Type keyword(s) to search

Skincare and Suncare

Athena
  • Start Topic

Get a humidifier.

Clinique's dramatically different moisturizer made me break out. I really only use All About Eyes.

i use Estée Lauder Daywear in the AM and some samples of ReNutriv cream at night. Usually Resilience Lift or the new Global Supreme. If you can use retinal product, you may wish to add one. People I know use drugstore brands such as Olay.  Some wealthier ones use the overhyped Perricone products.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, smeds said:

Does anyone have a night cream and/or serum they would recommend?  I decided that now that I am in my early forties I need to step-up my skin care regime.  I typically use Clinique's 3-step system, but when I started to use their serum and night cream I broke out and I typically do not get breakouts.  As a little background - have fair skin (but tan easily and my pores are on the larger side so they do get clogged.  I live in NYC, so my skin tends to be dry in the winter (love that radiator heat) and oily in the summer.  I don't really have many wrinkles.  People usually tell me I look young for my age (yay me!), but I attribute most of that to not having to worry about kids.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

I just discovered Korres Greek Yoghurt Sleeping Facial earlier this year.  I think it's amazing.  It leaves my skin moisturized, supple, and glowing the next day.

• Love 2

I just ordered a few moisterizers to try based on the thread. My skin is normal but I detect a change from the weather & working excessively (which leads to stress, fatigue and dehydration). I think in general it was time for me to grow up and get real about skin care this year

During the last three years I have had a problem with sunscreen.  My neck will get painful red welts in the creases.  Of course, it took me a year and a half to figure out what was causing the welts.  Last year I tried six different sunscreens.  The only difference was some took longer to annoy my skin.  I don't go out in the sun that often because I also can get a sun rash but I like to go to a farmer's market.   I saw the list a couple of pages back but don't have enough knowledge to figure it out.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  (The excessive sweating may be due to the breast cancer medication or getting older.)

3 hours ago, thosme said:

During the last three years I have had a problem with sunscreen.  My neck will get painful red welts in the creases.  Of course, it took me a year and a half to figure out what was causing the welts.  Last year I tried six different sunscreens.  The only difference was some took longer to annoy my skin.  I don't go out in the sun that often because I also can get a sun rash but I like to go to a farmer's market.   I saw the list a couple of pages back but don't have enough knowledge to figure it out.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  (The excessive sweating may be due to the breast cancer medication or getting older.)

Try to talk to a pharmacist at your drugstore. He or she may be able to recommend some options for you, based on ingredients in them and if they would cause a reaction. You can also see a dermatologist about suitable products for you to use. 

• Love 1

Thank-you Miss Lindsey and FrozenDiva.  I know what my first two orders of sunscreen will be this year.   I have spoken to the Dermatologist about this and other skin problems but because my skin looks pretty good for my age in a high altitude sunny setting, she wasn't overly concerned.   I am tired of trying to tuck my neck in like a turtle when I go out though. Also I tried to make an appointment with my doctor in April last year about the problems but I couldn't get in before my annual appointment in August.  This year I premade two appointments.

9 hours ago, thosme said:

I only recommend this because you mentioned breast cancer medication - so, after my mom had breast cancer, the combo of chemo/radiation/medication has made her skin extremely sensitive to this day (almost 19 years later). She wears a lot of sunscreen when she goes out, and the one she always says doesn't make her skin itch/"feel like it's on fire" is Clinique City Block. I'm not sure if that's one of the ones you've tried already, but it might be worth a shot if you haven't. 

Thosme, have you tried Neutrogena CoolDry Sport on your neck? It has not irritated my skin, and does have a cooling effect. Clinique City Block SPF 40 felt heavy on my face, cannot imagine having it on my neck. The sheer version may be more comfortable but it is only SPF 25.

I used to use a different moisturizer/cream for everything--wrinkles, brightness, evenness, dryness, etc., etc. It cost a fortune and took forever. I don't have the patience or the budget, so I took a friend's recommendation and started using a Japanese line called Yu-Be. Their moisturizer somehow just does everything, and it's not one of those pricey, flowery designer ones or anything. For two years now, my skin has been soft and springy and fresh and I haven't seen any new fine lines pop up.

• Love 1

I have the hardest time finding a night time moisturizer that will address my issues (oily t-zone, fine lines, sensitive skin) that won't cause these weird, tiny bumps on my skin eventually. I thought Elta MD was the solution, but a few months into using it and I've got those little bumps coming back. It's so frustrating!

6 hours ago, emma675 said:

I have the hardest time finding a night time moisturizer that will address my issues (oily t-zone, fine lines, sensitive skin) that won't cause these weird, tiny bumps on my skin eventually. I thought Elta MD was the solution, but a few months into using it and I've got those little bumps coming back. It's so frustrating!

Have you tried Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation? It's lightweight but effective and gentle. I haven't had any additional instances of those little bumps on my face when using it.

• Love 1

The lady at the Dior counter keeps trying to sell me the Dior Dreamskin $195 moisturizer. Maybe it is good, but I do balk at the price and the delivery system (a regular jar). The Capture Totale eye serum has taken away a lot of my eye puffiness but....

2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Has anyone jumped on the K-beauty bandwagon? If yes, what is your regimen, and do you have any favorites? 

I have used a lot of Asian products for years and most of my skincare is a mix of West and East. I've found more Japanese products (sunscreen, hydrating toners) more useful for me. I do like layering thin moisturizing layers rather than one thick moisturizer for my Dry/Normal skin. Snail doesn't seem to work for me and clogs my pores. The 10 step regime is a marketing hype; it seems a lot of women in Asia use about 5-7 products at most and not at the same time either.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Thanks, @Athena! The biggest differences that I see compared to my regular routine are double cleansing, toner, "essence" (whatever that is, I'm still confused) and lots of sheet masks. 

An essence can one of the following:

1. Facial/First Treatment Essence - This is a facial toner that is applied after cleansing and actives, but before the hydrating toner. It preps other products and is known to smooth the skin and brighten. It uses a fermented filtrate from the sake or brewing process. SKII's is the most famous. Other Korean brands like CosRX, Missha, Secret Key make cheaper alternatives.

2. Essence - A step usually after hydrating toner and before serum and ampoule. Its consistency is between these. It's usually thicker than a toner, but it's still very light compared to serum or ampoule. Essences/Serums/Ampoules are useful as a treatment for hydration and moisturizing, sometimes for brightening as well.

Sheet Masks: I've tried them and managed to acquire several. It's not really something I feel makes a huge impact on my skin and I find it wasteful to be honest. I'm keeping mine for flying mostly.

• Love 1

Oh, that makes sense now! I spent a few hours reading through K beauty blogs and it all started blurring together. I ordered Son & Park beauty water and MISSHA Revolution/Time to try. I'm not sold on the sheet masks either; I've tried a few but didn't find them any better than regular masks. 

10 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Son & Park beauty water

What will you use this for? This is an odd product as it is suppose to do a lot of things, but I believe its alcoholic content means it's not actually good as a hydrating toner.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Athena said:

What will you use this for? This is an odd product as it is suppose to do a lot of things, but I believe its alcoholic content means it's not actually good as a hydrating toner.

I'm going to use it for cleansing/exfoliating/toning, not a hydrating tone. It was recommended on a few K beauty sites so I thought I would give it a try. My skin is a problematic in the summer so I don't think the alcohol will be a problem. Is there something that you would recommend? I have no trouble returning things to Amazon.

In unrelated news, I got an email for $15 VIB Rouge coupon. Yay! That combined with the $10 credit I got for a Flash shipment that was seriously delayed means I can get something nice. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
22 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Has anyone jumped on the K-beauty bandwagon? If yes, what is your regimen, and do you have any favorites? 

My sister bought me one of the snail mucous moisturizers for Christmas that I love.  It's great for winter, but not for summer.  I also have  received a lot of sheet masksanples as gifts or in an subscription boxes, but I haven't tried them yet.

• Love 1
On 26/06/2017 at 10:14 PM, MargeGunderson said:

I'm also a devotee of the TonyMoly sheet masks, especially the clear skin one. I really want to try the Dr Jart+ Cicapair range as I have sensitive, chronically irritated skin that is prone to redness but it isn't available in Australia and getting anything in from overseas gets real expensive, real fast.

So any one have any quick fixes to streaky self-tanner? I was planning on going to the beach today for a couple of days and did some self-tanning towlettes (which suck, btw) last night so my pale self doesn't accidentally blind someone and I woke up this morning to very bad streaks. I haven't gone yet, and if I can get rid of the streaks I may leave tomorrow. I've tried sugar scrub, acetone, rubbing alcohol, lemon juice, and all of those things with a st. tropez tanner mistake bath mitt.  Now, I'm trying covering it up with an aerosol self-tanner, but anyone have any other suggestions?? 

Still trying to figure out my sunscreen situation. I was looking at Korean brands because they tend to be cheaper and I think they're SPF testing is more advanced. But I was thinking about my stash and lo and behold... I have a La Roche Posay that doesn't expire until summer next year!

• Love 1

I'm 30 and had never used anything on my face. I'd wash my face in the shower with regular body soap.

A few months ago I bit the bullet and bought the La Mer moisturizing (soft cream). It's the only product I use and so far I'm satisfied, lines have decreased, certain spots looks better. I had a small mole taken out a few years ago and it's greatly diminished the scar. 

Overall, I'm a believer, although I live in a tropical climate and I'm unsure whether the La Mer gel cream is a better fit. 

Anyone else use La Mer products? And...can anyone recommend a good serum?

17 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Oh my God, the Sephora Sun Safety Kit bag is SO CUTE this year. I'm going to do my best to actually use all the products this time besides the tanner. 

I grabbed one at the store the other day. It has so many products! Hopefully it will be available again online. 

• Love 1

That was quick! ? I have Native America genetic photosensitivity (actinic prurigo) so those multi product sets are so handy. Guess I'll have to buy ala carte. 

This getting to be a problem with Sephora that their stocking is so small. For instance some of those sets (and I've heard this from actual employees in corp) have only a few hundred units in warehouse for their online/phone order . . . now this site has thousands of visitors per hour. Not only that bs, they have 500, 1000, 5,000 point perks that are cool but only like 50 or 200 quantity thus they go in seconds. How does a company with literally tens of millions of loyalty card holders think a point perk gratifying only 150 individuals is reasonable? 

• Love 3

I've tried the Boscia one you linked.  I didn't like it and it didn't work.

I'm a fan of the original, BabyFoot.  Warning - it's gross for over a week, so do it soon because you won't want anyone to see your feet until it's over.  And put vaseline on the tops of your feet, or they will get burnt.  

1 hour ago, Quof said:

I'm a fan of the original, BabyFoot.  Warning - it's gross for over a week, so do it soon because you won't want anyone to see your feet until it's over.  And put vaseline on the tops of your feet, or they will get burnt.  

Already done! Hopefully no burning on the tops of my feet (didn't even think of that). So far no after effects. I read that it can take a few days before the peeling begins, so I'm not looking for any thing to happen until the weekend. 

10 hours ago, Quof said:

I also love BabyFoot.  Works great for me.

I get pedicures all year round, but I love the REALLY soft feet I can achieve w BabyFoot.  I snapped up a bunch at a steep discount when Drugstore.com went out of business, but they are worth the money full price, IMO.  

Ive never heard of putting vaseline on the tops of your feet during the bootie process...thankfully, Ive not had any adverse affects.

I use it every spring (and then usually once during the winter montgs). I soak my feet each night in some warm water, and it really helps facilitate peeling for me.

My friend tried that last year before she vacationed in in the Bahamas to take her rough dried out winter feet to be sandal ready. She basically said it was disgusting and entire strips of dead skin sloughed off molting then they looked cute.  Now I'm intrigued lol.