Type keyword(s) to search

Perfume & Cologne Discussion

• Start Topic

I have worn Shalimar since I was a little girl. A bottle was missed by my parents when they were taking all of her belongings out of the house after she was killed in a vehicular accident. (They said later it was too painful to have reminders) I secretly put away a shirt they had missed (still have it hanging in my closet) and the half used bottle of Shalimar.  I have been wearing it now for over 50 years! Almost exclusively. There used to be a lemon scented spray I liked years ago but I haven't seen it in ages and I would like to find one that smells like baby powder (I may or may not like it). The coolest perfumes I've ever gotten were when I visited the Salvatore Dali museum in Florida. They gave me 6-8 (I'd have to go count) samples of Dali's perfumes put into little bottles (some weirdly shaped) that I still have but have never opened. Neat collectors pieces I think. 

43 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I would like to find one that smells like baby powder (I may or may not like it).

Do they still make Love's Baby Soft? Classic baby powder-adjacent, entry-level fragrance for girls (in fact, I think it was the first perfume I had, a gift from a relative). 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

Do they still make Love's Baby Soft? Classic baby powder-adjacent, entry-level fragrance for girls (in fact, I think it was the first perfume I had, a gift from a relative). 

Still made, but by a different company. I received that as a present from a relative one Christmas when I was a teen, too ['80s]. I think it's a rite of passage or something!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Still made, but by a different company. I received that as a present from a relative one Christmas when I was a teen, too ['80s]. I think it's a rite of passage or something!

Is it still called by the same name? Thx

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yep, Love's Baby Soft, with a bright pink lid. Used to be made by a company called Mem, long gone, now made by a company called Dana. Still have part of my now ancient bottle and knew someone with the scent by the current company, and it still smells identical to me.

Edited by WendyCR72
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Thank you for the information!! 

You're welcome! For the record, I believe BOTH versions can be found on eBay, but you'll obviously pay more for the original Mem formula. It really is very powdery, if, as said, entry level. But if powder is what you're after, I think you'll love it.

An eBay listing for the Mem version/packaging [what I still have!].

An eBay listing for the newer Dana formula.

Edited by WendyCR72
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have worn Shalimar since I was a little girl. A bottle was missed by my parents when they were taking all of her belongings out of the house after she was killed in a vehicular accident. (They said later it was too painful to have reminders) I secretly put away a shirt they had missed (still have it hanging in my closet) and the half used bottle of Shalimar.  I have been wearing it now for over 50 years! Almost exclusively. There used to be a lemon scented spray I liked years ago but I haven't seen it in ages and I would like to find one that smells like baby powder (I may or may not like it). The coolest perfumes I've ever gotten were when I visited the Salvatore Dali museum in Florida. They gave me 6-8 (I'd have to go count) samples of Dali's perfumes put into little bottles (some weirdly shaped) that I still have but have never opened. Neat collectors pieces I think. 

I love Shalimar (and Loves Baby Soft from the other post). I really like the older, heavier perfumes. 

• Love 2
On 6/30/2017 at 4:30 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Yes it is. I have a couple of the mini spray bottles. I always loved that it smelled like pink pencil erasers. 

• Love 1

I bought Kat Von D perfume Sinner today. They don't have it in my local Sephora stores so I bought the purse size atomizer to test it out. The description said it's cinnamon, spicy, floral, and musk so seems like a warm scent. I have the opposite problem of some of you. My body chemistry brings out a lot of powdery notes to fragrances many high end ones sometimes end up having that baby powder smell on me and I like complex or mysterious. 

Are you joking me? Elizabeth & James just came out with 2 new perfumes. Nirvana French Grey and Nirvana Amethyst and they both sound sexy and elegant af. 

I just bought KVD sinner and saint rollerballs. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Are you joking me? Elizabeth & James just came out with 2 new perfumes. Nirvana French Grey and Nirvana Amethyst and they both sound sexy and elegant af. 

I just bought KVD sinner and saint rollerballs. 

Sometimes I'm convinced that between buying their Walmart beauty line when I was a kid, and buying Elizabeth and James perfumes now, I'm responsible for at least a third of the Olsen's net worth.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

@Princess Sparkle they do such a good job! I just asked Sephora if they'll do a point perks or VIB/Rouge promo for the new scents.

I expect new fall perfume around my bday and need an idea of what's good. My dog is so sweet and crafty he usually surprises me with one. How he gets to Sephora and back and earns his money is none of my business. 

• Love 4

Elizabeth & James Nirvana French Grey smells amahzing.

Their other new on, Nirvana Amethyst, smells good too if you want a light feminine natural floral with honeysuckle - that's your jam. The French Grey is super unique and sexy, but not heavy. It's subtly unisex and exotic but has a touch of sweetness. It's slightly addictive like if you take a whiff, you're left wanting more. My pupper got me a perfume already for my bday but this one I need in my life. 

I wish Sephora sold Annick Goutal so I could get samples. I still haven't started wearing perfume on a regular basis. The few bottles I own have mostly been untouched since I bought them years ago.

I finally found a new (to me, anyway) perfume I like after getting samples with an order from Ulta. Now I am trying to decide if I really want to spend that kind of money. I do, but I ought to be saving money.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, auntlada said:

I finally found a new (to me, anyway) perfume I like after getting samples with an order from Ulta. Now I am trying to decide if I really want to spend that kind of money. I do, but I ought to be saving money.

I don't shop Ulta but they do specials fairly often with Gift w purchase. What is the perfume name? You may be able to find it less elsewhere or get it during a promo event at dept store. Perfume is a nice thing to have. Even if you are a bit sloppy or drab that morning, perfume can give an aura of mystery and it makes you feel pretty or pulled together all day. When I was a girl I always associated it with money and being a woman. There's always a person you knew that just smells like money or glam.

After I left my ex I had nothing and had to rebuild my life, when I had money for perfume and felt good enough about myself to purchase some it was a big step. There is an aromatic benefit to the wearer, you aren't just donning it to please others, but you and you deserve that. It's like guiltfree ice cream or a silent affirmation. 

I cannot get that French Grey perfume out of my head. It's so likable. 

• Love 2

Calvin Klein Deep Euphoria. I've checked prices at different places. They are all about the same. I got two samples and liked both, but this one better. I let my husband smell both on my wrist, and he really liked this one. It's not too flowery. I don't like flowery scents in perfumes or candles.

I work at a big grocery store. Like 1/3 of my coworkers have issues with bathing, that greasy hair stink, or wiping properly so that when their shirt gets untucked it doesn't reveal a skid mark.

I've never had any complaints about my scent and would fucking dare someone to complain. 

• Love 2

I love scents, but there are sincerely those who may have bad asthma. I think it's as simple of knowing the people you interact with.

On another note, I just bought the E&J Nirvana French Grey rollerball on Sephora's site last night. Really looking forward to it and hope I'm not disappointed!

I ordered something from Sephora so I got a sample of Elizabeth and James Nirvana Rose. Positive: A lot of perfumes react weirdly with my body chemistry/oils/sweat/whatever and end up smelling terrible on my skin. This one does not. It takes a little while to settle on me but then it's not terrible. Negative: To me it smells more like a home fragrance or a masculine fragrance. It has a smoky (like incense not like BBQ or fireplaces) and spicy quality that's different from what I normally wear. 

I think I'm still more of a jasmine/gardenia kind of person. I like a heavy floral. 

On 6/28/2017 at 9:06 AM, Jac said:

I love Dior's Eau Sauvage (the original 1966 one, not the 2014 Sauvage update) and Estee Lauder's White Linen. I also have an presumably inexpensive Italian scent that I don't know much about called Limone that my mom got me when she went to Italy last year, it is lovely, similar to Eau Sauvage but with the citrus notes turned up to 11. I want a couple of the Jo Malone scents but I can't decide which. I love woody/leathery scents too and I like that profile in the Jo Malone scents. I am not big on heavy florals or overly powdery scents as a general rule. 

I had forgotten about White Linen!  Thanks for reminding me.  I night check it out again.  I haven't used it in years.  I have a hard time finding something that I really like.  I have sensitivity to MANY fragrances, especially, if they are too sweet.  I can't take many of the new sweet smells.  Not for me.  I tend to like earthy fragrances, but, those are limited and can be too strong.  

Any Dior fans here?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I had forgotten about White Linen!  Thanks for reminding me.  I night check it out again.  I haven't used it in years.  I have a hard time finding something that I really like.  I have sensitivity to MANY fragrances, especially, if they are too sweet.  I can't take many of the new sweet smells.  Not for me.  I tend to like earthy fragrances, but, those are limited and can be too strong.  

Any Dior fans here?

Love Dune and Poison by Dior. Poison was my first grown up perfume.

32 minutes ago, Girlydiva53 said:

Love Dune and Poison by Dior. Poison was my first grown up perfume.

I haven't tried Dune.  I heard that they have a new fragrance.  I just get so frustrated when I go shopping, since, there are so many options and I end up being disappointed. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Oh gosh White Linen!  I used to LOVE White Linen!

I mostly like fresh clean scents, and I've found they can be hard to find...and they don't seem to last as long (at least for me). For the most part, I don't like anything that has warmth or sweetness..

I do love Joy and Chanel # 5...but I don't wear them as often as I once did.  I do like Chanel's variations of # 5 - Eau Premiere and L'Eau, and I wear those more than the original.

I also love Aqua di Parma and wish it was longer lasting for me. 

I like several of the Atelier colognes, right now my favs are Bergamote Soleil, Pomélo Paradis and Cedrat Enivrant.

I discovered Bulgari's Au Thé Vert at a hotel, but I found the body wash scent lasts longer than the cologne spray.  It's really fresh and clean smelling.

I was knocking around a duty free shop last year, killing time, and smelled Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria line...I LOVE the Limon Verde scent and it's incredibly hard to find.  I'll take the Herba Fresca scent (Ulta does carry it) as an alternative, but I'm kicking myself for not buying a bigger bottle of the Limon Verde.  I did read somewhere that you can find the Limon Verde at Epcot Center/Disney.   I def won't be going there any time soon (ever? LOL) but I do know people that go to Disney and I could probably ask them to pick up a bottle or two for me.  :)

Edited by Kelly

I hadn't even noticed this forum existed!  French Grey is one of those scents that I keep smelling, trying to decide if i like it or not.  It has a lavender note that I like, and I'd like to find a cheaper alternative to Serge Lutens Gris Clair with a soft lavender note, interesting aromatics, and a little sweetness.

Nothing smells the same anymore!  It’s all overpowering & chemically.  I used to love Le de Givenchy.  I wear Fresh Hesperides Grapefruit, because it’s light & I don’t kill anyone with the scent.  I go for citrusy now.