Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty Tips!

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Did you try Shoppers' Beauty Boutique? Haven't been near a cosmetic counter since April!

Yep.  My closet Shoppers doesn't carry Dior and I didn't see the specific product online.  I called The Bay and things SHOULD be resolved.

Regarding my Bay order:  YES, it was DEFINITELY the right shade.  Why they sent TWO ITEMS (the gloss and a mascara) in a HUGE box is beyond me.  Seriously, that box could fit two sweaters.

• Love 1

I wondered why the Bay didn't include my Lancôme GWP when I was sent the Le Creuset roaster I ordered. It came a week later. I did pick up the Lip Tattoo in the cherry colour on Monday. The Bay is having 10% off cosmetics and fragrance this weekend!

• Love 2

Ulta has Fiona Stiles at steep discounts right now. I haven't gone into my local store to see what they have, but the discounts online are substantial. Products are getting picked over but I nabbed a few things. I don't know if they're dropping the line or the line is rebooting. 

I covered the Stila Sample Sale in NYC on my blog. I was looking at the site (because I take it way too seriously) to get all the product names and I saw that the Color Balm Lipsticks are the same price ($10) that they are at the sale so that's something to consider if you aren't in NY. I'm mixed on them. I own a bunch of sales (almost all purchased from a sale on one website or another). I don't wear the bold colors too often but I like that they're pretty full coverage. I like the color selection but sometimes it wears weird on me, especially the longer I have it on. Also I could do without the minty tingle. Not everyone wants to irritate their limps into plumpness. I wish I could opt out of that. 

1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Has anyone used CliniqueFIT Post-Workout Neutralizing Face Powder? It's supposed to reduce redness after you exercise? I want to know if it works and if it causes any skin issues.

Not yet but man... that sounds super exciting if it works! I'm probably going to try it. I'll post if/when I do. 

You can watch highlighting tutorials on YouTube - NikkieTutorials is the queen of highlight. A good place to highlight is on your cheekbones, just under the arch of your eyebrow which def makes you look more awake and youthful, & the Cupid's bow above your upper lip which creates a fullness. 

Some people dot a tiny bit on the inner corner of their eyes to make their eyes look wider apart or more awake. I don't usually. My eyes are darkly cool toned and it can make them seem more dark and deep set if I do a smoked crease with the bright pinging inside, if that makes sense. It like pushes them inward rather than bringing them out. Kinda like if a person wears a white top and black cardigan. Everyone claims the opposite in articles and tutorials but I think my experience and comparison is apt. 

And if I wear black liquid eyeliner and there's a metallic highlight on the inner tear duct it's very theatrical. Some dot it on the tippity tip of their nose. Nose contouring is very complex. I'm still studying it. You can also dust it on your collarbones for definition and biceps and décolletage. It makes arms and legs look very toned and cheekbones look etched. 

I don't know what the Anastasia one is like. I don't have much patience for highlight. If I do any sculpting, I'm more of a contouring person. My skin is dry but it can get shiny so highlighting doesn't do too much for me unless I've got a full face of makeup on (which almost never happens these days). L'Oreal used to make a highlighting cream/gel that I liked. With highlighter I don't think there's a right or wrong. It's mostly personal taste. You can get anything from cool white/silver to pink/peach to golden/bronze. Past picking what's right for your skin tone, it's preference. I don't like a lot of glitter because it looks cheap to me and very late 90's/early 2000's. Unfortunately this rules out a lot of products. I want a "lit from within" look not a "pound of glitter on top" look. I've tried Hourglass powder when it was all the rage but I could never see a result and the other highlighters I've tried leave too much glitter. I like a bold lip and strong liner but for the rest of the face, I like to give the illusion that it just looks that way. I need my skincare/face makeup to be subtle. 

tl;dr Choose a good product and use a light hand. Good highlighting is more about the right products and less about complicated techniques. At least compared to eyeshadow, contouring, etc.

Weirdly, I actually knew the inner eye trick,  not sure why though.  I'm pretty pale (with a pink undertone)  and the one I got is more the gold light gold shimmer.  I think the purple and blues in the other ones freaked me out.

Thanks for the advice.  I have a ton of makeup and feel pretty comfortable with some stuff,  but highlighting is new territory for me. 

@callie lee 29 I would have probably gone with something silvery or at least light pink/peach given your complexion but hopefully the one you chose works out. Can you return it? Anyway, I totally get what you mean about the other weird undertones. I will never understand color correcting but that's a conversation for another day.

54 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

@callie lee 29 I would have probably gone with something silvery or at least light pink/peach given your complexion but hopefully the one you chose works out. Can you return it? Anyway, I totally get what you mean about the other weird undertones. I will never understand color correcting but that's a conversation for another day.

Yeah, I haven't used it yet, although I'm not sure of the Sephora exchange/return policy. Looking at the Nikkietutoials now. 

That palette should be fine. It's nice it has the bronzer in it too. Brush that on the hollows of your cheeks and temples. You can also use the the bronzed and tourmaline shade as crease shadows for your eye if you're fair. 

If you don't clean your beauty blender it will get ruined quick. I let some double wear dry into mine and washing it 2 day later it still ain't the same. I also used a Sephora brand cleanser instead of the beauty blender brand stuff. 

• Love 1

Trendmood has a promo code for Sephora right now for 15% off in September its luckyday. However I just tried it at checkout to test and the site said it's only available to certain people in the US. I have no idea what that means! lol 

On 8/23/2017 at 2:35 PM, Petunia13 said:

That palette should be fine. It's nice it has the bronzer in it too. Brush that on the hollows of your cheeks and temples. You can also use the the bronzed and tourmaline shade as crease shadows for your eye if you're fair. 

Sorry for not getting back (Irma kinda slowed down my postng) but I did exactly this.  I love it! Thank you!!!

6 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

This is more of a PSA (but could also be a tip I guess), but Kat Von D Shade and Light palates have been showing up at TJ Maxx's across the US for under $20. So if you've been waiting to get one, run to TJ Maxx. 

I wonder if it's the old model. The new one the shadows pop out so you can put them in a z palette or replace a single shade if you want. 

I need to get sunscreen and I'm overwhelmed with choices. Korean sunscreens are surprisingly pretty cheap. Like $10-$20 for the same amount compared to the popular Sephora sunscreens which average $50. But I have sensitive skin so I don't want to deal with a lot of fragrance, parabens, etc. or walk around looking a like a ghost. Any tips?

20 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I need to get sunscreen and I'm overwhelmed with choices. Korean sunscreens are surprisingly pretty cheap. Like $10-$20 for the same amount compared to the popular Sephora sunscreens which average $50. But I have sensitive skin so I don't want to deal with a lot of fragrance, parabens, etc. or walk around looking a like a ghost. Any tips?

A lot of Korean sunscreens are fragranced. I use more Japanese sunscreens. If you don't want a white cast, you'll have to look for a sunscreen with chemical/organic filters more than mineral/inorganic ones like zinc oxide. On the flip side, a lot of mineral sunscreens are gentler than non standard ones. It really depends on how sensitive you are. Which sunscreens have you used in the past that you've find tolerable or good?

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I know a lot of people swear by LaRoche Posay for chemical sunscreens that are skin friendly. For sunscreen effectiveness and safety advice, I look at the EWG guides, which also give a good overview of different brands' ingredients (helpful for determining if they have things you need to avoid). They don't cover the Asian brands, however. 

• Love 1

Thanks @Athena. I don't really have a preference between Korean and Japanese sunscreens. I just know that the Asian skincare market is more advanced than the US skincare market because of FDA regulations, etc. What are some examples of chemical/organic filters? I got one of those Sephora sunscreen packs so I've tried a bunch but I never used one consistently enough to tell if it was giving me breakouts. And also, usually when I put on sunscreen, I'm out all day and more inclined to sweat, so I don't want to have unrealistic expectations. 

I've tried Clarins, which has a white cast but isn't too terrible. I don't like the formula though and it might make me prone to breakouts.

I've tried La Roche Posay, both the cream and the liquid. I like the cream better. Not too much of a white cast if I blend it in, but I think it makes me prone to breakouts.

I've tried Tarte but I don't like that it has low SPF.

I've been using Kate Somerville. Not really a white cast but it does look kind of greasy (not dewy) so I wouldn't make it my regular sunscreen. Possibly causes breakouts. Unsure.

I used the Shiseido sunscreen that comes in the white container. Slight white cast, not terrible but not great. I probably wouldn't wear it under makeup. I used this one consistently. I don't think it causes breakouts but it's also not great for my skin. I tried the one in the blue container too. That leaves a strong white cast. It hasn't caused any obvious breakouts yet but I haven't used it consistently. 

I've yet to find something that really dries matte. I think the greasiness doesn't help my skin.

54 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

I know a lot of people swear by LaRoche Posay for chemical sunscreens that are skin friendly. For sunscreen effectiveness and safety advice, I look at the EWG guides, which also give a good overview of different brands' ingredients (helpful for determining if they have things you need to avoid). They don't cover the Asian brands, however. 

I would caution using the EWG guides for sunscreen as they are not found to be a credible source for a number of reasons. Here are a couple of links elaborating that: HuffPo, Centre of Accountability in Science, Activist Facts. I've also found the guide not up to date on ingredients. 

54 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I don't really have a preference between Korean and Japanese sunscreens. I just know that the Asian skincare market is more advanced than the US skincare market because of FDA regulations, etc.

This is true and the French brands are advanced as well; however, the FDA has not approved these filters for American sale. LRP, Clarins, etc. have different and better formulations in Europe and even in Canada than compared to the USA. For an overview of all the filters, this page has a good summary.

Perhaps for you the first step is to buy a couple of the cheaper Korean/Japanese ones on Amazon and if they don't work for your face, use it on your hands and body. The most popular Japanese sunscreens are made by Biore Japan which many find mattifying (I have dry skin so I don't use these). A lot of Asian sunscreens have alcohol in them so if you are sensitive to alcohol, please avoid. However, alcohol in sunscreens help them dry down matte. In Asia, the humidity is generally a factor. 

• Love 2

@Athena I have dry skin too. But I find that American sunscreens leave me looking like a greaseball. Except La Roche Posay or Shiseido, but the latter leaves me looking white even though I'm relatively pale. It doesn't blend. I don't know if I'm sensitive to alcohol. I know the list of things to avoid... alcohol, fragrance, parabens, mica, etc. but I don't know what I'm actually allergic to. I just know some skin stuff gives me minor breakouts... mostly tiny blemishes and just a general under the skin bumpiness (and Clinique gave me gigantic, painful pimples) and once in a while I'll put something on my lips that makes them FREAK OUT. I'll look into Biore. I was checking out Missha. They've got $40 free shipping so I could just try two different full-size sunscreens. My only thing is I need to buy from someone reputable and not from amazon. I do not trust Amazon for anything I'd put on my face... except maybe fake lashes. Too many horror stories about the fake beauty product industry.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2017 at 1:50 PM, aradia22 said:

I use an inexpensive Kiss My Face one every day, rubbed in with my regular daily moisturizer. I am pretty pale, sensitive-skinned to the point of random hives, and have been using this one for years (I'm in my mid-40s, no wrinkles...yet). It's not glamorous but it works for about $8.00 per squeezy tube. No strong scent, easy to find in person, and vegan/cruelty-free.

http://kissmyface.com/natural-sun-care-sunscreen/item/355/Sensitive-Side™-3-in-1-SPF-30-Sunscreen---Trial-Travel-Size

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I don't know what your skin tone is; I'm more of a caramel.  But the dark lipstick that I'm really loving is Nars Train Bleu (it's one of the fat pencils) and for the cheaper version, Sephora's Cream Lip Stain in Dark Berry (which in trying to find the actual name just now, I learned that it was recently discontinued - I knew I should have bought multiples, damnit!).  Both are matte and look awesome.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, LuciaCiesielski said:

I don't know what your skin tone is; I'm more of a caramel.  But the dark lipstick that I'm really loving is Nars Train Bleu (it's one of the fat pencils) and for the cheaper version, Sephora's Cream Lip Stain in Dark Berry (which in trying to find the actual name just now, I learned that it was recently discontinued - I knew I should have bought multiples, damnit!).  Both are matte and look awesome.  

Train Bleu is one of my favorite lip colors!

The Sephora VIB sale is November 10-15. As usual, I am totally unprepared. VIB Rouge is earlier.

What is everyone else picking up? I already have my Koh Gen Do and Cinema Secrets brush cleanser. I don't really feel like I need to get more. Maybe Koh Gen Do. I'm also good on brow stuff. 

I wish they sold MAC Cleanse Off because they just keep jacking up the price and nothing else works as well for me.

I'd like to get a cleanser for sensitive skin but I might just get something from the drugstore. And I need sunscreen but I want to get used to using a cheaper one especially since the ones I've tried from those little sets are pretty unremarkable and don't blend out well. 

I don't feel the need to get eyeshadow, blush, lipstick, or basically any color/face paint. And I've given up on mascara. 

I kind of want to stock up on my Stila liquid liners but I might wait for the sale from Stila's website which might be a bigger discount.

I do need more dry shampoo. 

I need to work on my skin. Exfoliator, moisturizer. But it's hard to know what will work. My skin is so sensitive. It's so dry but I only get breakouts when I try to use products on it. But if I don't use products, then it's super dry and I can't wear foundation because it accentuates the dryness. 

17 hours ago, aradia22 said:

The Sephora VIB sale is November 10-15. As usual, I am totally unprepared. VIB Rouge is earlier.

What is everyone else picking up? I already have my Koh Gen Do and Cinema Secrets brush cleanser. I don't really feel like I need to get more. Maybe Koh Gen Do. I'm also good on brow stuff. 

I'm thinking of getting one of BITE's Mauvember products (it's either the multistick or liquified lipstick this year), but I have way, way too many lip things and really need to hold off.  I have enough skincare products for now, so perhaps some eye shadows...and coloured mascara. 

Rouge started yesterday so I placed my order by phone that afternoon after work. I got a beauty blender set, the fresh set that has the black tea firming products, an origins set, an origins full size (3.7oz) clear improvements mask, better than sex mascara, and a waterproof better than sex for my mom. 

Im going to also get a touch more maybe in store. I wanna get a purse size perfume, a lipstick, and palette for my mom. 

I had planned to buy the newest clarisonic smart profile the one with the face lifting technique sonar for my mom but I dunno now lol it's 350 bucks. 

• Love 1

Well dammit. I should have waited purchasing the metal UD eye palette!! I just got it today. Gah!!

I make look at some Viseart and Pat McGrath. I've also been wanting to get an Hermes (Un Jardin sur le Toit) perfume that a woman sitting next to me at a restaurant was wearing I have no idea how it will smell on me though.

I usually get my sister a Tom Ford mini-lipstick for Christmas. And maybe one for me. Maybe some perfume as I am out of a lot.

Did get a Tom Ford Black Orchid perfume at Costco for $60 last week. And did get some of the Dior holiday stuff - both the red and green eyeshadow palettes and the green nail polish (at the Bay).

• Love 1

I had planned to buy the newest clarisonic smart profile the one with the face lifting technique sonar for my mom but I dunno now lol it's 350 bucks. 

I forget what the discount is but look up Tati (glamlifeguru) on youtube. In one of her recent videos... I think it's something about holiday sets, she has a Clarisonic discount. 

Hmn... perhaps I should get a new beauty blender. I feel like I haven't used my old one enough to throw it out yet (because I don't wear foundation)... but it's also always falling on the floor. I'm so bad at this. What I really NEED is eyeliners but again, I think Stila might have a better sale on their website for Black Friday/Christmas/etc. And I'm not sure I'm going to find the right sunscreen, moisturizer, and cleanser for me and my skin at Sephora considering I haven't found it in all my years of shopping there. 

I need to spend $180. Maybe I just won't qualify for VIB this year. I want to buy stuff I'm actually excited about.

If they had Tarte Shape Tape I might get that but I went by the store today to look at the colors and learned it's Ulta exclusive. Sigh...

Arcadia22, if you have eBates, see what you can get back too - I think Canada's eBates is 5% back this week.

With the US getting a lot of good Black Friday sales, you may want to wait to see what places have to offer. I also check our Canada's Winners/Marshalls/US TJ Maxx for things like fragrance gift sets. I tend to find Sephora to be rather overwhelming!

Aradia22, I have only qualified for VIB status twice - in the past two years! I think I only got to that level because I bought some perfume.

Sephora is not my favourite beauty destination - too crowded, too many women behaving badly and pushing and shoving. I tend to order online.

I probably will not re-qualify for VIB this year either. I have been  at least VIB for so many years now. I have found myself buying more from the actual websites of certain brands when they have had sales and I have bought a good portion of my skincare items from The Ordinary. I will use my 20% on a few things, but I have a good supply of my favorites already. Usually there is always something I really want, but I am not that excited about any of the new products that have been coming out these past couple of months. 

I like Sephora because (for the most part) they carry all the major brands and there are tons of testers. And when it comes to discounts/loyalty programs/etc. because it has the biggest selection, it's the easiest to benefit from that sort of thing. I might be more of an Ulta person if there was one anywhere near me (seriously, how is there not an Ulta in NYC???). The drugstore is too expensive for what it is and also gross because almost without fail anything that can be opened (lipsticks in particular) have always been swatched. Rude. 

I think I've just spent so much time stocking up on blushes, brow stuff, lipsticks, and eyeshadows that all I really need are eyeliners, skincare, and sunscreen right now. Well, and makeup remover, but I only use MAC cleanse off. I could be crazy and treat myself to a Natasha Denona or Pat McGrath palette but... why? I don't wear eyeshadow that often. Also, I feel bad about more expensive stuff I bought to mostly qualify for VIB in the past that I haven't really used. (An Hourglass powder that does nothing, a Fresh rose mask, etc.)

Right now my shopping list is dry shampoo, lip gloss, and maybe a new beauty blender. 

----

In non-Sephora shopping, I'm thinking of getting a Missha sunscreen and an elf highlighter. I've tried the poured creme and the powder and I do NOT get all the love for Becca. It just makes my skin look drier. Still not sure about my cleanser/moisturizer situation. I used a cleanser and then Cerave for ONE DAY and I got a pimple.