Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ABay said:

. Is it feasible that this is the same cat? How large a territory do outdoor cats typically patrol?

Can't say what is typical but I used to have a cat that regularly traversed 5 miles.  I'd find him all over the place - neighborhood, library, park, ...

3 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I'll never understand why some people get a cat then let it out to  roam the neighborhood. It's so irresponsible.  It's not fair to the cat, the local wildlife or the neighbors. At my old house I would have to clean neighbor's cats shit out of my garden every day.  I knew which cats did it but the owners insisted that their cats never left their yard.  Bullshit.  It's not hard to keep a cat indoors, my cat has only been outside in her carrier to go to the vets office and she's perfectly happy being inside. I've even adopted outdoor cats and turned them into indoor cats, it's not hard. 

Growing up we never heard of an indoor cat.  Mine now is, but since I got the dog the cat wants to go out back too.   It is hard to keep him from shooting out an open door or listen to him meow for 30+ minutes to complain about it.

• Love 2

We had a cat start coming around after her drug dealing owners bounced and left her 2 summers ago. She didn't start coming in until it got freezing but she's still very adamant about being outside. She just wants to sleep, eat and back out she goes. Thankfully, all of our neighbors adore her for various different reasons. Apparently she goes to the bus stop with the neighborhood kids in the morning and hangs out with them. We did make sure to take her to the vet though and get all of her shots (and the vet thinks she was spayed because there's a scar on her tummy). There are several cats (that have owners) who prowl around our neighborhood, so nobody really has any issues. /shrug We're also in a more rural area where it's common for cats to be indoor/outdoor.

• Love 2
Just now, langway said:

Apparently she goes to the bus stop with the neighborhood kids in the morning and hangs out with them.

Quite a few years ago, friends working construction told me about a cat left behind when the owners moved.  I had him fixed and a friend of a friend who fosters for a local rescue agreed to take him in.  Her father lives with the family, and he walks the kids to school each morning and goes back in the afternoon to walk them home -- and the cat tags along each and every time.  They turned a lot of heads at first, but now the neighborhood is used to it.  (And, yes, he's a foster fail; that's now his permanent home.)

All her other cats are indoor only, but this one threw threw unbelievable fits at being kept inside (I mean, far beyond the usual adjustment period when you bring a formerly outdoor or indoor/outdoor cat inside full time) and was miserable.  So she gave him outdoor access (he comes in to get cuddles and hang out, but he primarily wants to be outside), and he went right back to his sweet, loving self. 

If my cats get any outdoor time and, if so, whether it's ever unsupervised, has always depended on the individual cat(s) and where I was living.  And it has always been a process - if they even show interest in going outside to begin with, first they'd get leashed walks around the backyard to see how they reacted to the sights and sounds of the great outdoors.  How it progressed from there, if it did, just depended on circumstances.  Riley hasn't even been here six months yet, so she's still an indoor-only cat.  My hunch is she always will be, but we'll see (she was indoor/outdoor in her previous home).

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Quite a few years ago, friends working construction told me about a cat left behind when the owners moved.  I had him fixed and a friend of a friend who fosters for a local rescue agreed to take him in.  Her father lives with the family, and he walks the kids to school each morning and goes back in the afternoon to walk them home -- and the cat tags along each and every time.  They turned a lot of heads at first, but now the neighborhood is used to it.  (And, yes, he's a foster fail; that's now his permanent home.)

I seriously just made a noise that sounded inhuman, lol, that is so sweet! Nibbler (the kitty in question) really loves to hang out with the neighborhood kids. She was pretty skittish at first, but when she started coming around to us, it seems she started coming around to humans in general. She really loves interaction.

All her other cats are indoor only, but this one threw threw unbelievable fits at being kept inside (I mean, far beyond the usual adjustment period when you bring a formerly outdoor or indoor/outdoor cat inside full time) and was miserable.  So she gave him outdoor access (he comes in to get cuddles and hang out, but he primarily wants to be outside), and he went right back to his sweet, loving self. 

That's basically how she was acting. Almost as if she was in serious distress. She'd lash out at us, the dogs, and our indoor only cat in return (I have the battle scars to prove it). It just made more sense to keep letting her do what she does. She has a kitty squad of other house cats that pretend to be street cats, so she's pretty content with her life now I think. Plus, she loves to hunt. She brings mice to the porch weekly.

If my cats get any outdoor time and, if so, whether it's ever unsupervised, has always depended on the individual cat(s) and where I was living.  And it has always been a process - if they even show interest in going outside to begin with, first they'd get leashed walks around the backyard to see how they reacted to the sights and sounds of the great outdoors.  How it progressed from there, if it did, just depended on circumstances.  Riley hasn't even been here six months yet, so she's still an indoor-only cat.  My hunch is she always will be, but we'll see (she was indoor/outdoor in her previous home).

My other cat is indoor only, but he sees his sister go outside, so now his curiosity is getting the best of him. He's gotten past me a few times, but he's not like Nibbler. He's very passive and skittish. I could always try leashing him and walking him around the back yard here and there, just so he can get his "fix" so to speak without him being unsupervised and roaming the neighborhood. I don't think he'd make it very long on his own, unfortunately.

Stray cat is now at the local no-kill shelter and will soon be available for adoption. The shelter folk said she's very young. That might mean she's always been outside. If so, I hope she adjusts to the shelter well and figures out how much nicer it is to be warm, dry, and fed regularly, and have people and other cats around for cuddles and play. She's adorable and very friendly and they think she'll be adopted quickly.

Girl cat was extremely unhappy to be given her pills this morning and is going to be even more unhappy tomorrow when she goes back to the vet for a check up. I'm already dreading the battle over getting her into the carrier.

• Love 2

Well, if turns out that a) she's interested in going outside and b) she can do so safely (be that on a leash, let loose in the backyard with me standing there, or, if remarkably obedient for a cat like Maddie and Baxter were - there's no sign of that thus far, heh - trusted to stay in the yard on her own even if I go back inside for a little while), then she'll be able to do that -- if she's into it and can be outside safely, I think it's good for her to get some fresh air and sunlight, and sniff green things.  (If not, too bad - she can get the fresh air and sunlight that comes in through the windows and sniff her catnip-stuffed sock.)

But I'm not sure she will want to go out even once she's finished working out her skittishness (and her issues with being picked up, so that I could even get a harness on her without it being a skirmish); she's followed me to the door twice, but otherwise stays away, and I think she was probably outside more than she wanted to be in her previous home.  We'll see; her personality is still revealing itself, which is a joy to watch.

I love when it's raining, and a cat walks to each and every exterior door, like, "Damn, it's raining outside this one, too!" 

Semi-related, I dropped an ice cube on the kitchen floor the other night, and Riley played soccer with it briefly before looking at her paw like, "Wet!  Cold!  Horrors!"

• Love 3

The one cat we truly rescued - she was living in the woods outside our apartment building - never looked back once she came indoors. She was totally content and never made a dash, or even a step, towards the front door.  The ones that have come from shelters or the vet (sometimes people leave a box of kittens on his front porch) kind of look/looked at the door halfheartedly but there's no serious effort to get out.  Somehow, we got easy cats! 

• Love 1

We just got done with out nightly pet grooming session.  Usually I will start with one and the other immediately needs to come over to get groomed too because they both have jealous hearts.  But Sir Robin would not come over tonight when I called him, so Kokuma got a long grooming session before the cat gave in and came over.  Normally he will just lay down within my reach, but tonight he plopped himself down right on my lap.  So the cat got brushed, switched back to the dog, switch back to the cat...and then get to watch the domesticated animal kingdom's version of "Mom!  He's touching me!".  The dog started it when I was brushing the cat and he decided he needed to give the cat a sniff.  The first sniff was to the face (awwww) but the second involved shoving his big snout underneath the cat's butt to try to leverage him out of my lap.  That got Kook a "be nice warning" so he lay on his side and put his paws up to his face and played peekaboo (awwww).  The cat decided he was getting too much appreciation so gave him a little swat with his paw, Kook retaliated with a poke with his paw, Sir Robin re-retaliated with a more forceful swat, Kook re-re-retaliated...they are a couple of goof balls.

I just got Kook something called a Himalayan Dog Chew - which apparently is basically a hard cheese rind made from yak's milk.  He's a pretty big guy and a good chewer and I have been looking for something that is a bit longer lasting.  I set the timer for 20 minutes and let him have at it.  He made some progress but not a substantial amount.  I took it away after his chew session and put it away so we'll see how many 20 minute sessions he can get off of one.

He's got plenty of chew toys, but those are chews of the last resort.  He'd much rather chew up the towels or blankets I put down for him.

• Love 1

I need advice! Girl cat has fleas and the vet administered Revolution during our visit. I tried to apply it to boy cat but it's been years since I've done it and I'm not sure I got it on well enough--some of it, maybe a lot of it, went more on this fur than his skin. Should I attempt to put more on?

The fleas are probably from the stray kitty who brushed against me a few times.

Other than that, girl cat is doing well, the UTI is all gone although they're going to run another culture to be absolutely sure, and she is walking normally again. Starting tomorrow, less prednisone.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, ABay said:

I need advice! Girl cat has fleas and the vet administered Revolution during our visit. I tried to apply it to boy cat but it's been years since I've done it and I'm not sure I got it on well enough--some of it, maybe a lot of it, went more on this fur than his skin. Should I attempt to put more on?

Per the Revolution site, you can probably re-apply it safely. (You would probably want to wipe off the fur to keep her from licking it off herself.) And you can always call that question as well.

CATS

In safety studies, Revolution was applied at 1, 3, 5, and 10 times the recommended dose to six-week-old kittens. No adverse reactions were observed. The safety of Revolution administered orally also was tested in case of accidental oral ingestion. Oral administration of the recommended topical dose of Revolution to cats caused salivation and intermittent vomiting. Revolution also was applied at 4 times the recommended dose to patent heartworm infected cats, and no adverse reactions were observed.

In well-controlled clinical studies, Revolution was used safely in animals receiving other frequently used veterinary products such as vaccines, anthelmintics, antiparasitics, antibiotics, steroids, collars, shampoos and dips.

• Love 1

When I adopted Sir Robin, the rescue had him on Revolution.  When I asked the vet about it (since I had never heard of it), he said it was the gold standard.  So he's still on that.

I think the only concern my vet mentioned was if I were concerned about the pets licking each other after application.  Kokuma is on Advantix Multi, but the dosage is based on size.  The vet said if it were likely the cat licked the dogs application spot, it might be bad for the cat.  That is unlikely to happen.

Thanks, you guys! @JTMacc99, it didn't even occur to me to check the website! I looked at the box and then called the vet. If this gets out, I'll be forced to hand in my MLS. @DeLurker, on the one hand, it's good to know it's the gold standard. On the other hand, it should be given the price. Between a massive car repair bill in September and a series of huge vet bills ever since, the Bay household is looking at a lean Christmas.

It's so hard to properly put flea medicine on a cats skin. With all of the cats I've had, as soon as that first drop of liquid hits the skin they try to bolt.  I have flea medicine for my cat just in case but I've found that since the cat doesn't go outside as long as the dogs get their medicine the cat doesn't need it.  

I apologize if I sounded judgmental about outdoor cats. I know in some cases such as the ones above, it can be better for the cat if it's been outside most of its life. I adopted a cat from a friend once and turned her into an indoor cat, she drove me crazy for a long time and she always tried to run out the door when somebody opened it. 

Bailey used to bolt as soon as he heard the snap of the flea medicine dispenser being opened.  He took insulin injections like a champ, but pour some flea medicine between his shoulder blades?  Get out of here!  Baxter got fleas one summer, so I had to treat him and Maddie for a couple of months.  Bandit and Bailey needed it a few times.  Otherwise, thankfully, fleas haven't been an issue, so I haven't had to deal with the Frontline or similar very often.  (I never give it as a preventative, only if I see evidence of fleas.)

ABay, I'm glad your kitty is doing so much better!

Riley caught her first cricket last night.  She's terrible at catching flies, but the cricket didn't stand a chance.  I wish it was the other way around.

• Love 1

Which reminds me of the time I flipped on the bathroom light one morning to find just a cricket leg. My rant at the girls was epic. "If you're going to play with it, kill it! If you're going to kill it, eat it! If you're going to eat it, eat ALL of it! I don't do carcasses!" When I relayed that story one Christmas, my youngest niece nearly died laughing and immediately tweeted it as words of wisdom from her aunt. Sans context, just for fun. The smart-assery is strong in my family.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3

You must have big crickets there. I probably wouldn't even notice a leg from one of the crickets we have here.

Tangentially related: I used to worry about what kind of dead things my Big Guy would leave for me back when he was the neighborhood's Mighty Hunter. He was large enough that I was afraid I'd find half a chihuahua on my welcome mat some day.

Mom's cat has come up with a new ritual for jumping up on the bed: She walks completely around my bed once (including behind the headboard), then does another half-circuit to the opposite side from where I sleep, and only then will she jump up on the bed. Like she's doing a security sweep, or maybe looking for a stray bowl of food, or something.

• Love 3

Aww! My most scarring childhood nightmare was either the one where monsters were peeking in the window (still have to have the curtains shut) or the one where the floor of the closet was the gateway to hell. Still have to have the closet doors shut before I can sleep. So I can sympathize. Would be nice if my kitties would do perimeter sweeps for me. All they've ever done is freak the shit out of me one night when, reading in bed, they both simultaneously go up on point, staring down the hall and Lucy starts growling. Just about the time I decide I have to get up and investigate, they both "stand down" and start licking their paws, stretching, etc. Not sure I've ever quite forgiven them for that scare. LOL

• Love 2

In my line of work, I'm constantly dealing w/stray cats and dogs.....so even though my girls don't go outside (often), I keep them on preventatives just in case I bring anything home w/me. The best preventative for me is the Serestro flea collars. They work for up to 9 months. I can't do the applicators as its difficult to get my girls to sit still long enough for it to be applied correctly.

When I used to foster flea-infested kittens, I used to by Capstar and give it to my cats just as a precaution. Capstar is a pill that kills adult fleas within 24 hrs. I have purchased it in a long time, but it used to be that you could only purchase it through a veterinarian.

My childhood nightmare was everybody I loved was in a green school bus and we went off the Bay Bridge. In my dream I could vividly see the faces of all of my loved ones in the windows as we went under water. I must have had that dream 20 times as a kid.  I've had a fear of bridges my entire life. 

For the past few years I've had the same dream many times. I have it about once a month. In it I'm lost, I'm usually looking for my husband but it was my kids a few times and my mom once.  As I'm looking for him I try to call him but my phone never works,  when I swipe to unlock it it starts to open then it goes back to a black screen.  I've borrowed phones, they all do the same thing and phone booths are always broken. I ask everyone I see if they've seen him but everyone acts like they don't hear me, they all just stare at me.  I never find him.  I'd like to know what it means, I've had it so many times it must mean something. 

I've heard that the only dreams we remember are the ones that wake us up. 

• Love 2

Tornadoes were another recurring childhood dream. Lately, most of my dreams involve looking or searching for various things or people. The dreams are all different, but I'm always looking for something.

To bring this back on track, I'm taking Swiffer to the vet tomorrow because she has lately been doing this thing where she seems to jump or startle and then starts almost frantically licking her butt. Bladder infection? Hopefully not stones, and if I'm really lucky, it's just anal glands (I can't believe I just wrote that!). LOL

Update: It's anal glands! So she's cleaned out, got an anti-inflammatory shot to "calm things down back there" and on precautionary antibiotics. Both girls are due for all their yearly stuff in February, so we'll recheck then. So, phew! I'll take her being mad at me.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

Supposedly pretty much any pet will chase after laser pointers. Birds, fish, etc.

I rearranged furniture in my room last night. I started out just cleaning a free-standing media rack and putting it in a new location, but somehow ended up moving half the furniture around. Mom's cat was perplexed. Not only could she no longer do her sweep around the bed, but I'm sleeping on the "wrong" side of the bed now, so that she ended up on the "right" side wanting to snuggle, and bitching at me because I was an entire 2 feet away from my assigned spot.

• Love 5

My cat exploring the fireplace that has been blocked for several months because he kept going in it and getting covered with soot.

Apparently, an actual fire is not much of a deterrent. 

In other news, I went to a place to get new silica sand and embers to replace what I do have in the gas fireplace.  And based on what the woman who worked there told me, I probably have the wrong sized logs for my fireplace since mine basically go end to end with little clearance.

Fire Bad.jpg

• Love 5
9 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Apparently, an actual fire is not much of a deterrent.

Why is this such a cat thing?  We've had more than one cat who loved jumping up on the stove and kind of resting by the pot cooking on the  gas burners (with the flame going , I mean).  No wonder you can train a lion or a tiger to jump through a flaming hoop.  

• Love 2

FB_IMG_1481348188932~2.jpgI'm thinking of getting this guy for myself for Xmas. 

I've ALWAYS wanted a pig, I've collected pig stuff since I was in my early 20s.  This guy is almost 2 years old and weighs 35 pounds.  He's completely house broken and uses a litter pan, he gets along great with and sleeps with the dog and cat in the family.  The family lost their house and have to move to an apartment and they won't allow them to have him there. They said he walks great on his harness and loves kids. 

What do you all think???  I really want him but I've never had one before and am not sure if they're a lot of work. 

Edit:  His name is Pigasus but if I get him I'll probably change his name. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

I don't know how much work they are, but I do know that they are quite strong and can be very rambunctious when bored.  Also, you'd need to make sure you had a vet in the area that is familiar with pigs!

I'd probably get in contact with a pig rescue or sanctuary to see what reasons people typically have for giving up their pet pigs and then see if those reasons would be something you are likely to encounter yourself.

I hope you look into it a little more fully before making your decision - the economic down turn for the family should not be the reason you decide (you softy).

Edited by DeLurker

I will definitely be doing a lot of research and asking people who have owned them. They have until February 1st before they have to move so I have some time to decide.  

I don't rush into ANYTHING, ever when it comes to adopting an animal. I even did research for a while before buying a guinea pig.  I make sure I'm physically and financially able to properly care for them first and foremost then I do a lot of research into their care requirements. 

When I got my first dog I was really active so I wanted a dog who could keep up. I searched for over a year before deciding on my first Border Collie.  Now I look for older, couch potato type dogs because that's what suits my lifestyle now.  That's why I nixed getting a puppy and decided to get an older Border Collie from the rescue next year. 

That's great advice though @DeLurker, I appreciate it.  

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

Is Pigasus (to be named later) full grown at two years?  I ask because I used to work for a woman who had a farm, and she took in someone's potbelly pig that had grown too large for them to handle.  "Our" pig basically hung out in the barnyard with everyone else (sheep, donkeys, goats) and wasn't particularly social - which was fine, she was still a sweetie.  And if I recall correctly, you have enough room --  I just don't know if you're being sold a bill of goods, so to speak, and the pig will turn out more like livestock than a pet.  Which might be fine with you, if that is the case. 

I do know that pigs are super smart, and the name change should be a piece of cake.  Best of luck, Maharincess, if you decide to take on the porcine one.

A good friend of mine had a pot-bellied pig. It got rather large if I remember correctly.  At one point it figured out how to escape and ended up in the neighbor's corn field where he was having a hard time tracking it down to bring back home.

I remember joking with my friend that I thought I read an article about a rogue pet pig ruining local farm economy, to which he responded, "I'm waging a battle of wits against the pig, and I'm losing."

• Love 2
17 hours ago, harrie said:

Is Pigasus (to be named later) full grown at two years?  I ask because I used to work for a woman who had a farm, and she took in someone's potbelly pig that had grown too large for them to handle.  "Our" pig basically hung out in the barnyard with everyone else (sheep, donkeys, goats) and wasn't particularly social - which was fine, she was still a sweetie.  And if I recall correctly, you have enough room --  I just don't know if you're being sold a bill of goods, so to speak, and the pig will turn out more like livestock than a pet.  Which might be fine with you, if that is the case. 

I do know that pigs are super smart, and the name change should be a piece of cake.  Best of luck, Maharincess, if you decide to take on the porcine one.

This is what I'm worrying about. Since I found out about the pig, I joined a couple of pig owner forums.  So many people have been duped by the people they bought their pigs from. I was shocked at how many people were told they were buying "mini" pigs but ended up with 200 pounders once they were grown.  I can't handle a 200 pound animal, I know my limits in regards to animals.  I'm worried that somebody will get him just for the novelty of having a pig and then not take proper care of him. 

He's so damn cute though. I have an appointment to go see him in person on Sunday. 

I know this is horrible but I've been told I have a twisted sense of humor, but I've always wanted a pig named Breakfast. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

I don't have a picture, but today I will be washing my sooty cat.  Repeatedly. 

In all fairness, the cat resisted going all the way into the fireplace for a couple of days, but totally caved yesterday.  On top of that, the dog had to find out what was so interesting in the fireplace and now has some soot stains on his snout.

• Love 4

My Big Guy got real curious about the wood stove once. He got a singed nose for his troubles. He was never afraid of it after that, just careful not to touch it (although he did sometimes venture close enough to curl the end of a whisker or two).

• Love 1

While Riley has been upgraded from "scaredy cat" to "skittish," between the fireplace and uptick in visitors during the holiday season, I opted for a little tabletop Christmas tree this year rather than a full-size one, lest I ask her to accept too many new things at once.  She was fine with the tree until I turned on the lights, at which point she decided the aliens had landed and were set to abduct her; after two hours in an adjacent room, she finally re-joined me in the living room, but wouldn't look up.  A few days later, she felt brave enough to hop up on the table and explore from under the tree.  She proceeded to chew on the tree itself, a foam ornament, and the little bit of plastic sticking out from under the tree skirt.  I moved the ornament up and trimmed off the plastic, and she seems to have decided on her own that Noble Fir is not edible.  So she's been peacefully co-existing with the tree ever since <knock on wood>.

And we had a big breakthrough with Grandma today.  My mom has been coming over pretty much once a week, and Riley has become increasingly comfortable with her.  Today I decided not to do the usual routine of bringing Riley in the living room or study and depriving her of access to her hiding places in the bedroom and office, and instead just left her tucked into the bedding (where she hunkers down for the day now that "cold" weather has started -- I haven't been able to make my bed since I came home from Thanksgiving).  My mom was able to walk into the bedroom and not just pet Riley, but give her a kiss for the first time. 

010a.jpg

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11

That's a beautiful photo, Bastet.  When I had a fuzzy roommate, I used to have a table top tree but whenever I left the apartment, I would stick it in the closet and take it back out when I got home.  I still found ornaments under the couch months later.

• Love 2