Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty Tips!

• Start Topic

Did any Rouge members shop yet?  I purchased twice (both online - my closest Sephora is PACKED on weekends, usually millennial-aged women in packs of threes or fours and hoarding space.  At least they're not trying things and then taking numerous selfies before moving on), once for make-up and then the next day, for a mask, spending under $100 (after discounts) for each purchase.  Yes, I spent less than $100 at Sephora.  That NEVER happens!  And I just realized I'm out of a face moisturizer.  Off I go again.  :)

Edited by PRgal

I placed a second order yest or day before and snagged foundation, the no poreblem primer by touch in sol, and the milk makeup liquid strobe highlight (their packaging suuuuucks and literally every review complains about it. I wish it was in a dropper or squeeze tube. I've had it before and de-potted it which took forever). 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I placed a second order yest or day before and snagged foundation, the no poreblem primer by touch in sol, and the milk makeup liquid strobe highlight (their packaging suuuuucks and literally every review complains about it. I wish it was in a dropper or squeeze tube. I've had it before and de-potted it which took forever). 

I was excited to see Milk come to Canada, but after trying them, feel EVERYTHING about them - every single product - sucks in some way, save for their lip items.  Some of it is packaging - those tube foundations, highlighters, etc... just seem...gross to use on the face.  UGH. 

Have any VIB Rouge members received shipping notifications yet?

3 hours ago, Rio said:

A lil off topic but anyone here who has tried Fenty beauty from Rihanna??

I tried two things, the foundation and the Starlet Hyperglitz lipstick. I LOVED the lipstick, but unfortunately, it went back because the color was just not flattering on me. The pigment was gorgeous though. The foundation I got as a sample, and I didn't even end up using all of it - even with me putting on a ton of moisturizer (I have pretty dry skin), it was super duper drying. So if you have oily skin, I bet it's a great option, but it wasn't a good match for me.

I'm Rouge and did some shopping over the weekend - I ended up picking up Herbivore's Lapis Oil and Blue Tansy mask (a godsend for people with redness like me), Belif's Peat Miracle Revital Cream, and their Problem Solutions cleanser (also for redness). 

Anyone try the Huda Beauty foundation yet? I got color matched for it, but it's sold out EVERYWHERE, including online. One of the saleswomen in my store was wearing it though, and her skin looked amazing and the foundation didn't look heavy.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, PRgal said:

Have any VIB Rouge members received shipping notifications yet?

VIB Rouge here.  I placed my order on Sunday and it arrived today.  

I was pretty conservative this year.  I only purchased a full-size Farmacy Honey Potion mask (love, love, love!) and a belief travel kit/sampler so that i could try the Moisturizing Eye Bomb and get another sample of The True Cream-Aqua Bomb.  

I came very close to buying the Guerlain Abeille Royale Night Cream, which is one of the richest, most amazing night creams I have ever used, but I couldn't justify spending $180 on moisturizer, even with 20% off.  Once I secure a sugar daddy, that will be my first purchase (after I secure a nice vacation plan)!

I haven't gotten shipping notifications on anything yet and my  1st order was Friday. They did manage to process the payment and send emails soliciting more orders on additional items tho...? I think I'm gonna buy one more thing before the 15th that bottle of perfume I mentioned but I'm not sure if I'll do a purse size or full size. 

I have heard the rumor, conspiracy theory, allegedly is the delay on some people's shipments is because some items were sold out already when they made the places order but the team pushed it through anyhow. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I haven't gotten shipping notifications on anything yet and my  1st order was Friday. They did manage to process the payment and send emails soliciting more orders on additional items tho...? I think I'm gonna buy one more thing before the 15th that bottle of perfume I mentioned but I'm not sure if I'll do a purse size or full size. 

I have heard the rumor, conspiracy theory, allegedly is the delay on some people's shipments is because some items were sold out already when they made the places order but the team pushed it through anyhow. 

Hmm, that's not too outlandish as conspiracy theories go! All the stuff I ordered on Friday were basic things like cleanser, not gift sets or makeup, so maybe that's why I got my order with only a short delay. I did order a perfu,e set on Saturday and haven't received a shipping notice yet.

• Love 2

I was tooling around on YT yesterday, found this and thought some of you might enjoy what is a precursor to today's makeup tutorials:

In 1973, TV presenter Michael Parkinson hosted "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Joan Collins But Were Afraid To Ask."  In this segment, a bare-faced Joan goes through the steps to transform herself into star Joan Collins, giving tips for both daytime and evening looks (hence my placing this is the Beauty Tips thread). I found both looks quite theatrical by today's standards but somehow they work. Check it out if you've got a spare 15 minutes.

8 hours ago, emma675 said:

luckyroll3, have you ever tried Farmacy's sheet masks? I loooove them, I see such great results. I haven't tried the Honey Potion mask yet.

I just tried my first sheet mask of any kind yesterday!  I really liked it.  I've seen the Farmacy ones, so I might give them a try.  The Honey Potion is really great.  It's more of a mask cleanser.  You put it on dry, like an oil-gel, and as you rub it in, it dissolves and warms up.  Then you can wash it off or leave it on for a few a minutes before doing so.  It leaves your skin feeling so luxurious.  I had originally tried it in a Sephora store on my hand, and it felt great, but I was skeptical.  So I bought one of Farmacy's travel kits about a month or so ago to try it. (Which is great, because now I have a travel jar to refill!)

• Love 1

My FIRST order has finally shipped.  I suppose I'll get the remaining notification notices by early next week. :) #vibrougeproblems

UPDATE:  Second shipping notification!! :)  They're finally catching up!

On 11/9/2017 at 2:15 PM, SCS said:

I was tooling around on YT yesterday, found this and thought some of you might enjoy what is a precursor to today's makeup tutorials:

In 1973, TV presenter Michael Parkinson hosted "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Joan Collins But Were Afraid To Ask."  In this segment, a bare-faced Joan goes through the steps to transform herself into star Joan Collins, giving tips for both daytime and evening looks (hence my placing this is the Beauty Tips thread). I found both looks quite theatrical by today's standards but somehow they work. Check it out if you've got a spare 15 minutes.

I don't know about you, but I think it's creepy to have a guy watch you do your make-up like that.  It's somehow...different...from getting it done in public-public.  

Edited by PRgal
8 hours ago, PRgal said:

I don't know about you but I think it's creepy to have a guy watch you do your make-up like that.  It's somehow...different...from getting it done in public-public.  

Not sure if you're posting to me specifically or this is a case of the Royal "you" but, speaking for myself, I don't find it at all creepy -- I found it interesting. Mileage.

On 11/8/2017 at 4:20 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I tried two things, the foundation and the Starlet Hyperglitz lipstick. I LOVED the lipstick, but unfortunately, it went back because the color was just not flattering on me. The pigment was gorgeous though. The foundation I got as a sample, and I didn't even end up using all of it - even with me putting on a ton of moisturizer (I have pretty dry skin), it was super duper drying. So if you have oily skin, I bet it's a great option, but it wasn't a good match for me.

I'm Rouge and did some shopping over the weekend - I ended up picking up Herbivore's Lapis Oil and Blue Tansy mask (a godsend for people with redness like me), Belif's Peat Miracle Revital Cream, and their Problem Solutions cleanser (also for redness). 

Anyone try the Huda Beauty foundation yet? I got color matched for it, but it's sold out EVERYWHERE, including online. One of the saleswomen in my store was wearing it though, and her skin looked amazing and the foundation didn't look heavy.

The new Huda Beauty foundation has amazing reviews on You-tube but i gather it's drying as well cause it's meant to be for oily skin (well, sought of) and you mentioned that this was the problem you had with Rihanna's Fenty Beauty right? Kat Von D has a range of dewy foundation that is to die for! I am starting to think that maybe you need a dewy foundation and then finish it up with a dewy finish spray (Mac's fix plus)? This is def a good combo for dry skin. You'd look amaze-balls! :-)

I had a weird encounter at a skincare counter over the weekend.  The sales person approached me and addressed me in Mandarin (which I do not speak).  I replied in English, telling her that I was just browsing (I assumed she was asking me if I needed help), but rather than be polite while suggesting products, she seemed a bit...hostile.  I wonder if it's because I'm Anglophone, and therefore, less likely to spend a lot on product.  I've never experienced this before, but I suppose it's a thing now at some stores/boutiques with a large Chinese clientele. #shoppingwhileanglophone

To make the post legit:  Yes, I DID make a purchase - just some cream for my hands and feet.  My hands, especially, get very dry this time of year. :(

PRGal, it seems to be a sign of the times. The Asian customer is the one who spends a lot. And that is who the prime customer is.  The sales folks need to realize that not everyone is who they think they are. I know some Chinese women would be appalled at such behaviour.

I'm Caucasian. And find it a bit awkward and sometimes rude. No I am not rich, but if I want something I will spend the money (granted I will look around for a deal - 10% discount, Sephora sales, etc. ). With no real salary increase for a few years and monthly expenses increasing, I don't have a lot of extra disposable cash now. Like most people.

I'd appreciate having a mix of sales associates reflecting women of all colours. I have friends who are from say, India, who have a hard time finding products for themselves.

10 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

PRGal, it seems to be a sign of the times. The Asian customer is the one who spends a lot. And that is who the prime customer is.  The sales folks need to realize that not everyone is who they think they are. I know some Chinese women would be appalled at such behaviour.

I'm Caucasian. And find it a bit awkward and sometimes rude. No I am not rich, but if I want something I will spend the money (granted I will look around for a deal - 10% discount, Sephora sales, etc. ). With no real salary increase for a few years and monthly expenses increasing, I don't have a lot of extra disposable cash now. Like most people.

I'd appreciate having a mix of sales associates reflecting women of all colours. I have friends who are from say, India, who have a hard time finding products for themselves.

I'm not surprised at the salesperson's attitude.  English isn't her first language - Mandarin is - and many new Canadians from Asia I've come across are rather...ignorant.  But the attitude she gave me reminded me of Shopping While Anglophone in Quebec.  But that's QUEBEC.  Another reason why it's better to shop online.  As for sales associates of all cultures (especially in skincare/cosmetics), I DO see that at Sephora but not department stores (at least not Holt Renfrew or Nordstrom).  

My hands and feet have been behaving over the past couple of days.  Perhaps my body is finally getting used to the colder climate, and thus, is less chapped.  I've also been dousing myself with moisturizer (either that big, nearly INDUSTRIAL SIZED pump of lotion I bought at Whole Foods last year (recommended by my Pilates instructor) or a La Roche-Posay hand cream I bought recently.

• Love 1

My order from 11/3 still hasn't delivered ? 

I think that theory is correct upthread I posted. When I placed my order the SA kinda had slip of the tongue saying issues when payment (when buying online. My page froze) were because of out of stock items. I questioned her stating usually if the item is out of stock it won't let you load it to the cart, it says it on the items page before you get to checkout. Then I asked if anything I had selected was out of stock cuz i would be mad, it was the 1st day of the sale and the items were represented as in stock online and she replied oh yes yes they had them. 

I think the logic of this is because it's better to purchase oversold items with the temporary 20% discount and a long delay then miss the savings at all and then they don't lose the purchase either. 

I placed a 3rd order a full size perfume Tom Ford and another highlighter as a backup for my car or work desk drawer. 

• Love 1

So I lied. Last day of the 20% off and I broke. Getting a beauty blender set (set of 3), a Smashbox lipstick set, a super glittery mini Huda beauty shadow palette, more of my fav Living Proof dry shampoo and then a ton of Ren skincare. 

My logic is that I have a month and a half to try all the skincare. If my skin freaks out, then I can return it. If I return all the skincare, I might go for some big ticket items like a Jo Malone perfume for my mom and Dior Creme de Rose (which is my go-to for really bad dry lips or allergic reactions) to requalify for VIB before the end of the year. Or I might let it go but at least I tried all this skincare using the discount.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

My order from 11/3 still hasn't delivered ? 

I think that theory is correct upthread I posted. When I placed my order the SA kinda had slip of the tongue saying issues when payment (when buying online. My page froze) were because of out of stock items. I questioned her stating usually if the item is out of stock it won't let you load it to the cart, it says it on the items page before you get to checkout. Then I asked if anything I had selected was out of stock cuz i would be mad, it was the 1st day of the sale and the items were represented as in stock online and she replied oh yes yes they had them. 

I think the logic of this is because it's better to purchase oversold items with the temporary 20% discount and a long delay then miss the savings at all and then they don't lose the purchase either. 

I placed a 3rd order a full size perfume Tom Ford and another highlighter as a backup for my car or work desk drawer. 

I got mine on Monday.  I'd contact Sephora to see what is going on.  It's funny.  I emailed customer service one day and the next day, got my first shipping notification.  The remaining two came the following day.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎14 at 7:10 AM, PRgal said:

I'm not surprised at the salesperson's attitude.  English isn't her first language - Mandarin is - and many new Canadians from Asia I've come across are rather...ignorant.  But the attitude she gave me reminded me of Shopping While Anglophone in Quebec.  But that's QUEBEC.  Another reason why it's better to shop online.  As for sales associates of all cultures (especially in skincare/cosmetics), I DO see that at Sephora but not department stores (at least not Holt Renfrew or Nordstrom).  

My hands and feet have been behaving over the past couple of days.  Perhaps my body is finally getting used to the colder climate, and thus, is less chapped.  I've also been dousing myself with moisturizer (either that big, nearly INDUSTRIAL SIZED pump of lotion I bought at Whole Foods last year (recommended by my Pilates instructor) or a La Roche-Posay hand cream I bought recently.

I've neve had issues in Quebec. Was in Montreal in August and did a little browsing - wouldn't pay the 13% HST tax when I only pay 5% here. I have had very poor customer service at Stuart Weitzman - i.e. I asked about a shoe size and the dude went back to talk to his sales associate. Yes, I wasn't dressed to the nines, but there wasn't any reason for it. Actually, I've had very poor service at the store here since it opened.  I jmentioned it to the lady I buy shoes from at Holt's - I've known her for years - she was appalled and said I should have complained to the manager. Holts staff is not allowed to be 'snobby' at folks. I like to see things for myself before buying them but sometimes I simply take a chance and shop online.

With the cold here, my hands are crap. Since I started wearing more leggings than tights, my eczema has been a bit better in winter - made it through last winter with about 25% of my usual breakout.

Only bought 2 things for the VIB sale - a Tom Ford mini lipstick and the UD Moondust brush. I really don't need much and a lot of stuff I liked was out of stock.

One of the new-to-me items that I got during the Sephora sale was the Laneige lip sleeping mask. I love it so much, more than the Bite agave lip mask. Laneige is less sticky than Bite and feels more like a balm. It just takes a thin layer. I've had some dryness/flakiness from a mild cold and it remedied the problem overnight. It's really fantastic.

With the cold here, my hands are crap. Since I started wearing more leggings than tights, my eczema has been a bit better in winter - made it through last winter with about 25% of my usual breakout.

Only bought 2 things for the VIB sale - a Tom Ford mini lipstick and the UD Moondust brush. I really don't need much and a lot of stuff I liked was out of stock.

For dry hands, I use the Neutrogena hand cream. I like the texture of the fast-absorbing one better but either works. A bit greasy if you have to do something immediately after but I mostly use it at night. It makes my hands and fingers less dry but it doesn't help with the... hardness around my nails. I don't know if anyone else gets this but on either side of my fingernails, the skin seems to get very hard and dry in the winter... also around my cuticles.

Good point. Sephora needs to work on their website. I was browsing sets, etc. looking for other items besides all my skincare recommendations and I kept getting to "Out of stock" pages. Why is it up if everything's out of stock? You're doing the listing. 

@MargeGunderson Good tip. I'll keep Laneige in mind if I have major lip issues in the future.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

For dry hands, I use the Neutrogena hand cream. I like the texture of the fast-absorbing one better but either works. A bit greasy if you have to do something immediately after but I mostly use it at night. It makes my hands and fingers less dry but it doesn't help with the... hardness around my nails. I don't know if anyone else gets this but on either side of my fingernails, the skin seems to get very hard and dry in the winter... also around my cuticles.

Good point. Sephora needs to work on their website. I was browsing sets, etc. looking for other items besides all my skincare recommendations and I kept getting to "Out of stock" pages. Why is it up if everything's out of stock? You're doing the listing. 

@MargeGunderson Good tip. I'll keep Laneige in mind if I have major lip issues in the future.

Sometimes, what's out of stock is still available in stores.  I wonder if they leave it up just so you could check if it's in a store near you.  And probably because the brand requires them to keep it up - even if it's not in their warehouse.

@PRgal Actually, what I meant was I kept getting the error page where they say they don't carry that product. I forget the exact wording. It was really annoying especially because I saw a little sampler of Jo Malone perfumes I totally would have snatched up.

The things I noticed that were out of stock were not available in any store near me or they were available only online. I would think that there would be additional stock of many items due to the volume of people buying with the 20% or 15% discount. I also didn't have the time to go to a physical store (none just a few minutes drive for me) and deal with the crowds and a long lineup at the cash desk. I'm sure that sending me an email when the item comes back in the store is very nice - I would like a rain check.

Reminds me of a bit of a gripe I had at a department store GWP a few years ago.  I went hoping to pick up a couple of skincare basics - of course, they were not in stock. I understood if they were unusual items that not a lot of people buy, but this was dumb. Apparently, the store got what the warehouse had on hand and they were to move the stuff. Being a GWP time with more drop-ins buying something to get the gift, it made no sense. I also expect that if there is a GWP and a step-up gift, that both are available for at least a week (i.e. sufficient stock) - and not have the step-up gift (especially if it is nice) disappear within one day. I don't always pre-order, which seems to be the go-to these days.

My lips are fine but the corners of my mouth are splitting from dryness. It looks like oral herpes. It's not a vitamin deficiency. It's just that the skin is so dry that when I open my mouth to speak, etc. in the morning the skin splits. Any tips on what to use to let it heal or cover it up?

Lindi is supposed to be good for dry cracked lips and intensive healing. I know someone who has used it. I used to like the Elizabeth Arden 8hr cream on lips. I sometimes just use a face or eye cream by fresh or belif on my lips at night. I have ones by bite, EOS, & Tokyo Milk that are nice but are more everyday products not a healing treatment. 

• Love 1

Heads up, MAC is 25% off on the website (and maybe in store?) with the code MAC25. You have to sign up for their rewards program thing but it's free and it just takes a second. I stocked up on MAC cleanse off.

Speaking of stocking up, Stila is also 25% off but I just CANNOT bring myself to spend $18 +tax on eyeliners. They either used to be cheaper or they used to have better sales. Or both. I think I might have to try some drugstore options again. I'm a liquid liner girl now. I used to be all about the Maybelline gel liner but I'm too lazy to wash brushes. Any suggestions for good drugstore liquid liners? I need a felt tip. I'm a mess with brush tips unless they're really firm like the Jesse's Girl liner brush. I do like Jesse's Girl but it always smudges under my eyes. 

Is anyone else having weird issues with Sephora? I got one of those lipstick sets that had really weird packaging. It's a cardboard box but inside the lipsticks are just wrapped in some tissue paper. And one item is missing from the set.

Then my eyeshadow palette arrived smashed. I'm also missing samples (not just the free ones but ones I used a discount code for) from other orders.

And they sent me a whole Clarisonic gift set by mistake (but so far they haven't charged me for it). 

Something feels up with their shipping department since the VIB sale. Either they're overloaded or there are too many new hires who don't know what they're doing.

Yes. Besides the issues I mentioned I had a friend receive something incomplete and she didn't want to return it or complain since she was afraid to look like a liar or scammer. My last 2 orders took like 12 days when I have flash shipping also I had no samples and the items I ordered that were meant to be boxed individually (the origins set and the fresh skincare set) were loose. I have heard their staffing isn't matching their growth when it comes to customer service phone reps and shipping/distribution - I heard that from an employee of one of those departments in August or September. This disappoints me but also I get it ... I work retail and there's a drought in hiring and finding quality people in that. No one wants menial jobs anymore they don't pay enough to live and the ones who do go to them it's one good employee (motivated, honest, smart, reliable) in a sea of dreck. 

• Love 1

My order arrived in good condition - no bashed-in box. Had to pick it up at the local postal outlet. Which was apparently overrun with Sephora boxes.

Too bad about the poorly packaged stuff. Should not happen.

Years ago, I bought some Estée Lauder stuff and got a GWP. The gift was missing a couple of items. So I took it back. I spent a decent amount of money and I felt shortchanged. It was probably a rare assembly line issue. I got the stink eye from the counter person.  No, I was not scamming - just exchange my 5 piece gift for the regular one. It has never happened again - unless it has happened to others.

So after a lot of back and forth with Sephora customer service... I finally got one of my samples and a replacement of my palette and that lipstick set. Once again the lipstick set is missing the matte-ifying product that got me interested. I don't know what's going on with them but I'm just going to return it. My Huda beauty palette is smashed again. Last time it was the glitters so that was a mess. This time it's only the black eyeshadow but still, now I can't use that color (it was completely smashed) and the black pigment is in some of the other pans. Apparently they sell it in store so I'm just going to take it back and exchange it there where I can open the container and 100% know that it's fine. The weird thing is the shadows aren't that soft. It's not like it's just falling apart. I think it's that they put no effort into packaging (wrapping it in tissue paper, etc.) and/or someone is actively destroying the palettes somehow. It's an eyeshadow palette. It shouldn't disintegrate when you touch it. Weird. 

Just a heads up if you're thinking of getting one of the smaller Huda beauty palettes. I will say I swatched the first palette I got, messy as it was, and even though the colors were all mixed together those metallics were GORGEOUS. It was like liquid metal. I can't wait to get my hands on a palette that isn't messed up so I can actually try applying it to my eyes. 

Yes besides the BS w/ my online Bath & Body Works order which was placed on the 25th and still not shipped... my Sephora order I placed last week that I got a confirmation on ...just got an email saying was modified because they were out of stock...

giphy.gif

Gee thanks for letting me know days later and how about not letting me order the sets and maybe not sending a confirmation if they are in fact gone?

In more "I don't know what's going on at Sephora" news... apparently I'm $34 away from qualifying for Rouge? This makes no sense. I just added up all my points for the year and I'm not even close to $1000 or points or whatever. But I'm tempted to just spend $34 more or less on a gift set and see what happens. Is anyone here VIB Rouge? Are there major perks? 

14 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Is anyone here VIB Rouge? Are there major perks? 

I have it. I get free two-day, free flash shipping on all orders -- I think that's the major perk. I did also receive a $25 off any purchase promotion a few weeks ago which I promptly used for some expensive face cream I wouldn't normally buy. It was marked "available" online so I placed my order. I got an email that said the order was processing and a few hours laters was notified, like @Petunia13, that the order was cancelled because the product was "unavailable." So, I went back to the site, saw that it was still available and reordered it, using the coupon again. Cancelled again. "Out of stock." They do also offer some premium samples for Rouge members -- but I'm drawing a blank right now what they offered in the past. 

That actually happened to me as well and it cancelled out my coupon too. I smelled bullshit on that because the items I ordered (fresh brand set and a philosophy set) were in stock during the order and in the days leading up to the "out of stock" notice. 

As far as rouge everything is free flash shipping no minimum purchase required, you get a rouge gift which this year was a brush and last year a blush, you get free makeovers and makeup applications (never did one but my mom did which was ...ok...they made her buy stuff but that is not a requirement also I wish they would have taught her why they chose each product and application method or explained things more), & the gifts with purchase are often better options like a mini lipstick and mascara vs just mini lipstick or a mini bottle of perfume while the BI or  Vib get a small lotion or something. 

3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I smelled bullshit on that because the items I ordered (fresh brand set and a philosophy set) were in stock during the order and in the days leading up to the "out of stock" notice. 

Agreed. Total bullshit. I ordered some Dr Jart face cream -- and it never was listed as "out of stock!" It was always available to order. Look, it's not that I don't appreciate the $25 coupon or anything, but if they're gonna limit what you can use to buy with it, then just add exclusions on it so we'll know and they don't wind up looking completely shady. 

Oh shit. The Ordinary has dropped at Sephora.

I love The Ordinary. I was excited about this initially and maybe in the future I will go through Sephora when buying it, but it does not have their full line yet. I am sure they will probably get the full line eventually though.

• Love 1