Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty Tips!

• Start Topic

Bunny Butt Update - sent some of the Whipped Cream as a gift for my niece.  She loves it and loves the scents, but more importantly, it is one of the few products she has tried that does NOT aggravate her eczema.  It's possible that other scents of the Whipped Cream might result in irritation (because of the essential oils used), but the ones I selected don't  (pure luck on my part).

A young co-worker came to work the other day (she must have had a date after work)  with that new trend in makeup - contouring/illuminating. 

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Facial+Contouring+with+Makeup&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=3C8F145F556F955DFA2F3C8F145F556F955DFA2FYou basically do lines of brown and areas of off-white, then blend it in to give yourself better contoured cheekbones, and make your eyes stand out, I guess.  You do all this first, then put makeup on top of it.

Anyway -  she's very pretty, but the makeup did not stand up to office lighting.   Under the fluorescent lights -  GAH!   It looked like she had some skin disease where she had white patches, along with bruises. 

So I guess my tip is - if you're trying new makeup techniques, use a hand mirror and check how it looks under all sorts of lighting.  And subtle is always better for daytime. Leave "contouring"  for evening. 

• Love 3

Does anyone subscribe to beauty boxes?  I had an Ipsy subscription for a while but just cancelled it because I wasn't happy with what they were sending me.  I just got a subscription to Glossybox.  Anyone try them?  

I have a subscription to Birchbox, which I really like. Most of the samples I get I like, though I am pretty realistic that there is usually a dud(s) in every so many boxes. Not every box is going to be a hit, but overall I enjoyed what I got each month. I thought they did well with what they sent based off the questionnaire that I filled out. I have reviewed the products to get points, which gives a bit of a discount on buying products off their site. I have a few close friends that also get Birchboxes and sometimes when we get something that we did not love we will give/trade it with each other. So that helps too.

I also do Ipsy a day Birchbox. I like Birchbox, but they send me perfume in every box, even though I put on the questionnaire I'm not a fan of them, so that irks. And Ipsy rubs me the wrong way 1) because it's so social media driven (I don't everyone in the world knowing what I'm receiving monthly and 2) because they claim diversity in the girls they use as their ambassadors, but there isn't a single person of color. But I'm willing to throw my values out the window cause I'm a bag hound and I absolutely love the variety and finding different ways to use them.

I was also doing a couple of natural hair ones, but both have ended.

We should start a beauty box thread and trade amongst ourselves.

• Love 1
(edited)

Have you tried a waterproof mascara? Those are a lifesaver in Miami humidity. I've used Maybelline lash discovery with good results. Also, a couple of the Rimmel ones.

I wear waterproof now and it still smudges, yet it's a bitch to get off! I'll try Lash Discovery.

Ladies maybe I can help!!! Last summer, I got a sample of Estee Lauder Sumptuous when buying another brand, this summer I took it with me on holidays to Europe, as it was a smaller version of my usual one. Well, I got caught in the rain TWICE (first time was a downpour, I was wearing a white T-Shirt and looked like I had been part of a wet T-Shirt contest - luckily my bra weas very nice :-)  so I got the best service from that Parisian waiter, lol - but my eyes still looked good), with no hint of smudge - it was even hard to get it out with my usual Lancome Bi-Facil eye make-up remover. Some late nights I even forgot to take it off and it still looked good in the morning. Anyone experienced the same? I don't know if my sample is magical or what, but I'm ready to swith brands, never have seen anything like that before.  

Edited because crand is not as clear as brand

Edited by NutMeg
  • Love 1

Can anyone recommend a good eye make-up remover?  I've been using Almay pads for years, but they are not getting the job done.  I've also tried Neutrogena make-up tow-lets, which work well on my face, but no so much my eyes.  

Can anyone recommend a good eye make-up remover?  I've been using Almay pads for years, but they are not getting the job done.  I've also tried Neutrogena make-up tow-lets, which work well on my face, but no so much my eyes.  

I use philosophy's Purity Made Simple and it does a great job of removing my makeup and cleansing my face at the same time (I also use the Clarisonic Mia).  For really stubborn eyeliners and mascara (mostly Tarte and Benefit) I just use a little argon oil - it removes the makeup and doesn't irritate my eyes/skin (always an issue for me). 

I'm using Simple eye makeup remover pads and they are working well without irritating my eyes.

I've been using Lancome Bi-Facil for years and with good results. Not only does it get the job done even with *really* waterproof mascara (I'm sure I posted above :-) ) but it is also formulated for sensitive eyes, which is ideal for contact lens wearer me. 

Oh, and in other news, I've discovered a brilliant product: Filorga Lip-Structure. There are two tubes actually, one for around the lip (kind of like an eye serum/cream) and a lip densifyer that feels like a lip balm when applied except that it seriously repulps. (Background info: since my mum told me how she doesn't like that as she ages her lips become thin and she looks mean - haha, but not really completely haha - it's become a neurosis of mine. This works wonder when I want a little plumpness and I like that there is a some kind of prevention fo the area around the lips, where most disaster seem to occur in older age :)

I tried the new Neutrogena eye make-up remover cream, and it works really well.  I also tried:

I recently started using Skyn Iceland Glacial Cleansing Cloths ( I got a sample in one of my beauty box subscriptions and absolutely loved it!

I really like these wipes.  They do a great job getting everything off and making your skin feel clean.  

Edited by ccphilly
  • Love 1

I've recently started using Dr. Dennis Gross' Alpha Beta Peels in extra strength and they are amazing. Pricey, but I have truly noticed a difference in my skin--smaller pores, fine lines gone, dark spots fading. I'm hooked.

• Love 1

I have been home for a very long time awaiting and then recovering from hip replacement surgery. I watch a lot of makeup tutorials on YouTube. A British makeup artist, Wayne Goss (he has a website) said that you shouldn't smile and dab your blusher in the "apple" of your cheek. He said that when you aren't smiling, your cheeks go back to their original position and the blusher is now down below your nose. I tried it and it makes sense. He said to sweep the blush in a line starting from your ear and ending at your nose on top of the cheekbone.

I've always applied blusher the "correct" way. Last year I decided to try it the smile/apple way, and got compliment after compliment on my blusher each time I'd wear it that way. Go figure!

For eye makeup, I use Lancôme's Bi-Facil.

For other makeup, it's usually Estee Lauder's Take it All Away makeup remover. I sometimes use the Olay cleansing cloths.

I got a sample of the Shu Uemura cleansing oil (the green antioxidant one) and was impressed. I am trying it out. You warm it up in your hands, put it on your face, add water and makeup just dissolves.

I've always put on foundation and blush before my eye make up. But I've heard that you put you eye make up on first. Which way is correct?

Depending on the brand of eye makeup, some people prefer to put on the shadow first, especially if there is a lot of fall out, where you get the dust sprinkles all over your face, especially just below your eye and at the top of your cheek. If you already have on your foundation, it makes it very difficult to get the eyeshadow off without ruining the rest of your makeup. Of course, if your eyeshadow doesn't do that, tour good either way. Urban Decay shadow, which I typically use, is notorious for fallout!
  • Love 2

In a pinch, Starbucks napkins make excellent blotting paper. No fibres.

My go to free blotters are Taco Bell napkins!  Actually any brown napkins work.  Whenever I see them, I grab a bunch to leave in the glove compartment of my car and my bag.

• Love 1

I've always put on foundation and blush before my eye make up. But I've heard that you put you eye make up on first. Which way is correct?

I always start with my day moisturize and wait at least 15 minutes for it to be completely absorbed by my skin.  I’ll then apply my face and eye primer.  While I wait for that to dry, I will do my eyebrows and then apply eye shadow.  Once that’s done I’ll apply eyeliner, mascara, and then finally foundation or CC cream.  If necessary I'll finish with a powder (especially to set the eye makeup).

If I'm going for a "no make-up look" I still apply the day cream and CC Cream to protect the skin and apply my eyebrows (which are mostly gone).

My go to free blotters are Taco Bell napkins!  Actually any brown napkins work.  Whenever I see them, I grab a bunch to leave in the glove compartment of my car and my bag.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who does that ..... I blot my foundation/CC Cream about 15 minutes after application and before applying powder .... little trick that keeps my makeup set.

I don't know that any one way is more correct than the other, but I've always done eye makeup first, then foundation, after someone at Sephora told me that if you get mascara or eyeliner "dust" under or around your eye, you can always fix it with the foundation or concealer, and that it's a bigger pain to fix your foundation if you get mascara on it.  

Yeah, I don't have time for that.

I don't even want to take the time to watch the whole video. I started it, but couldn't stand the way she keeps looking like she wants to kiss the camera. And I want to brush the hair off the sides of her face.

I think I've only done that much contouring when I've been doing stage makeup. Under lights and from a distance, it doesn't look so weird.

I also think she looks better without the makeup, especially her eyebrows.

• Love 2

I also think she looks better without the makeup, especially her eyebrows.

I concur, but then again, I wear barely any make up. I went to the video maker's blog and she is apparently 21. The makeup makes her look much older than that.

The whole Youtube beauty phenomenon is definitely an interesting one.

I'm taking the contouring plunge. Maybe it's more like a wading pool? I like The Small Things blog/YouTube videos for makeup and she's done a couple on contouring. She manages to make it look easy and not too made up. She has a lighter hand than most people I've seen. I bought the Tarte contouring kit to give it a try.

• Love 1

Has anyone ever attempted to try contouring and highlighting like you see in make up tutorials? It looks so time consuming.

A woman at work apparently tried it.  It may look OK in a restaurant or club, but in the office, under fluorescent lights, it was garish and very fake looking. 

• Love 1

Now I wish I had you all around me in a fluorescent-lit room before I go out in public with it! I still haven't tried a whole-face contour; I only used the highlighter, blush and illuminator that came in my kit. All three were very nice and not too overdone. I'm hesitating on the dark contouring color which I think is where it could all go very wrong.

I don't use sponges. I have a couple of foundation brushes.

I use my fingers for the most part. My current foundations (EL Perfectionist and Armani Luminous Silk, plus Armani Maestro) have pumps or droppers. For a more natural look, I don't use the brush. For evening, moreso. I used the brush more when I had a foundation that didn't have a pump dispenser. Too gloopy and messy. Too easy to get bacteria from my fingers in to the bottle, too easy for the foundation to oxidize. Found it much more hygienic and it's easier to wash the brush than spend a lot of money on sponges that you throw out.