Type keyword(s) to search

The Movies Vs The Show

Very much looking forward to the show.  Loved the movies.  I know Flynn Carsen will only a be a sporadic character, with the group of 4 taking over most of the duties/show.  Definitely a Warehouse 13 vibe.

• Love 1

Now that the extended promos are up there's a better sense of what the show will be.  And the episode name list is available on TNT's site - no descriptions with it but you can get an idea just with the names.

Really looking forward to it.  I think the general premise, need for multiple librarians is for some reason things that would have been blocked from our world have slipped through - going by John Larrouqettes quick promo comment "now that there's magic in the world" (or magic loose in the world, not sure).  Just hoping they don't make his character too ascerbic which could grate after awhile.

Also will have to see how it plays out in the first episodes but hoping they get to use Flynn enough - At some point he'll have to grow his Tom Mason beard which takes away from the young look that Flynn usually has (and may keep him out of episodes unless the shooting schedule gives him time from when one ends to when the other begins) but I'm wondering if they get a Season 2 will Flynn/Noah be around more since this is the last season for Falling Skies.

• Love 1

I liked the movies, fun, cheesy and entertaining. I like the show, too. From the show I get a whiff of the same kind of cheese as the old Hercules and Zena shows. It's good cheese but I would probably enjoy it more if I were younger.  Interesting that this occurred to me before I found out Bruce Campbell will be a guest.

First of all, I'd like to congratulate Leverage and Warehouse 13 on the birth of their healthy child. 

But, I've heard of the movies and never got around to seeing them. I didn't have a problem following the tv show. 

thewhiteowl said:

I liked the movies, fun, cheesy and entertaining.

Great way to sum them up.  I just finished watching the third one last night and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed all three.  Light fluff is what I like to call it.  They didn't take themselves too seriously and all the actors looked like they were having a blast!

I'm going to spoiler mark this just in case : 

what happens to the guardian for him after the first movie?  He doesn't appear to get another one until one is recruited for the series.  On a fun note, for a "geek" he's getting a lot of action! 

Not spoiler can I say he's wearing a really cute t-shirt in the third movie that says reads "I love pie" but with a heart and the symbol for pi.

Is Noah Wyle's character in this new series?

He's a recurring character. John Rogers' blog says they couldn't have had him as a lead even if the schedule had worked; there are rules about having the same actor as a lead in two series at once.

He's a recurring character. John Rogers' blog says they couldn't have had him as a lead even if the schedule had worked; there are rules about having the same actor as a lead in two series at once.

What is the other series in which he has a lead? 

What is the other series in which he has a lead? 

Falling Skies. Working around that schedule is why they were so rushed on the pilot; they had 5 weeks prep time where the norm is a couple of months.

Rogers' blog is here: http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com - back in the Leverage days he was pretty good about answering questions for the first half of the season, and then time gets away from him :)

...there are rules about having the same actor as a lead in two series at once.

That seems kind of stupid. Shouldn't an actor be allowed to work?

Falling Skies.

Do *not* watch this show. If you're all like, oh I like NW, I'll check him out in this show. No. Do not. 

• Love 1

And what about that other actor who is out of work because NW has two jobs? Not that I necessarily disagree, but think of it this way - if NW could be in both shows, chances are pretty good they'd have to decide they didn't need Christian Kane (just as an example)at all and as much as I like NW, I love CK.  It's a rule I can live with.

That's not NW's fault though. If an actor is available to work, why shouldn't they be allowed to work? You're not restricted in how many jobs you can have in the real world just because someone else might need those jobs. Pete Campbell's wife on Mad Men is a main character on Community, so it's not like this isn't some thing that happens. 

Clearly, being on Falling Skies is NW's main job and I'm sure he worked out his contract to be able to do that and recur here. I question that there's actual rules against working than there is, hey, you're signed on for the duration on Falling Skies, so if you want to work on The Librarians, it's going to have to be recurring as long as we're still on the air. That doesn't necessarily preclude him from working. 

It seems like a stupid American thing because you watch UK tv and every actor in the country is on every single show. 

Clearly, being on Falling Skies is NW's main job and I'm sure he worked out his contract to be able to do that and recur here.

Plus, NW is also an executive producer on this series.  So I'm sure he is making good money despite only playing a recurring character.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

If I had to guess I'd assume it's because producers want their leads to be completely available for whatever filming schedule they need. And not sure if you're US based or not, but with many shows having 22 episode seasons (though shorter seasons and "half-season" blocks are becoming more common) there's a good chance filming would overlap.

I'm just quoting John Rogers - you can ask on his blog (http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com ), but he's at the stage of a season where the answer posts tend to be greatly delayed :)

It's only leads, though, otherwise Mark Sheppard wouldn't be everywhere - speaking of whom, Rogers has said they'd love to get him if they can.

• Love 1

Back on topic, I've not seen any of the movies or episodes, but I have recorded everything (except for the two episodes I missed). My plan was to watch the movies during the summer, when most of my regular shows are on hiatus, then watch the series. From what I remember reading, the movies were more "Indiana Jones" and the series is way more supernatural/borderline horror.

Is that correct?

Sort of? I mean, the movies were definitely more epic quest than artifact of the week, but I think the most striking difference was that in the the movies, Noah Wylie's character had pretty much no inner life and a minimal backstory (he's a mama's boy and an overeducated nerd who became badass when he got a job and started having sex), and he got a series of guardians who, after some initial coolness, fell for him like a ton of bricks in shithouse form.

We probably know almost as much about the current librarians as we do about Flynn at this point. I think character is going to be a much bigger deal in the series. John Rogers and his team are really good at that.

Sort of? I mean, the movies were definitely more epic quest than artifact of the week, but I think the most striking difference was that in the the movies, Noah Wylie's character had pretty much no inner life and a minimal backstory (he's a mama's boy and an overeducated nerd who became badass when he got a job and started having sex), and he got a series of guardians who, after some initial coolness, fell for him like a ton of bricks in shithouse form.

(emphasis by me) Have to do a bit of nitpicking maybe, but think it is important enough to clarify. Seen that now a couple of times, but there was no row of guardians, there was one guardian introduced in the first movie (Nicole Noone, played by Sonya Walger), who didn't return in the second movie, but it was never explained what happened to her. Flynn was helped in the second movie by an archeologist he met on the way (Emily Davenport, who with her five degrees would have probably qualified for librarian but had no notable fighting or strategic skills; character was played by Gabrielle Anwar), and in the third movie Simone Renoir (played by Stana Katic) was no guardian either. It was as well pretty much said on the show, that Flynn had had no guardian in 10 years - and the first movie premiered ten years ago. There was no guardian between Nicole Noone and Eve Baird as far what the movies and the shows have shown / told so far. It is interesting, that in the Alternative Universes Baird had been the guardian for the past ten years until killed in those timelines, just not for Flynn.

Don't see that much of a difference between movies and show other than the movies revolved solely around Flynn and the Library while we now have a team - which makes some sense, because, sorry, a TV show just with Flynn as the big lead with some helpers, sidekicks, and guest stars would not work that well in my opinion. Think they made a really good choice to make it more of an ensemble, team show.

From what I remember reading, the movies were more "Indiana Jones" and the series is way more supernatural/borderline horror.

Is that correct?

I would say, the Indiana Jones franchise could be called some supernatural/borderline horror adventure even (but I am someone laughing inappropriately in most horror movies) I find the show actually less bordering horror so far than the movies, exception maybe the house episode (Heart of Darkness). The second movie, Return to King Solomon's Mines has some horror elements in it, the third movie has elements of one of the horror classics with Dracula playing a role.

I see your point. I should have said one guardian and two women who were stronger,more competent, and better informed about the situation who tried to keep him safe while they fell for him like a ton of bricks in shithouse form but didn't have the title. My bad.

Edited by Julia

So I finally got around to watching the movies. I get the thing in the S2 finale about wielding Cal now. Still would have liked it to be Eve. 

I have to say that I very much prefer the tv show. Although, I am a "team" type of person. The reason I liked SG1  for example was because the main four worked together, relied on one another's skills, and respected each other too. Much like what the show has become, and what Leverage was like.

I really don't care for movie-Flynn. He's too arrogant imo. Or condescending. It's kind of funny that he actually has to fly everywhere. How can you get anything done with so much travel time? The show made a smart move by coming up with the door idea. 

I also think Flynn/Eve is kind of squicky now, even though I wasn't much for their pairing in the first place. I assume Noone was the Guardian in the first movie, and he was basically slobbering all over her. In hindsight, it seems like Flynn thinks he's entitled to bed the Guardian. 

I didn't like the overtly religious themes of the movies either. On tv, religious themes tend to be overly western-based, and that's kind of boring. There's plenty of other religious artifacts that would be cool. One of the things that I think was smart about Sleepy Hollow S3, is that they've drawn on other apocalytpic myths than western.

I did like Bob Newhart though.