Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

Yay, I especially love when the black kitties get a home!  Congratulations, JTMacc99.  I'm partial to Luna, as that was my "niece's" (best friend's dog) name. 

After three months here, Riley has finally started coming into the main bathroom.  She explored it when she first got here and was day by day investigating more of the house, and then never set paw in it again.  (She'd go in the half bath, which has her second litter box in it -- that is supposed to be her only litter box, but Miss Thing didn't want to leave the office, so everything got shifted -- but never that one; it has been very odd going to the bathroom without being accompanied by a cat.)  A few days ago, she came in with me, and then last night she came in again and explored; she sat in the bathtub for a while.

She also tested out the floor cushions in front of the living room fireplace that were Baxter's.  So adventurous!

Oh, and I sneaked up on her and got one more front claw trimmed.  Woo!

• Love 5

The new kitty is so pretty @JTMacc99!  We've only had one black kitty when I was a kid in Japan.  It would hang out in the hall at night and would come swinging at you while standing on its hind legs if you got up to go to the bathroom at night.  It only came at you on its hind legs at night though.

Sir Robin and Kokuma are getting along pretty well.  They haven't quite figured out how each other communicates yet.  Sir Robin will purr and go up and give the dog a head bonk, but it takes Kook a few minutes to understand that was a friendly overture.  When he figures it out, he'll go try to give the cat one, but between the size difference (10 vs 55) and puppy enthusiasm, the cat ends up with a concussion and not feeling the affection behind it.  Alternatively, Kokuma will use his front paw to poke the cat or lay it on him as a sign of affection; the cat doesn't understand why the big fool is swatting him with his gigantic paw.

But occasionally it works out and they play a game of chase.  First it will be the dog chasing the cat, then in the next second it is cat chasing dog.  All these games require thundering up and down the stairs and a lap around the first floor rooms that open to one another.

Sir Robin has decided he wants to go in the backyard because Kokuma does.  I only take him out on the harness and leash though since I don't want him to be free range outdoor.  Trying to figure out some kind of enclosure that would be big enough for both so I could let the at outside without me sometime.  The layout of my backyard does not lend itself to an enclosed patio (nor does my budget), so I am pondering getting a freestanding gazebo or something that comes with screens. 

• Love 1

Trying to figure out some kind of enclosure that would be big enough for both so I could let the at outside without me sometime.  The layout of my backyard does not lend itself to an enclosed patio (nor does my budget), so I am pondering getting a freestanding gazebo or something that comes with screens. 

Google "catio" (or, okay, the less-cutesy "outdoor cat enclosure") and you can lose days perusing the various creative ways cat owners have devised enclosed outdoor spaces in all manner of yards, with all manner of materials.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

We've only had one black kitty when I was a kid in Japan.  It would hang out in the hall at night and would come swinging at you while standing on its hind legs if you got up to go to the bathroom at night.  It only came at you on its hind legs at night though.

Wow! it wasn't a bakeneko was it?  And of course black cats are lucky in Japan. We have a black cat now who I guess could be called lucky - she's had a lot of bad things happen to her, but eventually she found her happy ending.

• Love 2

Sadly not a bakeneko...there were these huge black birds (I don't remember if they were crows or ravens as I was pretty young) since we lived in an area adjacent to some woods.  These things would swoop down and pick up trash can lids, fly up and drop them making a horrible noise.  They also swooped down and picked up smaller animals, including our little black cat.  So I am hoping @JTMacc99 doesn't choose the name Raven.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

So I am hoping @JTMacc99 doesn't choose the name Raven.

It is "officially" my daughter's cat, and I am happy to report that she has gone with Luna. Apparently there is a black cat named Luna in Sailor Moon, so this is validation for her that she picked a good name.

And as for cat updates, she's still a very curious and playful kitten. Yesterday she did the whole, "Ooh! A paper bag!" thing, which... adorable.  She also tried to attack my feet while I was on the exercise bike which was less adorable. We also broke out the laser pointer, which went really well until my children realized that if they point the laser at each other, the sibling became the receiver of claws.  Heh.

• Love 5

Mom's Cat has discovered how to have "breakfast in bed" this week. She uses the rim of her food dish as a pillow, and only has to lift her head to eat a bite of food. Then she goes back to her nap. I'm sure that the warm air flowing across that spot from under the refrigerator has something to do with this new trick.

I tried to explain to her that she's being unreasonably lazy, but she only purred at me.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, riley702 said:

Cats elevate lazy to a genius art form.

I'm looking forward to our new kitten getting to that stage, because at the moment, she's got a LOT of kitten energy bursts followed by power naps.  The energy bursts and play time are super fun, but when I get a cat on my head at 3:55 AM, it's a little less fun.  And when after several attempts to move her off of my head, she solves the problem by darting under the covers and setting up shop, claws out, in the middle of my back, I had to send her out of my room. I figured she could go jump on the dogs for a while.

• Love 2

One of my coworkers gave me a small-dog bed that her dog didn't like.  Lily, my cat who usually sleeps in the laundry basket, has discovered that it takes less energy to step into the dog bed than it does to jump into the laundry basket.  Dog bed wins, and so do I, because I can keep clean laundry in the laundry basket again.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm looking forward to our new kitten getting to that stage, because at the moment, she's got a LOT of kitten energy bursts followed by power naps.  The energy bursts and play time are super fun, but when I get a cat on my head at 3:55 AM, it's a little less fun.  And when after several attempts to move her off of my head, she solves the problem by darting under the covers and setting up shop, claws out, in the middle of my back, I had to send her out of my room. I figured she could go jump on the dogs for a while.

I don't know if you'll ever miss this stage, but I haven't had a kitten in the house in about 22 years, and I know I miss it.  Our 16-or-so-year-old cat occasionally attacks my feet through the covers, and I must admit I love it when he does. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I've been waiting more than four years for my cat to settle down and stop the middle of the night marathons through the house, up and down the wood stairs, through the kitchen, back up the stairs, through the bedroom, across the bed and back again. For a very long time.  I can't put her out of my room because my stairs open right into my room. My room is like a loft that's the same size of the entire downstairs so there's lots of room up here for her to run, but unfortunately no door. 

I keep telling her she's 4 now, it's time to enter the fat, lazy cat portion if her life now but she won't listen.  I've basically had a kitten for the past four years. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Maharincess said:

stop the middle of the night marathons through the house, up and down the wood stairs, through the kitchen, back up the stairs, through the bedroom, across the bed and back again.

Well, come to think of it, Lenny and Carl (the previous cat members of the Macc home) ran up and down the stairs like a herd of elephants in the middle of the night well into their 7th or 8th year.  I guess I should just hope that Luna just stops jumping on my head at 3:50 AM at some point. The world is her toy

• Love 6

It is reassuring to find out that there are other cats that thunder up and down the stairs.  I was wondering how my 10 lb cat can make more noise (sometimes) traversing the stairs than my 60 lb dog.

While looking for a chewable dog toy without a squeaker, I found this one by Nerf.  It's awesome and so far indestructible from my big goof.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

Pupster Update - yesterday I left Kokuma home for longer than usual - 4 hours.  And there was no evidence that he did anything he wasn't supposed to so Yippee!  Of course, he was under the cat's supervision so I am sure that helped.

I bravely have bought myself new sneakers and house slippers (pictured below because I love them - grippy bottoms, glow in the dark clouds, toss in washing machine!).  Within 3 days of getting Kook, all my slippers were chewed up and my sneakers gnarled a bit (he was using restraint, so he was trying).

733fda1d-9877-4ddc-a122-35bd80c5498b_1.d

My only real concern is Kook may be a racist.  When I take him to the dog park, he'll only play with other dogs that are white, cream or tan.

• Love 6

My cats don't thunder up and down the stairs, but only because I don't have any stairs in my apartment.  They thunder up and down the hall instead, and I'm glad I don't have downstairs neighbors.  They'd probably think I was running a bowling alley. 

• Love 5

I got out the laser pointer to play with the cat last night.  Our game was interrupted when Kokuma decided he wanted to play too.  At that point, Sir Robin ceded playing and watched the big galoot behave ridiculously. 

• Love 1

Went to the dog park a few nights ago and there was this giant marmaduke dog that was completely uncivilized.  Kook's usually about the biggest dog at the park most times, but this dog dwarfed him.  Anyway, it kept aggressively chasing the other dogs and they were getting stressed out.  The owner did not do anything to try to curb his behavior.  Kokuma stuck close to me and did not want any part of that chaos.  Several other dog owner's were trying to gather up their dogs to go because it just was not cool.

I have a full sized trike because I have balance issues.  It has been in the garage all year because I did not have time to ride or it was too hot.  My son cleaned it up and inflated the tires for me this weekend, my daughter walked Kokuma up to the high school (about 10 minutes away) and I met her up there.  I wanted to see if I could ride the trike and walk Kook at the same time.  I figured the high school parking lot would provide the most area and least distractions for us.  He did pretty well!  He is quick in short bursts (when motivated) but would be a lousy jogging partner.  He can walk at a good pace for days though so this will help me cover enough ground to get him a good workout.

I'm going to go put the cat in his carrier and take him for a ride (the trike has a big basket).  Not sure if he'll like it or not - my mom has a couple of trikes too and her cat loves to go for rides.

UPDATE:  Decided to try taking the cat and the dog for a trike ride this morning.  It went fine - just put a towel down in the basket for extra cushioning and had the cat in the soft sided carrier.  Sir Robin did not make a peep, just looked around at all the wonders of the neighborhood.  The Kook did his normal trot along, although he was hard to get moving once he saw one of the evil squirrels.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 4

@DeLurker, I love that you took the kitty for a ride!  My cat is terrified of the big bad outdoors. She used to try to get out the front door all the time, she ran out one day before I could grab her.  She's such a sissy, she was on the porch and when she turned the corner and saw how big it is outside she ran right back in and hasn't tried to get out since.  I don't know if she thought the outside would have rooms like the inside or what but she didn't like what she saw when she finally made it out. 

I swore I would  NEVER do this again but I'm seriously considering getting a puppy. I haven't raised a puppy since I got my Harley in 2000 but I think I'm ready again. I've loved all of my animals so much but there's nothing like having a puppy that I myself trained in the way I want them trained. With Harley all I had to do was snap my fingers and point and he would go sit wherever I pointed. He could do so much,  he would close the front door if I said "mamas cold", he could open the refrigerator and get a soda, I would tell him something once and he did it immediately.  I have plenty of open space for puppy exercise,  I can use my ATV to walk/run it around the property and I can throw a ball or Frisbee from my wheelchair.  This isn't a spur of the moment decision, I've been thinking about it for a while now and my husband said it's my decision and he'd back me either way.  I know they're a lot of work but I have nothing but time on my hands and I've already figured out a lot of different ways to exercise it. 

The only drawback is that I feel guilty for going to a breeder instead of rescuing again. All of my dogs except for Harley were rescues.   The breeder is the same one I got my Harley from and if I didn't know the breeder's reputation I would do extensive research to make sure I found a good one.  Why do I feel so guilty for even thinking of not rescuing? 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Maharincess said:

The only drawback is that I feel guilty for going to a breeder instead of rescuing again.

Feeling bad* because there are so many great animals in shelters and rescues is what kept me from going to a breeder.  Well, that and the fact that there were so many puppymills or backyard breeders in it for profit.  That being said, my former dog was from a breeder because the ex needed a pure bred.  She was fantastic and I never thought about the cost or other alternatives once I got her.

Your circumstances are much different now than before.  You need to make sure that the dog is comfortable with you cruising around on an ATV for one thing.  Kook would probably freak at that.  He is highly displeased with bikes that are pulling the kid carriers and pretty iffy about skateboards.  And he is a pretty chill dog. 

Working with the breeder gives you the confidence that she/he will be on the watch for a puppy that has the disposition and temperament that will align well with your needs.  And who is healthy.

*Not throwing shade at anyone who is or uses a breeder.  I just have very strong feelings about breeding for profit and not with the best interest of the dog in mind.

• Love 3

Well, it's been a little over six months since I brought my rescue home. He's a shar pei/lab/pit mix. We went to the vet for his six month follow up blood test and he's healthy and heart worm free! He had heart worms when I adopted him-- so its a relief to know the treatment worked.  (I posted here about my frustrations over his nipping. He was on exercise restrictions for a month during the heartworm treatment, and I was black and blue. But we made it through that rocky first month. Thanks to all here who offered suggestions on toys, and words of encouragement)

And bonus, I've lost 20 pounds from walking the mutt. 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Maharincess said:

The only drawback is that I feel guilty for going to a breeder instead of rescuing again. All of my dogs except for Harley were rescues.   The breeder is the same one I got my Harley from and if I didn't know the breeder's reputation I would do extensive research to make sure I found a good one.  Why do I feel so guilty for even thinking of not rescuing? 

You probably already know this, but rescues do often have puppies. Much of the time they either come along with a mama dog from a puppy mill that has been busted or from a mother and puppies that were neglected/strays, etc. So that's an option. You can look on petfinder to see what is available at all of the different rescues in your area. The drawback would be that there's often a ton of applicants for those puppies, whereas when you buy the dog it is yours no problem. 

• Love 1

Before I got my dog, I was looking at the rescue sites.  They gave so much good information about the individual dogs and I spoke with a few people who were very patient in answering a zillion questions about the breed in general.  They were all so caring and committed to these dogs - finding a "good" placement for each was a big concern.  Several are now on my charitable giving list because I thought what they were doing was so fantastic.

The shelter where I got my dog from called me yesterday.  They wanted to know how he was working out and if I had any questions or concerns.  I was surprised by the follow up at first, but after thinking about it not.  When I was there, the people working/volunteering all knew the individual dogs and cats by name!  They were talking with people and asking questions about what they were looking for, their home life and schedule so they could try to show them potential pets that matched their interests and lifestyle.  It was incredible.

• Love 4
On 10/26/2016 at 11:17 AM, sacrebleu said:

Well, it's been a little over six months since I brought my rescue home. He's a shar pei/lab/pit mix. We went to the vet for his six month follow up blood test and he's healthy and heart worm free! He had heart worms when I adopted him-- so its a relief to know the treatment worked.  (I posted here about my frustrations over his nipping. He was on exercise restrictions for a month during the heartworm treatment, and I was black and blue. But we made it through that rocky first month. Thanks to all here who offered suggestions on toys, and words of encouragement)

And bonus, I've lost 20 pounds from walking the mutt. 

That's fantastic that he's heartworm free!   I'm always so happy to hear that a rescue is happy and healthy in their new lives. 

Damn, I'm feeling even more guilty now about going through a breeder! 

@VMepicgrl, I've put in applications for puppies at the rescues and for every one puppy they get at least 50 applications. 

Even though I may feel some guilt,  I'm going for my puppy.  I'm going with my brother this weekend to check out a litter.   I have rescued dogs, I saved my baby Kaylee from being put down, I donate to the shelters/rescues three times a year and before my accident I volunteered at my local shelter. I think I'll be forgiven for getting my pup.   

I really hope you guys don't think less of me for going to a breeder.  In my situation I need a dog that I've trained myself, I can't run after a dog if it decides to chase something so I need a dog that I know will come when called, with my other puppy all I had to do was softly say his name and point and he would come and sit wherever I pointed. Kaylee was a GREAT girl but she didn't listen to me, if she was doing something she wanted to do she would flat out ignore me if I called her.   I'm actually really excited about getting a new baby. I need something to keep me busy and as stupid as it may sound, I need to feel needed again. 

• Love 5

Maharincess, you have perfectly legitimate reasons for going through a breeder.  I know people who have sworn up and down how much they love animals, and then paid $2-3K for a puppy mill puppy on a whim. I also once knew a person who bought only a certain breed because it "fit her style."  I hope when you find your pup, you enjoy him/her and have a great time. 

Handsome is half border collie, and he's got the independent streak too - but his other half (Rottweiler) is supposed to be independent and stubborn, so who knows what side he gets it from. But if he's got a good sniff going, forget about it. Even if I use the "don't MAKE me come pick up your leash" voice, he waits until the last possible second to come running.  Or sometimes, look up. 

DeLurker, I love the trike ride idea. That must have been fun, and a great way for kitty to enjoy the outdoors. 

sacrebleu, congratulations on the heartworm-freeness for your pup.

bosawks, you take such wonderful pictures, and Ali is the most beautiful model.  

• Love 2

Damn, I'm feeling even more guilty now about going through a breeder! 

you (and others) have legit motives. You want to know what you're getting, you may be dealing with a spouse/kids with allergies  (like the Obamas) so need a specific kind of dog.

There are plenty of reasons to go through a breeder. It's also probably a bit of piece of mind knowing your dog's history. When mine has behavioral issues (won't be crated, terrified of baths-- still) I wonder if its because of past experiences and I shouldn't push the issue, or its just a personality quirk.

But my dog's first 18 months will remain a mystery. He was abandoned, found and taken to a shelter where I adopted him.  I know someone took care of him, because while he was totally undisciplined, he was housebroken, so somebody cared enough to teach him that-- but that was about it.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2016 at 1:32 PM, DeLurker said:

*Not throwing shade at anyone who is or uses a breeder.  I just have very strong feelings about breeding for profit and not with the best interest of the dog in mind.

In my adult life, I purchased two dogs from breeders who spent more time interviewing me than me checking them out. They wanted to be absolutely sure I was going to be a responsible owner who was planning to get my puppy fixed before they would let me pay them for one of their babies.  I remember meeting breeders who didn't think this way, and I wanted no part of purchasing a dog from them.

The other two dogs, Danny and Neo who happen to be the current two dogs in my home, were "rescued", although not in a way that makes me feel like a hero or anything.  Danny was raised by his breeder to be a show dog. He actually went to shows and won points. But when it was clear that his hip dysplasia was going to prevent him from being a good dog to breed, he was given to the local Lab rescue organization to find him a new home.  We were fostering Labs for the rescue at the time, and it became very clear, very quickly that Danny wasn't leaving my home.  The others before him were good dogs, but they needed things that we couldn't offer them. Danny on the other hand offered things that we needed.

Neo was resucued in a way. His original owner for the first nine years of his life was a 90 year old man. When he died, his 60-something year old son took Neo, but it was hard for him and then there was a fire in his apartment building and he was temporarily in another apartment and blah, blah, blah, he was looking for somebody to hold on to Neo while he got his life settled.  We took in Neo and then the guy ghosted on us.  So, we got Neo fixed (which, seriously people, get your dogs fixed unless you have a very good reason not to do so,) and now he's a pointy nosed, bossy little family member.

I'm pretty sure Neo was a puppy mill dog. He looks the part of an Italian Greyhound except that he's about two inches tall than what he's supposed to be.

• Love 1

Dog Induced Bloody Nose:  I was out this morning doing errands and when I came home, the cat seemed a bit off so I bent at the waist to get a better look.  Because Kook has to be in the middle of everything, he comes rushing over and promptly sticks his nose into the cat's face.  When I tell him to move, he suddenly picks up his head and bashes my nose with his snout.  It hurt like hell, but was so ridiculous that I could only laugh despite getting a bloody nose.

• Love 4
On 10/27/2016 at 3:01 PM, Maharincess said:

Even though I may feel some guilt,  I'm going for my puppy.  I'm going with my brother this weekend to check out a litter.  

I'll be waiting for an update on this!

Question:  Kokuma will scamper, frolic, play, run, etc....in my backyard and the yard is seriously showing the effects.  When I take him to the dog park - a totally appropriate area for him to scamper, frolic, play,....he doesn't there.  Or rather, he only does on very very rare occasion.   I know he is put off if the other dogs are unruly or playing too rough since he will actually go to the gate to leave and wait for me there.  I've tried bring his ball with me since he loves that in our yard, but is totally indifferent to it at the dog park.  I've tried going to the dog park at different times of day to see if he is more comfortable there when it is less crowded, but that hasn't really made a difference.

As a result of not enough rough housing, he is trying to rough house with the cat (much to Sir Robin's dismay).  Sir Robin is a lover, not a fighter so this is very bad for him.  He's swatted at Kook with his paws, but not hard and with no claws out and so Kook has not gotten the message that Sir Robin is not happy.  I'm not thrilled about the prospect of Kook getting an unsightly scar on his pretty face, but won't fault the cat if it happens.

Any suggestions? I take Kook out at least twice a day for walks or trike rides, so normally he's getting about 90 minutes/ 4- 5 miles on these outings (in total).

Get a second dog?

Are there any dogs at the park or in the neighborhood that he seems at all interested in? Maybe you could make playdates with just that one dog and dog owner for somewhere other than the dog park? Or if he could get to know one other dog he'd have someone to be friends with at the park instead of being one among so many? I wish I knew more about dogs.

• Love 1

A second dog is out of the question unless it is a small one.  And I am wary of small dogs in the event they get yippy or a Napoleon Complex.

I've been scouting out for other dogs that he is willing to play with, but there's been little luck.  I've been trying to go there at different times to see if there is a better fit.  So far no luck, but I'll keep trying and if there is a match, then I'll see if I can arrange a doggy playdate.

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas, DeLurker.  I hope Kook finds a doggy friend or two.  My boy is a lot the same - he's always polite about it, but he can take or leave most dogs. You made me laugh with the image of him standing by gate of the dog park, waiting for you to take him out.

Have you tried the BarkHappy app as a means to meet up with other dog owners?

Otherwise, if you're in South Jersey and want to hook up with a hyperactive Chessie I think I can work something out.

• Love 1

Haven't tried BarkHappy yet @bosawks

I looked up dog parks in my area and there are 3 within a reasonable distance.  I already go to 1, but had no idea the others were so close.  Since Kokuma can handle the exercise and the weather is cooling a bit, I'll check out the others.  There was a dog up there today that got Kokuma playing for a bit.  She was just about 25 lbs (at best), but she was relentless (in a playful way) in going after him until he played chasey games with her.  The owner usually takes her to another one of the parks, but on Tuesday mornings she said there is a group of men who sometimes use "colorful" language.

Spent 15 minutes trying to get him in my car today (just practice).  I broke up one of of his favorite treats, opened the rear door (not the cargo area), got in and tried to tempt him in with treats.  It took about 5 minutes before he would even look at me.  Eventually I got him to set one foot in and stretch his neck as far as it would go to get a treat.  I figure I'll keep doing that so he gets more comfortable with getting in so it isn't a two person job to wrestle him in.  He isn't stressed once the car starts and you are moving, but he is hella scared to get in a car.

Does anyone have any experience with a cat barfing pink foam? I know the pink foam is slightly bloody stomach acid stuff but I don't understand why this happens or if there's anything I can do to stop it. My cat started doing this four hours ago. She's done it before, once last year and again a few years ago, and it never lasts for more than 12-16 hours and she's perfectly fine afterwards. I keep my floors pretty spotless (I have a thing about being able to feel any kind of dirt beneath my feet indoors since I always go barefoot, so I sweep and vacuum almost every day) and she isn't into knocking things off the table so she can't have swallowed something. I hope this isn't an illness. She's about 17 if that matters.

@slf - any updates?

For reasons unclear, my cat has attached himself to my lap for the last 6 hours.  If I am sitting, he is on my lap, when I went to lie down, he was on my stomach, when I am standing or walking, he is following me, giving a periodic meow so I don't forget he is waiting for my lap.

Since when I sit, he gets on my lap then the dog has to come over and see what is going on.  This involves a lot of sniffing and sticking his nose underneath the cat (I suspect a disguised attempt to dislodge the cat from my lap).  I have now said, in all seriousness "Kook!  Get out of the cat's butt!".

• Love 2

Thanks for the advice, @Sandman87. I took her to the vet and she said there doesn't seem to be any underlying medical condition that would be causing the vomiting, which had stopped a few hours before I got her into the vet's office. Given the infrequency of the vomiting (once every couple of years) the vet thinks it's likely just, like you suggest, normal vomiting that causes irritation which results in some light bleeding. So, thankfully, nothing major but I do wish there was a way to stop it or treat it once it happens but she says there's not much you can do but wait it out.

• Love 3

It was a little chilly in the house today, so Mom's cat decided to be cute:

i1b1iv.jpg

She doesn't seem to care at all if someone throws a blanket over her, in fact it tends to make her purr, but this is the first time in a few years that she's crawled under a blanket on her own like that. She stayed there for about 6 hours too. Nice and warm there, sandwiched between the comforter and the sleeping bag (an excellent second comforter, btw).

• Love 7