Type keyword(s) to search

Skincare and Suncare

Athena
  • Start Topic

What are your favourite tips and products for your skin? Do you have combo, normal, dry, or oily skin? How do you deal with it?

Do you have any DIY recipes or use natural products for your skin?

Furthermore, SPF. Do you use it? Chemical or Physical?

I used a moisturizer with SPF once and I broke out so badly. I find that for me, a mixture of low-end and mid-range products works. I presume the high end products would work if I could afford them. My moisturizer is mid-range (Ren clearcalm replenishing gel cream) and my cleanser is lower-end, but I swear by it (Biore Charcoal Deep Pore Cleanser). I really like Burt's Bees, too. Their dark spot corrector works really, really well and is massively cheaper than Clinique's. On the higher end range of things, I've also fallen in love with the alpha beta peel from Dr. Gross. It does a good job exfoliating without using any grit, which seems to clog up my skin.

Edit: OH MY GOD AUTOCORRECT HATES ME.

Edited by BabyVegas

I've also fallen in love with the alpha beta pee from Dr. Gross

Please tell me there is a missing letter there?? :)

I like rose hip seed oil for my face. It's super affordable especially from the drugstore/pharmacy. You only use a little and it helps your skin glow.

I haven't found anything that works for my under-eye puffy/fatigue/dark circles (I think the circles are hereditary though).

I've been making my own vitamin C serum. It's costs much less than store versions and I make a new little batch weekly so I know it's fresh and as quickly as vitamin C oxidizes that's a plus. I use it on my face, neck, décolleté and, when I remember, the backs of my hands.

• Love 2

I also use to make my own vitamin C serum, but this year, I got lazy. You have to do it weekly. I didn't see a vast improvement, but it is rather nice.

I am big on moisturizers. I have used straight jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, pure shea butter, aloe vera, coconut oil, and a couple of others. These days, I am using the sweet almond oil and coconut oil for my face at night. I have normal skin that gets a bit dry because of Canadian winters.

For the day, I am using Olay Regenerist Superstructure SPF25. I haven't had any issue with Olay and it's affordable.

Suncare: In addition to the daily moisturizer, I will also use another sunscreen in the summer and depending on what I do in the winter (mostly running). I've been wearing SPF daily since I was a teenager. I have tried most drugstore brands and some French brands. I like La Roche Posay. For my face these days, I prefer Asian sunscreens because they are less oily, more matte, and absorbs into the skin. The Shiseido one is decent, but my current favourite is the Korean Hera Sunmate line. I use their LePorts SPF50. I have to order that online, but it doesn't sting or feel sticky at all.

II've been wearing SPF daily since I was a teenager. I have tried most drugstore brands and some French brands. I like La Roche Posay. For my face these days, I prefer Asian sunscreens because they are less oily, more matte, and absorbs into the skin. The Shiseido one is decent, but my current favourite is the Korean Hera Sunmate line. I use their LePorts SPF50. I have to order that online, but it doesn't sting or feel sticky at all.

Can I ask which of the La Roche Posay line you used and liked? Our doctor recommended that brand.

I just (last week) started using Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil Light as an experiment when I ran out of moisturizer. Some people swear by it as a miracle oil but to me it's only so-so and doesn't absorb too well, as opposed to other oils I've used in the past.

Can I ask which of the La Roche Posay line you used and liked? Our doctor recommended that brand.

I just (last week) started using Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil Light as an experiment when I ran out of moisturizer. Some people swear by it as a miracle oil but to me it's only so-so and doesn't absorb too well, as opposed to other oils I've used in the past.

I have used most of LRP's Antihelios line in the higher ranges, they go up to SPF60. They have lightweight and fluid versions for face and/or body. It's still not as matte as the Korean/Japanese ones, but it's my one of favourites from the Western chemical sunscreens. I also like their Antihelios-Dermo Kids (SPF45) too; I think it has less alcohol than the adult version. I don't recommend their spray though.

I have pure argan oil. I use it mainly for my eye area, but I always mix it with another oil such as sweet almond or jojoba oil. It needs another oil to help absorb in. I don't think I'll repurchase. If other people like argan oil, they should definitely shop around since the Josie Maran brand is way overpriced for what it is.

• Love 1

Thank you! I'll check out the Anthelios. I don't mind if it's matte so much as that it's lightweight and I don't feel like I'm covered in goo.

I do agree the Josie Maran is over-priced. Good news is that the vial will last a long time. My husband has two little dry spots on his face and this oil seems to help them, so I guess it's good for something...

• Love 1

As someone who is highly allergic to many cosmetic products I am thrilled when I find anything that works that doesn't cause my eyelashes to fall out, eyes to swell shut, or my skin to develop hives;  I prefer physical sunblock and I've had good success with Jamie Kern's It Cosmetics CC Cream; it contains a physical SPF 50 (and it's cruelty free  ~as noted by the pink bunny stamp).

I've been using pure argan oil as a moisturizer (great on face, body, cuticles, heels, elbows), in my bath, and as a hair treatment - I have good results and no ill side effects (if you buy make sure you purchase 100% pure and that it comes in a dark glass bottle).  I find that a little goes a long way and a bottle will last me quite a long time.

I never had that problem with her argan line.

You may want to try her milk version of the argan oil as it is lighter and more readily absorbed by the skin.  I suggest trying different brands (Poppy Austin makes a nice one that I like) - also try mixing a drop in your regular moisturizer.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 1

I have used most of LRP's Antihelios line in the higher ranges, they go up to SPF60. They have lightweight and fluid versions for face and/or body. It's still not as matte as the Korean/Japanese ones, but it's my one of favourites from the Western chemical sunscreens. I also like their Antihelios-Dermo Kids (SPF45) too; I think it has less alcohol than the adult version. I don't recommend their spray though.

I have pure argan oil. I use it mainly for my eye area, but I always mix it with another oil such as sweet almond or jojoba oil. It needs another oil to help absorb in. I don't think I'll repurchase. If other people like argan oil, they should definitely shop around since the Josie Maran brand is way overpriced for what it is.

I can recommend Anthelios too. I use Anthelios XL 50, which is apparently the lightest and least oily sunscreen in the line. (Anybody know there's also a Posthelios, for after-sun care? I didn't now until I got a free sample.) I have oily skin and I can't stand adding any more oil on the surface. Even with Anthelios, I still have to powder it down to get rid of the shine. I am going to try the Korean sunscreen, if it's more matte.

For cheap sunscreen to wear while doing yardwork, I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch 100. Despite the "dry" name it's still too greasy for me, and it makes my skin feel gummy. It will leave white powdery marks on your clothing, leather furniture and car upholstery if you lean your elbows on your knees or armrests. But the oiliness and marks don't matter for summer yardwork, when I'm dripping sweat within a few minutes anyway and wearing grubby clothes.

A better quality oily sunscreen is L'Oreal Ombrelle, though of course it's much more expensive than Neutrogena. I order my L'Oreal  sunscreens from a specialty salon in New York. I also buy them on eBay sometimes, since they aren't available in most U.S. stores. Just checked Amazon and they have some of the high protection Anthelios sunscreens with Mexoryl too. I had thought the U.S. government refused to allow sunscreens with Mexoryl to be sold here in any formulation higher than SPF 15. However, it's available in high strength from various Internet sites.

Just a word of caution: be careful what jewelry you wear when you're covered in sunscreen. Soft gems like pearls and turquoise might get stained. Wash the jewelry items gently with mild soap after wearing them on skin with sunscreen (or any other lotion).

• Love 3

I can recommend Anthelios too. I use Anthelios XL 50, which is apparently the lightest and least oily sunscreen in the line. (Anybody know there's also a Posthelios, for after-sun care? I didn't now until I got a free sample.) I have oily skin and I can't stand adding any more oil on the surface. Even with Anthelios, I still have to powder it down to get rid of the shine. I am going to try the Korean sunscreen, if it's more matte...

A better quality oily sunscreen is L'Oreal Ombrelle, though of course it's much more expensive than Neutrogena. I order my L'Oreal  sunscreens from a specialty salon in New York. I also buy them on eBay sometimes, since they aren't available in most U.S. stores. Just checked Amazon and they have some of the high protection Anthelios sunscreens with Mexoryl too. I had thought the U.S. government refused to allow sunscreens with Mexoryl to be sold here in any formulation higher than SPF 15. However, it's available in high strength from various Internet sites.

I got a sample of Posthelios too and it smells wonderful. It's a good moisturizer.

I use the L'Oreal Ombrelle as well as a cheap body sunblock. They reformulated it a couple of years ago and it's now less greasy. I'm surprised that they don't sell it in the USA as it is widely sold in Canada.

• Love 1

A tip I once read in Harper's Bazaar and have applied ever since: after 40, whatever you put on your face, put on your hands. And it's been worth it!

Agree 1,000%!  Never neglect your hands. They will show your age more than anything else.

I want to do whatever Joan Rivers did to her hands. Whenever I watched her do presentations on QVC, I was always amazed at how young her hands looked. No liver spots, dark veins or ropey tendons. I heard she had fat injections in the hands.

• Love 1

I use Glycolix Cleanser for cleaning off make-up and Glycolix ultra lite for night time moisturizer (sold at my dermatologist's and online). Also use LaRoche-Posay moisturizer (now available at CVS...used to get at the dr's office) and their thermal spring water to spray on top of mineral make-up (Colorscience).  I also have rosacea on my face (mild case) so I put Clinique's green stuff over my moisturizer and it makes the redness disappear before I apply make-up.

I have a Clarisonic that I only use every other day (seems pretty key otherwise it seems to cause more pimples than it prevents) and during the winter I use Cetaphil cleanser with it.  During the summer I have a little more leeway in what I can use without turning my face into the Sahara but I've actually found that plain old Dove (for sensitive skin, unscented) is the way to go for me.  After the seemingly thousands of dollars I've spent trying to figure out the right stuff for my skin, that was almost depressing to discover. 

Then I just switch around retinoids like a crazy person, searching for the right one.   

I always wear sunblock, essentially since it was invented I've been wearing sunblock. 

If anyone has any suggestions for a good matte sunblock in a moisturizer, I'd appreciate it.  I use Aveeno at present.  

Edited by stillshimpy

Well, I went temporarily insane after Cmas & bought this AmorePacific lux kit (Time Response Beauty Ritual Kit). It came with 2 cleansers (1 oil & 1 reg), an exfoliator, 2 toners, 2 serums, a moisturizers, an eye cream, and a set of Skin Renewal Ampoules (to be used at a special time, which for me is right before my trip to Palm Springs next month!)- the only full-size item is the uber-pricey moisturizer. I also got a free facial (deep cleansing tx really, with in-depth instructions on how to use the products) & a $250 gift card. So.... yes, I know, still crazy. Anyway, I'm on the fence about most of the products. I asked them online if there were certain products that I could get the most benefit from & they said no. AS  IF. They really do recommend that you use all of the products both am & pm (for the most part). I love & have purchased a full size of the exfoliator (Treatment Enzyme Peel). I *may* buy the moisturizer again next winter bc I have dry skin & it is DA BOMB, but I am hoping to find something else.

Then, bc I am an addict, I bought one of the Josie Maran trial sets from Sephora the other night. I'm hoping that I like her oil cleanser better, and also that I like some of the other argan oil tx bc I bought my mom a set too!! Good grief.

Edited by DrSparkles

I was never a frequent user of sunscreen and never cared about the type or SPF either. But it changed last year after I had a breast surgery. One has to be very careful about breasts after the surgery, so on the insistence of my doctor I started using sunscreen frequently. I realised that frequent use of sunscreen does create a lot of difference to you skin and now it is one of the most important thing in my vanity kit.
I use L'Oreal Ombrelle, it’s what my friend recommended to me and I never bothered to change it or try out anything else.

• Love 1

Then, bc I am an addict, I bought one of the Josie Maran trial sets from Sephora the other night. I'm hoping that I like her oil cleanser better, and also that I like some of the other argan oil tx bc I bought my mom a set too!! Good grief.

I love all the Josie Maran products, except for the cleanser.  I find it to be way too thick and it definitely leaves a film behind.  They may have a light version, as they have a light formula for the face oil.  The oil cleanser I really like is the one from Origins.  I'm really starting to enjoy the Josie Maran Argan Milk; I didn't at first, but then I realized I was using way too much.  Three drops really does go a long way and leaves my skin feeling fabulous all day.

Thank you luckyroll3! Let me ask you this, if I may :)  In the kit I bought, it looks like there are 3 possible oils that you can use either at once or separately. The milk oil, the 100% oil, & the creamy oil. My skin is normal/dry, drier now in the winter of course. Should I use the milk as sort of a serum (1st), followed by 100% (as a moisturizer), then creamy oil (kind of a primer)? And then maybe in the summer, instead of the 100%, try the light oil? Thanks!!

I think I recently bought the same kit!  My skin tends to run on the oiler side, so I only use one at a time.  I use the milk if my skin feels good, not too oil, not too dry.  I use the 100% when I use my Clarisonic face brush, especially with my Modern Friction, cause I know it will absorb in well and not leave me greasy.  I just recently tried the creamy oil on face last week and was surprised by how much I liked it.  I used that one at night, and my face was so dewey and lovely in the morning!

Question: Can you put moisterizing, anti-wrinkle and face-lift creams one after the other or do you have to alternate? I know you put specific before others, i.e. eye cream before face cream, but for the rest can we just layer off or just choose the topic of the day? And how about sunscreen - after face cream?

I know you can do sunscreen after moisturizer. And I believe you can do anti-wrinkle stuff before your moisturizer. I just always think about the stuff that needs to do actual work to my skin goes on first: facecare, moisturizer, sunscreen, primer.

And you have to let everything dry/absorb in between.

• Love 1

Does anyone have a recommendation for an eye cream to help with wrinkles? I just bought one from L'Occitane but thinking ahead if I don't like it.

I've used everything from drugstore brands to La Mer & I may just be over it, but I've decided all you need for eyes & face is goooooooood moisturizing. Right now I'm using CeraVe eye repair (recommended on Paula's) during the day & the creamy oil that came in the kit I mentioned above. I usually check Sephora & then makeupalley for reviews; the former are overly positive, the latter overly critical IMO :)

Back to my post above, I thimk that all 3 oils is too much even for my dry & wintertime skin. Today I tried the JM milk oil & then my Charlotte Tilbury magix cream & that worked fine.

Right now I'm using CeraVe eye repair (recommended on Paula's) during the day & the creamy oil that came in the kit I mentioned above.

I've been using the CeraVe eye repair (based on the dermatologist's recommendation of CeraVe cream for my son's sensitive skin when he had horrible eczema as an infant), and I don't know if it helps with wrinkles, but I think it's helped with puffiness and dark circles. I look less tired, even though I'm not getting any more sleep.

• Love 1

Okay you guys, here's something that has not only saved my lips from being terminally chapped, but also saved my wallet: CARMEX. Yup, regular old drugstore Carmex! The stuff in the squeeze tube is great for regular daily use, and the ointment works really well in extremely dry/cold conditions. (Indoor use, as it doesn't contain sunscreen... which may have been one of the things irritating my lips in the first place!) After years of trying more expensive stuff, I've gone from having to apply balm constantly, to only a few times per day. Hooray. :)

I have a soft spot for Benefit. Before Sephora, they were the only 'cool' makeup line I knew of. I got their cute little product mag in the mail & ordered stuff over the phone! HA! The early/mid 90s :) 

Wellllllll, I was in Palm Springs last week & be damned if I didn't buy more products!! http://www.thebodydeli.com

I bought the sensitive skin kit AND the masks kit! So far I am loving the products, esp the flax eye cream, vit C serum & rose cleanser. And my god, their lotions, etc. i have the jasmine tuberose & it is heaven!!

Awesome. I just bought the melon facial cleanser and gel. Looking forward to it arriving.

• Love 1

I've been using Rodan and Fields skincare since December and I'm pretty much addicted, even though it's more than I should be spending. I started it as a favor to an aquaintance (it's a multilevel marketing deal and she was starting up her business), thinking I probably wouldn't keep up with it, but my skin looks and feels so good! If you sign up with a "consultant" you probably will get the hard sell to join the team, but if you can firmly and politely dodge that, the stuff is well worth it. I looooove the Soothe treatment, the lip serum and the Redefine regimen. I'm poor but pretty! :)

@betweenyouandme Let me know what you think!

It arrived yesterday! I love the wash. And, I love the creme too- it's so bright orange it feels strange to put on my face, but it's very hydrating. Both smell good but no overwhelming smell at all. It came packaged really well, and they included a small sample of the Rose creme in a little pot. I'm happy!

• Love 1

Anybody have a recommendation for dealing with milia? I've had it forever, and I hate the way it looks, even though I have a fairly mild case (as compared to the people on Google images).

I've had it removed at the dermatologist before - once with a scalpel and once with an electric pen thing. It worked, but was expensive, messed up my face for days (I practically had to go into hiding for a week after the scalpel job), and they came back anyway. So I'm looking for a regimen that will help just keep it away to start with.

A quick internet search tells me that I've been going about it all wrong, because I've been covering them with foundation, scrubbing like crazy, and using a thick moisturizer to calm my skin's irritation from all the scrubbing. Basically the top three things to avoid.

So now I'm looking for a gentle twice-daily cleanser, an exfoliating moisturizer, and a retinol product. Cost counts, but it doesn't have to be drug store brands, either.

Background on me and my skin. I'm white, fairly pale, but I do tan (although I don't try to get a tan, IYKWIM). Other than the milia, I get a few blackheads on my cheeks, but no pimples other than an occasional outbreak under my jawline, which may be undiagnosed PCOS. My skin gets dry patches, but is also weirdly oily. Not like combination skin, but like I have dry patches with oil on top. And finally, while money isn't a huge concern, time kinda is. If it's not pretty simple to maintain, I probably won't keep up the routine. Just being honest!

Photo Fox, I like Philosophy's Purity cleanser, Microdelivery exfoliating wash (it's very gentle) and Help Me retinol cream. I've got the delightful combination of dry yet adult acne prone skin, and these products have helped without drying out my skin or causing breakouts. I've also recently started using FAB's ultra repair moisturizing cream for my extra dry winter skin and it's effective but not heavy.

I get both Philosophy & Fab at Sephora. I think FAB recently had a nice starter set @ Sephora that wasn't outrageous if you like to try things out.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1

Paula's Choice also has some good options. Plus, you can ask them what they recommend for your specific skin condition/problems and they'll email you back a list of products that might work. I had a patch of deep blemishes on one side of my chin for months that just would NOT GO AWAY and they recommended three products that solved the problem in weeks.

• Love 2

I've been using Dermatolgica for about 18 months now.  After a facial where they used the products, I bought an intro package with about 5 - 6 of the products.  After using them, I ended up sticking with 2 - a cleanser and an exfoliating scrub.  They are pricey, but in this case I have found that I use a smaller amount than I would than with other similar products I've used before so I am probably paying about the same amount over the course of a year.  Plus the packaging is conducive to getting the product out - I hate when I buy something and you get to the point where there is still product left, but it won't come out easily (a major peeve!).

Another plus for me is that I've been able to use the same products year round.  With a lot of the other products I've tried, I would need to switch throughout the year as the weather changed.

• Love 1

I need recommendations for a good, super moisturizing eye cream for overnight. My seasonal allergies combined with some thyroid problems have left the skin around my eyes super dry this spring and I'm starting to get fine lines on the outer sides now, too. I'll use anything that will help--drug store, department store, online, etc. I've been using Burt's Bee Royal Jelly Eye Cream and CeraVe, but it's just not cutting it anymore.

I'd try either borage oil or Viamin E gel caps. Poke a hole in the capsule, squeeze a bit of the liquid out and gently apply.

I use the borage oil on my entire face - it absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a residue.

The vitamin E I use every couple days around my eyes - the liquid inside the gelcap is quite thick and does not absorb as quickly as the borage oil. I use the rest on some scars (face) and sun damage spots on my back . Not sure if it will make a difference on them, but couldn't hurt (I hope).

• Love 1

Jojoba oil is a great moisturizer too, but I think it's a bit light, at least for me personally to call it heavy duty. I mix it as a carrier oil for my vitamin C serum & sometimes use it as a hair oil. If you're up for something different, beef tallow from Vintage Tradition is extremely moisturizing. I can't use it all the time, only in the winter. My oldest daughter, who is very sensitive to chemical ingredients in products loves the stuff.

• Love 1