ago.
   It was so nice outside today (74°), and now they're saying it will be 33° tomorrow, and it's supposed to snow.
Ok me done. 😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 5
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Hugs 5
  • Useful 3
13 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

We're fine, thanks.

Update:
I'm watching the news and they're speculating that at least 8 tornadoes touched down in Illinois (damage still to be determined.) 
   They're saying it's extremely rare for a tornado to touch down in Illinois in February, and that the last one was in the 1950s...70 some years ago.
   It was so nice outside today (74°), and now they're saying it will be 33° tomorrow, and it's supposed to snow.
Ok me done. 😁

i am currently watching the weather channel now and it is moving up and over into michigan now. also, northern texas has a massive wind driven fire that may take out several towns - 250,000 acres last i heard. weather is scary.

• Mind Blown 13
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

i am currently watching the weather channel now and it is moving up and over into michigan now. also, northern texas has a massive wind driven fire that may take out several towns - 250,000 acres last i heard. weather is scary.

I hope everyone stays safe.  Maybe the Duggar emergency squad will show up to "help".

We have had several weather warnings already for this weekend.  Very high winds with maybe 8 inches of snow.

• Mind Blown 7
  • Hugs 4

This morning I received a weather warning from our power company.  Expected winds up to 70 miles per hour and possibly 9 inches of snow starting tomorrow morning. There is a blizzard warning for Tahoe.  I have my Halo Bolts and my Eco Flow River (all from QVC) all charging right now to be prepared.  I don't have a whole house generator, but at least I will be able to have some lamps and the radio on.  And maybe my heated blanket.  I'm picking up groceries from Walmart today, so I should be good.  

It sounds like there is bad weather in several places.  Every one stay safe and warm.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 14
(edited)

I remember a tornado warning when I was living in Toledo (Holland, OH, actually) in an apartment just off highway 2 and tornadoes were spotted by the airport that was just down the highway. I had to try to wrangle three cats into a windowless walk-in closet under a comforter (with a battery operated radio). I'd get two in, one would shoot out, go grab him and bring him back, another one escapes. It was kind of Three Stooges, Feline Edition, but I finally managed and we were fine. A colleague of my husband at the time was from CA (where I have lived for the last 3+ decades) and was only trained for earthquakes. So he took his kids out onto the front lawn because you don't necessarily want to be indoors when the ground is shaking and they watched a tornado go by. They were also fine but I believe his colleagues set him straight post-haste when he told the story. I also remember a tornado warning when I was a kid and living in Indiana in a mobile home when my mom hustled my sister and me--and my gerbil in his cage--out to crouch in a ditch while the weather cleared.

Thank you for indulging this walk down weather memory lane.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 6
  • Hugs 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/27/2024 at 9:06 PM, zoomama said:

i am currently watching the weather channel now 

Today I have an appointment at the local Xfinity store to discuss changes to my account, which has TV/internet/phone. I'm going to take my TV box and remote with me. Because unless they can offer me one helluva deal - I'm dropping TV from the package.

I was away from home for four weeks recently, traveling and mostly camping in AZ. It was a nice escape from winter. Since I've been home, I've realized how little I watch anything on cable TV that I couldn't watch on one of my streaming services (and I don't even have Netflix, dropped it two years ago and don't miss it). My typical interaction with my cable TV: I turn it on, go to the guide to find something I want to watch, and end up watching a repeat of Dr. Pol or Engineering Catastrophes or To Catch a Smuggler. Or something on ID or Oxygen. Often a repeat. And I know almost all of that stuff is available on one or more of my streaming services.

In terms of real screen time, I swear I've watched more stuff on the free service Tubi than anything else, in the last few weeks. 🤣 Go figure.

I live in a third floor condo facing the direction where the huge transmission towers are located for our area. I have a terrific antenna on each of my TVs. The reception is excellent; I don't know what the technical meaning of "hi def" is, but the picture and sound are stellar. Also, there are now even more digital subchannels than there used to be. There's even the Oxygen true crime channel, for pete's sake. Yes, they offer repeats and older stuff, but I have the major broadcast networks for breaking news and there's always the innernetz.

But, I will miss The Weather Channel. However, I have the WeatherNation channel installed on my Rokus. WeatherNation is very good for local weather information, and has a live stream discussing national weather as well. 

@CalicoKitty, I hope your weekend weather is nowhere near as gnarly as predicted, and good for you for being prepared anyway! Also, I hope everyone in the area of the awful Texas wildfires is safe today. 

• Like 9

@Jeeves- sounds like you are about to save some money by cutting the cable! I envy you. We're forced by our association dues to pay for Comcast cable. Internet is a separate bill, so it's not a good deal, but many of my neighbors keep voting "no change" when we are asked if we'd like to switch to setting up our own. We don't watch cable and most of what we watch is streaming. I'm sick of it! HOAs are not known for promoting freedom, lol. Sounds like you have a good plan in place to give them one last chance!

• Like 6
7 hours ago, BetyBee said:

@Jeeves- sounds like you are about to save some money by cutting the cable! 

Thanks. I had a nice visit with a guy at the Xfinity store and did drop TV from my package - and turned in the TV box then and there.

This cuts my bill in half - I'm keeping the high speed internet and home phone service. It's a big bill, so halving it is no small savings.

I'm sorry you can't ditch the cable TV because of your HOA. HOAs have their uses but as with everything in this life, nothing's perfect. 

I just spent some time exploring - more than I have for awhile - what's on offer from my streaming services. Max has some interesting stuff coming soon, including the movie Cabaret (1972), and new HBO originals. I found some interesting movies on Peacock Premium as well, which I've saved to my list.

Confession: a couple of months ago I made a list of all my streaming services - because I'd kind of lost the plot. I have a couple that are free (Peacock through my Comcast rewards program, Disney+ package through my Verizon account), and am just coming off some promotional pricing for a few others. I need that list to keep tabs on them! I may drop Britbox or Acorn again next month if I find I'm not watching them very much. Max is the highest priced one, but I like it; no ads, and a lot of content including HBO programs. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
On 2/28/2024 at 8:35 PM, jcbrown said:

I also remember a tornado warning when I was a kid and living in Indiana in a mobile home when my mom hustled my sister and me--and my gerbil in his cage--out to crouch in a ditch while the weather cleared.

Thank you for indulging this walk down weather memory lane.

That would have been so scary! I remember being a kid and my grandmother getting me and my brother up in the middle of the night. She made us get in the bathtub and threw a mattress over it.

4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Confession: a couple of months ago I made a list of all my streaming services - because I'd kind of lost the plot. I have a couple that are free (Peacock through my Comcast rewards program, Disney+ package through my Verizon account), and am just coming off some promotional pricing for a few others. I need that list to keep tabs on them! I may drop Britbox or Acorn again next month if I find I'm not watching them very much. Max is the highest priced one, but I like it; no ads, and a lot of content including HBO programs. 

I had to do this too. Ended up canceling Netflix and Hulu and don't miss them. I kept Amazon Prime but only for shipping. If I only had it to stream, I'd have canceled that too. 

• Like 9

Speaking of streaming services, I watched a sort of heart-warming show on Netflix yesterday. "The Bank of Dave" is a true(ish) story of how a man in rural England fought the banking system and was able to open a local bank to help local people and businesses.  The bank is still in operation.  Sort of the same feeling as "Kinky Boots".  A pleasant way to while away a rainy day.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I just tried to log on to the Shopping Channel forums and received a message that I don't have permission to open it.  Has anyone else had this experience?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Given that my snark meter is pretty high (and been around since the TWOP days), I'm not sure I've ever seen whatever issues they're talking about. If they want us to stop talking about something or someone, they better come out and say it. I see that Josh & Anna topic is locked, so perhaps it was getting "ugly" in there. Being treated like a toddler does NOT make me want to read or post here (which is maybe their point).

I think they have changed their opinion of what is allowed to be posted.  There was a mod post about  their new desired direction after the last site update.  It sounds like snark about the Duggars and  their friends is not allowed- that must be it because I think posters are fairly respectful to each other.   This has always been a snark forum.  It has never been a Duggar fan forum, but it sounds to me as if that’s what the moderators want it to be. 

I know they’ve marked several of the threads titles as being disrespectful.  Those titles were originally suggested and chosen by vote of the members. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 19
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Given that my snark meter is pretty high (and been around since the TWOP days), I'm not sure I've ever seen whatever issues they're talking about. If they want us to stop talking about something or someone, they better come out and say it. I see that Josh & Anna topic is locked, so perhaps it was getting "ugly" in there. Being treated like a toddler does NOT make me want to read or post here (which is maybe their point).

Same here. I'll probably not be here much longer, by my choice - or I could be banned.

The specific "guidance" for the Counting On subform to survive is: 

Expectations: Engage constructively, respect diverse opinions, and refrain from any form of harassment or discriminatory speech.

Because apparently we haven't been respectful in our forum conversations, or we've harassed people in those conversations, or we've engaged in "discriminatory speech" (I assume that means nasty name-calling) - or all of the above?

Or is it just about the titles - in which case, as noted, can't the mods just change the offensive titles to conform with Primetimer's DEI guidelines?

Anyway, it's not a Duggar fan forum, and if that's what it's spozed to be, then yep, it's gonna be shut down.

In the meantime if anybody wants to stay in touch, just DM me. You're a nice bunch of people and it's been a lot of fun to be in touch with you over the years here.

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
5 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I think they have changed their opinion of what is allowed to be posted.  There was a mod post about  their new desired direction after the last site update.  It sounds like snark about the Duggars and  their friends is not allowed- that must be it because I think posters are fairly respectful to each other.   This has always been a snark forum.  It has never been a Duggar fan forum, but it sounds to me as if that’s what the moderators want it to be. 

I know they’ve marked several of the threads titles as being disrespectful.  Those titles were originally suggested and chosen by vote of the members. 

I just had an entire forum (Shopping Channels) deleted from my personal forum list, and I get a "you do not have authority to view this forum" message.  What's going on?

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Useful 3
14 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just had an entire forum (Shopping Channels) deleted from my personal forum list, and I get a "you do not have authority to view this forum" message.  What's going on?

Yeah, SCS seems to have vanished. WTAF? 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1

We have till April 1st to improve but how can we do that if tge topics are closed and we don't know specifically what was done? And no...the word salad they posted does not give me a clue to what was do e (or said) Que crazycatlady58 being banned.

• Like 17
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 4
36 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I didn’t see anything particularly egregious there, nor have I received any recent warnings. Without more detail, I have no idea how we’re supposed to know what the specific issues are that need improvement.

• Like 20
  • Applause 2
4 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

We have till April 1st to improve but how can we do that if tge topics are closed and we don't know specifically what was done? And no...the word salad they posted does not give me a clue to what was do e (or said) Que crazycatlady58 being banned.

Exactly. Since I haven’t personally received any recent warnings, I have no idea what specifically needs to be changed. Without details, I have no clue!

1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Why was the Jinger topic closed? I don't see anything there that could be considered negative or harmful. 

I'm really confused.

Me either and same!

• Like 14
(edited)

I don't think any of us who post regularly are the problem.  I have noticed a lot of new names posting in the last couple of weeks.  I wonder if this was planned (I know, I read too many mystery novels).  But I did think it was odd to see so many new posters lately.

Edited by CalicoKitty
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 5