Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty Tips!

• Start Topic

Has anyone tried to use a foundation brush rather than a sponge to blend make up? If so, is it worth it?

I switched a couple of years ago. Love the brush more than the sponge. I think the coverage is smoother.  The only minor annoyance is cleaning the brush regularly.

I don't use sponges. I have a couple of foundation brushes.

I use my fingers for the most part. My current foundations (EL Perfectionist and Armani Luminous Silk, plus Armani Maestro) have pumps or droppers. For a more natural look, I don't use the brush. For evening, moreso. I used the brush more when I had a foundation that didn't have a pump dispenser. Too gloopy and messy. Too easy to get bacteria from my fingers in to the bottle, too easy for the foundation to oxidize. Found it much more hygienic and it's easier to wash the brush than spend a lot of money on sponges that you throw out.

One beauty consultant I knows takes the thingie out of the container and gets the foundation from the stem - she says it's because some clients don't want to be foundation-slashed/streaked, and I get it, but since I saw how she does it, I've been doing the same, because it's so much easier for me this way to get the amount of foundation I want to apply on each part of my face  

I hope the beauty consultant uses a brush or sponge to take the foundation from the 'stem'. Otherwise, it's way too easy to contaminate the product (many people do not wash their hands regularly), and it's not good if she uses the same product on many of her clients.

Are there any stores that do personalized makeup tutorials? I need advice on how to apply makeup to aging skin, what colors work best for me, how to play up my good features and tone down my not so great features. I don't want a sales person trying to push product on me. I'm willing to pay for a knowledgeable makeup artist to help me update my look. Are there any stores like Ulta or Sephora or maybe Macy's that do this? 

Are there any stores that do personalized makeup tutorials? I need advice on how to apply makeup to aging skin, what colors work best for me, how to play up my good features and tone down my not so great features. I don't want a sales person trying to push product on me. I'm willing to pay for a knowledgeable makeup artist to help me update my look. Are there any stores like Ulta or Sephora or maybe Macy's that do this? 

I've done it at Sephora and had a fine experience. I think that at any store you are going to find that they want to sell you product, but I've never felt it was aggressive at Sephora. One of the nice things about Sephora is that you can make an appointment to do a consultation. I don't work there, just a happy customer.

Edited by MargeGunderson

Sephora seems okay.

Have you looked at your local phone book or newspaper's fashion page to see who the paper uses as a makeup artist? Some do bridal and other special occasion makeup or consultations and aren't loyal to any line and may be worth a look. Maybe if you have a Nordstrom in your area? Some sales reps receive training in many makeup lines to cover counters when the staff is at lunch or on holiday. Mostly it is usually trial and error. Some are genuinely helpful and would be happy to help, even if it means their commission may be a couple months down the line. A good customer getting good service will come back and also refer friends.

Today my best friend sent me some devastating news: Bonne Bell's Lip Smackers are soon to be a thing of the past in the U.S., at least for a while. I am stocking up on Dr. Pepper, since it's pretty much the only thing I put on my lips. *sob*

I just want to say I'm so excited to see other adults who use Lip Smackers. I too love Dr. Pepper and bring it with me when I go out. I hate reapplying lipstick/lip gloss at bars and find the Dr. Pepper is just the right tint to look like I put effort in.

I've seen videos where they say to put red or coral contouring to get rid of dark circles under your eyes. I feel dubious about this because i would think the red tone would make your eyes tired if you don't cake it with enough concealer.

That will work in theory because reddish orange and purple are opposite on the color wheel and cancel each other out. I've seen salmon-colored concealers that work. I have one from NYX that I use occasionally. I apply it between the foundation and regular concealer. I like it.

Try a primer that doesn't contain a silicon. I also dislike primers that are too slippery. It seems like those and foundations are ones that people really have to try and what works for some is a total miss for others.

In make up tutorials I've seen girls slather primer on their face. I find that if I use that much, my face feels slimy and my foundation gets greasy. I only use it on the driest spots on my face like my cheeks.

Try a primer that doesn't contain a silicon. I also dislike primers that are too slippery. It seems like those and foundations are ones that people really have to try and what works for some is a total miss for others.

With the slippery, silicone primers, you only need to use a really tiny amount, like less than a pea size, for your entire face.  That way, you create a super thin layer.  Otherwise, you just get covered in goop!

• Love 2

Has anyone tried Sephora's cream lip stain. On a whim I got the red, (usually just a barely there gloss kinds girl) and am wondering how to apply it properly. I just don't seem to get a nice crisp edge. Do I need liner? Or am I just looking up close?

Has anyone tried Sephora's cream lip stain. On a whim I got the red, (usually just a barely there gloss kinds girl) and am wondering how to apply it properly. I just don't seem to get a nice crisp edge. Do I need liner? Or am I just looking up close?

I love Sephora's cream lip stains.  You usually don't need a liner, but with a color like the red, a liner would definitely help to give it a cleaner look. 

If you don't have a liner, you can use the stain itself to line with it first, then filling the rest of your lips. 

Edited by luckyroll3

I don't know if any of you have heard of "baking". It's a technique where you apply a thick layer of highlighter under you eyes and on you forehead and nose. Then you put a heavy layer of loose translucent powder. You let it sit for 5-10 minutes and them you brush the excess off. This may not be a good idea if you have dry skin or fine lines around the eye area. The powder can dry out the skin and make lines more noticeable.

• Love 1

If anyone likes Tarte cosmetics they're having a pretty good birthday sale on their site. Go there. I enjoy several of their products & am tempted even though I really don't need anything. 

Edited by ramble
Added Link.
  • Love 1
On 10/2/2016 at 10:22 PM, ramble said:

If anyone likes Tarte cosmetics they're having a pretty good birthday sale on their site. Go there. I enjoy several of their products & am tempted even though I really don't need anything. 

Tarte http://tartecosmetics.com/tarte-shop-beauty-steals has blush on sale today for $16 (reg. $28). I was going to resist their birthday sale, but I'm in the mood for some new blush.....

ETA - I got Natural Beauty (rosy red), Fearless (pink coral), and True Love (watermelon; this was on the sale page not the beauty steals page)

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1

Tarte is especially popular for their blushes and bronzes. Many a beauty blogger raves or puts one as a holy grail. 

So about tips.... is anyone double washing? I've been doing it after I wear a full face of makeup (which I'm doing more and more). 

I double wash.  First I use the DHC cleansing oil to remove my makeup, and then I wash my face with either Clinique Acne Solutions foaming wash (if I'm breaking out) or Boscia Detoxifying Cleanser (if I'm not).  I can't recommend it enough; once I started double washing, I could see that I wasn't really getting all my makeup off my skin. 

30 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Tarte is especially popular for their blushes and bronzes. Many a beauty blogger raves or puts one as a holy grail. 

So about tips.... is anyone double washing? I've been doing it after I wear a full face of makeup (which I'm doing more and more). 

Yes, ma'am.  I start with Origins Clean Energy (I think.  It's yellow ).  It's an oil which I follow with a face wash.  This oil is one of my HGs.  I have oily skin which neveryoumind is not bothered one bit by massaging this oil into my face.

It feels so good.  2 or 3 squirts massaged in and it feels like a pricey facial.  It will even take off mascara (not waterproof, though).  You don't have to follow it up with a second washing but I do.  My skin has never looked better.  If my skin is feeling dry or tight, I only use the oil.

When I first started using this, I swear that bedtime could not come soon enough I was so excited to used this. LOL. It feels and smells that good.  If you have an Origins counter, they usually have foil samples.

$27 but a bottle lasts me probably 8 months.  I only use it at night.

Edited by ryebread
  • Love 1

I use Shu Uemura antioxidant cleansing oil first and then an Oil of Olay (or store brand) facial cloth. Not the best time of year skin-wise for me with the return of cooler weather and turning the furnace on.  Takes a couple of weeks for my skin to adjust.

I use Simple wipes to remove my makeup, and then Boscia Detoxifying Cleanser (love). Sometimes I use the Boscia oil makeup remover which is also nice.

On a different note, I tried Ole Henriksen's Power Bright 3-step Professional Brightening System this weekend. My skin was amazingly soft afterwards! I'm seriously considering adding it to the routine. It's pricey, but some folks on Sephora have noted that each pod has more than enough for a single treatment so that helps.

This is less a "Tip" and more my public service announcement that Sephora.com is now stocking the full line of Huda Beauty Liquid Lipsticks.  I bought one of the colors when it was the limited launch and I LOVE it - it is seriously so light and moisturizing for a liquid lipstick - but I wanted more of the reds, since the limited launch was mainly nudes.  Now they're all in stock, so I snapped up Cheerleader and Famous before the line could sell out again.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, BatmanBeatles said:

I first wash with Cetaphil, then I use Garnier cleansing water. 

This is what I do, but the opposite way! I use the Garnier micellar water first to remove my makeup and then wash my face with Cetaphil.

I'm thinking of giving the Simple micellar water a try though. The Garnier one leaves so much residue on my face. Which doesn't really matter since I wash my face afterwards, but still.

Anyone have a recommendation for clear lip gloss that is moisturizing but not too sticky? I have a couple of lip stains that I really like (Nars and Bite) but rarely wear because they are dry. I tried a MAC clear gloss but it was ridiculously sticky.

On 10/7/2016 at 8:14 AM, MargeGunderson said:

Anyone have a recommendation for clear lip gloss that is moisturizing but not too sticky? I have a couple of lip stains that I really like (Nars and Bite) but rarely wear because they are dry. I tried a MAC clear gloss but it was ridiculously sticky.

I like Malin + Goetz Lip Moisturizer and I also like Glo Therapeutics Lip Revival.

ETA: I recently replenished my supply of M+G lip moisturizer and Birchbox sells it as a free shipping product (no minimum $ amount required).  

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Love 1

Has anyone tried Equitance? I get banner ads for it frequently (other sites, not PTV)  The Web site does offer a trial kit but I'd rather hear from users who've actually tried the products. Thanks.

1. Anyone doing baking, especially under the eyes? I have an issue with my under eye concealer creasing/cracking towards the end of the day and was wondering if this would help prevent that.

2. Anyone using a salmon or red under eye color corrector? I've got serious dark circles and, thanks to my thyroid problems, some permanent small bags. I use Cle de Peau concealor, which I love, but I feel like I need more help, at least until I break down and have bag removal surgery, lol.

Edited by emma675d
22 hours ago, emma675 said:

1. Anyone doing baking, especially under the eyes? I have an issue with my under eye concealer creasing/cracking towards the end of the day and was wondering if this would help prevent that.

2. Anyone using a salmon or red under eye color corrector? I've got serious dark circles and, thanks to my thyroid problems, some permanent small bags. I use Cle de Peau concealor, which I love, but I feel like I need more help, at least until I break down and have bag removal surgery, lol.

I'm black, so I use an orange correcter. a MUA from MAC had one more of a salmon/orange mix.  I'm currently using a la colors orange correcter that was like 2 bucks.

• Love 1

Not sure if this qualifies as a beauty tip, per se, as it's more of a beauty SOS, but:

I had the worst bikini waxing experience of my life and besides a patchy, crappy wax job I have some sort of red burns on my inner thighs that I think are from the glycolic acid in the post-wax solution she put on my skin. Either that or she ripped off a couple layers of skin, but it seems more of a chemical burn. Has this happened to anyone before, and if so what did you put on to calm it down?

Obviously I can't use TendSkin now so hello ingrown hairs, on top of it all. :(

So. Damn. Mad.

I've used diaper rash cream, the thick white stuff (Penaten, but I think they are all similar). It really helps red angry skin. Of your skin is actually broken then probably polysporin.

I got laser treatment over the last year because I was tired of the red skin and ingrowns, best decision ever. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, glowlights said:

Not sure if this qualifies as a beauty tip, per se, as it's more of a beauty SOS, but:

I had the worst bikini waxing experience of my life and besides a patchy, crappy wax job I have some sort of red burns on my inner thighs that I think are from the glycolic acid in the post-wax solution she put on my skin. Either that or she ripped off a couple layers of skin, but it seems more of a chemical burn. Has this happened to anyone before, and if so what did you put on to calm it down?

So. Damn. Mad.

Sorry to hear that. I second something medical like polysporin or maybe something suitable for burns.  Once the initial pain subsides, I recommend careful treatment of the area with light moisturizers and that which rebuilds the skin moisture barrier. Aloe vera, products with honey, ceramides, products for super sensitive skin types or post-peels. Only use these kind of products for at least a month since you need to heal that area. Good luck!

On 2016-10-04 at 10:23 AM, Petunia13 said:

I only recently started double cleansing. I have dry, mildly sensitive skin with mild rosacea acne flareups. This year, I've found the best standard/second cleanser for me (CeraVe Hydrating). I should have started double cleansing earlier as I wear waterproof sunscreen almost daily. Right now, I'm testing out The Face Shop Rice Rich Cleansing Oil for my first cleanser. So far so good. I'll experiment with sherbet cleansers in the future as well.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2016 at 0:07 PM, emma675 said:

I live in the desert, so if I overdo the powder my skin looks parched. I use a line-filler for my undereyes that seems to set my concealer pretty well.

14 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I live in the desert, so if I overdo the powder my skin looks parched. I use a line-filler for my undereyes that seems to set my concealer pretty well.

Would you share which filler you use? I swear a single deep wrinkle appeared under my eye last week and it is driving me to distraction. My corrector/concealer is creasing like crazy!

24 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Would you share which filler you use? I swear a single deep wrinkle appeared under my eye last week and it is driving me to distraction. My corrector/concealer is creasing like crazy!

I use the Skinn Cosmetics Insta-Fill for eyes. I buy it off Evine, but I've seen it on Amazon as well. It's basically a spackle that fills in eye wrinkles, so makeup doesn't settle into the lines.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Sarahendipity said:

I've used diaper rash cream, the thick white stuff (Penaten, but I think they are all similar). It really helps red angry skin. Of your skin is actually broken then probably polysporin.

I got laser treatment over the last year because I was tired of the red skin and ingrowns, best decision ever. 

Thanks! I got a zinc-based diaper cream. Pretty goopy but it is very soothing. Did the laser hurt? I've been wondering if I should just get it all zapped off...

4 hours ago, Athena said:

Sorry to hear that. I second something medical like polysporin or maybe something suitable for burns.  Once the initial pain subsides, I recommend careful treatment of the area with light moisturizers and that which rebuilds the skin moisture barrier. Aloe vera, products with honey, ceramides, products for super sensitive skin types or post-peels. Only use these kind of products for at least a month since you need to heal that area. Good luck!

Thanks, I will look into something that's for post-peels and/or aloe-based, once I don't need the diaper cream. What a stupid mess. :(

Yeah laser hurts. I'd say it's about the same level as waxing, but instead of 100 at once you feel every single hair being blasted. There is numbing cream you can use, highly recommend it, and don't skimp!. But after 6 sessions I can count hairs on my lower legs on one hand, armpits clear. Bikini could use one more. Laser is will also discover hairs on you that you didn't know about, did not really think I had hairy toes but she blasted those away. I think that hurt more than anything. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, glowlights said:

So. Damn. Mad.

Sounds awful.  Use tea tree oil.  Either the oil itself or an tea tree oil ointment.  It treats everything (antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, antiseptic, and more) and it will also help with your ingrown.  When I started waxing, my wax lady (don't know the official name, lol!) swore by it, and she was right.   

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

Sounds awful.  Use tea tree oil.  Either the oil itself or an tea tree oil ointment.  It treats everything (antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, antiseptic, and more) and it will also help with your ingrown.  When I started waxing, my wax lady (don't know the official name, lol!) swore by it, and she was right.   

Thanks! I think that would be too much for the burn but when it starts to heal up I will look into the tea tree. I had no idea it would help with ingrowns! I have used TendSkin and it works well, too.

14 hours ago, Sarahendipity said:

Yeah laser hurts. I'd say it's about the same level as waxing, but instead of 100 at once you feel every single hair being blasted. There is numbing cream you can use, highly recommend it, and don't skimp!. But after 6 sessions I can count hairs on my lower legs on one hand, armpits clear. Bikini could use one more. Laser is will also discover hairs on you that you didn't know about, did not really think I had hairy toes but she blasted those away. I think that hurt more than anything. 

Yikes! But still, it might be worth it just to not have this damn bikini line anymore. I don't mind shaving my legs and armpits, but dayum the bikini line is a nuisance. Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

3 hours ago, glowlights said:

Yikes! But still, it might be worth it just to not have this damn bikini line anymore. I don't mind shaving my legs and armpits, but dayum the bikini line is a nuisance. Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

Let us (well, me) know how it goes. I use Nair on my bikini line because shaving irritates it too much and I'm too much of a wuss (and too cheap) to wax. The Nair irritates it, too, but it's not too bad if I use lots of lotion every day and wear boy short underwear that doesn't have elastic there.

Oddly, I can use the Nair on my bikini line and my legs, but it makes my armpits break out.

• Love 1

Maybe it irritates the sweat glands? I have always been wary of Nair because my skin is sensitive, but I see nowadays they have a milder formula for the delicate bits. Might be worth a shot when this burn heals. The problem with laser is someone I know said her hair grew back! Seems expensive if you have to keep redoing it. Maybe her experience was rare though.