Type keyword(s) to search

Skincare and Suncare

Athena
  • Start Topic

I use the L'Oreal Ombrelle as well as a cheap body sunblock. They reformulated it a couple of years ago and it's now less greasy. I'm surprised that they don't sell it in the USA as it is widely sold in Canada.

Ombrelle was (in the US) my favorite and most successful sunblock ever. If memory serves (it's been a long time) the reason it's no longer available in the States is that Loreal Paris acquired the company that made Ombrelle, found it competed (too well, apparently) with Loreal's existing and sustandard sun products and disontinued the US market. This was pre-Web days. Those of you who still use it, do you have any rec's on specific Omb products?

Those of you who still use it, do you have any rec's on specific Omb products?

I use the Ombrelle Complete SPF60. I use it on my body whenever I am out including outdoor activities such as running. I don't know how it would be for my face though. Ombrelle has a "Light Advanced" line which is allegedly lighter, but I feel the normal Complete line has a light enough feel if you apply it well. I am considering trying the Sport as well. Ombrelle also makes a 100% mineral/physical sunscreen for Kids. Hope this helps.

• Love 1

I use the Ombrelle Complete SPF60. I use it on my body whenever I am out including outdoor activities such as running. I don't know how it would be for my face though. Ombrelle has a "Light Advanced" line which is allegedly lighter, but I feel the normal Complete line has a light enough feel if you apply it well. I am considering trying the Sport as well. Ombrelle also makes a 100% mineral/physical sunscreen for Kids. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I may be up in Canada later this summer and will check it out.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ok guys.  So broke down (because I am Sephora's bitch!) and got Sephora's new Sun Safety kit (http://www.sephora.com/sun-safety-kit-P396622?skuId=1702067).  Anyway, I'm very awful at using a face sunscreen.  They tend to be too oily for my already oil-prone skin, so I'd rather go without than use them, even though I know that's bad to do.  I thought this would be a good way to try a bunch of different high quality brands without committing to a full sized product before knowing if I liked it or not.  I will report back on how well they work.  

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 3

The one I tried yesterday was Korres Suncare Yoghurt Nourishing Fluid Veil Face Sunscreen, Broad Spectrum SPF 30.  It was very light, spread over my face easily and absorbed rather quickly.  When it first went on, it felt a bit oily.  Not too much, but enough to be concerned; however, within 10 minutes, I couldn't even tell it was on my face.  That lasted the entire day, even with my 5-10 minute walk to my car in the afternoon.  I had no random oil slicks and my face felt really nice all day.  I really liked it and will definitely use again.

I use Abeille Royale Day Cream ( Normal To Combination Skin ). Its really amazing cream.. It protects my skin from sunlight, pollution, etc. It moisturizes my skin properly.. It contains vitamin C, aloe vera etc. It is made up of natural ingredients that really suits to my skin and gives instant glow and it lasts for 8-9 hours a day.. Its really awesome. My skin looks fresh, glowing whole day.

(edited)

Neutrogena SPF 55 is my go to sunscreen. It's light and doesn't cause my skin to break out. My dermatologist said you're waiting your time with anything less than 30spf.

Edited by Dirtybubble

I generally try to buy sunscreen with no active ingredients other than titanium dioxide and zinc oxide now, but that's since my son was born. He has very sensitive skin, and the dermatologist told us not to buy sunscreen with other active ingredients. We had to take him to the dermatologist when he was 1 because his eczema was so bad. We'd tried all the home remedies recommended by everyone we knew, and nothing worked until we got stuff from the dermatologist. A lot of people tried to tell us that taking him off dairy would help because his eczema showed he was allergic to dairy -- except he's not.

Just as a personal note regarding eczema & dairy, I have a family member who has eczema & can only have raw dairy. She can drink raw milk & eat raw cheese, etc. but when she has conventional dairy her eczema reoccurs within hours. She also is very careful about anything she puts on her skin & generally only uses products with very limited ingredients & sometimes even makes her own things just to be safe.

My niece had eczema pretty bad.  They always used aloe on it and it helped.  It didn't cure things, but it made things more manageable.

They live in Florida so always had access to aloe plants and used it fresh. 

We've always had an aloe plant(s) around and use them for all sorts of skin issues.  Cuts, burns (including sun burn), general irritation, ...I use it on my face a few times a week.  It is a bit gooey feeling going on, but it dries quickly and I don't notice a residue,

I wish I could find a skin moisturizer product that has collagen elastin in it but doesn't have a fragrance.  St. Ives has a great product for this (it really smooths out underarms if you know what I mean) but unfortunately it has a cloyingly OTT sweet fragrance.  Does anyone know of a product like this but w/o fragrance?

I have no idea where to stick this, so I'll put it here! Has anyone ever used one of those at home hair removal devices like No, No? I'm so sick of waxing and shaving, but I'm not yet willing to shell out the thousands to do laser hair removal at a dermatologist's office. I was wondering if anyone had success with an at home product?

Not familiar with No No myself, but the Consumer Reports piece on it was not very good either.

I tried one of those hair removal device years ago - I don't remember the name but it had small round coil heads that whirled around and pulled the hair out.  It hurt a lot more than they said, took a long time to do and wasn't very effective.  After that I gave waxing my legs a try just once (it may not have been a representative experience because the girl and I were chit chatting and discovered I knew/went to school with her husband.  She immediately started asking if we had dated and if I knew other girls he had dated...and not in a friendly way).

• Love 1

Epilady. My adviser in college got one for Christmas one year. She had asked for it, but used it once and told us it hurt like hell.

I started using Nair last summer because I always nick myself when I shave, and also shaving irritates my pubic area. Unfortunately, so does Nair. I think maybe there isn't anything that doesn't. I hate the smell of Nair, but my legs feel better than they do if I shave.

• Love 1

I alternate between device that is like multiple tweezers working at once, cold wax strips and waxing at a salon (because on my own I always miss spots), and use the razor as a last resort when I'm really in a hurry. Hair removal devices and cold wax are useful to maintain things and help space visits to the waxing place, but I still do need the latter because as said there's always some spot I miss (same goes with self hair colour - I do it in a pitch but always find a stray grey hair afterwards!).   

Due to some new meds making my sleep habits irregular, I got sucked into watching some of the Meaningful Beauty informercial last night and tempted to try some.  Has anyone given this stuff a shot? 

I've heard that No No smells like burning hair.

Me too. I think that's because that's what it does, burns the hair off. I have no idea how they can keep claiming it's permanent hair removal.

Due to some new meds making my sleep habits irregular, I got sucked into watching some of the Meaningful Beauty informercial last night and tempted to try some.  Has anyone given this stuff a shot? 

The product and the company do not have good reviews. It also ranks #18 on list of worst anti-aging products.  The company also has numerous complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau; so if you want to try the product you're better off purchasing at Ulta or from Amazon.

This article lists the five 'best' anti-aging ingredients.   I think it odd that sunscreen is number three, I would think it would be number one; personally I never, ever leave the house without sunscreen.  I may not have any makeup on my face, but I always wear sunscreen (and apply it to my neck, décolletage, and hands).

WebMD also suggests a list of anti=aging ingredients in this article.

The most important thing is to find something that works for your skin type; what works for someone with combination skin may not work for a person with dry skin.  

• Love 2

Thank you.  I figured it works a lot better if you start out looking like Cindy Crawford...

And thank you for the links to the articles on anti-aging products.  It rarely occurs to me that there is a wealth of information out there if I just look.

• Love 1

Thank you.  I figured it works a lot better if you start out looking like Cindy Crawford...

And thank you for the links to the articles on anti-aging products.  It rarely occurs to me that there is a wealth of information out there if I just look.

You're very welcome.

I have extremely sensitive skin and have experienced some pretty nasty reactions to skin products and cosmetics so I always research the product before trying it.  I’ve learned what ingredients work for me and search out products with those ingredients.  For me, Vitamin C and Copper based products work really well; I have to be extremely careful with alpha hydroxy; and retinol is a non-starter (burns my skin like crazy).

Isn't Retinol supposed to be used at night only because it does NOT work well with light? 

I've heard/read mixed messages regarding the use of Retinol and sun/light exposure; with recent studies claiming that Retinol does not increase the likelihood of sunburns.  However, the best and most effective use of Retinol continues to be as part of a night time regiment.

Retinol does break down when exposed to light and air which is why you should always purchase it in opaque packaging.   The fact that Retinol breaks down in light and air is one reason why it is recommended that you apply only at night.  It is also why you should never use “day” products (primers, foundations, cosmetics, sunscreens, creams/lotions) containing Retinol; the exposure to the air and light will cause the Retinol to break down leaving the skin exposed to sun/environmental damage.  You’re much better off with a good SFP and day cream.

I also read that cleansers containing Retinol are ineffective and basically a waste of money since the Retinol goes down the drain and not on your skin.

Regardless, even the mildest Retinol irritates my skin.

For me, my best beauty product is a strong SFP (never leave the house without SFP on my face, neck, and back of the hands) and a good quality cream.  I exfoliate on a regular basis and cleanse morning and night, always removing my make-up before bed regardless of how late it is and how tired I am.

Oh, and water, lots and lots of water.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 1

Anyone have a good makeup primer recommendation? I've been using Garnier's 5 Second Blur for a while now and it's okay, but not great. I use Bare Escentual's mineral makeup and I feel like Blur doesn't do a ton to help the powder from settling into my large-ish pores.

Anyone have a good makeup primer recommendation? I've been using Garnier's 5 Second Blur for a while now and it's okay, but not great. I use Bare Escentual's mineral makeup and I feel like Blur doesn't do a ton to help the powder from settling into my large-ish pores.

I'm a fan of the Smashbox photo finish primers.  Sephora usually has several of the variations available in small/travel sizes in the area where you wait in line, so you can try before committing to the regular size.  Since you only need a little bit of it, the travel size lasts a really long time.  I've also used the Too-Faced primers, which are also pretty nice, but I prefer using the Too-Faced eyeshadow and lip primers, and using Smashbox primer for my face. 

• Love 1

I've been using Kiehl's Microblur as a primer recently and like it. I also like Benefit's Pore Professional.

• Love 1

Hourglass

• Love 2

Any good foundation recommendations? I've been using Bare Minerals for years but I saw a picture of myself today and it's not as even as I'd like. I have fairly oily skin with large-ish pores so I've always gravitated towards powder for those reasons (and it's so fast to apply). I need something that's more even, not too heavy and is good for sensitive skin.

Any good foundation recommendations? I've been using Bare Minerals for years but I saw a picture of myself today and it's not as even as I'd like. I have fairly oily skin with large-ish pores so I've always gravitated towards powder for those reasons (and it's so fast to apply). I need something that's more even, not too heavy and is good for sensitive skin.

I've been wearing Tarte Amazonian 12-hour full coverage foundation for the past several months and like it. Good coverage but not too heavy or greasy, even with my large pores and T-zone oiliness. I also use Kiehl's Microblur as a primer which I think helps with minimizing the pores.

I'm also trying Urban Decay's Naked Skin Ultra Definition liquid foundation but am not really impressed by the coverage. I need a bit more to even out my blotchiness.

• Love 1

Estée Lauder Doublewear is good. Wore it for several years, til the formula changed. There is a light version. Doublewear is the working girl's foundation. Lasts all day summer and winter.

I alternate between Lauder Perfectionist, Armani Luminous Silk and Maestro.

Lancome's new cushion one is decent and if you have the money, Guerlain Parure Gold.

• Love 1

Has anyone here ever done fillers? I've always had hollows under my eyes and over the past two years I've gotten small bags that just won't go away, so I'm asking my dermatologist about fillers. I get sick of people asking me if I'm tired or gotten enough sleep. I feel great, I just look tired!

Has anyone here ever done fillers? I've always had hollows under my eyes and over the past two years I've gotten small bags that just won't go away, so I'm asking my dermatologist about fillers. I get sick of people asking me if I'm tired or gotten enough sleep. I feel great, I just look tired!

I've had Restylane done for under-eye hollows. It makes a huge difference. They now put lidocaine in the syringe so it doesn't hurt as badly as it used to. You'll feel a little sting and some minor discomfort, but it's bearable. Cost is usually around $500 and it lasts a little under a year.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

Bitter Apple, thanks for the feedback! I actually had an appointment with my derm last week and I'm doing it. She thinks it will make a world of difference (she actually does her own eyes and she looks amazing, but still natural); I'm having it done on Feb. 11th.

• Love 1

Bitter Apple, thanks for the feedback! I actually had an appointment with my derm last week and I'm doing it. She thinks it will make a world of difference (she actually does her own eyes and she looks amazing, but still natural); I'm having it done on Feb. 11th.

That's awesome, let us know how you make out!

• Love 1

Emma675, I am interested to know how your Restylane turned out and if you're pleased. I am thinking about having a small trench in between my eyebrows filled. Also, do you mind sharing how much it cost? I think that in my area, aesthetics clinics do it cheaper than dermatologists.

Spunkygal, I am pleased with it. My dermatologist is board certified and teaches at a medical school here, so she knows what she's doing. She underfills and then has you wait a month to see if you need to do a touch up--she says this is the way to go to avoid overfilling and looking weird. I think I may need a smidge more under my right eye, which had a bigger hollow and bag than my left. I would definitely recommend going with a dermatologist--it's right there on your face and you don't want that area screwed up! 

• Love 1

Like a previous poster, I love It Cosmetics, which I bought at Ulta. They also run infomercials that have better deals.

It Cosmetics are perfect for rosacea and reddened skin. It's also a physical, not chemical, sunscreen. So there's a good reason to wear It even if you don't feel like being "made up" and look presentable instead of like a monster, lol.

Their powder is also amazing.

• Love 1

I love IT Cosmetics. QVC is offering a super size of their Full Coverage CC Cream through the end of March. I'm obsessed with that stuff and I love her lip stains as well.

Edited by BitterApple
On 2016-10-24 at 10:11 AM, Misslindsey said:

Has anyone tried Deciem's The Ordinary products? I was just curious because I have similar versions of some of their products from other more expensive brands and was wondering how they stack up.

Yes, I ordered Niacinamide 10%, Alpha Arbutin 2%, 100% Rosehip Seed Oil, and the Vitamin C 23% (the new one in the tube form). The only one that I am currently using and testing is the Rosehip seed oil. I've never used it before and this smells or looks like the testers I've found in stores. I can't compare the quality but the price is more than half of what is available locally.

The Vitamin C will be used after I finish my Indeed Labs C24 which is a similar anhydrous formulation but without the silicones. The founder of Deciem also founded Indeed Labs before he moved on. I've heard mixed reviews about the texture of the Vitamin C.

I'm hoping to introduce the Niacinamide and the Arbutin in the next couple of months. I use CeraVe which has Niacinamide, but I am afraid that such a high concentration may be too much for my dry skin. The Ordinary Niacinamide apparently is more for sebum control which I don't need. I'm looking forward to the Abrutin as I have pigmentation, acne scars and dark spots to tackle.

Reviews are only starting to show up as the products were released late August. They only recently added $25 minimum payment for free shipping, but it's ridiculous how low the prices of the products are. There are a couple of other serums to come that I want to try out as well and they will have an affordable Argan oil.

• Love 2

Does anyone have a night cream and/or serum they would recommend?  I decided that now that I am in my early forties I need to step-up my skin care regime.  I typically use Clinique's 3-step system, but when I started to use their serum and night cream I broke out and I typically do not get breakouts.  As a little background - have fair skin (but tan easily and my pores are on the larger side so they do get clogged.  I live in NYC, so my skin tends to be dry in the winter (love that radiator heat) and oily in the summer.  I don't really have many wrinkles.  People usually tell me I look young for my age (yay me!), but I attribute most of that to not having to worry about kids.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, smeds said:

Does anyone have a night cream and/or serum they would recommend?  I decided that now that I am in my early forties I need to step-up my skin care regime.  I typically use Clinique's 3-step system, but when I started to use their serum and night cream I broke out and I typically do not get breakouts.  As a little background - have fair skin (but tan easily and my pores are on the larger side so they do get clogged.  I live in NYC, so my skin tends to be dry in the winter (love that radiator heat) and oily in the summer.  I don't really have many wrinkles.  People usually tell me I look young for my age (yay me!), but I attribute most of that to not having to worry about kids.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

Do you want your skin to be more moisturised, hydrated, brighter...?

I think one product that most people can benefit from is a Vitamin C serum. Many are pH dependent, but you can find some more stable, anhydrous ones such as The Ordinary. I've read good reviews of the Drunk Elephant one but it's on the higher end of the price points. You can use Vitamin C at night or in the day as it is not photosensitive.

If you don't have a sunscreen, I would recommend a daily one since that's also a great anti-ageing all around product. It's great that you have few wrinkles but it'll help with your tanning and hyperpigmentation.

If you have a good moisturiser already, I'd use it and then layer an occlusive like vaseline (if you can use it) overnight during winter. This really does help prevent epidermal water loss and keeps your skin moistured at night.

• Love 2

I've been using the Ole Henriksen Invigorating Night Treatment and Invigorating Night Creme for a few months and really like them (I use the Ole HenriksenTruth Serum® Vitamin C Anti-Aging Collagen Booster and Truth Revealed™ Vitamin C Super Crème SPF 15 during the day). I also use Dr Dennis Gross Alpa Beta Daily Peel several times a week which has really improved the texture and tone. 

• Love 1