Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty Tips!

• Start Topic

Petunia I googled because I'd never heard of water dripping. Is it the IV with vitamins & nutrients to boost your skin? If so, I'd probably try it if there was a place anywhere near me (there's not that I could find) & if I could afford it (which I probably couldn't). The premise sounds interesting. I can tell a difference in my skin when I consistently take my supplements so getting an extra boost of nutrition for my skin would be something I'd try. 

Edited by ramble
  • Love 1

no this trend is covering your face w a heavy coat of foundation. Then brushing a big coat of powder all over it like you're baking. Then fill a sink w w very cold water and dip your face in for 30 seconds. After take youth head out and blot it dry. And then you're supposed to have airbrushed almost flawless finish. 

I thought it ended up changing the composition of the products and it looked very much like stage makeup. 

Here's a tip I just tried for cleaning makeup brushes. Don't waste your money on the expensive silicone mats that the YouTube gurus and cosmetics companies are now on the bandwagon for selling.  Go to a crafts store (I went to Michael's) and in the aisle where they sell needlework canvas, get a package of plastic canvas circles. Actually, they are made of a very thin, but durable plastic and have holes in them where you'd typically stitch through with embroidery floss to create a cross-stitch or needlepoint design. They are about 6" in diameter and you can buy a package of six for less than $2.  I happened to have an old empty Cool Whip container and the plastic circle fit perfectly in the bottom of it. Add whatever cleaning solution/water you use and swish the brushes around the bottom and the plastic disk acts like an agitator. It worked perfectly and I was able to thoroughly clean my brushes in about hals the time. It worked especially well with my Real Techniques version of the "Beauty Blender."

• Love 5

I can't help with the mascara question, but for depuffing eyes, I'm a huge fan of the Origins Ginzing Eye Cream.  It has caffeine in it, which helps get away the puffiness.  It claims it helps with dark circles as well, but I don't find that it does, so if your coworker is only worried about puffiness then that eye cream is perfect.  I remember the skincare person at my local Sephora told me that's their best selling eye cream in that store, and I also know Huda Kattan is a big fan of it as well.

Thanks for the response. I'll ask her if this is one she tried. She came in this morning complaint about the product  she uses for her puffy eyes and honestly she did look like shit lol.

I sometimes work 16 hr shifts so might need to grab one for myself for the mornings after those days. 

The mascara question I really just want a kickass mascara. I have had extensions in the past by a great tech and maybe that truly is just the best way. I use better than sex right now 

I usually like Benefit, but Better Than Sex doesn't do much for me.  I am a huge fan of the Tarte mascaras; I used to use Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara, and now I use the Tarte Lash Paint.  Both are plastic brushes, but I think they give me super long lashes.

That being said, I have often dreamed about getting eyelash extensions; I just have to find a good tech.  I follow the writer Kelly Oxford on Snapchat and she gets eyelash extensions and hers look fantastic.

I gave my coworker your suggestions ? When she was writing them down I asked if she had any allergies or food sensitivities since her bags and circles are baaaad. She said no. 

I'm annoyed I was going to get the lorac pro palette and was astonished Sephora doesn't carry lorac. Macy's does and is offering a good gift w purchase set but you have to spend $50 and it's online only. I really prefer being loyal to one retailer and doesn't like that kind of purchase minimum since if I add another item like a lipstick or mascara it'll make my total like $70-80

You could try Amazon -- right now they're offering $25 back for prime members on $50 luxury beauty purchases, and I think Lorac is one of the brands they offer. I'm pretty sure it's not just makeup the offer is good for -- they have haircare and skincare and other stuff.

On 10/24/2016 at 9:47 PM, Petunia13 said:

Two questions help me my beauties! 

What are good products for depuffing eyes? This is mainly for a coworker. 

Second best mascara that doesn't have a plastic brush. A bristle brush. 

No sure if that can help, but years ago I used to wake up with *one* puffy eye. My mom suggested I stop using softener when washing pillow cases and voilà - no more single puffy eye! (I tend to sleep with mostly one side of my face on the pillow)

• Love 1

That's actually really helpful! I'll tell her try to sleep on her back and check her laundry products. Her eye bags and circles are really bad (it looks like Halloween makeup honestly or that she's ill) I could tell she was self conscious and frustrated. 

As for mascara I decided to give Lash Paint a whirl..(Even though it has a plastic brush which never works with my lashes) lash paint was recommended by several here and several at Sephora employees I spoke to my last visit and makeup gurus I know. 

Does anyone change their hair care regime or products with seasons? If so, do they have any tips or comments? I feel like my ends are getting drier. Also I wore my hat recently and does anyone have tips for hat head or static electricity? 

I try to not use scented laundry products. The perfume from the dryer sheet left on the pillowcase would give me an irritation or rash on my face.

i tend to watch for eczema at this time of year. Last winter was bad for it. Rarely wore tights - mainly Hue leggings.

With the cold here, hat head and static hair are issues. Maybe try a different conditioner? I live in a dry climate winter wise although the past few have been more humid.

On 2016-10-29 at 6:38 AM, Petunia13 said:

Does anyone change their hair care regime or products with seasons? If so, do they have any tips or comments? I feel like my ends are getting drier. Also I wore my hat recently and does anyone have tips for hat head or static electricity? 

No tips for the hat head or electricity, but I do use more masks. I actually have an oily scalp, but it abates more in the winter so I'll do an oil mask of castor and coconut oil (a little bit) in the winter. I also suggest using a serum or leave in conditioner for your tips. Straight argan oil is good and using a boar bristle brush.

• Love 1

I tried Tarte Lash Paint and it doesn't work well w me. I think my lashes, are not short but each strand is too thick at the base and they sometimes overlap or cross over one another. So I need a meatier wand that is stronger when it separates and tries to lifts.

sephora is steady irritating me. They sold out of SOOOO many sets. And their rewards are always poof ....but esp now. Get it together! 

20 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

sephora is steady irritating me.

Tell me about it. I took advantage of their 20% off this past weekend and ordered a new eyelash curler, among other things. I get an email that the other things shipped and a separate email telling me the eyelash curler wasn't part of the order because it's out of stock. So, I go back on the Sephora website where the eyelash curler is still listed for sale but with a "low quantities available" (or something similar) next to the price. I call Sephora. The CSR tells me that no, despite what the website says, the eyelash curler is out of stock at the warehouse and not available. 

Not two minutes after the call did I get an email from Sephora with the subject line, "Take Another Look!" and the body of the email contained a giant picture of the eyelash curler with a headline exclaiming, "Snap it up before it's gone!"  

Fuck you, Sephora. I bought one at Amazon instead.

Does anyone have any tips for contouring and highlighting or strobing? I have the Tarte contour brush and beauty blenders so can use them. I also have the usual drug store sponges and brushes jive. My contour products on hand are park ave princess one and two. I feel like my skin tone is too cool and medium for those shades maybe. 

Talked to Sephora customer service tonight about those missing favorites sets and fear the ones I was interested in won't be restocked. They had gimme some more lip in 2 set options (one had like 17 lip products for $75 - a steal)  and Sephora Favorites: Superstars in 3 new options (one had a formula x polish included and some kat Von D. Another had a conditioner or dry shampoo besides the typical face jazz) literally for like hours and they all were the shit! anyhow the rep explained sometimes those aren't meant to be ongoing sets or normal options but sell off or test options in a very limited number. 

My Sephora VIB order arrived today - Armani foundation, Tom Ford Noir de Noir Body Spray (the perfume was out of stock until about two days after my order when some 'reappeared'). Cheaper too.  A Bite Beauty lipgloss and a Christmas stocking stuffer gift.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

Any of you doing Black Friday beauty shopping??

Yep! Here's my Sephora haul:

Tarte Pretty Little Lippies  and Intro to Tarte Discovery set

Cover FX Radiant Skin Duo (got the drops in a Play box and love them)

Buxom License to Chill 3 piece Eye & Lip Collection (I'm having a rose gold obsession)

Origins Cult Favorites (masks)

I checked out Ulta too but nothing grabbed me. Tarte has 25% of everything on the site. Also, Temptalia has a list of Black Friday sales.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

I bought a couple of Tom Ford Lips and Boys lipsticks from Holt Renfrew (online) - Logan (my sister's dog's name - for her as a gift - and Snowdon for me. And a Charlotte Tilbury palette. Which qualified me for a nice free beauty bag gift. Sephora has the lipstick collection here (online) and with my VIB renewal Imwould get 10% off, so I chose the free bag.

Amazon had new Sennheiser headphones (closed back HD598). Used my eBates rebate to bring them down to about $85.

• Love 1

My sister 'referred' me. If you can refer X folks, you make a little money. Pretty easy. Email addy and password, maybe a few things on the form. You get emails each week with the various cash back percentage. You would access the shop you want through the eBates site and if you buy anything, you will get a deposit in your account. You get your money back a couple times a year. You can also sign up on your own.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

I bought a couple of Tom Ford Lips and Boys lipsticks from Holt Renfrew (online) - Logan (my sister's dog's name - for her as a gift - and Snowdon for me. And a Charlotte Tilbury palette. Which qualified me for a nice free beauty bag gift. Sephora has the lipstick collection here (online) and with my VIB renewal Imwould get 10% off, so I chose the free bag.

Amazon had new Sennheiser headphones (closed back HD598). Used my eBates rebate to bring them down to about $85.

I'm eyeing the Tom Ford lipsticks too. Beautiful colors.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I'm eyeing the Tom Ford lipsticks too. Beautiful colors.

They are! I see what I like through Temptalia swatches. Only the scents and full size lipsticks are here. Sephora carries the summer line and a bit of the new winter one. A better price than the $68 full size one here. However, if a lipstick that price stayed on perfectly all day, it might be worth it!

On 11/25/2016 at 11:01 PM, Petunia13 said:

I have never used ebates. Is it hard to get set up? 

I signed up for ebates last year and have already gotten back over $100.  It's always nice to get a random check in the mail for $30-40 bucks.  If you use a chromebrowser, they now also have an extension that will tell you immediately when you are on a site that works with ebates, which is so much better than having to remember to visit the ebates website and check to see if there are any cash back opportunities. 

I just got my Sephora Black Friday Haul yesterday:

• 2 Kat Von D Everlasting Lipsticks in Damned and Vampira
  • Josie Maran Infinitely Argan: Lip & Cheek Duo
  • Erborian Solid Cleansing Oil
  • Ouidad Curl Immersion H-Defining Custard
  • DevaCurl Low-Poo
  • Briogeo Rosarco Milk Reparative Leave-in Conditioning Spray

Anyone use the Eve Lom cleanser?  I received a sample about a year ago that I just tried earlier this week and I've been reading that it's supposedly the greatest cleanser evah.  But, it costs $80!  I mean, I enjoyed the sample.  I liked the idea of using the muslin cloth to help open your pores and then lightly exfoliate.  And it made my skin look and feel great. I just got a $25 off certificate this morning from Sephora, so I think I'll go ahead to get it anyway (plus I need $55 more to keep my Rouge status - not sure that's something I should be proud of!  Lol!)  Anyway,  looking forward to any thoughts.

• Love 1
On 10/24/2016 at 9:39 AM, Petunia13 said:

The mascara question I really just want a kickass mascara. I have had extensions in the past by a great tech and maybe that truly is just the best way. I use better than sex right now 

How did you like your eyelash extensions? I'm thinking about making extensions my birthday/Christmas present to myself, but I'd love to hear your experiences with them. Like how often you had to get a fill, how much work it was to take care of them, etc. 

21 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

How did you like your eyelash extensions? I'm thinking about making extensions my birthday/Christmas present to myself, but I'd love to hear your experiences with them. Like how often you had to get a fill, how much work it was to take care of them, etc. 

Yes it was a game changer! I had them done 3x. And they lasted almost 3 months. It saved time on makeup and when I went barefaced my eyes looked great. It's important to go to a highly reviewed place / tech. Mine was v good

I need some tips for getting my liner to go closer to my waterline without wearing off. I keep seeing all these pictures on Twitter and Insta of gorgeously lined eyes on the upper lid and it looks like the liner goes right up to their eyesball. I can't seem to find a liner that stays on without quickly wearing off. Should I try a combo of liquid and pencil liner? I'm just trying to get my liner to make my eyes pop a little more.

Seche Vite is the best top coat I have ever used. It dries in a flash and provides such a hard, chip-proof finish.

I was a die hard Seche Vite fan and advocate, California warning label be damned. But the formula just seemed to get more bubbly over the years and of course, there was the inevitable thickening. The thinner they sell never did a damn thing. But nothing I've ever tried was a comparable quick-dry top coat... most especially anything Sally Hansen or at the drugstore. Recently I've been using Poshe and it's working pretty well though at least when I immediately paint it on, I've noticed it makes the polish underneath look a little lighter. 

I'm still looking for a solid concealer that matches my skin tone, covers up my dark circles, and doesn't crease(though I have some too-light options that sort of work for me). My really big issue is that I've NEVER been able to find a good mascara that keeps my lashes curled. I'm Asian so my eyelashes point straight down. I've tried waterproof. I've tried every brand that's been recommended. I've tried Asian brands. Nothing works so far. The best I've done is with some L'Oreal mascaras and Tarte Lights Camera Splashes. I feel like every time I'm writing down my thoughts (for reviews) I'm always rationalizing though like... well it's not as horrible as most of the mascaras I try. The best I do is with mascaras that still make my lashes fall from where I've initially curled them but don't leave me with straight lashes again and usually they smudge or flake or something.

Can anyone recommend a good eye make-up remover?  I've been using Almay pads for years, but they are not getting the job done.  I've also tried Neutrogena make-up tow-lets, which work well on my face, but no so much my eyes.  

This answer is very late but my absolute favorite is MAC Cleanse Off. They're killing me with the ridiculous price hike (and never having sales) but I still need to have it. Nothing takes off things like stubborn liquid liner and waterproof mascara as quickly and easily. After that, I might go in with something else. I have some samples of this and that and I'm working through a bottle of Koh Gen Do. Everyone raves about Bioderma but I haven't been motivated enough to get it since it doesn't sell somewhere like Sephora where I can add it to my cart. Maybe I'll get it if I ever go to Europe again. I do like Lancome Bifacil but I don't use it that much. It's not as good as MAC Cleanse Off.

As for contouring, I do a light contour sometimes if I'm wearing a more muted makeup look (like a neutral lip or brown shadows) or if I'm wearing something I consider edgier. I use it more like bronzer though. I just carve out my cheeks a little because I already have that defined dip/hollow in my face but if there are no shadows, my face just looks round. I used to use the ELF Blush/Bronzer palette because I'm cheap and I still think it's a good option if you have a lighter skintone and you're just figuring out contouring/want something more subtle. Now I use this pretty subtle Inglot contour shade. I don't do the whole deal though. I can't find a highlighter natural enough for me to really want to use it.  

Does anyone have tips for how to put on fake lashes besides the standard ones? I think I'm getting slightly better each time but it's still nothing I would go out the door wearing (especially since usually I've glued it so my vision is impaired). I have monolids so when I open my eyes, my lash line recedes under a fold of skin. I feel like it's pretty impossible for me to glue the falsies right at the lashline and not wobbly in some way. It's frustrating because being somewhat artistically inclined, mastering most makeup has been easy since it's just painting on my face. 

50 minutes ago, kevin123 said:

It's a natural tip that I have for you. Sunscreens always don't work well. For preventing tans and burns from the sun, just apply a paste of turmeric and curd to your hands, neck, and legs.

Of course that will give you a yellow stain on your skin from the turmeric that will take a couple days to come off. And if you get that stuff on your clothes, forget it. It probably won't come out.

Being Indian, we keep turmeric around the house; it's a spice often used in Indian cooking and for a lot of Indian home remedies. It is magical for things like swollen ankles, if you get a sprain. Mix some turmeric and water into a paste, heat in the microwave and apply on the swelling. Again be careful of getting it on your clothes, bedsheets, etc. And when I was a child, my mom used to mix milk and turmeric, heat it up and give it to me when I had a cold. I HATED it.

• Love 2

So being a (part-time) beauty blogger, I test a lot of lip products. I'm also sensitive to something because periodically I will get an allergic reaction. It usually goes away in about a week. It's super cold here and I think the combination of that with the currently allergic reaction is stopping my lips from healing. They've been dry and flaky for a while now, even though I've been sticking to lip products that I know that I'm not allergic to. Any advice? Should I drop everything but lip balm completely? Is there something I can use for quick healing? If it were just dryness and flaking, I'd just exfoliate and use lip balm. But the allergic reaction is what won't go away and there's this tight, dry feeling to my lips. The top layer of skin also gets rough before it starts flaking.