Type keyword(s) to search

The Judges: They Think You Need More Salt

Veruca Assault
  • Start Topic

I like Hugh, too.  Bourdain is my favorite guest judge.  I adore the man but sometimes he works a little too hard for something witty to say.  I forgive him because I like his edgy, direct honesty.  

• Love 4

Michelle Bernstein, Daniel Boloud, Eric Rippert, Bourdain, even Rocco was a good guest judge because he's always very detailed in his critique.

But I also love Rick Tremonte for his shot to Spike abt the frozen scallops.

• Love 2

Michelle Bernstein, Daniel Boloud, Eric Rippert, Bourdain, even Rocco was a good guest judge because he's always very detailed in his critique.

But I also love Rick Tremonte for his shot to Spike abt the frozen scallops.

I love Rick Tramonto, because he wasn't embarassed to say out loud that people who work in the restaurant industry are huge substance abusers, and that his personal way out included religion. Not that I'm endorsing his views, but they're clearly not Cool in the testosterone-drenched world of kitchens, and he's all over owning it anyway.

I can't remember her name off the top of my head, but I was kind of impressed with Anne Burrell's fiance.

Koren Grieveson.  She is from Luanda, Angola.  Very exotic!  She just looks like a white chick though, a little on the masculine side.  

I would love to see more of Fabio.  I am not sure he would make a good judge but try him for one episode and see how that goes.  Everything is wrapped for this season so maybe next time.  I would just like to see more of him in any capacity.  

• Love 1

Padma was on The Chew today and she was a totally different person than she is on TC. She was gracious and funny and very complimentary to and fauning over Carla. It was refreshing.

• Love 1

Padma was on The Chew today and she was a totally different person than she is on TC. She was gracious and funny and very complimentary to and fauning over Carla. It was refreshing.

Well,  you didn't imagine a dedicated Heather like Padma was going to be rude to the two people (Carla and Mike Symon) who have the highest Q ratings in daytime TV, did you? I kinda figured she'd suck up as obsequiously as she always does when she's punching above her weight socially.

• Love 1

Katie's voice is so horrific I am shocked they chose her in the first place.  Huge mistake.  I just watched season one, again a couple of weeks ago and it is fresh in my mind.  She offered nothing as far as the judging went either.   

And yet despite the disdain she shows all too often, Padma is 10,000 times better than Katie Lee Joel or whatever her predecessor's name was.

And yet the Food Network hired her. Which makes it all the more pointed that there are as yet no takers for Kelly Choi...

And yet despite the disdain she shows all too often, Padma is 10,000 times better than Katie Lee Joel or whatever her predecessor's name was.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Katie Lee Joel is a robot.

• Love 5

I would Take Kelly Choice over Katie Lee

I have to give it to you - I'm more impressed with Kelly Choi becoming a food celebrity by relentless self promotion than I am with Katie Lee becoming a food celebrity by however Katie Lee became a food celebrity. It would've been nice to see a few facial expressions other than runway grimace, though.

I used to call Tom Colicchio "Cold Dickio" but I came fairly quickly to admire his expertise, his frankness and his dedication to encouraging these chefs to aim high and cook the very best food of which they are capable every single time. And the last few seasons he seems to have relaxed a lot more and has more fun, showing more humor. He still annoys me sometimes, but overall I think he's a terrific Head Judge. 

Hated Gail her first few seasons, but whether it's more experience in front of the camera, or a happy (I hope!) marriage, she has become less of a drama queen (who can forget her rants about 'rubbery, overcooked eggs' as if they were a criminal offense) warmer, and more constructive in her critiques.

Don't like Hugh Acheson much. I think he's like Michael Kors in Kors's last few seasons on "Project Runway" - more interested in a good 'zinger' than encouraging the chefs with constructive criticism. And I think he's oversold on himself.

I love Padma (do we have an Unpopular Opinions thread? If so I'll go over there). I've enjoyed watching her gain confidence and voice, and seeing the other, more experienced judges come to respect her a little more. Her relationship with Colicchio is adorable. And she is so damn stunning. I don't know if she's stoned at work or not. I like her enough that I don't care (apart from professionalism issues).

Guest judges, like those on most reality shows, vary wildly in quality. I'm always thrilled to see Hubert or Thomas Keller (not related to each other, but I think they're both amazing), and other major league chefs. They're usually right on top of the situation. I agree with roamyn that Rick Tramonte would have been worth it just for his exchange with Spike over the scallops. Also agree that Daniel Boulud and Eric Ripert were fantastic.  I see that Ming Tsai is going to judge at some point this season, and I can't wait. 

Non-chef judges (celebrities, local figures of importance, people who serve our country in some way) also vary. I remember Natasha Richardson being a wonderful guest judge, but just thinking about that episode gets me misty-eyed about her premature death. 

One of the worst judges ever was the food-truck king, who was condescending and arrogant, and sometimes out and out mean. Speaking of mean, there were those two guys who judged two seasons ago, and one of the chefs had interviewed them for a job and not offered it, and while critiquing her food (which was not as good as she usually served) were unbelievably nasty, and said "Guess we're glad we didn't get that job". I was all "And maybe she's really, really glad she didn't offer it to you."

• Love 3

Serious Tom fangirl here. And because I was looking at the official site, and registered that NONE of the men had blonde hair, I carried that thought on to this....

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/tom-colicchio-rocks-full-head-of-hair-in-old-picture-on-top-chef-2013121

Too adorbs for words! :)

Remember Big Gay Richard & his bear-crush on Tom?

That was also adorable.

And TudorQueen, I just recently re-watched that episode w/Natasha Richardson. It was horribly sad to see her enthusiasm and beauty, and to know how the world is a less bright place w/o her. Not to mention the loss to her husband, sons, parents & sister.

Edited by roamyn

Though Padma can be brusque, I do still like her. (My friend, on the other hand, is all the way over her this season.) I adore Tom, but I think that adoration has grown over the years since I've learned what he does with his "celebrity"/food voice for those less fortunate than he.

As for guest judges, I will forever love Bourdain and Ripert.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 2

Guest judges, like those on most reality shows, vary wildly in quality. I'm always thrilled to see Hubert or Thomas Keller (not related to each other, but I think they're both amazing), and other major league chefs. They're usually right on top of the situation. I agree with roamyn that Rick Tramonte would have been worth it just for his exchange with Spike over the scallops. Also agree that Daniel Boulud and Eric Ripert were fantastic.  I see that Ming Tsai is going to judge at some point this season, and I can't wait.

Loved Bourdain whenever he was on. He seemed to really have fun with it. The one I can do without is Puck-don't think he is clever or funny.

And I love Tramonto for nailing Spike, but then again, I love anyone who puts Spike in his place.

I actually forgot how much I love Anthony Bourdain - I practically memorized "Kitchen Confidential" when it came out, and love him as a judge on just about any cooking show (he actually made "The Taste" a lot better than it would have been otherwise.)

Favorite quote has got to be "What kind of crack house are you running?" to Tom Colicchio on an early season of TC.

• Love 2

Anthony is the love of my life in the food world.  I adore that man.  I  am a HUGE fan of Tom C and Gail.  Of course the greats like Ripert and others are in my top 10 but I am talking about who takes my heart here.  Gail is fucking adorable.  Love that woman. 

Edited by wings707

I love Padma (do we have an Unpopular Opinions thread? If so I'll go over there). I've enjoyed watching her gain confidence and voice, and seeing the other, more experienced judges come to respect her a little more. Her relationship with Colicchio is adorable. And she is so damn stunning. I don't know if she's stoned at work or not. I like her enough that I don't care (apart from professionalism issues).

I agree completely and for the same reasons.

• Love 1

I cannot stand Michelle Bernstein.  She always, always, always comes off as so affected, to me.  I do generally like the others you mention, even Bourdain, though I agree with those who say he sometimes tries a little too hard.

I miss Ted Allen, who was a judge in the early seasons.  I mean, I like him on Chopped, but I miss him in his role as judge at TC because I always felt he gave constructive criticism.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 1

The one I can do without is Puck-don't think he is clever or funny.

I liked that Puck is pretty much the only Top Chef judge who calls out some of the laziness in design or over affected preciousness you see on the show(Top Chef Canada's judges do that a lot more). Like I loved it when he commented on liking the one dish of the night that didn't have a puree on it because he doesn't need babyfood with his meals, and i'm totally with that because the purees on the show have always looked like gross baby food.

• Love 1

At least Padma looks like herself in those photos, which is encouraging if they are very recent.  Something about her appearance on this season of "Top Chef" is off and bothering me.  Her face looks like a burn victim's.  Too much Botox, perhaps?

• Love 2

This season, perhaps more than other seasons, Padma has looked almost scary-thin to me.  She's quite tall, and of course her stilettos make her seem taller, and she's nothing but skin and bones!  She looks like she doesn't eat much more than her little girl does.  I wonder whether she worries about tasting all this food and gaining weight, which would be silly since she only tastes a bite.  I read recently that the "ideal weight" in Hollywood now is no longer size 2, but size 0.  Who wears a size zero???

I really think that Padma should hire Chef Floyd Cardoz to cook Indian for her.  She could scarf out on all those Indian dishes and fill out a little bit.  I can almost hear her reply:  "Oh, dear!  But then I'd wear a size 2!"

Padma could honestly be worried about gaining weight.  I remember reading an article about her during season 6 and she actually complained about how she would typically gain about ten pounds while the seasons would shoot.  She said that she would then work extra hard at losing them and seemed dead serious at being horrified at this side effect of being on the show.  I think the pressure to be stick skinny in Hollywood probably surrounds her every minute she's awake.

Mileage must vary but this is a collection of quotes from interviews Padma has made about gaining weight during the season and losing it with links to longer articles, doesn't seem to me that she was horrified or complaining about gaining weight, just that it is what it is. I imagine that most people would like to eat/drink less after a season of filming a show consuming such rich foods. The main difference is no one asks Tom or any other male judge how they deal with the weight. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

The first time I ever saw Hugh Atchison, several years ago, I thought he was a dork.  He fooled around a lot and seemed more eager to be on TV than to win a cooking contest.  Over the years, though, he's grown on me, and I like him  now very much.  He's still funny, but he makes good observations about the food.  On this show, I liked the way he talked right back to Aaron.  When the other judges get too analytical about the food or the presentation, Hugh can come into the conversation with a great one-liner!  I think he's exactly what the show needs, and he brings it.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

I unabashedly love Colicchio, and I love when Bourdain guests because he can really get Tom loosened up and genuinely laughing.

I think Emeril was a really great judge-so kind and constructive. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Rocco, too.

Johnny Iuzzini was kind of a dick, along with Roy Choi (is that the food truck guy's name?).  Calm down, dude, these guys aren't pastry chefs.

Eric Ripert and Hubert Keller need to be on every episode with their mellifluous accents and sharp, on point criticism.  And their handsomeness.

I think the best novelty judges/guests were Anna Faris and Chris Pratt.  They were really amped to eat.

• Love 3

I had to analyze what it is about Tom that makes him so appealing to me, and I think I've finally got it.  It's his mind.  He is passionate about the things that matter to him, whether they have to do with cooking, the Democratic party, the women in his life, his family, the charities he supports, and everything else that matters to him.  When his baby son, Marco, had his first birthday, no one was more focused on making it perfect than Tom was.   He can be eloquent when speaking about his interests, and Inside him burns a hot Italian fire!

By the same token, I sense a hint of a stubborn man in Tom.  My guess is that when he sets his sights on achieving a goal, he does so with conviction.  I would not want to be a member of the opposition.  He has a quick wit and a ripe sense of humor that amuses me when he laughs.  Like his speech, he laughs in staccato and reminds me of an automatic machine gun.  Everything he utters is fast! 

As a judge, I think Tom tries to be fair.  Certainly, he has his favorites, but he masks them well when the cameras roll.  I respect him for his stand against unfairness.  I don't always agree with Tom, but I think he tries.  I wish I knew Tom better.  That is always a mark of someone I find interesting. 

Edited by Lura

I have been watching Season 3, when Tom called Hung out for making salmon mousse as being an old dish but a  few challenges later the chefs were called on to recreate a classic LeCirque (sp) dish. I thought that Hung replied perfectly by saying that just because something was good in the past doesn't mean that it isn't good now.

Bravo posted an interview recently in which Padma named her worst dishes she ever tasted on TC. Someone shared it on the Facebook page of one of the chefs mentioned, and she was pretty good-natured about the comments. But what followed was really eye-opening. Several TC alums posted how much they disliked Padma and the way she treated the chefs on the show. One said, "nasty bitch...". Here is the article if you would like to read it.

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/padma-reveals-her-worst-top-chef-dishes-ever?CID=TC_post

Bravo posted an interview recently in which Padma named her worst dishes she ever tasted on TC. Someone shared it on the Facebook page of one of the chefs mentioned, and she was pretty good-natured about the comments. But what followed was really eye-opening. Several TC alums posted how much they disliked Padma and the way she treated the chefs on the show. One said, "nasty bitch...". Here is the article if you would like to read it.

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/padma-reveals-her-worst-top-chef-dishes-ever?CID=TC_post

Could we possibly get a link to the facebook page? In return, I offer  thoughts about Miss Padma from fellow judge Anthony Bourdain...

The chef's page is private, so no... and I'm not sure the other chefs who don't like Padma want that broadcast, either. :)

I am not sure what this means.  Anything posted on FB, no matter what settings you use, should be considered as public. I would be shocked if other chefs talked badly about another chef on FB and didn't want it to eventually get out.  

By private, it's only seen by people on that person's friends list.

Yes, of course.  My point was anyone on the friends list could easily copy what anyone says and repeat it anywhere.   Just saying FB is not all that private, really.