Type keyword(s) to search

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I an so grateful for any NEW shows that I will put up with the ultra-cute kids for new content and jokes. 

I NEED the funny in any way, shape, or form. 

His house is ....... interesting.  It gives off a vibe of an adult tree house, which isn't bad. I need calm though so I go for blander,  less quirky myself. 

That said I'm more of a Colbert and Seth fan, but props to Jimmy and fam for staying the course.  

• Love 5

CBS morning contributor had his version on how his kids, wife and he are living in quarantine in their NY apt. He said they cook, eat and argue...cook, eat, argue....you get it. Lol He then compared them to  Alice (tv series). Kind of cute. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

The kids interrupting is going to get old real fast.

Going to?

It's also surprising to me that Jimmy isn't able to hide his clear annoyance when his kids aren't going with the program. I think it was Monday or Tuesday night, he told the girls to wave goodbye and they got silly, holding up legs and bouncing around to "wave." There was this moment where Jimmy stopped, stood there, didn't know what to do, got this brief sorta angry look on his face, and then decided to just go with what his kids were doing and lifted his foot and was silly with them.

Those moments seem to happen a lot, where the anger flashes across his face when his kids are...being kids. I understood the frustration in the beginning because it was all totally new, but he's been doing the at home shows for...what, three weeks now? By now I'd think he'd figure out a way to be more easy and roll with it. They've figured out ways to do bits without the kids around (like the monologue), so for the like 10 minutes his kids are on camera, you'd think he could deal with it better when they are not perfect little robots following his directions.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Crankybroad said:

He talks as if he and his wife and kids are there alone, but if they are there alone, who is with the kids when he and his wife take those boring "ask the Fallons" walks? This is really bugging me. 

I just figured that he has a nanny, cook, and housekeeper like the rest of the celebrities...or perhaps his wife's parents.

• Love 3

I stopped watching awhile ago.  Between the kids, who should be told he’s working, leave him alone, and, his long, drawn out unfunny jokes that he laughs at while telling and his going off on tangents while telling the unfunny jokes, I just couldn’t take it.  It also makes me wonder who thought he was ever funny in the first place.

• Love 3

I happen to enjoy seeing Jimmy with his wife, who is very cute & amusing.  I get a kick out of their "Ask the Fallons"....last night they were so cute in the VWBug(which has a fun back story to it).   I wondered how Jimmy was as a Husband, he & his wife seem very suited with similar sense of Humor.

• Love 6
On 4/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, Axie said:

It also makes me wonder who thought he was ever funny in the first place.

He's not funny to me as himself.  His talent is doing impressions, which he is excellent at.  I guess that's what Lorne Michaels saw in him when he hired him for SNL.  

• Love 1

Jimmy just makes me feel better.  Even if what he's saying isn't that funny, I find it amusing, relatable, interesting, etc.  I think that some people just appeal to us and it's difficult to describe why. I feel it a lot when he sings.   He and I just have chemistry....in my mind, that is. lol 

So, I was really excited when Kate Hudson was a recent guest.  They talked a lot about when they appeared together in a movie called Almost Famous.  WELL, it's  one of my top 5 movies of all time. I just LOVE IT and not because of Jimmy, but, mainly due to Kate Hudson who brought magic to that movie AND the performances of Patrick Fugit, Philip Seymore Hoffman and Frances McDormand!  For anyone who hasn't seen the movie, I highly recommend it.  If you happen to love music from 70's, all the better. It's loosely based on true story of Cameron Crowe.

I found recent guest Alessia Cara very entertaining.  I just really liked her and love love her music.  I wish her the very best! 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/24/2020 at 12:51 AM, catlover79 said:

I've noticed since the week began, the kids' screen time has significantly decreased. How long this will last remains to be seen.

Yet almost all the commercials for the show seem to have the kids in it. They need to realize a lot of people are at home with their own kids all day and would like a break from kid shenanigans  at night. Tv hosts need to stop with the kid stuff. It’s not supposed to be about them. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

Yet almost all the commercials for the show seem to have the kids in it. They need to realize a lot of people are at home with their own kids all day and would like a break from kid shenanigans  at night. Tv hosts need to stop with the kid stuff. It’s not supposed to be about them. 

He needs to take a cue from Seth Meyers. I think we've only seen Seth's kids once - at the end of his monologue once when they barged into the room, right before a commercial break.

• Love 5

Good Lord, how many rooms does Jimmy have in his home?  It seems like an interesting place.  I would love if he would do a virtual tour sometime.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I just deleted 4 Fallon episodes.  Where are his writers and what are they doing?

Very meager amount of monolog content and humor. 

More time wasted asking kids questions and waiting for the nonfunny answers which he laughs at as though they are comic geniuses. 

And I used to like his kids. Now I'm as bored with them as he is. 

I did love his walks with his wife and her input to their history.  Sweet and funny and sincere.  Really quite beautiful. I think I like her more than him. 

Their house would be a nightmare for me. To many colors and patterns. I need calm, uncluttered spaces. Although the slide looks fun. 

The skits are meh, dragging one note joke on soap opera or whatever. Kristin Wiig looks great though. I liked the one Mashup with Gyllenhsll and others participating. 

His writers need to step up the amount of monolog content. 

Seth has been awesome.  Clever, pointed, and really quirky funny. 

Colbert also drags out his monolog with small talk to family and too many pauses.  Kind of boring,  and I love Colbert. Or used to.  Maybe he and Fallon Are depressed.  Seriously.. they seem to be forcing the energy.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Tosia said:

I just deleted 4 Fallon episodes.  Where are his writers and what are they doing?

Very meager amount of monolog content and humor. 

More time wasted asking kids questions and waiting for the nonfunny answers which he laughs at as though they are comic geniuses. 

And I used to like his kids. Now I'm as bored with them as he is. 

I did love his walks with his wife and her input to their history.  Sweet and funny and sincere.  Really quite beautiful. I think I like her more than him. 

Their house would be a nightmare for me. To many colors and patterns. I need calm, uncluttered spaces. Although the slide looks fun. 

The skits are meh, dragging one note joke on soap opera or whatever. Kristin Wiig looks great though. I liked the one Mashup with Gyllenhsll and others participating. 

His writers need to step up the amount of monolog content. 

Seth has been awesome.  Clever, pointed, and really quirky funny. 

Colbert also drags out his monolog with small talk to family and too many pauses.  Kind of boring,  and I love Colbert. Or used to.  Maybe he and Fallon Are depressed.  Seriously.. they seem to be forcing the energy.

6 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

My go to guy is Jimmy Kimmel!!!  Just the right balance.

Another vote for Seth. He's been the Stealth best of late night for years.  I know "A Closer Look" isn't always comedy, but it serves a higher purpose and is always watchable.  Like John Oliver's show.  Seth has that same place, but on Broadcast and more often.  Several of his ongoing skits are pretty good always, like the "Back in My Day" skits and the "Things Seth Can't Say" skits.  When he occasionally uses his family it's pretty funny. He can be a good interviewer, but admittedly he's not the top one.

Kimmel is a mixed bag. When he's on, when he speaks or even jokes from his heart, he's great.  It's no accident that his voice was the one in late night after mass shootings that usually had the most resonance.  He's a better interviewer than the piss poor Fallon, but it's still not his strength.  His bits with Guillermo probably are, and the stuff he used to do with his family members was usually pretty good.

Colbert has also become a mixed bag.  I think his comedy about Trump is the most pointed and the most on, and he's also the best interviewer of the current bunch on Network TV, but I do think he's missing some of the brilliant tentpole pieces Seth and Kimmel have.  He's funny when he's funny, not because there are things that are constantly funny.

Fallon is good at musical parody and the occasional skit and that's it. Period.  Nothing else about him works. It's really that simple.  

This is not counting folks like Oliver, Bee, Noah, or even Conan (who's a better interviewer than Colbert, but on a platform where less people see it).  

Oh, Corden.  Mostly in the same boat as Fallon in that musical comedy and skits are his strong point. That includes the car stuff of course. But to given him credit, the format he stole from Graham Norton (all guests out at once) is so strong it helps, even though his actual question asking skill never has really improved from when he started doing this.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Another vote for Seth. He's been the Stealth best of late night for years.  I know "A Closer Look" isn't always comedy, but it serves a higher purpose and is always watchable.  Like John Oliver's show.  Seth has that same place, but on Broadcast and more often.  Several of his ongoing skits are pretty good always, like the "Back in My Day" skits and the "Things Seth Can't Say" skits.  When he occasionally uses his family it's pretty funny. He can be a good interviewer, but admittedly he's not the top one.

Kimmel is a mixed bag. When he's on, when he speaks or even jokes from his heart, he's great.  It's no accident that his voice was the one in late night after mass shootings that usually had the most resonance.  He's a better interviewer than the piss poor Fallon, but it's still not his strength.  His bits with Guillermo probably are, and the stuff he used to do with his family members was usually pretty good.

Colbert has also become a mixed bag.  I think his comedy about Trump is the most pointed and the most on, and he's also the best interviewer of the current bunch on Network TV, but I do think he's missing some of the brilliant tentpole pieces Seth and Kimmel have.  He's funny when he's funny, not because there are things that are constantly funny.

Fallon is good at musical parody and the occasional skit and that's it. Period.  Nothing else about him works. It's really that simple.  

This is not counting folks like Oliver, Bee, Noah, or even Conan (who's a better interviewer than Colbert, but on a platform where less people see it).  

Oh, Corden.  Mostly in the same boat as Fallon in that musical comedy and skits are his strong point. That includes the car stuff of course. But to given him credit, the format he stole from Graham Norton (all guests out at once) is so strong it helps, even though his actual question asking skill never has really improved from when he started doing this.  

We're 99% on the same page!  Fallon lost me a long time ago with his stupid games with celebrities ... like there wasn't enough to talk about.  His skits never did much for me either.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Kromm said:

Nice synopsis. Pretty much agree with it all, except if Jimmy K dumped  Guillermo I wouldn’t shed a tear.

• Love 4

Jimmy needs The Roots back to do more songs via Zoom. Their renditions of "Stuck in the Middle With You" and "Don't Stand So Close to Me" (with Sting!) were very catchy and so much fun. Jimmy without The Roots just isn't as much fun.

• Love 5
On 5/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, catlover79 said:

Jimmy needs The Roots back to do more songs via Zoom. Their renditions of "Stuck in the Middle With You" and "Don't Stand So Close to Me" (with Sting!) were very catchy and so much fun. Jimmy without The Roots just isn't as much fun.

Hope you were watching tonight.....

• Love 3

Jimmy is interviewing Ethan Hawk and his daughters storm into the room, climb all over Jimmy and totally hijack the entire interview.  Jimmy, of course, thinks it’s hysterical.  It’s not.  Ethan Hawk plays along but does manage to say, “Should I let my kids in here?  I’m a professional.”  The show, and, Jimmy, have become completely ridiculous.

• Love 4

I know Jimmy thinks his girls are cute but he should realize that we've seen enough of them.  He should watch how Carson Daly handles his kid Jack on the Today show.  He holds up signs for his dad but all you see are his arms and he's never hijacked the show.

• Love 3

Jimmy’s daughters are cute but I don’t watch a late night show to watch someone’s kids.  Especially when they are allowed to destroy interviews.

• Love 7

I love Gary the dog. She's so mellow and sweet. Jimmy should have her on more often.

Look, I like Winnie and Franny, but I agree letting them hijack the interviews wasn't a good idea. The only exception was Franny wandered in when Hugh Jackman was showing Jimmy to bake bread the other week; she was pretty laid back then compared to her other shenanigans.

That being said, I do crack up when she uses the phone to boo the Thank You Notes segment.

Last night's "The first thing I'm going to do when this is over" tweets were hilarious. I'm not going to lie, some are on my list.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I love Gary the dog. She's so mellow and sweet. Jimmy should have her on more often.

Look, I like Winnie and Franny, but I agree letting them hijack the interviews wasn't a good idea. The only exception was Franny wandered in when Hugh Jackman was showing Jimmy to bake bread the other week; she was pretty laid back then compared to her other shenanigans.

That being said, I do crack up when she uses the phone to boo the Thank You Notes segment.

Last night's "The first thing I'm going to do when this is over" tweets were hilarious. I'm not going to lie, some are on my list.

I agree 100% - especially about Gary the dog, who should definitely get more screen time. Jimmy should really only show the girls sparingly, mostly at the end of a bit before a commercial. I do like the way he ends each show when he and the girls exit stage slide, ahem, right. Seth Meyers has been good at that; the two times I've seen his sons on his show at home has been at the end of A Closer Look right before commercial. Jimmy should take a cue from Seth.

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Bees - snapshot1~2.jpg

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Bees - snapshot2~2.jpg

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Bees - snapshot3~2.jpg

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 6

Another thing I’ve noticed lately is that Jimmy looks like he just rolled out of bed. He looks dirty, his hair isn’t combed and he has a Hanes like T-shirt on.  I also hate how often he says, “I love you so much” to the guests. How sincere. Obviously, I need to go back to not watching .

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I've noticed the unkempt look on a lot of celebrities lately.  I think they think they're being "one of us" during this lock down time but what they don't realize is that a lot of us still try to look presentable.

• Love 2

I'm sure his kids are bored, but surely Jimmy and Nancy can find other things for the kids to do besides hijacking the dad's makeshift work place.  It was fine to see them a couple times in the beginning, but this is too much now.

They're no different from any other family where parents work from home now and when they're on Zoom or whatever, they manage to keep their kids away. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I do like the way he ends each show when he and the girls exit stage slide, ahem, right.

That's kind of become a game here. Will or will not Winnie agree to go down the slide?

• LOL 6

I did not watch the show in order to see Frannie pick her nose and eat it during the first Thank-you note.

Maybe Jimmy will get a haircut this weekend like he said.  

I agree - MORE ROOTS!

• Love 4
(edited)
23 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm sure his kids are bored, but surely Jimmy and Nancy can find other things for the kids to do besides hijacking the dad's makeshift work place.  It was fine to see them a couple times in the beginning, but this is too much now.

They're no different from any other family where parents work from home now and when they're on Zoom or whatever, they manage to keep their kids away. 

I assume Jimmy must think having his kids shenanigans on screen is a positive thing. 
I also doubt anyone watching agrees. 
They are cute kids. It is good for Fallon to model patient parenting with their shenanigans. And I can see why he might have initially thought it was equivalent to James making faces while playing the Thank You Note Music. But it is not. It is just tiresome. 
Maybe have them doing a more appropriate task or something. IDK. 
Similarly, Colbert's dog is cute but otherwise annoyingly disruptive. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
On 5/1/2020 at 12:49 PM, catlover79 said:

He needs to take a cue from Seth Meyers. I think we've only seen Seth's kids once - at the end of his monologue once when they barged into the room, right before a commercial break.

Colbert's kids are much older (since Colbert himself is) but I like his approach. He acknowledges the kids are right there, out of camera range, even has them talk occasionally, but makes sure to keep their faces off screen. His wife is the only one who occasionally appears on camera, and whole she's historically a bit media shy, has DONE joint interviews with him before, so she knows what she's getting in to. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, catlover79 said:

I agree 100% - especially about Gary the dog, who should definitely get more screen time. Jimmy should really only show the girls sparingly, mostly at the end of a bit before a commercial. I do like the way he ends each show when he and the girls exit stage slide, ahem, right. Seth Meyers has been good at that; the two times I've seen his sons on his show at home has been at the end of A Closer Look right before commercial. Jimmy should take a cue from Seth.

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Bees - snapshot1~2.jpg

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Bees - snapshot2~2.jpg

Late Night with Seth Meyers - Bees - snapshot3~2.jpg

This picture of Seth's kids dressed in wasp costumesx 100000.

Cutest thing EVER on TV. 

And it wasn't random.  It worked with Seth's actual issues in the attic of wasps, the little door and little chair and thornbirds book. 

I love Seth.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 6
(edited)

Last night was listed as "new" on the TitanTV guide, so I skeptically tuned in to see that it was a "best of" newly curated by members of the crew and writers. The current news and my own current (not serious yet, but could be) issues made me mentally unfit to watch Kimmel's spot-on tirade for more than 15 seconds at a time, so I kept channel flipping back to Fallon's show, which turned out to be a pretty good cocktail for the night, especially with this bit from 2013 added to the mix: 

Special kudos to the costume designer (?), and to the way Jimmy, Blake Shelton, Nick Offerman, and Chris Tartarro made used of them with stomping feet and flapping wings.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Thought his show last night was very good.  His apology for the blackface skit on SNL seemed very sincere. 

Good guests and loved the Roots song near the end.  I was unfamiliar with them, other than their short spots on the show, but this made me see them in a new light and appreciate them  - it was incredible.

• Love 7
On 4/21/2020 at 5:24 PM, Axie said:

I stopped watching awhile ago.  Between the kids, who should be told he’s working, leave him alone, and, his long, drawn out unfunny jokes that he laughs at while telling and his going off on tangents while telling the unfunny jokes, I just couldn’t take it.  It also makes me wonder who thought he was ever funny in the first place.

Ditto. His fake ass laugh is annoying. I only watched for certain guests. He isn’t that funny.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

It is so great to see Jimmy and The Roots back in the studio, albeit with no studio audience and the guests streaming from home. It was just so, so nice to have a show with no kids!!

I was just coming here to post the same. I wonder if the other late night shows will follow suit. 

• Love 1

I too loved seeing Jimmy back in the Studio, he seemed happy about it too.  He was very emotional in his opening dialogue.  I wonder if other shows(like TODAY show) will start bringing their Hosts back to Studio?

• Love 3

Do we need to start a GoFundMe account to buy Jimmy some soap, shampoo, a haircut and better clothes?  He looks like he’s been on a three day bender.

• Love 1