Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Girl Meets Flaws

Graduation already? Even BMW didn't go this fast through school!

I think it was just the end of the school year. Could be wrong on that though. It seemed like the kind of awards you'd have at the end of the school year iirc. It's been a long time, so my memory is a bit hazy on it though to be sure on it.

Graduation already? Even BMW didn't go this fast through school!

Especially since we've still got a Christmas episode coming. I liked this episode, but I liked last week's better. I think Farkle looks a lot better in the button down shirts than the turtlenecks, but Farkle needs to wear what he likes/what the costuming department puts him in. I also felt that Lucas calling Farkle buddy was a bit patronizing. Their dynamic seems very big brother/little brother. I really liked Ava's 'spoiled rotten' entrance, though I don't know why Cory and Topanga put up with her coming over unannounced, especially when Auggie wasn't home.

Speaking of Auggie, which grandparents was he staying with? Surely they didn't send him to Philadelphia for the night. And don't Topanga's parents live in Pittsburgh? I suppose one of Topanga's parents could have moved, but I think they should have said he was sleeping over at a friend's house as well.

It was exciting to see Malala mentioned in the episode since I just finished reading her book, though I wish they'd filmed a version of Riley mentioning her win of the Nobel Peace Prize.

I think I would put my neighbor's head through a wall if they ever dumped their kid on me like that, especially without a real excuse.  Only on TV to people put up with something like that.

After a slow start, Lucas seems to be doing well on the show now.

(edited)

That scene at the end was horribly cheesy and unrealistic. Do you actually think a bully is gonna stand up in front of the entire class and  tell everyone "I'm just jealous" LOL maybe in a fantasy land not in real life.

I hated the scene with Lucas in the gym and him pushing Billy. It just happened so fast and it cut away so quick the emotional impact I was hyping up for wasn't there.

Edited by NickDisnCart
  • Love 4

I think it was just the end of the school year. Could be wrong on that though. It seemed like the kind of awards you'd have at the end of the school year iirc. It's been a long time, so my memory is a bit hazy on it though to be sure on it.

We are on episode 13 and Cory specially said graduation. Either way 9 episodes left and I bet they will be right in school on the next episode.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 1

We are on episode 13 and Cory specially said graduation. Either way 9 episodes left and I bet they will be right in school on the next episode.

O_O Ok... Maybe they meant for the 8th graders? That only makes sense. Unless it's 8th-12th graders in high school where they're at.

Lucas said Farkle "is his best friend?"  Lucas, going a bit overboard there.  I guess you're friends.  You're definitely not best friends.  Exaggerate too much, and Farkle will see right through that as well.

Maybe Cory and Topanga just need to learn how to lock their first door?  They do live in a big city.  Locked door = no Ava.  Done.  And speaking of the younger cast, no Auggie.  Hooray!  He's just so over-the-top that I find him incredibly annoying.

I was thinking that Malala winning the Nobel Piece Prize should have been included, but once I realized that only happened a week ago, I don't think it would have been realistic for them to get it in the show.

I think the thing that I found the most intriguing about the show was that it was an anti-bullying episode, but the word "bully" was never said.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I really liked the episode.  I really think the show has found its footing in the last couple of episodes.  I don't agree that Lucas and Farkle aren't best friends.  They are always together and they look out for one another especially on Lucas' part.  It definitely mirrors Maya and Riley's relationship with Maya and Lucas being the more worldly counterparts in the relationship.  It was really nice to see how much they cared about Farkle.

I'm glad we got to meet another student.  Do we know anyone else's name in the class?  I've seen the tattletale girl a couple of times but I'm not sure if I know her name.

I didn't think it was weird that Auggie was with his grandparents for the night.  Maybe they were giving Cory and Topanga a date night?  I seem to be in the minority in liking Auggie.  I will be happy when he returns.  I never thought that Ava would grow on me but somehow she has.  I really liked the last seen that she and Topanga shared together.

Riley did in fact mention that Malala was the youngest nominee of the Nobel Peace Prize. This episode was written and filmed months ago so you can't blame them for not mentioning that she actually won it.

I don't think it's so far-fetched that Lucas considers Farkle his best friend. He just moved into town after all, and we haven't really seen him interact with anyone outside of Farkle, Riley and Maya (at least until this episode, with Mr. Jealous).

Anyway I thought this was a pretty great episode; one of the season's best, along with last week's. This show can be pretty cheesy for any audience member over 15 years old, but it has a lot of good qualities too, and I think it's been on a positive trajectory lately.

I will keep watching, if not only in loyalty to Boy Meets World. It would be cool to see these characters get older and deal with more adult issues just like BMW did.

• Love 1

I didn't think it was weird that Auggie was with his grandparents for the night.  Maybe they were giving Cory and Topanga a date night?  I seem to be in the minority in liking Auggie.  I will be happy when he returns.  I never thought that Ava would grow on me but somehow she has.  I really liked the last seen that she and Topanga shared together.

Auggie will return in the next episode

Skyfall, at the beginning of the episode, Cory said Maya received the Griff Hawkins totally cool award.

I loved seeing Harley again. And it said Auggie was at his grandparents, but would he not be in school as well?

Ah thanks!

I thought the ending was cheesy, but I liked most of it. I liked Lucas's assertion that intelligent people don't resort to violence, but that he and Cory both almost went there. Good comedy and believable human behavior. 

I agree that Lucas and Farkle are probably best friends. We know they hang out together without the girls, and while Farkle has his nerdy friends, Lucas has never been shown with anyone else. Plus, I think this is the first time either of them realized they were best friends.

One thing I hope this show copies from Boy Meets World is getting rid of the handshake things after the first season. Ugh. Stop it. They're only funny a couple of times.

Ava interrupted Cory/Topanga nuzzling time. She must be destroyed.

• Love 2

I live in a quite little town and I lock my front door as soon as I walk in. The most unrealistic thing about this show yet (and this show is far from realistic) is that Cory and Topanga would not lock their front door in a freaking apartment building where anyone off the street could get through the front door (even it that does lock, you just follow in someone else who does belong in the building, like you are visiting a friend and bam psycho killer/robber/rapist is in the building and can access your front door).  That really bugged. Even more than the stupid idea of writing your flaw on your forehead or Riley being able to leave class whenever she feels like it, or hijack it to deal with her personal issues every time she has an issue she wants to talk to her daddy about.

All that said, I kind of love this silly little show. I have to often remind myself, it's for kids under 15 really and I think on that level it works well. I still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that the kids in Cory's class are all supposed to be the same age. They are, right? I mean, they're in the same class, so the same grade = the same age (give or take a year). Riley looks every bit her 12 years old but Lucas looks about 15-16, Farkle I could buy as 12. Maya as a rather worldly 12. That random bully friend looked about 15-16 and tattletale girl also looked older. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it is weird. I am fine with Riley having a crush on the older boy, Lucas, but get a little icked out when it seems like Lucas likes her back, because to me he seems too old to be perving on a 12 year old girl.

Ava is not a good trade for Auggie.  Frankly it's a lose-lose for us, the viewers.

These episodes are not necessarily being shown in filming order (in fact, I'm certain they're not).

Yep, locking the door would be an option especially if you're going to be having some alone time. I mean, that does make sense doesn't it?? Locking the door.??

Farkle and Lucas best friends? Not buying it. I just don't sorry.

All too happy fairly land fantasy for me; I've never seen a bully fold like that and confess to anything in front of a class let alone apologise.

I did read Riley's walk outs in class would be addressed in season 2. For now, it's cute and tolerable.

I do like the show but I grew up watching Cory and Topanga so I'm more interested in seeing how they are together now.

Does anyone else see Topanga not really getting into the part yet, somewhat forced still?

Some more C/T flashbacks would be appreciated.

Agree some of these ages need to be addressed cause looking seriously out of place. I pegged Lucas about 16!

BMW didn't actually take off till S2, so let's see how GMW goes. :)

• Love 1
The most unrealistic thing about this show yet (and this show is far from realistic) is that Cory and Topanga would not lock their front door in a freaking apartment building where anyone off the street could get through the front door

No one who lives in Sitcomlandia locks their doors. The "Friends" didn't, "Seinfeld" didn't, the Riccardos didn't, no one does. It's a conceit of living in Sitcomlandia.

I was concerned, based on the previews, that this was going to be a Very Special Episode, but I think they stopped it from becoming that. In fact, I kind of loved this episode (and the last one too). 

I think the thing that I found the most intriguing about the show was that it was an anti-bullying episode, but the word "bully" was never said.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I thought that too, but was it really bullying? Billy told Farkle he was weird and didn't deserve his friends, but was there a pattern of intimidation and harassment? It seems like he hurt Farkle's feelings once or twice, which happens to all kids. 

I found it interesting that it was the black kid who kept insisting that Farkle was not "one of us," and Lucas shouldn't be friends with him. I wondered why they never said it was because Lucas and Billy were jocks (and therefore "better" than the other kids in school).

I was wondering how long it was going to take Cory to realize Lucas was in Riley's room.

I'm thinking that Lucas is going to get pretty good at bolting out of girls' windows when their fathers or husbands come home.

knew that Janitor Harley was atoning for his past sins as a bully. Did Corey get him his job out of kindness or from a sense of "revenge is a dish best served cold"?

Ava is not a good trade for Auggie.  Frankly it's a lose-lose for us, the viewers.

I don't know, I thought Ava was hilarious this time. While it was pretty cool to see Topanga and Corey about to enjoy some "snugglebunny" time (on a Disney show!), Ava interrupting them made me laugh. And then I felt sorry for her -- obviously her parents fight all the time (with the mother browbeating the poor father ad nauseum). I liked that Topanga recognized that the girl's home life probably sucks and welcomed her to breakfast, although I hope they go back to being mortal enemies next episode. Something about Topanga's mortal enemy being a 6-year-old girl makes me laugh.

• Love 2

Hi, everyone!  This is just a polite request to please, if at all possible, do a quick proofing of posts before you post them. This isn't TWoP and we're a bit more chill here - and Lord knows, a board shouldn't be a classroom (what fun is that, right?) - but it just makes them more easily understood.

Don't worry, we don't expect perfection. Just clarity.

Thanks again and carry on!

• Love 4

I thought that too, but was it really bullying? Billy told Farkle he was weird and didn't deserve his friends, but was there a pattern of intimidation and harassment? It seems like he hurt Farkle's feelings once or twice, which happens to all kids.

Yeah, I didn't see it so much as bullying, as just making some mean comments. The way Harley treated Cory as a youngster, constantly picking on him and threatening him, that is what I consider bullying. I'm one who thinks the term "bullying" is overused. My daughter's teacher told her 3rd grade class that if anyone is mean to you, you should tell an adult that you're being bullied. I explained to my daughter that just because the boy sitting next to her in class said he didn't like her drawing of a pink dragon, that was not a reason to tell the teacher she was being bullied and get that boy in trouble (which is what happened).

This episode seemed a little contradictory to me. Farkle was upset that Billy said he was weird. Maya said, "But you ARE weird." Billy said he didn't like Farkle's turtlenecks, so Farkle gave them to Harley. Harley made a negative comment about the turtlenecks as well and said he didn't want them. Lucas has made fun of Farkle's name in past episodes. So if a big bad mean jock makes fun of you or says something mean, it's awful. But if your friends and trusted adults say the same thing, it's funny or acceptable?

• Love 1

Yeah, I didn't see it so much as bullying, as just making some mean comments. The way Harley treated Cory as a youngster, constantly picking on him and threatening him, that is what I consider bullying. I'm one who thinks the term "bullying" is overused. My daughter's teacher told her 3rd grade class that if anyone is mean to you, you should tell an adult that you're being bullied. I explained to my daughter that just because the boy sitting next to her in class said he didn't like her drawing of a pink dragon, that was not a reason to tell the teacher she was being bullied and get that boy in trouble (which is what happened).

This episode seemed a little contradictory to me. Farkle was upset that Billy said he was weird. Maya said, "But you ARE weird." Billy said he didn't like Farkle's turtlenecks, so Farkle gave them to Harley. Harley made a negative comment about the turtlenecks as well and said he didn't want them. Lucas has made fun of Farkle's name in past episodes. So if a big bad mean jock makes fun of you or says something mean, it's awful. But if your friends and trusted adults say the same thing, it's funny or acceptable?

Friends are allowed to bust balls as long as the person knows it's not serious.

• Love 1

I feel like intent has a lot to do with it. Maya frequently says mean things to Lucas, but not out of dislike. She called Farkle weird, but her meaning was that there was nothing wrong with that. Lucas has said the name was strange and expressed surprise but not actually made fun of it. I think we can't know exactly if it was bullying without hearing what Billy said, but based on Farkle's reaction, I assume it was. I don't think "you're nothing" can be taken lightly even by friends. Farkle sounded broken when he told Riley what happened. I don't think a one time comment would have shaken his confidence in himself and his friendship with Lucas the way it did. 

And I have to say, for a character I found kind of annoying at first, I think Corey Fogelmanis has settled into the character well and gave a good performance in this episode. He and Peyton Meyer's Lucas have come a long way since the pilot.

• Love 1

Excellent points about the contradictory moments on this episode.  We never see Farkle being bullied, we just hear about it.

There are legitimate problems with bullying out there and it's good to confront it.  But society today just doesn't want to tell kids that there are people out there who just aren't going to like you.  That's just life.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

There are legitimate problems with bullying out there and it's good to confront it.  But society today just doesn't want to tell kids that there are people out there who jus aren't going to like you.  That's just life.

Yeah, that's actually where I was hoping Topanga was going when she told Ava to never change and to just be herself.  Kissing her on the cheek and then kicking her out because the fact of the matter is just that Topanga doesn't like her.

• Love 1

Don't know what I found funnier, Maya's "Why don't you love us" line about the Pop-Tarts or Cory and Topanga's sad jazz hands.

I wished Ava hadn't mentioned Topanga's continuous Ava exit routine. I was hoping it was going to be a thing silmilar to how Uncle Phil would toss Jazz out of the house on Fresh Prince.

Edited by BigPaul25

My husband walked in for the last 7 minutes of this show while I was watching it. His questions:

1. "You are 20 years too old to be watching this TV show. How in the world could this POSSIBLY appeal to you?"

and my favorite:

2. "Oh, this must be a bully episode. Let me guess...the bully is the black kid? Figures. How many other black kids are on this show? Oh, none? Surprise, surprise."

He had a point on both fronts. Side notes: Ava is a huge brat that I don't enjoy watching. Auggie doesn't annoy me as much as he seems to annoy others, but they need to write him to act his age. Farkle needs to suck it up.

My husband walked in for the last 7 minutes of this show while I was watching it. His questions:

1. "You are 20 years too old to be watching this TV show. How in the world could this POSSIBLY appeal to you?"

and my favorite:

2. "Oh, this must be a bully episode. Let me guess...the bully is the black kid? Figures. How many other black kids are on this show? Oh, none? Surprise, surprise."

He had a point on both fronts. Side notes: Ava is a huge brat that I don't enjoy watching. Auggie doesn't annoy me as much as he seems to annoy others, but they need to write him to act his age. Farkle needs to suck it up.

Imo, any time I hear something like that, it seems like an excuse. I didn't envy his character tbh. Went through a similar situation around his age. Yes I did grow a thicker skin, but it still doesn't excuse bullying, in any form that it's in. Also, I think Farkle did grow by the end of the episode. Along with the rest of the children. They learned that they all have their own faults and flaws and it's better to be inclusive than exclusive.

Also, the bully being a black kid has little to do with the subject at hand. He's a jock and someone that needed to learn that he wasn't better than anyone else. That's how I viewed it. Color didn't really enter the picture all that much,

• Love 1

I thought this was one of the strongest episodes yet. It had the potential to be way too "very special" episodey but avoided it for the most part.

As for this being the graduation episode, I believe the original order was for 13 episodes, which this was. More episodes were added later extending the season. It's likely this was originally the final episode but future episodes those season will still be set in 8th grade

Words do hurt, believe me. Negative comments can be devastating.

No one is denying that, but the show didn't give us anything to indicate there had been prolonged "bullying."

Farkle needs to suck it up.
Imo, any time I hear something like that, it seems like an excuse. 

Maybe we coddle our children too much and teach them to expect that the world is all peaches and sunshine and rainbow unicorns. There is something to be said for "sucking it up" and dealing with life's adversities.

• Love 1

No one is denying that, but the show didn't give us anything to indicate there had been prolonged "bullying."

Maybe we coddle our children too much and teach them to expect that the world is all peaches and sunshine and rainbow unicorns. There is something to be said for "sucking it up" and dealing with life's adversities.

The show showed how bullying can affect people. No matter the situation. Even if it only takes place over a shorter period of time.

I agree to a point. Some kids today have been too sheltered in that regard. But, playing devil's advocate, using coddling as an excuse, doesn't excuse bullies either for their behavior.

People can deal with adversity, without being told platitudes that deal with how to do it. That doesn't do all that good in the end imo. Children will still have to get over it, and if it takes longer for a kid to do so, they shouldn't be punished for it (meaning being called weak, etc.). They'll get over it eventually in time.

But to be fair, if they've been through enough bullying, it'll probably end up traumatizing them further, making it so it takes that much longer to get over it. So to tell someone to 'suck it up' doesn't make a difference in that kind of situation. In fact, it could make the kid feel that much worse about themselves.

• Love 1

Also, the bully being a black kid has little to do with the subject at hand. He's a jock and someone that needed to learn that he wasn't better than anyone else. That's how I viewed it. Color didn't really enter the picture all that much,

I couldn't sense any agenda  with the bully happening to be black. It seemed a colorblind casting choice.

That said, SlothLoveChunk's husband has a major and valid point. Even if there's zero bad intentions here, there's a problem that the first (and seemingly only) speaking role we get for a black kid (actually maybe even for any minority kid--has there been a speaking role for an Asian or Hispanic or Indian/Pakistani kid before this, for example) on the show is the bully. It's not that he's a bully that's the problem for me--it's the way it worked out that it's the only representation we're getting. Riley, Lucas, Farkle, and even Maya (the "poor kid") are all white as the driven snow. Not that I suggest getting rid of any of them, but at the very least we need some"reoccuring" guest kids in those other seats who aren't from the same ethnic stock and who actually get to speak. I suppose if we get to see the bully kid again, that'll be one--but it's just annoying that had to be how we were introduced to racial diversity inwhat's supposed to be New York City--the single most racially diverse place on Earth in reality, bar none.

• Love 1

I will keep watching, if not only in loyalty to Boy Meets World. It would be cool to see these characters get older and deal with more adult issues just like BMW did.I will keep watching, if not only in loyalty to Boy Meets World. It would be cool to see these characters get older and deal with more adult issues just like BMW did.

Unfortunately, this is Disney, so we'll never get to see things like the prom episode where Topanga and Corey debate having sex or anything like that. I loved Good Luck Charlie, but it was absolutely weird to see an 18-year old girl never once kiss despite the fact that she had at least two love interests on that show.

Disney didn't used to be like that- Lizzie McGuire covered things like getting bras and first kisses, but in the recent era they've gotten really strict about not ever seeing showing these kids kiss or show off any kind of teenage hormones. We'll see if whether or not the show tries to go to bat and fight that, at least a little bit.

Unfortunately, this is Disney, so we'll never get to see things like the prom episode where Topanga and Corey debate having sex or anything like that. I loved Good Luck Charlie, but it was absolutely weird to see an 18-year old girl never once kiss despite the fact that she had at least two love interests on that show.

Disney didn't used to be like that- Lizzie McGuire covered things like getting bras and first kisses, but in the recent era they've gotten really strict about not ever seeing showing these kids kiss or show off any kind of teenage hormones. We'll see if whether or not the show tries to go to bat and fight that, at least a little bit.

They have some what, in regards to innuendo. Hopefully they'll continue on that end.

Come to think of it... after reading all of your opinions/views on this particular episode, I would like to partly conclude this forum by stating a couple key factors onto why this episode (if looked at a different way) is not formally portraying the message it wants to portray to their audience. First off like people have said above, the scene where the bully admits his flaw is not at all real. there is not one person on this planet who is a bully who willingly commits why he acts the way he does in front of his entire class. When Farkle told Riley, Maya, etc. that he was being bullied, (like the person above stated) Why isn't Farkle telling all of this to Cory?

The past episodes clearly show that Cory and Farkle have a strong student-teacher relationship going on. Plus the message of Harley bullying Cory when he was a kid and then ending up as a janitor was a really poor threat on what happens to you if you were a bully at school. If you learn from your mistakes there is no guarantee you'll end up with a comparatively bad occupation than the person you bullied. I think this shouldn't be focused upon but it still is a factor to bring up.

As my concluding point with explanation of course. I would like to make a statement which might seem so controversial but it's my opinion or way of looking at it. Lucas was the real bully in this episode. Like many others have said above Lucas was not Farkle's best friend. They both were true opposites yet the same if you see where i am getting at. But to make this not at all more long-winded, Farkle did not like Lucas at first and same with Lucas not liking Farkle. Also there is also some solid proof. When Billy openly said to Lucas, Maya, and Riley that Farkle is stupid and doesn't deserve friends etc. Lucas got so mad and cowardly pinned Billy to the wall due to his anger.

To me that really says something about Lucas' anger. If you see Billy did not use any kind of physical contact against Lucas or Farkle! Disney pulled a controversial move with this scene. I know that when someone of something you love is being hurt by someone else you tend to express your emotions physically, but this happening with Lucas especially is a bit surprising. To conclude, I would have to say even though this episode had a good message to choose kindness and stop bullying, there were a few minor-major mistakes made that, if looked at closely, can change someone's perspective which can lead you to missing the whole lesson/moral of the episode.

Edited by DiffPerspect

Come to think of it... after reading all of your opinions/views on this particular episode, I would like to partly conclude this forum by stating a couple key factors onto why this episode (if looked at a different way) is not formally portraying the message it wants to portray to their audience.

First off like people have said above, the scene where the bully admits his flaw is not at all real. there is not one person on this planet who is a bully who willingly commits why he acts the way he does in front of his entire class. When Farkle told Riley, Maya, etc. that he was being bullied, (like the person above stated) Why isn't Farkle telling all of this to Cory?

The past episodes clearly show that Cory and Farkle have a strong student-teacher relationship going on. Plus the message of Harley bullying Cory when he was a kid and then ending up as a janitor was a really poor threat on what happens to you if you were a bully at school. If you learn from your mistakes there is no guarantee you'll end up with a comparatively bad occupation than the person you bullied.

I think this shouldn't be focused upon but it still is a factor to bring up. As my concluding point with explanation of course. I would like to make a statement which might seem so controversial but it's my opinion or way of looking at it. Lucas was the real bully in this episode. Like many others have said above Lucas was not Farkle's best friend. They both were true opposites yet the same if you see where i am getting at.

But to make this not at all more long-winded, Farkle did not like Lucas at first and same with Lucas not liking Farkle. Also there is also some solid proof. When Billy openly said to Lucas, Maya, and Riley that Farkle is stupid and doesn't deserve friends etc. Lucas got so mad and cowardly pinned Billy to the wall due to his anger. To me that really says something about Lucas' anger.

If you see Billy did not use any kind of physical contact against Lucas or Farkle! Disney pulled a controversial move with this scene. I know that when someone of something you love is being hurt by someone else you tend to express your emotions physically, but this happening with Lucas especially is a bit surprising.

To conclude, I would have to say even though this episode had a good message to choose kindness and stop bullying, there were a few minor-major mistakes made that, if looked at closely, can change someone's perspective which can lead you to missing the whole lesson/moral of the episode.  

Good points. I kind of view that scene as the bully learning his lesson, that he too isn't perfect, that he has flaws as well. Yes it's most likely something that wouldn't happen in real life, but it was still a good thing to show. It lets kids know that no one is perfect and it's better to try to own our flaws and not let others try to use them against us.

Lucas's anger is something he needs to work on. Again no one is perfect, and in that situation, he was defending his friend. Was it the right way to go, no. But it was better than him just ignoring Farkle outright. That to me, would have been even worse. It would have shown that he didn't care about Farkle at all.

Also, you might want to edit your original post. It's rather hard to read. Had to space it out via quote so I could respond to it.

yes I had a rewatch of this ep and where I think it went wrong is that they involved Harley.

Now Harley was a for real bully of which harsh words were the least of his repitore. Involving him with farkle led us to believe what happened to farkle was way worse than what actually happened. We didn't see what happened to farkle so it was left to our imaginations.

It's kind of a guilt by association because most of us know how bad Harley really was from BMW.

Personally I think Farkle should have toughened up, kids will be mean, and he way over reacted by hiding and Corey should have got in there and dealt with it but it's Disney. right? :)

Also be very curious to see how Corey and Topanga will deal with the sex kissing thing re Riley given this was almost the time (age wise) in BMW that C/T were all over each other. Should be interesting.

I found, in BMW, that the premise nothing but kissing till we're married extremely unrealistic and was Topanga's power play over Corey. Noted not BMW thread just agreeing with above posters.

Lucas and Farkle? No way best buds. I would think merely classmates. There's been nothing much between them in past ep's to lead me to believe that they were best buds.

But as previously stated give this series some time to get established it's still pretty early but I definitely intend to address plot holes in the series

BMW was full of em.

Good points. I kind of view that scene as the bully learning his lesson, that he too isn't perfect, that he has flaws as well. Yes it's most likely something that wouldn't happen in real life, but it was still a good thing to show. It lets kids know that no one is perfect and it's better to try to own our flaws and not let others try to use them against us.

Lucas's anger is something he needs to work on. Again no one is perfect, and in that situation, he was defending his friend. Was it the right way to go, no. But it was better than him just ignoring Farkle outright. That to me, would have been even worse. It would have shown that he didn't care about Farkle at all.

Also, you might want to edit your original post. It's rather hard to read. Had to space it out via quote so I could respond to it.

I would confidently say that even while defending a friend you really have no right to physically shove someone back (even if it is the bully) if the bully did not show any kind of physical violence, Billy only showed verbal. In some cases if someone does something to hurt your so called "friend" there is not a high chance the defender of that friend will push him back and hold him to the wall. After all of this even if it does happen, this should not really be showed on TV because there is a high chance this might cause a reaction by the audience also keeping in mind that the kids who watch these shows are still learning about the world and developing their own individual personalities.

All of the viewers of this show know that Farkle and Lucas are not best friends at all. Just because they are in the same class and in the same group doesn't show that they are best friends. It only shows that there is not another actor out there hired by Disney who is willing to play such a role of defending Farkle in this episode

Now realizing there is one more flaw in this episode (no pun intended..). Riley. She needs to realize that you can't fix everything that life throws at you. Let me remind all of you that the shows name is "Girl Meets World". Riley is the girl who has to face the world in front of her like Cory has done in "Boy Meets World". The world is a harsh place filled with harsh people. Everything does not go your way and your actions will not always affect the world in front of you.

This episode should have not focused on the bully admitting his fault, but should have focus on Farkle dealing with bullies and the results of what happens when you tell a teacher, your friends, or your parents about the situations that occur in school that you are not fine with. Riley, Maya, and Lucas should have gave Farkle confidence to go and confront the bully and say that you will not listen to any of this anymore and you have to apologize or face the consequences that would be the result in bullying for the bully.

Again I say that the following is my opinion about this episode. The message of this episode was a very good one and I really am proud of Disney for actually transferring a pure message to one of its shows. But the problem is that the way they tried to portray the message was very controversial looking from both standpoints. Disney stretched the portraying of the message so far that as the audience we don't see this being close to realistic acting wise and situational wise. This might be a strong statement but to some extent it is true: This is the most controversial Girl Meets World episode yet... I just hope that the future episodes will provide the clean and pure messages the show has been giving us since its pilot episode.

I didn't even blink at the idea of Lucas and Farkle being best friends.  They're in a group of 4 friends who hang out together all the time.  We haven't seen either with someone else who would be considered their "best friend."  

As for Lucas losing his temper on the bully, I think it happens.  Even the most "perfect" of us out there, when someone is treating one of our friends like shit, that's going to be a hot button, and our first impulse is likely to be not the best reaction.  I think that's also kind of the "theme" that DC is going for in their bullying episodes - they understand that the initial impulse is to lash out in some way, but it's not the right thing to do. I think that by ignoring that very real human emotion/reaction, they'd be doing a disservice to their message.  They did a different spin on that in the Austin & Ally bullying episode - the friends all wanted to set up a way to publicly humiliate the girl who was bullying Trish (online bullying in that instance), and Trish stopped them when she found out, saying it wouldn't make it better to sink to that level.  So, in that regard, I kind of like that Disney is acknowledging that a lot of people will want to strike back in some way, but ultimately showing that it's not the right way to handle it.  

As for the debate on whether kids need to develop a thicker skin and get over it, I fall on the side that, yes, kids need to learn that the world is not a perfect place, and they should learn ways to cope when that world is unfair/mean.  However, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do everything we can to stop bullying and support the kids who are being bullied, whether that bullying is physical or verbal.  I think we can do both - teach kids how to deal with the rough times in life while still making sure we address the bullying as it happens.  And each kid is going to learn how to cope with this at their own pace. So every kid who feels bullied needs to be given the support and guidance to navigate the issue so that they feel safe, both physically and emotionally.  Telling them to "toughen up" or "get over it," does no good, and, in some cases, will make the whole situation worse for the child.  

Personally I think Farkle should have toughened up, kids will be mean, and he way over reacted by hiding and Corey should have got in there and dealt with it but it's Disney. right? :)

Also be very curious to see how Corey and Topanga will deal with the sex kissing thing re Riley given this was almost the time (age wise) in BMW that C/T were all over each other. Should be interesting.

I found, in BMW, that the premise nothing but kissing till we're married extremely unrealistic and was Topanga's power play over Corey. 

Since we didn't really see exactly what was said to Farkle, how it was said, etc, I don't think it's easy to decide that he over-reacted.  Plus, I think each kid is allowed to react to something like that in their own way.  Not to mention, bullies are usually adept at picking out the kids who will be most affected by their abuse, so, they're more likely to react more strongly.  

As for the BMW issue - I don't see how that's a "power play."  Some people, male and female, believe in waiting until marriage, and it's not about power, it's about what they believe in regards to sex in relationships.  It's not manipulative, and Topanga was never using that to pressure him to propose.  

Aside from that, of course, the main issue with it was that there was no way that show was going to go there with them having sex before marriage.  BMW wasn't an edgy teen drama, it was a mostly wholesome family sitcom aimed at a younger audience (not quite Disney Channel pure, but it was certainly no 90210 type show).  

• Love 1