Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles: I Don't Think We're in Nashville Anymore

Babalu

I had the misfortune to endure part of Kevin Costner's hideous egofest of a flick "The Postman" the other day and was bemused to see a younger Chip in it as well, just acting his young heart out.

It made me giggle a bit, not only because it made me remember how shitty most of Kevin Costner's self-directed flicks were, but because I saw some early shades of drunk Deacon in Chip's performance---it helped that his character seemed perpetually anguished and really into breaking shit for no reason.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 2

I saw the promo on the movie The Age of Adaline, WOW, Liam (Michiel Huisman) is the most sexiest thing beside Deacon I've seen in a long time. He should be on the next cover of The Sexist Man.

I saw the promo on the movie The Age of Adaline, WOW, Liam (Michiel Huisman) is the most sexiest thing beside Deacon I've seen in a long time. He should be on the next cover of The Sexist Man.

I saw that trailer...he is just insanely hot. I can't figure out exactly what it is about him, but he just is.

• Love 1

When he was on Nashville everytime I saw him I would always say he needed a shower but boy does he clean up good. Of course Deacon is my favorite and he should be first on the magazine cover as the sexiest man. Michiel is also in the commercial with Gisele Bundchen for Chanel 5 and talk about sexy WOW. Ever since he left Nashville you see him everywhere.

When he was on Nashville everytime I saw him I would always say he needed a shower but boy does he clean up good. Of course Deacon is my favorite and he should be first on the magazine cover as the sexiest man. Michiel is also in the commercial with Gisele Bundchen for Chanel 5 and talk about sexy WOW. Ever since he left Nashville you see him everywhere.

His scruffy appearance served to age him, making it less obvious that he is 14 years younger than Connie Britton.

That scruffy appearance did serve to age him since he's only 31 yrs old. Chip is 49 and Connie is 47. Some men get better looking as they age Chip comes to mind. Never liked a scruffy beard on men but boy have I changed my mind.

• Love 1

That scruffy appearance did serve to age him since he's only 31 yrs old. Chip is 49 and Connie is 47. Some men get better looking as they age Chip comes to mind. Never liked a scruffy beard on men but boy have I changed my mind.

Yeah, I recently rewatched the first couple seasons of The Office, where Chip appears in a couple episodes as Josh Porter. He is way more attractive on Nashville.

It's the scruffy beard on that man. When he doesn't have it he looks to boyish. I'm going to have to look at some episodes of The Office to see him but when he was on the comedy show Who's Line is it, he look so, so young. Keep that beard Chip (Deacon)

What's wrong with looking young? Yeah, I have to say I'm floored at how sexy I find Liam - I don't go for beards at all. 

I also caught Liam - or rather the actor who plays him - in The Treme on HBO. Love the music on that show, though the show itself is too real for me. 

And i had the unexpected pleasure of watching Connie Britton on Tina Fey's new film - This is where i leave you. She's gorgeous and so very talented. I like her range. 

Yeah, I recently rewatched the first couple seasons of The Office, where Chip appears in a couple episodes as Josh Porter.

That's right!  I knew I recognized Chip from something more recent than Whose Line.  He was a dick in The Office, but I loved that branch.

I spotted--for just a second--Michiel Huisman in the Wild trailer (Reese Witherspoon hikes). Another Nashville connection is that First Aid Kit is on the soundtrack (doing an REM cover). Their song "Emmylou" was in a season 1 episode.

• Love 1

So I'm watching this Australian medical series, "All Saints" on Hulu and in their 12th season, sometime back in the early 2000's, I see Clare Bowen (Scarlett) in one of the episodes.  Very young, playing a P-plate (learner's permit) driver involved in a motor vehicle accident.  

If you ever get a chance to catch Chip in the "Static" episode of Cold Case, I urge you to take advantage of it (right now, CC is playing on ION Television on Wednesday evenings, but I don't think they're at that episode yet). He plays a 1950s DJ who was thought to have committed suicide, but when it turns out he may have been murdered, Lil, Scotty, and the squad step in to investigate. It's one of my favorite episodes and the first thing I ever saw Chip in. The part he played really stuck with me over the next couple of years, to the point that I jumped up and shouted, "That's 'The Hawk!' I am SO watching this!" when I saw the first episode of Nashville. Now I love Deacon even more.

Edited by kirinan

Just started viewing the TV series Pan Am (2011-2012), and had to check cast listing to be sure - Yes, that's Will Chase in the role of a married man who had a affair with a stewardess. 

I just did a rewatch of The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which was quite the experience in recognizing actors I had no idea about at the time. Not the least of which was Jonathan Jackson as Kyle Reese. At the time all I thought of him was that they did a damn good job getting a guy who could act exactly like Michael Beihn, and now it's even cooler.

Edited by Eegah
  • Love 2
(edited)

Eric Close is in Oscar nominated American Sniper, he plays a DIA Agent.

I am so far behind the times, so I only just saw American Sniper this past weekend. When they got to the scene with Eric Close in it, I could not help but wonder what the mayor of Nashville was doing on assignment in Iraq.

Edited by LeafontheWind
  • Love 1

OMG, I was at another forum and someone list a series that Chip was in 2008 and most of the time in the 3 episode that I watched he was naked. It was histerical Chip our Deacon naked and let me tell you I watched those 3 episode a few times. Well more than a few times. Youtube Rain Wilson 1,2,3. Damn that guy looks dressed but even better naked.

The only country song I could find him singing on Youtube was Dolly Parton's 'The Grass is Blue'

I'm actually kind of surprised at this. Wasn't he in the short-lived (ok, it was a flop) off-Broadway musical Lucky Guy, about a Nashville country singer? And although I didn't watch any of them, I know that some enterprising folks have vids up on YouTube.

Unlike with Kevin, we can at least find out some more things about him, and the writers haven't really given him much opportunity to do much more than exude what appears to be his RL personality. I can sort of imagine Kevin Bicks making an It Gets Better video that would be extremely similar to KDM's,

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin had made a It Gets Better video, although as a songwriter, it's hard to imagine that anyone in the general public would know who he is (although I guess you could say the same thing about Broadway actors too?). On the other hand, Kevin is nice and all, but he's nowhere near as adorable as the guy in that video.

You're more obsessed than I am! I didn't look at every single itty-bitty guest appeareance. I also didn't count the times he's appeared in online things credited as "himself" as playing gay, because that gets entirely too confusing.

I had actually seen him in that Good Wife episode years ago, but didn't know who he was at the time. I remember thinking that the casting director had probably picked the most square-jawed and traditionally good-looking guy who auditioned just to go against the gay stereotype.

His High Maintenance guest stint was pretty funny to me because that was probably the closest he came to playing himself without actually playing himself.

Also, does anyone else find it ironic that a guy with a natural southern accent isn't using it on Nashville of all shows?

I was watching some old season six episodes of Seinfeld the other day, and noticed that the actress playing Jerry's girlfriend (in The Doodle) looked a lot like the actress who plays Deacon's sister.  I had to go to IMDB to confirm it.  Yep, that was her alright.   She was the one that was spitting out pecans from her dessert, and Jerry ate one not realizing where it had been.  She didn't have all that much to do other than get mad at Jerry for being grossed out about the pecan.  Christa Miller was in the same episode, as George's girlfriend, with a more substantial part.

(edited)

I'm actually kind of surprised at this. Wasn't he in the short-lived (ok, it was a flop) off-Broadway musical Lucky Guy, about a Nashville country singer? And although I didn't watch any of them, I know that some enterprising folks have vids up on YouTube.

As I said before (in another thread), I have a very low tolerance for musical theater (including opera), and I didn't do much more research than putting his name in the Youtube search box. I did try to look at a few of the many Broadway/off-Broadway clips of him that are on there, but I gave up after a brief sampling in each case. It made me remember just how allergic I am to the genre. I don't mind some of the songs in and of themselves, though. As long as they're being sung by someone wearing normal clothes, with just a pianist, or a small backing group, or themselves strumming along on the guitar. I'm a musical luddite, and a part of me still wishes electrical amplicification had never been invented. I tend to like music, across genres, that could hypothetically be performed in my living room, during a power cut.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin had made a It Gets Better video, although as a songwriter, it's hard to imagine that anyone in the general public would know who he is (although I guess you could say the same thing about Broadway actors too?). On the other hand, Kevin is nice and all, but he's nowhere near as adorable as the guy in that video.

That's what I meant by fleshing out Kevin a bit more in our minds, if we're so inclined. The only thing we've been shown has been him having to deal with Will's severe case of closet paranoia, and trying to get through to the scared person hiding inside that reinforced concrete closet he's built for himself. But there must be a fun, relaxed, adorable side to Kevin as well, which we haven't seen. Nobody would fall this hard for a guy who's only the Kevin we've seen on screen, the way Will does. After their first kiss, the next time we see them together they're supposed to have spent four days together, mostly in bed. But there must have been conversation going on in between, as well (I hope), and the occasional joke, or funny story.

As to those It Gets Better videos, I was only vaguely aware of them before, and KDM's is the only one I watched all the way through. My impression was that the point of them was, sort of, to show people who do have real-life accomplishments they can point to, without being unattainably famous. The vast majority of Broadway actors certainly don't count as celebrities outside that particular field of niche fandom (although one that seems to make up in enthusiasm for what it lacks in size, from my limited recent exposure to it, having first seen it when looking into KDM, and one other Broadway actor with a very limited TV career so far.) But I suppose the same thing could be said about most people in country music. I know I couldn't make one. Not only am I not famous in any way shape or form, and have no significant real-life accomplishments, I also was never bullied, and I find this kind of thing somewhat fascinating to look at as an outsider. The experience of growing up KDM describes is completely alien to me. To bring it back to Nashville, though, what he describes, the way he had to constantly think about being gay as a teenager, is probably the stage where Will has been at for the past three seasons. I hope the writers realize that they're going to have to give us a new, improved, relaxed Will, who no longer needs to obsess about something stupid. They did a pretty good job with the awkward, delayed-adolescent Will, fumbling to do something as simple as ask out someone he likes, for the first time in his life, something most people have gone through in their teens.

I had actually seen him in that Good Wife episode years ago, but didn't know who he was at the time. I remember thinking that the casting director had probably picked the most square-jawed and traditionally good-looking guy who auditioned just to go against the gay stereotype.

Now you've had me going to look at that episode, of a show I'd never heard of before. It's a good reminder of how ephemeral TV is, since the plot revolves around an absurd legal situation which only existed for a limited time, and that the Supreme Court has since then pretty much resolved: that people in the US could be married in the eyes of some states, but not in the eyes of the federal government - despite the federal administration at the time thinking they really should be. (Also, an excellent use of the hilarious phrase "live-in boyfriend", last spotted in the wild in 1987, I think. Along with "gal pal".)

It's sad that I can completely understand why you would think that they might have been casting to go against a gay stereotype. But on the other hand, more hopefully, they could just as well have thought: "we're casting an inconsequential, blink-and-you've-missed-him character here, every one of the guys auditioning would do just as well, we might as well go for maximum eye candy". Or even: "since the character is gay, we might as well go with the gay guy". If they knew that - I don't think being gay is normally listed in the Special Skills section of an actor's resume.

His High Maintenance guest stint was pretty funny to me because that was probably the closest he came to playing himself without actually playing himself.

Damn you! Now you'll have me watching High Maintenance as well! Just when I was trying to wean myself from watching too much TV. (All five seasons have already been downloaded as I type this.)

Also, does anyone else find it ironic that a guy with a natural southern accent isn't using it on Nashville of all shows?

Kevin is supposed to be from Florida. I'm not sure what accent is supposed to go with that. KDM certainly sounds very nice when he's talking as himself. But then, English is my third language, and accents often baffle me. I know from personal experience that Americans who don't know where I'm from tend to think I'm British, and so did at least one bunch of Irish blokes (they were an entire rugby team I picked up on the street - don't ask, and they thought I was English, not generically British), whereas Brits notice I must be some kind of funny Johnny Foreigner, but they can't quite place what kind of funny.

Edited by SailingBy

I only now just happened to see this post from six months back, but I couldn't resist replying:

I had the misfortune to endure part of Kevin Costner's hideous egofest of a flick "The Postman" the other day and was bemused to see a younger Chip in it as well, just acting his young heart out.
It made me giggle a bit, not only because it made me remember how shitty most of Kevin Costner's self-directed flicks were, <snip>

Someone who worked for Warner Bros., who produced the thing (she worked for the comics division, not the movie one, but they shared the same NYC office building and thus the same grapevine), told me that at the time that turkey was in production, it was referred to within the company as Dances With Stamps.

Now for the thing I wanted to reply to:

I've now had the time to watch it, and it is very funny indeed. I don't think anyone has ever used the word "Grindr" as a term of apology before. It also introduced me to the word "queebo". Yes, the internet tells me it's an actual word.

• Love 1

Damn you! Now you'll have me watching High Maintenance as well! Just when I was trying to wean myself from watching too much TV. (All five seasons have already been downloaded as I type this.)

Haha, I wouldn't have recommended seeing the whole thing just for him, but it is a pretty funny show. I had already seen a few episodes of it before, but not specifically the one he's in.

Kevin is supposed to be from Florida. I'm not sure what accent is supposed to go with that. KDM certainly sounds very nice when he's talking as himself. But then, English is my third language, and accents often baffle me. I know from personal experience that Americans who don't know where I'm from tend to think I'm British, and so did at least one bunch of Irish blokes (they were an entire rugby team I picked up on the street - don't ask, and they thought I was English, not generically British), whereas Brits notice I must be some kind of funny Johnny Foreigner, but they can't quite place what kind of funny.

I knew a Belgian once who spoke English with a British accent because he watched a lot of British tv.

I'm from Canada so I'm not really an expert here, but my understanding is that Floridians don't have any particular accent. Kevin doesn't have any noticeable accent at all, while KDM has a light Southern accent. If you watch some of his older videos, however, you might notice that his accent used to be a lot stronger.

But on the other hand, more hopefully, they could just as well have thought: "we're casting an inconsequential, blink-and-you've-missed-him character here, every one of the guys auditioning would do just as well, we might as well go for maximum eye candy". Or even: "since the character is gay, we might as well go with the gay guy". If they knew that - I don't think being gay is normally listed in the Special Skills section of an actor's resume.

I think the part was supposed to be kind of a trophy husband to the other guy, so maximum eye candy definitely fits. I don't think his real life sexuality factored in, other than it wouldn't be a barrier to his getting the part the way it would be for other roles.

(edited)

Haha, I wouldn't have recommended seeing the whole thing just for him, but it is a pretty funny show. I had already seen a few episodes of it before, but not specifically the one he's in.

It is funny. It's also a good reminder of how something online doesn't need to be strapped into the iron maiden of the half-hour, or full-hour, TV show format. Or the need to work up to that other terrible torture device, the "season finale".

I knew a Belgian once who spoke English with a British accent because he watched a lot of British tv.

One of the advantages of growing up in the Low Countries (and I think the same situation applies in Scandinavia) is that you get a lot of English-language TV, but with subtitles. In bigger language markets, they tend to go for dubbing. When you're at that blessed age where you can still soak up languages like a sponge, that means you'll inevitably end up knowing at least some English. I learnt French (formally my second language), and German (formally my fourth) much the same way. In my case, the fact that my parents used English when they talked about things they didn't want us kids to understand was an added impetus. When I was young, the English that was taught in Belgian schools was very definitely British, including what was still called "RP", for "received pronunciation". An American accent, although omipresent on TV and in movies, was considered rather vulgar. I don't know if that's still the case. (By the time I got to university, they'd just introduced a box you could tick for "American English", but I can't recall anyone ever doing so.).

ETA: I said "Belgian schools", but that's a gross generalization. The Dutch, French, and German-speaking "communities" (to use the constitutional term) have separate educational systems. I honestly don't know what kind of English is taught in the French and German ones. But there's more of us than there's of both of them combined, so there!

I'm from Canada so I'm not really an expert here, but my understanding is that Floridians don't have any particular accent. Kevin doesn't have any noticeable accent at all, while KDM has a light Southern accent. If you watch some of his older videos, however, you might notice that his accent used to be a lot stronger.

He mentions in an interview that for some reason, the first time anyone made an issue of his Arkansas accent was when he started getting notes from the producers when he began starring in Pippin. Which is weird on a multitude of levels, not the least of which that the supposed basis for the Pippin character, Pippin the Hunchback (c. 767 – 811 CE), never spoke a word of English, the language not having been invented yet. And that the Pippin character isn't even Pippin, but an unnamed guy who could be from anywhere playing Pippin on stage. But then, Americans are weird about this stuff. I remember from a long time ago one reviewer commenting that the god-awful Tom Cruise vehicle Valkyrie lacked realism, because Tom Cruise didn't speak with a German accent. That this historical drama only had German characters, who all would have been speaking perfect standard, upper-class, educated German without any hint of a foreign accent to it, didn't seem to have occurred to them. No, to be realistic, German officers in 1944 have to speak English among themselves, with the standard "Vee Vill Shoot You" accent. That nothing else in that movie was historically accurate (except probably the uniforms), didn't matter.

Edited by SailingBy
  • Love 1

When I was young, the English that was taught in Belgian schools was very definitely British, including what was still called "RP", for "received pronunciation". An American accent, although omipresent on TV and in movies, was considered rather vulgar. I don't know if that's still the case. (By the time I got to university, they'd just introduced a box you could tick for "American English", but I can't recall anyone ever doing so.).

I know that's how it was here in The Netherlands when I was young. But it has changed. I worked at a school where they had an English teacher from somewhere in the north of England. One of the other teachers mentioned that some years earlier that teacher would not have been hired to teach English because of his strong northern accent. And I think American English is also accepted now.

I know that's how it was here in The Netherlands when I was young. But it has changed. I worked at a school where they had an English teacher from somewhere in the north of England. One of the other teachers mentioned that some years earlier that teacher would not have been hired to teach English because of his strong northern accent. And I think American English is also accepted now.

Since it's the quiet season on these forums now, I thought I might as well add something, especially since there's so much accent spoofing going on in this show, with both non-American actors doing American accents, and American actors talking in ways they don't in real life. It's nice to see confirmation that the situation in The Netherlands, as in a lot of other matters, is pretty similar to that in Belgium, that's why I used the term "the Low Countries". And generally, the acceptance of accents other than standard, southern, RP English has markedly changed over the past several decades, including in Britain. What often was referred to as "BBC English" isn't what it used to be, even on the BBC.

The British side of my family somehow ended up in Yorkshire, so very definitely northern. It was always funny that I, not being British at all, sounded like a southern toff to them. But I also have some family in Herefordshire, which is the Midlands but right next to Wales. I have no idea whether a Welsh accent bleeds over into there, or whether Offa's Dyke coincides with an accent barrier, but I've often idly thought it would be fun to affect a Welsh accent. After all, the advantage of coming at a language as a complete outsider is that you can try to use any old accent you like, without anybody accusing you of betraying your roots.

What I really wanted to post though was something explaining where the whole notion of "received pronunciation" came from. In my schooldays, the bible for speaking English properly was considered to be the Everyman's Library English Pronouncing Dictionary. It is still on my deskside shelf, and still comes in useful once in a while, for pesky family names or placenames that are written completely differently from how they're pronounced. Its introduction explains what it is based on:

In the first edition of this Dictionary (1917), Daniel Jones described the type of pronunciation recorded as 'that most usually heard in everyday speech in the families of Southern English persons whose menfolk have been educated at the great public boarding-schools'. Accordingly, he felt able to refer to his model as 'Public School Pronunciation' (PSP). In later editions (...) he added the remark that boys in boarding-schools tend to lose their markedly local peculiarities, whereas this is not the case for day-schools. He had by 1926, however, abandoned the term PSP in favour of 'received pronunciation' (RP). The type of speech he had in mind had for centuries been regarded as a kind of standard, having its base in the educated pronunciation of London and the Home Counties. Its use was not restricted to this region, however, being characteristic by the nineteenth century of upper-class speech throughout the country. Thus, though its base was a regional one, its occurrence was socially determined.

The author of this 1977 introduction also goes on to say:

A specification in terms of a public boarding-school education is no longer valid, if only because the young are often influenced nowadays by other prestigious accents, e.g. Cockney or Mid-Atlantic, whatever their educational background.

I think what he calls 'Cockney' would nowadays probably be referred to as 'estuary English' (as in the Thames estuary). And a lot of people who have English as a second language in Europe certainly end up with a version of that Mid-Atlantic accent, which doesn't have a place it came from.

I'm watching an old movie (2001) on Hallmark Channel and Eric Close is married to Kimberly Williams. They had a special needs daughter and he left her. He was such a stinker in this movie!!

• Love 1

Follow the Stars Home. He does a good job playing a very weak character. It's a good book and movie.

Eric was also on Suits again last week as an opposing lawyer. I hope he lands someplace after Nashville. He does get stuck with some thankless characters.

Edited by Crs97

A tidbit for this quiet period, although I'm not quite sure it qualifies as an "other role", since he was being himself, but: Kyle Dean Massey delivered the keynote speech at something called the "New Student Convocation" (the official start of the 2015-2016 academic year, apparently) at his alma mater, Missouri State University.

https://youtu.be/DHN80pay1Uw