Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

Sonny has been a good husband to Will, and he has taken on to much responsibility in the relationship.  I want Sonny to ditch Will, and get so much deserved pay back against Will, but I don't know if the writers will let that happen.

I don’t believe the writers (any of the several different regimes over the years) had a clue about what they were doing with EJ and Sami.

I think James Scott the actor was what made so many fans like EJ the character, and AS/JS did have great chemistry.  However, once they had EJ rape Sami, they never should have had them be a couple.

AS and JS were the ones who wrote the scenes where EJ and Sami talk about EJ raping Sami, Sami tells EJ what she did to Austin, and Sami forgive EJ because Austin forgave her, and she doesn’t want to hate Johnny’s father.  That’s where it should have ended.

Sami and Lucas could have finally got to be happily married for a few years at least with EJ in the background doing whatever with Stefano, but Sami/Lucas and the children would be off limits.  Or they could have kept Sami with Rafe.  I thought it was strange that after 2007, and everything Sami/Lucas/EJ went through that it became Sami/Rafe, Lucas/Chloe, EJ/Nicole.

Anyway instead of any of those options, the writers continued to have EJ/Sami do horrible violent things to each other, had EJ rape Sami again with Fake Rafe, paired them up as a couple, had EJ do horrible things to Sami even when he had what he claimed he always wanted, and ended EJ’s SL pretending that EJ loved Sami.  WTF?????

AMC did a rape SL years ago which was handled really well.  Ray Gardner raped Ruth Martin.  It was something that came up years later for both Tad and Jenny (Ray's children) to deal with.  Tad was adopted and raised by Joe and Ruth Martin, and Jenny came to town later with her mother.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 8

I think most soaps have done a well-written rape story. At least once... possibly more than once... but, unfortunately, somewhere in the late 90s it turned into a plot point and with some writers a damned fetish. Luke/Laura muddied the waters. Roger/Holly handled it well despite the two of them falling in love again later, Holly still bore the scars from that incident and Roger was never made into a romantic hero. He was dark until the end. Todd Manning also remained a pariah to the majority of the town he lived in on OLTL. And even though the writer who penned the Todd/Marty rape did that part of it well, he also had seriously disgusting ideas about wanting to pair them together. He denies it now but it was very clear where he was wanting to go and it was the actors involved (particularly Howarth who left the show) that fought against it more than anything else. I think Eden's rape on Santa Barbara was another that was handled like the violent crime it was. Jack and Kayla is another that was handled well and they have allowed Kayla to always be uneasy around Jack afterwards. And GH even did one where Liz was raped... the only thing is that it was meant to be an anonymous predator and they wound up tying it up with a little bow later on... also that brought the Luke/Laura stuff into the light for their son.

Now? It's used too often, too flippantly, too many writers want to shock viewers and then totally go back on it when they decide they like a character or think they've got chemistry with someone or just want to take a character from a horrible place and then turn them into a hero. And that's been an issue for about 20 years now.

• Love 5

Corday hated the EJ and Sami pairing. Days never had long term plans in regards to them, EJ was suppose to have been short-term Lumi angst (then killed off shortly after). They wanted Sami to be the "heroine" and Sami "to make the ultimate sacrifice for love". I'm sure that Hogan Sheffer article is out there somewhere. Could only find this little blurb.

Sami "really needs to grow up" says Sheffer so she will switch into heroine mode where she makes the ultimate sacrifice for love. He wants Lucas and Sami as a comedic team. His instruction is : make them Nick and Nora Charles.

Sami at the time had been blackmailing Lexie and had her tell Carrie her kids with Austin would be deformed. Carrie chose Lucas and Sami got Austin. Hogan ended all of that and Austin/Carrie were sent off and Lumi was the story. I don't think they were expecting the shit storm that EJami caused.

They did the same thing with Sami/Rafe, Safe's love was suppose to overcome EJ and The Dimeras. NBC stepped in at some point.

• Love 2

Corday hated the EJ and Sami pairing. Days never had long term plans in regards to them, EJ was suppose to have been short-term Lumi angst (then killed off shortly after). They wanted Sami to be the "heroine" and Sami "to make the ultimate sacrifice for love". I'm sure that Hogan Sheffer article is out there somewhere. Could only find this little blurb.

Sami at the time had been blackmailing Lexie and had her tell Carrie her kids with Austin would be deformed. Carrie chose Lucas and Sami got Austin. Hogan ended all of that and Austin/Carrie were sent off and Lumi was the story. I don't think they were expecting the shit storm that EJami caused.

They did the same thing with Sami/Rafe, Safe's love was suppose to overcome EJ and The Dimeras. NBC stepped in at some point.

Thanks for finding that blurb. Hearing how EJ was supposed to be short term makes me feel vindicated, but at the same time annoyed, because a few months of 2006 metastasized into almost eight and a half years. I think the show would have been vastly different without him. Anyway, I will always believe that JS is what made EJ so popular. It makes me wish that they had used a different actor. If EJ was ugly there is no way they would have tried to turn rape into romance.

• Love 4

I always thought that EJ was perfect for Sami before the rape and all the ugliness that came afterwards. I liked that Sami got a guy that loved her for her and did not use her like a placeholder for Carrie like Austin and Lucas...I hated that Corday trashed that coupling because he disliked them.  That is the problem with soaps these days and why they are dying..The powers that be forget that the audience is more important than their egos. I am not saying that the audience should dictate the show's overall vision, but, they need to remember who is keeping them all employed... They should write the show with the audience in mind. The fans were loving them and they should have built from that.Ej and Sami should have been a dark power couple. Plotting and causing trouble all over Salem, while loving and supporting each other. EJ Wells understood Samantha Brady and they had a beautiful chemistry. If I was writing for them, I would have never had had them go to war with one another. All the ugliness between them made hate them as a couple. EJ should have never been a Dimera. I hate that every newbie is connected to all the core families. They should be slowly  building new families while increasing the ones that are already onscreen like the Kiriakis Family.

• Love 7

So Hot Henchman is the one who shoots Clyde. There is no way Clyde is going to let this go. I always assumed Clyde would be the one to instigate this 'war' so I'm really surprised that it is Victor. I'm sure Vic thought Damon would shoot Clyde dead but it's ridiculous that he hasn't considered the consequences if this doesn't take. Someone like Rafe would have been useful here. I feel like Victor has been acting really weird. I know Vic used to be a BAMF back in the eighties, but he has a lot more to lose now.

Seems like Tamiflu is picking up that Chad is not on the up and up.

Hate to say it, but Judgy is right. Ben needs help, but not from Abifail. Maybe Skabby likes damaged men because she gets off on molding them to her specifications?

Do ten year olds go on field trips to San Fran? And I know there are loads of people that miss them, but Shawn and Belle can stay in Tahiti.

I'm glad Ben is getting a record, at least someone on this show is getting punished for assault.

Edited by 271queenie
  • Love 3

Judgy objective?? When the hell was that ever established?

Whoever killed Aiden's wife be it Chase or Aiden, maybe one of them can snap Ciara's neck. I'm sorry to say this about a child but damn, she's forever a snot and if Hope got lawyer out of Ciara being manipulative then Hope is really naive. I got future golddigger.

Damon, while not sexy he's a looker in a bad boy type of way, if only Theresa hooked up with him instead of Electro-Shock Therapy. The fact that he shot Rapey adds to his appeal, he can come and protect me.

Rafe just annoys me for some reason. That smugness he seems to carry on and he has a tendency to want to butt into business that is of no concern to him. That's like a Horton quality and not doing him any favors at all. Would Rafe stop acting like a scorned lover Grimace left him because he cheated with Kate and yet he keeps bothering her or getting involved with Chad.

Oh Jar Jar, the jail wouldn't let you in, well she must have missed the sign. No Jar Jars allowed, learn to read dummy. Then when she approaches Chad, she looked like she was about to break down into tears as to why her Ken Doll turned into Chucky and attacked Chad. Only sound thing is Judgy saying BOllie needs help which he does.

BOllie is a good kid, when were we witness to that, the same guy who just ran up on Nick and grabbed him, punched Chad, attacked Rafe, yep that's the most wonderful human being on the planet and for Rafe to say that is just beyond lame. STFU Rafe.

Eric continues to be a little dipshit.

I'm hearing smacking and I thought that maybe someone was eating but that was Nicole and Dingy kissing like they were chomping on chips.

• Love 3

I can see Badass Victor going full on mobster, that would be awesome.

Victor used to be a full on mobster when he first joined the show.  Then he got defanged over the years.  Surprised but pleased to see if him doing really bad things again.

• Love 2

Sami "really needs to grow up" says Sheffer so she will switch into heroine mode where she makes the ultimate sacrifice for love. He wants Lucas and Sami as a comedic team. His instruction is : make them Nick and Nora Charles.

In theory, this doesn't sound like a bad idea. But he should have come up with the idea before the audience saw EJ's and Sami's chemistry, (or before a portion of the audience realized they liked JS so much, whichever came first).  The story Sheffer outlined would have been easier to execute if no one liked AS with JS (or maybe if JS looked like Sheffer). Maybe because Sheffer isn't a woman he didn't realize the female audience would get attached to someone who looks and acts like EJ???? He should have had a straight woman who has eyes advise him on this...

Edited by bantering
  • Love 4

So we found out the name of Victor's club - Edge of the Square.  Well, it's better than TBD, anyway.

I knew the snow would start covering up Clyde's body.  I wonder if Daniel will find him when he goes to play in the snow with Nicole.  And will Serena find Nicole fiddling with her laptop?  Of course she will.

Eric is one note, just like the gray clothes he wears.  God, he's boring.

• Love 1

Edge of The Square? It's slightly better than Sonny and Chad,s club but it just reminds me how previous writers were better at coming up with names like Wings the Blue Note and Shenanigans. Where I live nightclubs are mostly just one name like Oxygen for example. Why not call it Edge? That will probably be it's nickname.

• Love 3

I'm not going to have a nervous breakdown if Chad and Abigail wind up together, despite my intense dislike of her, but the show really needs to move whatever the heck is happening with this dumb triangle along.

• Love 2

Why not just call it "Square"? Like everyone in town.

Why do I get the feeling that Abby is secretly pleased that Chad and Ben were fighting over her?

Is that anything like the feeling that Chaf (Heh. Typo, but I'm leaving it in) and BOllie would rather fight with each other than be with her? 'Cause sometimes I get that feeling.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

Why do I get the feeling that Abby is secretly pleased that Chad and Ben were fighting over her?

Of course she is.

I'm not interested in seeing a mob war between Victor and that piece of vermin. Victor needs to hire a hitman who knows how to take head shots and be done with it.

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 5

I'm saddened that Clyde isn't truly dead.  Damn you, Damon!  Why can't soap henchmen ever do their jobs correctly?

Ben and Abby are beyond boring.  There is absolutely nothing appealing about them, either singularly or as a pair.  And there's something simian-looking about him.  I think's it's his ears and brow bone.  Reminds me of a toy monkey I had as a kid.  Of course it, too, was plastic.

It really sucks that CS was let go - she and BF have great chemistry. 

And isn't Carlivati, of the infamous rapemance (and almost as infamously stupid Ford brothers), head writer at General Hospital now? I'd swear it's less about the soap as form, and more like the work of the same three or four deluded codgers writing all the rape-tastic crap these days.

Yes, he's writing over there and it's as terrible as ever.  He has serious issues with women, and it's all campy plot points with no heart or soul. 

• Love 5

Of course she is.

I'm not interested in seeing a mob war between Victor and that piece of vermin. Victor needs to hire a hitman who knows how to take head shots and be done with it.

Too bad Sami's off the show. She doesn't fuck around.

• Love 9

The Kiriakis hitmen are as incompetent as the Dimera hitmen.  I still say Sami, Kate, and Nicole would make better henchwomen than any of those idiots Stefano and Victor keep hiring.  Sami always hits what she aims at.

There was a time when soaps knew to chem test new characters with different characters that were already on canvas BEFORE they wrote the new characters into a corner that would be hard to back track from.  EJ Wells with Sami Brady could have worked in 2006.  However, while the rape was bad, the writers didn't stop there, they continued to pile on.

James Scott gave an interview in early 2007 saying he thought EJ would be killed off, the rape was going to far, and it was irresponsible for the writers to have Sami alone with EJ after that.

The network wanted Ejami, Ken Corday didn't, and the resulting tug of war resulted in the horror show the fans were left with.

• Love 7

Did they change the Kiriakis mansion set?  There used to be stairs leading upstairs, a front door, and a larger living room leading to some back rooms.  Now it just looks and feels so cramped.

I think it was part of cost cutting measures.

• Love 2

Do y'all think Ken Doll would ever hit his Jar Jar Doll and make her ass deflate? Maybe writers can write a domestic violence story because Jar Jar sure as hell sounds like a battered woman with her, "I gotta help him," when Judgy said that he needs help and leave it to Jar Jar to put the focus back on herself with her needing to help her Ken Doll.

Boy did she sound like a 15 year old, "I'm not breaking up with him....I love him." Girl bye.

• Love 5

AMC did a rape SL years ago which was handled really well.  Ray Gardner raped Ruth Martin.  It was something that came up years later for both Tad and Jenny (Ray's children) to deal with.  Tad was adopted and raised by Joe and Ruth Martin, and Jenny came to town later with her mother.

That was excellently handled, and appropriately referenced over the years.  Those were the days when AMC was so good.

Now? It's used too often, too flippantly, too many writers want to shock viewers and then totally go back on it when they decide they like a character or think they've got chemistry with someone or just want to take a character from a horrible place and then turn them into a hero. And that's been an issue for about 20 years now.

I couldn't believe that on OLTL Ron C. and crew basically made Jessica's forced sexual encounters aka RAPE into something they wanted us to see as humorous.

What made me appreciate the way that AMC handled Bianca's rape that it was never glossed over, never made to be anything but horrific, and the  consequences lasted decades.  It was a glorious moment when they actually dug up the rapist's body and reburied him in the town dump.

Ben and Abby are beyond boring.  There is absolutely nothing appealing about them, either singularly or as a pair.  And there's something simian-looking about him.  I think's it's his ears and brow bone.  Reminds me of a toy monkey I had as a kid.  Of course it, too, was plastic.

Ahhhh, a sentiment of absolute beauty!  Ollie is the monkey.....and Abigail is his organ grinder.....

• Love 2

I just finished today's episode.  I'm all for keeping Victor's enforcer.  He's not bad at all.  I wish he was a better shot, but thems the breaks.  Maybe he can start dating Jenn.  There's a dark and dominatrix side to our little plaster saint, no doubt about it.  

Funny how Abigail is so much more upset about losing her Ken Doll to prison than she was when it was JJ who might have gone to jail.  She and everyone else were far more concerned about Jenn's unhappiness than they were JJ.  But I guess Abigail is really panicked about losing access to her her....uhmmmmmm....."massager", shall we call it?

When Eric was talking to Jenn - I admit I drifted off, it was so boring - but it looked like Jenn at one point poured herself a tall glass of gin and downed it in one swallow.  Sad day in Rainbow Land when Eric is too boring even for Jenn.

I don't like the smaller Kiriakis and Dimera sets.  Too pokey.

• Love 7

I like Damon - Victor's enforcer - he's pretty & has a nice accent - Too bad he didn't shoot Clyde in the head - but I can forgive him cuz he's pretty - let's hope we get more of him.

Ugh Rafe - STFU - I liked you better when you were in the coma.

I really hope Chad doesn't cave & not press charges on Bollie now that he knows that Jordan is still into him & not Rafe - I really do wish CS was staying - I do like her with Chad (especially since I don't want him with Abifail which of course is where this story is headed)

Still not sure where this Aidan story is headed - I'm assuming it will end up that either Aidan or Chase killed the wife - but have no clue if that's what's actually going to happen or if it's something completely different.

• Love 3

Calm down, Abigail, you'll get conjugal visits with Ben in prison.

I'm finding both Ben and Chad incredibly bland right now, but Rafe's smugness with Chad was stupid.

It seems like Abby is going through pre-withdrawal since her plastic sex toy is at risk of ending up in the slammer. At least she won't have far to go to track him down. Once she had a taste of EJ she had to cross land and sea to get relief.

Do these writers know how sex-crazed Abby comes across?

Edited by 271queenie
  • Love 2

Was Edge of Squaresville built on the former location of the naughty bookstore? Is Grabbigail afraid she won't be able to get another Battery-Operated boytoy? Is that why she's so panicked about BOllie being packed off to the slammer (or sent back to the manufacturer, possibly)? Maybe she didn't keep the receipt, and can't get a refund?

• Love 5

KM gave an interview to about.com about how Chad is Abby's first love and the challenge is to live around that and how Abby hasn't fully allowed herself to accept Ben's love.

If Abigail gets Chad after Jordan leaves, who does BOllie get? I always assumed it would be Melanie, but she's with Brady for now.

Since BOllie is still on the show, I'm trying to guess what he could be doing?

It really seems like they are trying to recreate EJ/Sami/Rafe with Chad/Abby/Ben.

Edited by 271queenie
  • Love 1

KM gave an interview

Of course she did.

Chad is Abby's first love and the challenge is to live around that and how Abby hasn't fully allowed herself to accept Ben's love.

Abifail doesn't care about Chad, she just doesn't want anyone else to have him. And I don't remember Abifial and Chad ever exchanging "ILY's". Once again KM is speaking nonsense. 

• Love 8

Nothing is happening her and Chad's storyline. She probably has to invent something to find something to talk about when asked to do promotion. There's literally nothing going on so maybe she has to come up with a back-story to do these interviews or come up with a motivation for the nothingness that is occurring. I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm casting shade and on whom (her or the writers). I'm still undecided. It's bad when I'm not even sure. 

Edited by bantering
  • Love 2

Re-create Sami/Rafe/EJ?  The writers couldn’t be bothered to write decently for the characters of Sami, Lucas, Rafe, and EJ when Sami and EJ were on the show.  What could they possibly do with three lesser characters?  I say this as someone who never considered either Rafe or EJ to be that developed as characters.

AS and JS told Ken Corday and the writers in September 2013 they would not be renewing their contracts.  The writers had more than enough time to write their exit SLs.  The fact the writers did such a lousy job of it is on them and Ken Corday.

How can Eric be Sami’s twin, and so freaking boring?  Out of all the things Sami was, she wasn’t boring.

Of course even though Brady is Victor’s grandson, he is still an idiot.  I blame that on Yawn.

I would rather see Chad with Jordan or Theresa.  I think he could actually be interesting with them.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 4

Eric annoyed me with his whole speech about wanting to protect Dan from Nicole. He acts like Nicole is a terrorist. I still maintain that no matter how bad a character has been, they still deserve happiness with whoever. If Dan can be that person for Nicole, why should Eric interfere?

I like Dan sticking up for Nicole, but her goose is cooked.

So Abifail gets Vic to give Ben a job. She's still clueless about Clydesicle (thanks Vic!).

I just knew Sonny would be understanding of Ben with the Chad issue. He is even giving a reference!

I was surprised that Sneasel was so honest about his situation. I knew Kate would give that advice having been there herself numerous times. I wonder if RoboMar's advice would be different? When Will told her about Sami and EJ, she told him to stay out of it. Plus, she told Carrie to follow her heart with Rafe. Will should know that even if he keeps quiet, he will know he's lying.

I wonder if Kate encouraged Sonny to take the money because Will said he didn't cheat for the sake of the article? I guess they are saving it for the big reveal, but they didn't really get to speak about why he did it.

Sonny was pulling away from Will, but what a sweet gesture at the end of the episode. I don't think he will get inside that office tomorrow.

Paul's feelings make me uncomfortable. I was with someone who had a love of his life that he had proposed to. I also found out about these things bit by bit, although he was honest enough to share them with me. In the end, I couldn't handle it and things ended. I just didn't feel comfortable getting in between this epic love and being worried when the other woman became single again that they would get back together. So I guess my question is:' how do you handle it when the person you love is the love of someone else's life?'

I know Will cheated, but when he finds out Sonny also proposed to Paul, he has a right to be concerned. I'm not sure what the circumstances were, but if I was Will I would be questioning my whole relationship and whether I was a rebound. Every goal that Sonny failed to achieve with Paul, he accomplished with Will. It makes me question that cocoa tin of wishes even more.

I want to know what Sonny was thinking. Who proposes to someone in the closet? 'You won't walk down the street holding my hand, but hey, let's get married!' And not that it matters, but was gay marriage even legal then? When Sonny proposed to Will he said it was because it was finally legal in Salem.

Edited by 271queenie
  • Love 5