Type keyword(s) to search

Perfume & Cologne Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm currently rotating between Dior Miss Cherie for day and Dior Midnight Poison for night. I bought one of those samples of five Dior perfumes at duty free and trying to use it now. I used up J'adore very quickly. I did like it, but I am always wary of wearing popular scents too much. I recently also finished a small roll on of Stella McCartney for Her.

I rarely buy a big bottle of perfume because it takes forever to use up now. I only do about one or two sprays a day and now that many places are scent free, I tend to avoid it as well.

I'm big on men's frangrances too and wore Prada Infusion D'Homme for years. I liked Chanel Plantinum Egoiste, but it's been discontinued. These days, I like the YSL one.

• Love 1

Oh jeez. I have waaaayyyy to much perfume. I switch out pretty much daily, but most of my tend to be musky, heavier scents. MY favorites  (right  now at least)are Van Cleef & Arpel First (permanent list), Givenchy Very Irresistible and Tom Ford Black Orchid.  I also tend towards Arpege and Coco, though I do have a current affinity for Tocca Stella and fresh Brown Sugar.

• Love 2

Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace and Versace Bright Crystal are some of my favorites, but they're way too expensive for everyday. The Marc Jacobs Dot rollerball is my go-to everyday.

Also, can we put some sort of trigger lock on Axe? Like, more than two or three sprays and the canister won't spray anymore.

• Love 3

Also, can we put some sort of trigger lock on Axe? Like, more than two or three sprays and the canister won't spray anymore.

Heh.

I don't think I've ever smelled that particular Bond No. 9 scent.

I love Creed Imperial Millesime. It's a pain, trying to find discounted, legitimate stock that isn't too old and even then it's an investment. I've tried Creed's other unisex offerings but have never stuck with them for long.

I've been meaning to try CB I Hate Perfume's different scents. Supposedly Lavender Tea and In the Library are good introductions and I vaguely remember Christopher Brosius being featured on a BBC news show a few years back. I'm also curious about his scent Wet Pavement London.

• Love 1

I rotate between Classique X, Honey, Chloe, and Parisian as my day-to-day scents, but my nighttime go-to is Elizabeth and James Black. I get compliments every time I wear it.

I've been wanting to try Tom Ford's Black Orchid, but I haven't gotten around to getting a sample from Sephora.

I love Tory Burch's perfume, but it doesn't last very long on me. I'm also a fan of FlowerBomb and Hermes Eau de Merveilles.

I love rose scents, so I'm on the hunt for a new one and recently tried Jo Malone's Red Roses but it seemed oddly like bug spray on me!

I love Tory Burch's perfume, but it doesn't last very long on me. I'm also a fan of FlowerBomb and Hermes Eau de Merveilles.

I love rose scents, so I'm on the hunt for a new one and recently tried Jo Malone's Red Roses but it seemed oddly like bug spray on me!

Maybe you'd like Annick Goutal's Rose Absolue. It is supposed to be a blend of coveted cultivars and does remind me of a rose garden.

Also, it is not a scent per se but I like Boots Botanics Rosewater toner. It uses Damask rosewater but doesn't have a heavy "ladies who lunch" feel.

• Love 1

I have way too many perfumes. I usually buy rollerballs since I tend to be a little sporadic in what I use.

Right now, I am really liking Nirvana Black and Armani Code for women. It is a mix of honey, jasmine, and ginger. Normally jasmine smells really wonky on me, but the honey makes it smell sweet and the ginger gives it kind of a fun fizziness if that makes sense.

My all around faves are Burberry Brit for fall and winter, Dolce And Gabbana Light Blue for summer, Stella, and Amazing Grace for when I want something subtle.

I want to try Black Orchid and Tobacco Vanille so badly, but with my collection I can't justify spending the money on them right now.

Edited by Janet Snakehole

Anyone here NOT wear scents at all (besides lightly scented lotions)? 

I don't.  My husband doesn't like them, so when we moved in together 22 years ago, I stopped wearing perfume.  I do use Victoria's Secret vanilla body lotion.  He seems to be okay with that.  And I like it.

• Love 1

Love Eau des Merveilles and rose scents too. Try Paul Smith's Rose, it's absolutely lovely. Didn't think much of it on the thingy they spay perfume on in shops, but on my skin it was gorgeous and very much a feel-good-smell.

• Love 1

I rarely wear anything scented (perfumes, lotions, etc.) and if I do, it is almost always something from Philosophy.  I find that I have adverse reactions ranging from hives to migraines to most anything with a scent - sometimes it's the actual smell that sets me off (especially overly floral notes) and sometimes it's the carrier (type of oil base).  I discovered years ago that Philosophy brand does trigger hives or migraines, so I stick almost exclusively with their Grace lines of scented lotions and perfumes.

• Love 1

I have had the problem that when i find a scent I like, after not too long a time, I develop a dislike to it.  

I have a few scents from Bath & body  that I like, I use body spray and lotion, but I try scents on at stores, and wear them a few hours before I decide to purchase - Mainly to make sure I'm not allergic.   Even then, I get tired of the scent fairly quickly. 

and some scents - usually ones that are described as "warm"  with amber - smell bad to me - like sweat.  

FlowerBOMB!! Also, Jo Malone Blue Agave.

I don't know if Bath & Body Works still makes it, but Sensual Amber always smelled like a less intense version of FlowerBomb to me. I used to mix them. The B&BW lotion & body wash were so much less expensive I could be kind of indulgent with them. I even had some of those room scented plug in things & once a guy I dated told me that my entire house had a slight lingering scent of me & he thought it was sexy. Ha! I never told.

I used to like Lancome's Tresor but after a few years I got bored with it.

• Love 1

Me. I find that most fragrances make my nose stuffy and I can't breathe.

I wandered into this topic to ask if there's a polite way to ask someone (a young co-worker) to not wear perfume. I find that young girls wear way too much. They haven't learned the art of spritzing the air and walking into the mist.

Let the supervisor handle it. Tell him/her that it is a concern both because of the over abundance ( very important if you deal with the public or clients) and your own health concerns. Make sure to note that a more modest amount, similar to what other co-workers use, is not a concern for you.

• Love 1

I wear Armani Code for fancy times, but am a huge fan of BPAL.  They have a line based on Labyrinth and I will pretty much buy anything Bowie-related, so I wear Jareth and Hoggle a lot.

• Love 1

I rarely wear anything scented (perfumes, lotions, etc.) and if I do, it is almost always something from Philosophy. I find that I have adverse reactions ranging from hives to migraines to most anything with a scent - sometimes it's the actual smell that sets me off (especially overly floral notes) and sometimes it's the carrier (type of oil base). I discovered years ago that Philosophy brand does trigger hives or migraines, so I stick almost exclusively with their Grace lines of scented lotions and perfumes.

I have some Philosophy lotions and when I wear it my coworker said it smells like incense.

One particular body scent bothers me.  Many women wear it and I don't know what it is.

I have been the victim of a fake 'perfume' allergy at my workplace.

Current scents are Balenciaga, Tom Ford Violet Blonde (sadly, discontinued), Tom Ford Velvet Orchid, B Balenciaga, Tom Ford Noir (Femme), Narciso Rodriguez (a scent I have worn for years), Narciso Musc for Her (special occasion). Assorted samples. I do like the Prada Iris and Candy scents too. Along with Valentina from Valentino.

• Love 1

We have similar tastes ^ at least right now. I really like Narciso Rodriguez I was surprised. Prada Candy is likable but fades on me fast. I am enjoying the Tom Ford scents. They have a mysterious quality.

I have a tendency or body chemistry that many scents will become powdery or softer or baby smell. Oriental or spicy ones often "tone" down on me. Florals sometimes get more sweet or something.

I did try Chloe recently and straight up it smelled like bug spray on me. It has to smell better on others otherwise it wouldn't be a classic! But on me bad. I tried it 3 x days apart.

Petunia13, I've lucked out at Costco recently and found both the Balenciaga and Narciso perfumes at half price or less.

I work downtown and am near the shops, so I sample at lunchtime. The new Givenchy one is all right on me, as is the new Miu Miu and Marc Jacobs Decadence. I have liked most Prada. I wasn't too keen on Alaia, but maybe I'll give it another spritz or two. I also do some tests at Sephora. And hunt around Winners/TJ Maxx/Marshalls for deals on gift sets. The more expensive Tom Ford perfumes are mostly available through special order here, although one of our shops will be getting a small amount of his makeup line and we do see some of the scents around holiday time.

Fragrance is a tough market as many new scents are discontinued within a year or so. Many workplaces also have scent policies. I don't wear a lot of scent, but....

Many scents don't work for me either. They do smell good on other people. People have tried some of my fragrances and on them, they amount to bug spray. Like most Chanel perfumes. I like the makeup but the fragrances do nothing for me except stink!

• Love 1

The Bay here had a 10% cosmetics and fragrance discount last weekend (part of Canadian Black Friday). I picked up the Gucci Guilty mini fragrance sprays for around $36 (regular price $62 but on sale for $39 for 'Black Friday'.

On a recent trip, I bought the Esenctric Molcules 01 fragrance. Description from Lucky Scent:

This fragrance, however, is the first to to pay homage to Iso E Super, which you probably know as a sweet sandalwood/cedar-like smell. Because Molecule 01 is an aroma chemical rather than a perfume, it behaves differently. You have to wear it to understand it. If you have a bottle Molecule and feel that it smells of nothing, be patient. Keep using it. The velvety woody note is highly sensitive to body chemistry and twists and turns as it evolves, combining with the wearers' own natural scent to create an extraordinary alluring quality.

I've tried this on myself and two others. It smells different on all of us. The underlying wood is mostly there, but it would transform into something woodier, muskier, or in my case, more creamy smelling depending on the wearer. I really like this scent and its uniqueness, but my biggest gripe about it (not counting the availability issue) is that it has a very weak staying power. It lasts at most 2-4 hours and then it's gone completely. I generally prefer Eau de Parfums for similar reasons.

In any case, this is my favourite winter scent at the moment, and I'll be sad when I run out of my small 30ml bottle. That won't take long due to the need for respraying. 

• Love 1

It's been years since I've used scents, though I do like to use lightly scented soaps and lotions, usually something citrusy (lemon verbena is a favorite). Occasionally I'll get something custom scented at a local shop, Body Time. I'm currently using a lotion from there scented with neroli and grapefruit oils, a nice citrus-floral blend.

I love some of Hermes summer scents, such as Eau d'Orange Verte and Jardins sur le Toit, but they really don't last long. Anyone knows if stronger versions exist?

No, I think both of them come only in EDT. Most of the Hermes summer fragrances are complex and lovely, but they aren't strong in the way other commercial perfumes are. I think from the Jardin line, the "...apres la Mousson" one is the strongest. You'll see more perfume versions and stronger scents from their standard women fragrance line like "24, Fauborug".

I love some of Hermes summer scents, such as Eau d'Orange Verte and Jardins sur le Toit, but they really don't last long. Anyone knows if stronger versions exist?

I know this isn't answering your question but have you ever tried any of the Jo Malone scents?

Thanks for your answers.

Athena, luckily I also love Eau des Merveilles, which has an EDP version. I don't think I've ever tested 24, Faubourg but I'll look it up.

Frozendiva, what I great idea to look into bath and body lotions, yes, I think they all have them.

Lastly, Petunia13, no, I'm not familiar at all with any Jo Malone scent. Something seems to be missing in my olfactory knowledge :)

• Love 1

HELP! Can anyone recommend a perfume that smells like old-school suntan lotion but is 100% cruelty-free (or just make a recommendation, and I'll do the research on the rest). Beach by Bobbi Brown (no, not THAT Bobby Brown) and Suntan Lotion by Demeter, while absolutely perfect scentwise, are not options. Thanks in advance if you can help a lady who love, love, loves that smell so much that I could cry!

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Can anyone recommend a perfume that smells like old-school suntan lotion but is 100% cruelty-free (or just make a recommendation, and I'll do the research on the rest).

You'll have to research yourself, but the designer says he only tests his scents on himself and that he does not use animal products.

Assuming you're in the US, there are at least two online sellers of decanters that will sell samples for cheaper than the official CB site. Message me if you need links.

• Love 1
(edited)

WHOOOOOOO, THANKS! I actually might have a sample of that already; the "1966" part sounds so familiar! Oy, I am so dumb! 

I wish I could get solid confirmation on the practices and policies of Demeter because it has such unique stuff--Old Paperback, Thunderstorm (which is great mixed with Suntan Lotion), Pure Soap (so nice on a guy), Black Pepper (nice with a fruity accent), Gin & Tonic...

Edited by TattleTeeny

Christopher Brosius was behind many of Demeter's scents but I don't really know the backstory. For their part, Demeter says they and their suppliers don't test on animals but based on your posts I'm guessing you've also heard otherwise.