Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: You're Lookin' At Country

Cranberry

If Zoey had dumped Gunnar with an attitude of "Hey, I'm not the hired help, you don't get to treat me this way," I think I might feel differently. But she phrased it in terms of nobly sparing him pain because his connection to Micah is so tragic and mighty that it must have priority. That's the instinct of an adolescent, not an adult human being. (Personally, I think their issues could have been worked out; he was being disrespectful. Why not talk to him about that, instead of pitching herself headlong into Scarlett's arms, all "I have NOWHERE ELSE TO GOOOO!!!1!"?)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

Why do the promos always feature the Rayna storyline to the exclusion of all others?  The people who are marketing this show are not making wise choices.

It's the same reason that Rayna swept the CMAs. Her poop doesn't stink; it smells like roses. 

I can't help thinking that a lot of the Rayna issues are because Connie Britton is executive producer and this has turned into some sort of vanity project for her. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed Zoe just ending it probably partly because I'm tired of seeing the women take the men's shit on this show, ad nauseam, like Rayna did this week.

Well, there is that. But I also agree with the poster upthread who observed a certain, shall we say passive-aggressive quality in Rayna's dispatching Luke to the shower and har-har-ing about "Gosh, all these awesome awards I just won all night long are so heavy!" I'm not sure Rayna's entirely convinced by Luke's continuing series of apologies, sincere as they may be at the moment of delivery.  

Edited by Sandman
I had forgotten all about Derek. If its over, it was pointless but the last thing that this show needs is another character without a storyline.

The Ghost of Lamar coming back to haunt Teddy would actually be a welcome addition since its been completely forgotten that he watched Lamar die without helping. 

1 - They'll be introducing another pointless character with Sadie's texting stalker ex.  I don't and won't care.

2 - I would so watch The Ghost of Lamar show.

• Love 3

I got the sense that Avery didn't warn Juliette what his father was like. During all of the business with Scarlett's abusive mother, I don't remember either Scarlett or Avery ever mentioning anything about Avery's father. I guess the Avery's-father-is-a-bad-parent-like-Scarlett's-mother-and-Juliette's-mother idea is a new one for the writers.

Also, since when are Avery's parents from Ohio? Didn't he grow up with Scarlett in Mississippi? Didn't he just try to go back there with her on the aborted road trip? All of a sudden his parents are Midwesterners? Where did he and Scarlett meet and date for years?

• Love 2

Oh, Betha, you're trying to make SENSE of the storylines. It doesn't work, my dear. Consistency, integrity, logic? Not happening much with this show.

The crazy that is Nashville sure does make for a lot of snarky fun, however.

But thank you, Rose, for some info from the earlier seasons, for those of us who are relatively new viewers.

Edited by mousegirl
  • Love 1

The timeline on this show is all kinds of screwed.  So in the span of 1 year Rayna has gotten into an accident, was in a coma, lost and regained her voice, had her daughter's paternity revealed publicly and privately, started a record lable, launched an album, reconnected with Luke, got engaged, went on tour and is now planning a wedding.  Did I miss anything?  And that's just Rayna, we're not even going to get in to what's happened to Juliette.

There's no way on hell that Rayna's unseen lawyers (or at least Bucky the manager) wouldn't have pre-nups for clients.  On Luke's side too.  It has nothing to do with people trusting each other, its just like life insurance -- you hope you don't need it but its there to protect you if you do.  And Rayna and Luke wouldn't battle it out -- each one's lawyers would.

I will never understand why this show is insisting on painting Rayna as some clueless newcomer this year but the pre-nup stuff was ridiculous.  Rayna and Luke both have substantial assets, they both have kids and Rayna has Highway 65.  There's no way her lawyers and Luke's laywers wouldn't have dealt with the prenup ages ago.

I know Rayna & Deacon are supposedly end game but I truly & honestly hate that. Hate. Lots of hate. As in edging closer & closer to quitting the show. Juliette is about the only thing keeping me. I know Deacon has been a raging drunk. Blah, blah, blah. I think Rayna has out assed him at every turn. She has led him on through thick & thin, married & single life, non-parent or insta-dad. Deacon is an idiot for hanging on & Rayna is a creep for not putting a stop to it long ago. The crowning of Rayna as the queen of everything at the awards show was just another sparkle added to the halo of her shining angel status. Ugh.

Agreed.  The only thing this storyline is doing is making me seriously dislike Deacon and he used to be one of my favourites.  I can't stand Rayna so this is nothing new but at this point Deacon is just pathetic.

Question: Why was Gunnar rude to Jeff when he interrupted Zoe and Jeff's brief discussion? Is their bad blood between Gunnar and Jeff? I don't remember.

Doesn't it have something to do with Jeff insulting Scarlett?

Also, since when are Avery's parents from Ohio? Didn't he grow up with Scarlett in Mississippi? Didn't he just try to go back there with her on the aborted road trip? All of a sudden his parents are Midwesterners? Where did he and Scarlett meet and date for years?

He and Scarlett met at Ole Miss.

Gunnar and Zoe were done the second he snapped at her that watching Micah was her job.  It's really, really not.  She's living there with him and his son, not working, cooking, cleaning and taking care of Micah. It's exactly the life she was trying to avoid and she has told Gunnar that a million times.  He's either ignoring her or he doesn't notice it happening but she's slowly becoming the stay at home mom/housewife.  I don't have strong feelings about her either way but I was glad she left.

• Love 2

Betha, I don't think we can compare Avery's father to the trailer park, substance abuser losers that are the mothers  of Juliette and Scarlett mothers. Yes, he's a total ass but in the end, he has expectations he'd like to see his son meet as is normal from a middle-class parent who sees his child sort of floating around in a challenging industry and horrors one that is all artsy-fartsy to boot. Under the circumstances, even a nice dad might be thinking the same way but try to express his views in a more diplomatic manner. The incident also helped Avery recognize that he shares some of his father's traits when he feels hurt and/or betrayed, so that was a good thing. 

It's great seeing Juliette and Avery slowly making their way toward each other. I just really want them to have a healthy and happy baby. Fingers crossed! And be a happy couple.

Not sure how I feel about Zoe. She should have told the kid to stay put and not move without saying something to her, but then there'd have been no story, right? Gunnar panicked as is normal and lashed out because he'd left the kid in her care, but he did apologize later. She should have said, look, i didn't sign up to be a soccer mom so if this kid's going to stay you need to hire a babysitter/nanny/whatever so I can do my thing.

Cannot wait until Luke and Rayna break up and although I want her to be with Deacon ultimately, she needs some Kelly Taylor time to focus on her children and her marriage. I hate Luke but he's also too passive-aggressive, male chauvinist pig to be with the likes of Rayna James.

And because I cannot say it enough, watching Scarlett and Deacon watch the CMAs was one of the absolute best parts of the show. Scarlett was like a kid at Christmas and cracked me up. Look! Will's on the television!

• Love 1

I think Gunnar also hates Jeff because he referred to Scarlett as "loony" after her onstage meltdown. Probably the hookup with Juliette didn't help either.

Zoe leaving Gunnar was the most life that character has shown since she arrived, but I think she's ushering herself off the show. Jeff is desperate for artists but he'll cut bait the instant you're not trending on the charts. So have fun with that Zoe. Also come on, another storyline about someone stumbling ass-backwards into a recording deal that she didn't know she wanted? It's an insult to all those who work so hard for so long and don't get those opportunities.

Gunnar, if you'd ever watched television you'd know that Micah is not your kid. And btw, Micah is calling him "Dad"(?!!!) Pet peeve, I'm not crazy about it when Maddie does it too. But Micah barely knows Gunnar, yet Kylie laid that home "truth" on her 10 year old? No bueno.

I couldn't figure out why there weren't more shots of Jeff being tortured and aggravated by Rayna's success. His closeups were so random. I expected to see him gnashing his teeth along with Luke.

It's sad, watching Season 1 and 2 on Hulu is still so much fun. This season...not so much.

• Love 1

I loved this episode until we had to endure yet another sappy Luke Wheeler apology and yet another moment where Rayna loves him and accepts him and forgives him and blah blah blah blah.

They are quickly losing me.

Which is the point.  We're supposing to be souring on Luke/Rayna to set up the inevitable Rayna/Deacon re-coupling. Don't worry. It will come.

I can't help thinking that a lot of the Rayna issues are because Connie Britton is executive producer and this has turned into some sort of vanity project for her.

I can see that for why Rayna is featured prominently, but how would it explain ruining the character? If Connie's got a horse in that race, it seems to me she'd want Rayna viewed favorably.

We're supposing to be souring on Luke/Rayna to set up the inevitable Rayna/Deacon re-coupling.

I feel like we've been souring for a very long time. I'm getting bored with that...

Edited by madam magpie

I know a lot of people on here hate on Rayna, but I LOVE feminist Rayna. That speech about there being enough sunshine for everyone was just the right balance of positive and snarky. And thanking Juliette and Sadie was just so awesome. When this show actually does the whole being about music thing it gets so good. (of course she kinda ruined her whole point by not dumping luke right then and there...)

Whats up with Juliette being so sweet and subdued about everything these days. She even thanked her makeup artists!! I guess she’s a real grown up now. Good for her, but I’m going to miss the bitchy “queen of my own planet” girl. Still, she totally carries that show. That look she gave Avery when he said he wasn’t his father: GOLD. I guess her being subtly can be almost as good as her being a grenade of attitude.

I hate myself for forgiving Avery for being such a jackass in the span of 2 episodes. But hey, he melts me. 

HOW the hell did “don’t put dirt on my grave” not win an award. Thats one of the best songs this show has ever come out with. I mean really?? can Juliette ever have a win ever???

also this might be the dumbest question, but what was happening in that juliette flashback?? The one with the two little girls? I couldnt even figure out which one she was hahaha can someone help me out?

• Love 4

I know a lot of people on here hate on Rayna, but I LOVE feminist Rayna. That speech about there being enough sunshine for everyone was just the right balance of positive and snarky. And thanking Juliette and Sadie was just so awesome. When this show actually does the whole being about music thing it gets so good. (of course she kinda ruined her whole point by not dumping luke right then and there...)

Whats up with Juliette being so sweet and subdued about everything these days. She even thanked her makeup artists!! I guess she’s a real grown up now. Good for her, but I’m going to miss the bitchy “queen of my own planet” girl. Still, she totally carries that show. That look she gave Avery when he said he wasn’t his father: GOLD. I guess her being subtly can be almost as good as her being a grenade of attitude.

I hate myself for forgiving Avery for being such a jackass in the span of 2 episodes. But hey, he melts me. 

HOW the hell did “don’t put dirt on my grave” not win an award. Thats one of the best songs this show has ever come out with. I mean really?? can Juliette ever have a win ever???

also this might be the dumbest question, but what was happening in that juliette flashback?? The one with the two little girls? I couldnt even figure out which one she was hahaha can someone help me out?

I think in the second clip, Juliette's mother went out with another of her men friends and left a very young Juliette to watch an even younger child.  Juliette followed in her mother's footsteps by simply leaving and locking the little girl in the trailer.  That incident is one reason Juliette feared that she would be as poor a mother as her own.

• Love 1

Agree and am surprised to see the response from another poster that this is the actual place that the CMAs are held. It looked like they were sitting on folding chairs.

That was only a portion of Bridgestone Arena.  I was a guest at an awards show there several years ago (not as big as the CMA's, although big enough that all the big names were there) and we did sit on folding chairs, so your observation isn't totally out of the question.  As for the bathrooms, maybe those were created and filmed on set and not really the bathrooms at the Bridgestone.

For those who don't like Will, I've met and chatted with Chris Carmack several times and he's one of the nicest, down-to-earth, most gracious people that could possibly be in show business.  He just stuck his hand out and said, "Hi, I'm Chris." and was quite sweet and funny.  Of course, a person could like Chris and still not like Will.

Teddy is hosting our (Nashville's) Christmas Parade along with our real mayor, Karl Dean.

Chip Esten will be playing 2 shows at the Grand Ole Opry tomorrow night if anybody's interested!

And finally, I hope Layla enjoys a successful suicide.

That is all.

• Love 1

I can see that for why Rayna is featured prominently, but how would it explain ruining the character? If Connie's got a horse in that race, it seems to me she'd want Rayna viewed favorably.

I really think that everyone involved with the show perceives Rayna as a really wonderful character.  I think they see her as Tami Taylor in the music business or something.  There seems to be a huge disconnect between interviews/tweets/etc by the people making this thing and the audience, particularly here and on the old TWoP boards.  They seem to think Rayna can do no wrong, Luke is a fabulous catch, and there is mad chemistry between them.  

Not sure how I feel about Zoe. She should have told the kid to stay put and not move without saying something to her, but then there'd have been no story, right?

I don't blame Zoe for not telling Micah to stay there and not move without saying something to her.  She was standing right in front of him.  I'm not surprised it didn't occur to her to tell him that.  Micah should have known better than to just run off at a huge, strange arena without telling anyone.  It's not like he suddenly had to go and nobody was around.  Zoe was standing right there. 

• Love 1

Sooooo...we're just not going to talk about the fact that Scarlett watched the CMAs in a hospital gown she pilfered from her stay at the horse farm, her grandmother's slip and a pair of Uncle Deacon's "cleaning the gutters" socks? All while wearing makeup and lashes? 

Something about Chaley's delivery is always off. The emphasis she puts on her words seems to hit the wrong part of the sentence. Her delivery is just strange to me. I like her as a member of ZAG and even as a friend to Avery and on a lesser note, Will, but not as a girlf...you know what, I actually don't think she's the problem in that relationship. She wants to pursue a music career like just about everyone she knows in Nashville and Gunnar has never been as supportive of that as he could have been. Then blaming her for his non-kid's "abduction" was taking it way too far. Hell no. 

I'm going to give the non-kid a one-time pass for getting lost because his mother is shit. He's probably had to fend for himself a lot of times. God takes care of babies and fools and that literally describes him and his mother. Not looking forward to seeing or hearing from his grandparents. Hopefully they'll come pick him up over the two week break and we never hear about him again. 

Jeff is an ass and I expect Mario Van Peebles character to show up at some point to say something about the results of the CMAs. Hopefully, he'll be fired. Matter fact, Jeff, Zoey, the non-kid, Teddy's stupid self, the hooker, Layla AND Luke can all get on a plane to the Island of Misfit Toys. 

Layla. Honey, I wish I cared about your life. You too, Sadie.

People hate on Rayna, but I can't throw the towel in on my girl just yet. I remember (read: rewatched S1) how she told Deacon that she'd waited for him while he was in rehab and had tried so hard to be there for him, etc. I think once you've been in a codependent relationship, it's easy to get into another unhealthy relationship. The way she had to apologize to Luke for winning awards...that's just abusive as hell to me. I do think that now she's starting to have some realization about it though, because no matter how hard she tried to convince everybody else, she never felt for Luke what she did/does for Deacon. 

Juliette and Avery, my loves. No need to say anything else. I may or may not admit to watching that zipper scene about six times. And the smirk afterwards? Gurrrl...getcho man back.

Rewatching S1 made me remember how good the music was back then. Dang. I'm about to buy some singles.

• Love 7

I really think that everyone involved with the show perceives Rayna as a really wonderful character.  I think they see her as Tami Taylor in the music business or something.  There seems to be a huge disconnect between interviews/tweets/etc by the people making this thing and the audience, particularly here and on the old TWoP boards.  They seem to think Rayna can do no wrong, Luke is a fabulous catch, and there is mad chemistry between them. 

I've not gotten that sense from Connie Britton herself, though. She's always said she really likes Rayna and Deacon together, and a few weeks back, after some episode, she tweeted something like "Oh, Rayna. So much to answer for."

I think you're right about the writers, but I'm not sure she has much pull.

I really don't get the Gunnar dislike. Yeah, he went to take a phone call, from his sons grandparents, whom Zoey pretty much pushed him into calling them. Yes, when she started dating Gunner he didn't have a kid so it's not like she knew what she was getting into, however even when he was just visiting she was already trying to get Gunnar to push him away. She has been jealous and resentful pretty much since they started dating; Will, Avery, Julliette, and now Gunnar's kid. And then it became all about her and Jeff had her attention.

And yeah Gunnar flipped out. Any parent would have. Zoey didn't give a rat's ass that the kid was gone. When he showed up gain, he was with that Cop Gunnar had talked to, so he might have been missing even longer.

All of this of course means that the kid isn't his. Because this is a Soap Opera with a Country twang, and nobody can have nice things.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure the writers work for the Executive Producers and not the other way around. I think even the Showrunner (head writer) has to answer to the EPs. They are the money.

I'm pretty sure the writers work for the Executive Producers and not the other way around. I think even the Showrunner (head writer) has to answer to the EPs. They are the money.

In film, that's true, but not in TV. Many times the producers on a TV show are the main writers. Other times, "producer" can be a vanity credit given to the main actor/s. Other times, it can be a credit with some influence. I have no idea what the set-up is on this show, but it's possible Connie Britton has very little pull creatively, despite her producer credit. On a TV show, I believe everyone has to answer to the network; they are the money.

• Love 1

I think Zoey made the right decision. Gunnar was foisting a lot of responsibility for Micah onto her without noticing that she wasn't happy about it. Yeah, she could have just had a conversation about that with him, but the bottom line is that she simply doesn't want a kid at this point in her life. It's far better for everyone involved for her to walk away than to stay and keep acting out like she had been, complaining constantly about how they shouldn't have to be responsible for this kid. They'd been together what, not even a year? I think it's totally fair at that stage to decide that this isn't what she signed up for.

Oh, Teddy. I can see why he's developing feelings for the prostitute - she's available when he wants her to be, goes away when he wants her to, and keeps things fun, uncomplicated, and entirely focused on his needs. Teddy is exactly the sort of guy who would get drawn in by that and think it's something more than it is. Of course it doesn't occur to him that having an actual relationship with this woman, in which she has physical and emotional needs too and isn't going to just go away whenever her presence isn't convenient for him, would be very different from what's happening now.

I get why some people are annoyed that Rayna won all the awards, but I'm hopeful that there's going to be a payoff soon. I think Rayna is on the verge of some big realizations about the way she's handling her career right now (Ruke, the extent to which she's letting the press into her personal life, campaigning for awards, etc.). I think it's going to be much more satisfying if she rejects that way (Luke's way) of doing things because it's just not her and it's not good for her family rather than simply because it didn't achieve the expected results in terms of career success.

I really like this version of Will and Layla's relationship. I'm glad we got to fast-forward through more of crazy Layla getting drunk and acting out, to get to a place where they're able to lean on each other to try and get through the lie they're stuck living. They've given Layla some depth, so she doesn't feel like a cartoon character anymore.

Edited by Bubbles
  • Love 4

In film, that's true, but not in TV. Many times the producers on a TV show are the main writers. Other times, "producer" can be a vanity credit given to the main actor/s. Other times, it can be a credit with some influence. I have no idea what the set-up is on this show, but it's possible Connie Britton has very little pull creatively, despite her producer credit. On a TV show, I believe everyone has to answer to the network; they are the money.

Connie has confirmed as much! She was on a panel with a group of other high profile drama actresses (maybe last year?) and was asked about the EP credit. Her exact words were, "It means absolutely nothing."

• Love 2

I really don't get the Gunnar dislike. Yeah, he went to take a phone call, from his sons grandparents, whom Zoey pretty much pushed him into calling them. Yes, when she started dating Gunner he didn't have a kid so it's not like she knew what she was getting into, however even when he was just visiting she was already trying to get Gunnar to push him away.

She shouldn't have had to push him to contact the grandparents. Kylie ditching Micah with Gunnar doesn't give him custody or any legal rights to Micah at all.  If something had happened Gunnar couldn't even authorize medical treatment for the kid.  If he intends on keeping Micah long term then he needs to do so legally and in order to do that he needs to find Kylie and have her sort this shit out or report Kylie for abandoning Micah and hope that CAS will allow him to keep Micah while they look for Kylie themselves.  Just ignoring reality so you can play house with your brand new 10 year old doesn't make it go away.

The writing for Micah is just astonishingly bad.  Yes, Kylie is a shit mother but she's the only parent he's had for the last 10 years.  Her ditching him and dropping off the face of the earth should really get more of a reaction than a half assed ball and chain comment.

Edited by rachel1496
  • Love 5

Amen to the above as to the custody of Micah.  Take care of the legal aspects (Gunnar not named on birth certificate; Zoey no one to him) and once that is settled, Gunnar could hire a nanny AND still be together with Zoey.  But not soapy enough!

• Love 1

I've not gotten that sense from Connie Britton herself, though. She's always said she really likes Rayna and Deacon together, and a few weeks back, after some episode, she tweeted something like "Oh, Rayna. So much to answer for."

I saw Connie on GMA this summer when she was promoting her movie. They of course asked about Nashville and the big summer cliffhanger, whether Rayna made a decision or not. She gave a very tight-lipped response, saying that oh yes, there would be a decision. Period. Nothing more and a very clear nod to the interviewer not to go any deeper down that road. She didn't seem like the happiest of campers, to say the least. My guess is she doesn't like Rayna's storyline any more than we do.

• Love 2

I agree she shouldn't have to push. My point was she was complaining about Gunnar spending time with his kid from the first moment he stayed over night for that one time. And I'm not saying Gunnar is a saint, or even smart, just that Zoey has had resting bitchface going on about anyone Gunnar spends time with that isn't Zoey. Like, from even when they weren't dating yet. She's also been ruthlessly focused on her career too, which isn't a bad thing given where she is and all, but it's always been all about Zoey. Sure it was ballsy to pick up Juliet's performance, and it horribly backfired on her. She was astonished that Juliet fired her. How would fire her? Zoey has always been me, me, ME!

Also: The prenup and Rayna being upset about it. I don't think she was upset about the prenup per se, she even said as much. I think it was the fact he went and had a pretty hefty looking contract drawn up guessing by the number of pages (that thing was War and Peace thick!) without her input. He just had it in a bag, ready to sign, on their biggest night. It looked like (to me) that Luke expected to mop the floor with her, and then throw that hefty prenup in her lap right after. Notice he said anything he made from this point on which would not include anything he intended to win an award for.

• Love 1

I saw Connie on GMA this summer when she was promoting her movie. They of course asked about Nashville and the big summer cliffhanger, whether Rayna made a decision or not. She gave a very tight-lipped response, saying that oh yes, there would be a decision. Period. Nothing more and a very clear nod to the interviewer not to go any deeper down that road. She didn't seem like the happiest of campers, to say the least. My guess is she doesn't like Rayna's storyline any more than we do.

That's the impression I've always gotten from her too. She likely under contract and has to stay, but what the character of Rayna has become definitely seems to contradict everything she says about what she believes in personally and what kinds of characters she wants to play.

In other news, that movie was fun!!

• Love 1

She signed a 7-year contract. I highly doubt this show will make it that long, but I feel sorry for her if it does.

If you listen to her in interviews during season 1 (the Paleyfest panel, as a prime example) she would absolutely praise the Deacon and Rayna relationship and how textured and deep it is and she and Chip would often promote together and sit next to each other for interviews and talk about their characters and I could go on for days.

Now any time anyone asks her anything she's either tight lipped or she gives some sarcastic answer and all Chip can talk about is his wife.

She's definitely not happy.

Edited by airwair

The unzipping of the dress and the slight caress on the back of the neck may have been the most sensual moment ever on this show.  Or, heck, on any show I've seen this season.  In every scene, the actors playing Avery and Juliette really do bring it.

I originally came to Nashville for Connie Britton, based on a tremendous amount good will left over from her portrayal of Tami Taylor.  But I only see an occasional glimmer of that spark, that depth of performance on this show.  And whenever she calls Luke 'babe', I'm reminded that was her term of endearment for Eric Taylor on FNL.  Now I'm wondering if the 'babes' are even scripted or if that's something Connie Britton just tosses out there.

As others have posted, I'm hanging onto this show for Avery and Juliette.

Though I did enjoy Deacon and Scarlett watching the CMAs from their couch. That was both sweet and cute.  Hey, an episode where I kind of liked Scarlett!  Yay!

And I miss the quality of the music we got in season 1 and parts of season 2.

• Love 5

She signed a 7-year contract, I highly doubt this show will make it that long, but I feel sorry for her if it does.

Why would any actress/actor sign for 7 years, I thought 5 years was the standard with resigning comes bonuses, that's if the series is between 1 and 10 on the TV charts. As we all know and have heard some actresses show discontent with the material they are given does that mean anything. (I have to believe Connie as an established actress can't or won't make waves.) I can't believe the people viewing the ratings can't see what's happening to a show that was so good in season1, part of season 2 and now going full speed ahead towards that cliff that they are going to go over. (Oh, is that comment from a movie I once saw.)

I believe a seven-year contract is standard for a network TV show. That's one reason, I think, that actors can be iffy about doing them. It's a huge leap of faith.

Connie really may have virtually no pull. She seems like a huge star to us, but in Hollywood terms, she's not. A friend of mine used to work in TV production in LA, and she was always reminding me that the actors are basically expensive props. They're the famous face of a show so the network, writers, etc. want to keep them happy and so kind of coddle them, but they usually have no say over a show's direction. They're usually not even the highest paid. That's one reason that when you get a show like The Big Bang Theory or Friends where the actors become superstars and the show is crazy famous, once their seven-year initial contracts are up, they band together and demand a bigger share of the pie. And even then, when they're paid insane amounts of money like $1 million per episode, they STILL are making the network and studio a ton of additional money. So even though we see the actors and think they're in control, they're almost always not.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

Am done trying to make logic of most of these storylines and how useless/contrived many of the plot devices and characters are (the fake son, the mayor & his hooker, among several ) and how bad some of the acting (i.e. zzzzZoey) is. Still rooting for the show despite it all. Sometimes, Nashville, I feel like the cowboy in Brokeback Mountain-- "I wish I could quit you". But can't just yet so-

Good episode compared to much of this season. Eric Close did a good job directing and somehow the writers were able to include in this episode all of the 97 characters that we're supposed to care about in this show. Maybe give Eric a deal to direct more shows and send Teddy to D.C. for a special task force? 

Deacon/Scarlett were sweet. I'm always in for Deacon and Chip Esten's gruff integrity and overall hotness. This is a man- even when he's still pining for Rayna. Didn't Scarlett's eyelashes look kinda large? Just saying.

Too much Rayna/St Rayna. Miss the Rayna who could be a bit sarcastic and sassy. No shock that she got to win everything- it's Connie Britton's show I guess. Like many, still rooting for her- but we get her (and the insipid Luke Wheeler) and their extended storyline at the exclusion of all the others. Even the promos are only about them. And it looks like we get another song from them next episode- why- when so many others have hardly gotten to perform this season? Do the writers and producers know something we don't? Hoping that after her big win this year we get to see less of Rayna as a performer/star and just focusing on managing her label. Her last speech was lovely-somewhat of a feminist manifesto at the end. My biggest fear for the inevitable Rayna/Luke breakup is that we'll have to start following Luke as his own character/storyline. I just think his character has brought this show down. Looks like they'll put him with Sadie but that's yet another storyline that will take time away from the core characters.

Have hardly gotten any music yet from Gunnar or Avery compared to the others. Would much rather hear their more authentic songs than Luke Wheeler's or some of those more commercial country songs they've been using this season. Miss the folk/Americana vibe of music from S1 and much of S2.

Like a lot of the posters, loved the Juliette/Avery parts and still in mainly for them. HP and JJ simply bring it. The zipper scene, as some noted, was so sensual and they had more chemistry in a few seconds than most of the other 'couples'  have had in all their scenes combined. The looks they gave each other when he openly commented about his dad then realized he had been like him was great. And when she told him they were having a girl- so damn sweet. The two characters I think work as a couple because they are flawed people who really do make each other better. They better get these two together soon so we can at least see them happy for about 2 or 3 shows before something awful happens again. Hoping Avery works with Juliette on her album and we hear some of their music.

Nashville probably isn't popular enough, but at this point just wish they'd give Hayden her own show as Juliette in a spin-off. After Juliette's inevitable comeback, I sorta wish she'd pull a Taylor Swift move and go to NY or LA to pursue pop/rock music and/or movies. Or maybe Las Vegas could give her one of those long term concert deals (ala Brittany Spears). Take Avery and the baby with you, Juliette- and Glen and Emily, too. I'd be on board with that.

John Ramos' recaps on this site are the best. So enjoy reading the posts of all the fans on this board - their passion for the show, their favorite characters, and all the snark.

• Love 1

I couldn't figure out why there weren't more shots of Jeff being tortured and aggravated by Rayna's success. His closeups were so random. I expected to see him gnashing his teeth along with Luke.

I was hoping for some more mustache twirling and a few veiled threats from Jeff. He's such a nuanced character.

Jeff is an ass and I expect Mario Van Peebles character to show up at some point to say something about the results of the CMAs. Hopefully, he'll be fired. Matter fact, Jeff, Zoey, the non-kid, Teddy's stupid self, the hooker, Layla AND Luke can all get on a plane to the Island of Misfit Toys. 

Can't Mario Van Peebles become the new music industry exec on this show? Have him kick slimy Jeff to the curb and then he can step in and run the label. 

If Teddy is going to leave, he needs a better end than running off with the hooker. Peggy and her pig blood were a better choice.

• Love 2

It seems out of character that Rayna would be upset over a pre-nup. It also seems more in Rayna's character to ask for a prenup versus the man who got her name tattooed on his arm.

That's what I said!  I can't see taking the chance of Rayna calling it off.  Plus, these are people in their forties with a former failed marriage, a prenup is practical.

And of course Rayna wins 6 out of 6.

And of course Juliette can never win.  But wasn't her song an FU to the industry? 

I heard an anvil falling for Luke and Sadie.

Is it so obvious that it can't be true?  Luke is finally marrying the woman he's been obsessed with, and Sadie owes everything to Rayna.  It just doesn't make sense. Plus, if Rayna's engagement with Luke is called off, I want it to be because she's come to her senses, not reacting to cheating.

What was Luke feeling when he teared up at Rayna's entertainer of the year speech?  Was it because he was genuinely happy for and proud of Rayna, or guilty because she lovingly thanked him after he acted like a jackass?  It showed he truly cares for her.  I don't like Luke (Toby Keith) - at all.  I buy his jealousy of other men, but his jealousy of Rayna seems off.  They're both at the top of their field, and I would think he's happy to portray the power couple.  Rayna has always been a critical success, so her winning is nothing new.

Deacon and Scarlett were pretty awesome.

I liked every one of their scenes.  As much as Scarlett can irritate me, I liked how she was so happy for her friends, and not jealous of their success.

And of course Juliette can never win.  But wasn't her song an FU to the industry?

It was an FU to the radio stations/venues/fans who trashed her because of a stupid religious controversy that was basically entirely fabricated wasnt it? It was still an incredible song either way 

• Love 2

Yes, Gunnar's dislike of Jeff is related to that Nashville music festival. Jeff told Gunnar that he would put him on tour so he could get some experience (which just meant getting stuck on Scarlett's tour bus) and then he would get a spot at the music festival. He and Deacon got a terrible location at the outskirts and terrible timeslots so they knew they wouldn't get much exposure but they decided screw it, let's just have fun and to hell with everyone else. So technically Jeff followed through on what he promised Gunnar, but in the shittiest way possible. Gunnar now knows that Jeff will say whatever it takes to get what he wants from you and then drop you like a hot potato.

Didn't Gunnar get a check for something like $400,000 for his first song?  Who was it from?  Then he bought that house.

Some of this episode was good, much of it was crap ...

They simply must move the Will and Layla stuff along soon. This story has been treading water all season.

The Micah story is asinine. Zoey looks like a moron for giving up so easy. She hasn't really tried to talk this out with Gunnar. It's dumb, anyway, because Gunnar has a pretty flexible work schedule - it should not be that hard for him to figure this out without assuming Zoey will play full time mom to the kid.

I don't mind the Rayna/Luke story when they show the cracks in their relationship. They were pretty interesting this episode.

I truly don't know what they are doing with Teddy at this point ...

The Juliette and Avery scenes stuff was, of course, the best part of the episode. Juliette's flashbacks to her own crappy childhood were well done.

For me, Connie's Rayna is the star of the show, not Juliette.  I am much more interested in Rayna's life than Juliette's.  But I also love Gunnar and am enjoying seeing him with Michah since the poor guy has no family.  They are sweet together.  I guess he expected too much from Zoey by thinking that if she loved him that she would want to help with his son, especially since she has been home and not really working since Juliette fired her.  i guess that means Gunnar has been supporting them all.

Deacon and Scarlett were so cute together watching the CMA's.  I wish they would show more of them interacting.

Sadie is useless IMO.  It has been obvious to me that she is up to no good and this week's interactions with Luke only support that.  Who cares that her ex husband sent her a text.  Can't see what the big deal is with that and it hardly makes him a stalker.  If she was that worried about him, she could have gotten a new phone number.  Maybe she was the one who screwed him over, but he still loves her.

• Love 3

I think they're trying to suggest that Saide was in an abusive relationship.  While all of the anvils belie this, a little part of me hopes she points out to Rayna what a controlling, petty asshat Luke is and helps Rayna drop him.  If she came from an abusive relationship, she might be able to say that Luke's behavior looks much like the early behavior of her ex.  Of course, I don't remember if any of Luke's asshattery has been done in front of others (other than to Deacon).

• Love 1

Sadie comes across as a bit psycho to me, so I think maybe she was the issue.  She seems like a manipulative schemer.  I hope they don't try to pull the "abused" card with her because her behavior has not backed that up.  

Sadie was clearly in a bad relationship. That's come up a couple of times. I think her ex took a bunch if money from her or something. I hope it wasn't physically abusive because, good lord, I can't take much more melodrama. But so far, I don't see much of anything with Sadie. That scene with Luke was weird, but this show has been known to drop clued and never follow through. I really hope she's a friend to Rayna and not some scheming rival, though that stereotype of women in business would be right up this show's alley.

• Love 1

I am just assuming Sadie is unstable because every woman on the show is.  Rayna was in an abusive relationship with Deacon.  Scarlett and Juliette have/had their Mothers. Peggy was nuts, Zoey is irrationally jealous of Scarlett.  Layla was emotionally abused by Will in the worst way.  Even Maddie has been unstable lately.

Sadie's shiftiness started with her taking that picture of Rayna in her gown and has continued from there IMO.  Her comments about wanting what Rayna has in regards to Luke are creepy.  For a show created by a woman, none of these woman are very strong.

Of course the men aren't much better either.  Teddy hooking up with the hooker backstage at a major event in Nashville was just stupid.  Just wait until Rayna finds out about this.......  Or what about Maddie and Daphne when it somehow hits the news,

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 3

I thought this was a terrible episode. It reminded me of a straight-to-VHS type movie that airs on late night cable in the 1980s. I'm not sure why the show runners are going this route, but I hope things change.

Now that it's fairly clear Luke is not meant to be Rayna's endgame, I'm even more annoyed we've had to deal with him for nearly two seasons. He's wasted my time, and he's almost ruined Rayna's character for me. I can't root for a woman who continues to forgive a spoiled jerk like Luke.

I agree that Luke and Sadie may be headed for something. Something that will finally end Rayna's relationship with him. Fingers crossed it happens during the first episode after winter break.

I'm almost done here. This episode was close to the final straw for me. I don't usually hate watch shows and since I'm beginning to hate this show, I may have to stop watching it.

• Love 1

Luke was doomed to be hated because of the actor's  previous history of Messing around.

Now that two male country singers have come out of the closet for reals, can Will now do it?  Wonder if any of that had to do with this storyline.

• Love 1

Luke was doomed to be hated because of the actor's  previous history of Messing around.

I do not dislike the character because of any previous part the actor has had and in fact, I liked Luke at first because he made Rayna happy and seemed to support her.  But then along the way, they changed him.  

• Love 1