Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Girl Meets Flaws

The way Harley treated Cory as a youngster, constantly picking on him and threatening him, that is what I consider bullying.

This brings up a theory that I have, that Minkus was dropped before the beginning of Season 2 of BMW in order to have Cory be the one who was bullied when Cory and his class entered 7th grade at the (John Adams) junior-senior high school.  This time, Riley and her class is already in 7th grade, which I thought was so they wouldn't the same problem with having the teacher change schools with the students as they twice had to do with Mr. Feeney!  So I'm not sure what they would be doing having these students graduating to another school.

By the way, speaking of handshakes, the aforementioned BMW season 2 opener had one of Cory and Shawn's more memorable ones:

(They hadn't met Harley yet LOL)

Finally, remember that Lucas just moved to NYC from Texas a few months ago.  He bonded with this group (Riley, Maya and Farkle) immediately.  Remember he was there at the end of the first episode with the Matthews family and Farkle when Riley and Maya had their "rite of passage" going unaccompanied on the subway for the first time.  I found that at the time to be plot-convenient (and yes, I remember that Riley and Maya immediately crushed on Lucas and they would want him there) but in retrospect, it seems to have been consistent with the dynamics of the friendship these four have developed.

Have to agree to disagree there's a deluge of evidence just by what T said herself during the series that it was a power play, also according to Feeny she was a complete control freak. it was more about plot holes than beliefs.

Even Corey spotted it when he said she was living in a fantasy world where her relationship plays out the way she wants and pretty much disregards his needs.

But your correct Disney being Disney they would never address that topic so I'm curious to see what happens this time around  :)

Is Ava middle name post to be a reference to Corey sister on BMW?

Is Farkle the new Topanga? He is kinda similar to Topanga character when the first show started. Weird to the main characters but over time they rewrote her, they are kinda doing this to Farkle. If you notice in the first ep he refer to himself as a second person, and waaaaay out there. Now he is more calmer and seems to be more friends with the group. So I wonder later on they are going to do the never ending romance like they did with Cory and Topanga? 

Is Ava middle name post to be a reference to Corey sister on BMW?

I am assuming her name is actually Ava Morganstern, I definitely could be wrong.

I wish they were not pushing any romance.  Let the characters and actors develop relationship naturally.  

I am assuming her name is actually Ava Morganstern, I definitely could be wrong.

I wish they were not pushing any romance.  Let the characters and actors develop relationship naturally.  

I think that's her name too. But, to be honest... I just call her Ava GoAwayYouDangBee. :P

Agreed, for the kids anyway. They need to be focused on learning (both about themselves and school in general). As for Cory and Topanga, keep it coming ;) :). They've done a pretty good job on that front so far.

Agreed, for the kids anyway. They need to be focused on learning (both about themselves and school in general). As for Cory and Topanga, keep it coming ;)

I agree.  I meant for the kids.  Cory and Topanga should be romantic regularly :) 

• Love 1

I really don't think Cory and Topanga should get any more romantic. I mean if they are doing it on a Disney show why can't all the other actors do it on that SAME Disney show.. -_- There are two choices for Disney... 1 stay the way you are or go back to the old Disney on how their purpose was to entertain young adult type audiences which can't practically happen unless Disney feels like getting sued by all the overprotective parents out there who only want age appropriate material for their kids... If it were my choice Disney should go back to the way it was, but that will not happen soon...or ever :(

Because they are MARRIED.  That is what makes it different.  Showing affection adults in a committed relationship is appropriated   I agree that not even showing teenagers kiss is a bit ridiculous.  That trend only started after High School Musical, which the director did as kind of a homage to old school 60's musicals.  Then all the shows started doing this.  However there are shows that do show kissing.  I don't think Disney needs to address premarital sex, this is not necessarily appropriate for their demographics.  They do however regularly address that topic on their other network ABCFamily, which demographic is skewed older 

• Love 3

Agreed.  I think there's a vast difference between showing kids in the 12ish age range being "romantic" and showing their adult, married parents being romantic.  Obviously the C&T romantic scenes should still be appropriate for a Disney Channel show, but there's nothing wrong with kids seeing parents being affectionate.  

I do agree that it's silly to never show teenagers kissing, because it's not realistic.  And I hate the cop out of showing the lead up to a kiss, but panning away from (or having something block the view of) the kiss itself.  Everyone knows that the couple in question is going to kiss, so what's the point? I think it would be a good compromise to limit the kissing to older teens (on shows where they have older teens, like Good Luck Charlie, where it was ridiculous that they didn't want to show Teddy kissing her boyfriend when she was old enough to drive, have a job, and have her own car), or just showing kids at this 12 year age kissing on the cheek.  And, of course, they have to take into consideration when there are notable age gaps between the actors portraying the characters, even if the characters are supposed to be the same age.    

Kissing just seems like such an odd thing for DC to draw a line in the sand over.  During one of the last seasons of Good Luck Charlie, we had Teddy get on a plane, without her parents' knowledge, to fly from Denver to the East coast to see her boyfriend, while on the plane, she struck up a conversation with, and accepted food from, a stranger (a guy old enough to be her father).  And that is a character who was always a "good girl."  So I can't comprehend how that was OK to show the kids, but Heaven forbid you see her kissing her boyfriend.  

• Love 1

Agreed.  I think there's a vast difference between showing kids in the 12ish age range being "romantic" and showing their adult, married parents being romantic.  Obviously the C&T romantic scenes should still be appropriate for a Disney Channel show, but there's nothing wrong with kids seeing parents being affectionate.  

I do agree that it's silly to never show teenagers kissing, because it's not realistic.  And I hate the cop out of showing the lead up to a kiss, but panning away from (or having something block the view of) the kiss itself.  Everyone knows that the couple in question is going to kiss, so what's the point? I think it would be a good compromise to limit the kissing to older teens (on shows where they have older teens, like Good Luck Charlie, where it was ridiculous that they didn't want to show Teddy kissing her boyfriend when she was old enough to drive, have a job, and have her own car), or just showing kids at this 12 year age kissing on the cheek.  And, of course, they have to take into consideration when there are notable age gaps between the actors portraying the characters, even if the characters are supposed to be the same age.    

Kissing just seems like such an odd thing for DC to draw a line in the sand over.  During one of the last seasons of Good Luck Charlie, we had Teddy get on a plane, without her parents' knowledge, to fly from Denver to the East coast to see her boyfriend, while on the plane, she struck up a conversation with, and accepted food from, a stranger (a guy old enough to be her father).  And that is a character who was always a "good girl."  So I can't comprehend how that was OK to show the kids, but Heaven forbid you see her kissing her boyfriend.  

Definitely. It's not as if they'll get cooties from seeing it :P. It shows two grownups who love and care about one another. What's so bad about that? There are so many 'dysfunctional' family shows on tv these days, that it's nice to see just a normal one. Or at least one that's close to it.

As for cop outs, I hate when ANY show does it (Disney or not). The audience aren't ALL children and can handle a kiss scene.

Agreed. I don't get it either.

• Love 2

Definitely. It's not as if they'll get cooties from seeing it :P. It shows two grownups who love and care about one another. What's so bad about that? There are so many 'dysfunctional' family shows on tv these days, that it's nice to see just a normal one. Or at least one that's close to it.

Agreed.  I believe it's good for kids to see examples of a healthy relationship as they grow up.  And with C&T especially, it's nice that they're just a normal couple who clearly love and like each other.  They're not shown in that bad sitcom cliche of the overbearing, shrill wife and the browbeaten doofus husband (outside of the chicken episode)..  I appreciate that so much.  

• Love 2

i like this episode, but it has a lot of flaws itself!! first of all peyten meyer just comes off as unbelievable in his so called close friendship with farkle. he says he's his best friend but i wasn't feeling it, kid sounds like he's reading index cards right in front of him instead of, idk, ACTING it out. take some classes kid, some better ones. also can ava get kidnapped or something, idc how extreme that is girl needs to go. she's in no way a great add to the show, i skip pass her a lot. and what was with the cheesy fight, old dude wouldn't whooped lucas up and down the gymnasium in real life. granted i didn't expect them to take it that far and they didn't need to frankly, BUT let's be real he could've shoved him and said "hey man you wanna do this or what?" ya know, ask him if he really wants to fight him. THEN have lucas back down. michael jacobs please get your life for that nonsense scene. i did enjoy farkle in this episode, wanted to hug him he was so cute and didn't need to be bullied. really jealousy though? that's the reason? i mean both boys and girls are capable of being jealous of someone, but it just wasn't a good reason. there are other kids in the school besides riley, maya, and lucas, he couldn't find other friends outside of them :\ and another thing, this is minor, maya wrote broken on her head and that idk just made me so mad lol i wanted to say girl there's NOTHING broken about you. yeah you have family issues that may get to you sometimes but you're anything but broken. shawn hunter exhibited someone who was broken. maya just reminds me of a toned down sam puckett from icarly. da freak? psh broken, get outta here. besides all that as a whole i enjoyed this episode and don't worry i wasn't nitpicking throughout the episode, my nitpicking comes after i watch it because at the end of the day it's a decent show even with it's flaws. i look forward to rowan every Friday, grew up with boy meets world but rowan is the ONLY reason i watch this show!!! :P

*old dude would have* \