Type keyword(s) to search

To Subscribe Or Not To Subscribe, That Is The Question: Paid Streaming Services

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Speaking of YouTube TV, does anyone have that? I have some questions lol.

I have YouTube TV but I still haven't cut the cord with cable. What are your questions?

1 hour ago, Zella said:

Yes it is irritating! What really baffled me with LHOTP is it would be seconds before the scene ends that the ad would cut in. How hard was it to wait 5-10 seconds?!

Yeah, noticed the editing wasn't exactly smooth when we binged Ad Men, but maybe I'm just not very discerning, lol.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Well now I'm wondering why you haven't cut the cord yet lol?

Partially lazy but a few reasons:

• YouTube doesn't have all the channels I get from cable.  Things like ION and Lifetime.  It's not a big deal most of the year but it'd cut down on my ability to watch (and hate) many of the holiday movies.
  • I also really like the music channels on cable.  I like to quickly switch to them during commercials or while working on the computer. I guess those could be replaced with other music streaming services but, like I said, it's usually a quick listen while I'm waiting for a show to get back from commercial.  Switching to a new device would be annoying for me.   (This is very much a me problem.)
  • There's very little consistency with channels.  It feels like they come and go more than they do with cable.
  • I can only rewind within a program.  So let's say I am watching a show and miss the final five minutes because someone called me and the channel I'm watching switches to the next show.  YouTube TV doesn't let me rewind back into the old show I was watching.  If I had paused it, I could finish it but if I didn't think to do so, I'm out of luck (unless it's available On Demand and then I have to content with commercials.  My DVR lets me rewind up to 90 minutes or so as long as I'm not coming from another channel. 
  • Recording times aren't always kept up-to-date.  For instance, I decided to record L&O: SVU because I was watching an episode but couldn't watch the end.  And when you decide to record something, you record ALL of the episodes basically.  You can't just record one episode unless you record the show and then remove the show from being recorded immediately after.  That led me to want to spend some lazy Saturdays watching L&O: SVU episodes I hadn't seen because I'm not a regular viewer of that show the way I am with the original L&O.  But USA has a weird late night SVU schedule.  My recordings record from 1 a.m. to  2 a.m., for instance, but the show actually runs 1:06-2:04 and the ending gets cut off. 
  • Speaking of the DVR, it's unlimited but things disappear after 9 months and they don't re-record until an episode is deleted so access isn't continuous. 
  • I still have things my DVR that I don't want to lose.  If my DVR were to ever go, that might lead me to cutting the cord. 
  • I haven't decided on an alternative internet provider. 
  • I'd have to decide how I'm going to supplement what I don't get.  Do I subscribe to Peacock (which I now get for free?)  Do I do another live TV streaming service to get the channels I don't get with YouTube TV?
  • YouTube TV can be glitchy with my Firestick.  I've had to unplug it and replug it in.  It's not as smooth as cable which works even when wifi is spotty or slow. I lose the internet more than I lose hard wired cable and my TV relies on the internet. 

Yeah.  So that's probably more than you wanted to know.  Some of this is very specific to me.  Some of it are things I'm sure others experience. The problem is that I should cut it because the conveniences probably aren't worth the ridiculous cost of cable.  It's mainly the internet portion that holds me up.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Partially lazy but a few reasons:

But, and I'm genuinely curious, if cable gives you the channels and the flexibility you want, why have YouTube TV?  I did a trial of it a while back and really, the only thing that seemed better was the price.  And even that's not really competitive any more.

42 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

But, and I'm genuinely curious, if cable gives you the channels and the flexibility you want, why have YouTube TV?

Ha.  This is where the laziness also comes in.  I went on a solo vacation last year.  The air B&B  where I stayed had a Roku TV but no cable.  I like background noise and watching TV when I cook or eat so I got YouTube TV.  And then one of my cable boxes went out and I haven't gone to the cable company to get it replaced (although I should.) 

I shamefully am exactly who streaming services target with their promotional deals--onboard her and hope she forgets or is to lazy to cancel.

Hide Reaction GIF by flor

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I shamefully am exactly who streaming services target with their promotional deals--onboard her and hope she forgets or is to lazy to cancel.

That is exactly why I can't do that whole "take the free offer when the streamer has something you want to watch then cancel before the trial is over". I am either too lazy or too forgetful to cancel. Probably both. 

My trouble is, there is about 2-3 shows on each service that I am interested in but none of them enough to finally make the commitment. So, lazy, forgetful and commitment phobic. lol

• Love 9

I totally always take the deals and the free trials. I have a note on my computer with like 10 different dates when I need to cancel things lol.

Thanks for the info, @Irlandesa. You actually have me leaning towards keeping cable, which is where I always land every month or so when I start my 'Should I cut cable and get a streaming thing?' cycle.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

My trouble is, there is about 2-3 shows on each service that I am interested in but none of them enough to finally make the commitment. So, lazy, forgetful and commitment phobic.

I keep confirmation emails for anything with an expiration date in a "Flagged" folder so they don't get lost in the 12,793 (that's the real number) emails currently residing on my computer.  I can easily see that my one year of free Paramount expires in November.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah, the free trials totally bank on this. 

But most of the time you can cancel way before the end of the trial and your trial will still go the whole time.

So often times I will cancel the day after I sign up for the trial.  And I get a little note saying "your trial will expire on XXXX date" (usually after several prompts asking 'do your really want to cancel?'  and 'no really, how about you stay for a bit longer?"

And sometimes if you are lucky you get an 'ok then, how about if you stay for three more months and we'll only charge you .50 more?'  LOL.

I figure when that does happen, the pre-emptive cancellation signals some bot that prompts them to extend the trial so I really will forget later.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Part of me not cancelling--usually--is that there were things I wanted to watch.  I watched and then I hope the second seasons or third seasons will come.

But  you guys have inspired me to cancel Disney+ and Discovery+.  I only ever watched Hamilton on Disney.  And I don't think I ever watched Discovery.

• Love 2

Peacock can be streamed on a computer, right?  Suddenly Comcast won’t let me stream anymore (which appears to be a common issue) and until they fix it I’d like to find an alternative. I had Peacock and cancelled but if I can stream the Today Show without having to go through Comcast it will be worth it to me to sign up again. 

• Love 1

Anyone here use hayu? I binged season 1 of Real Housewives of Salt Lake City on Peacock. Season 2 isn't on it, not on cable, not on Hulu. It's on Bravo, but it freezes and restarts constantly. It takes the enjoyment out of watching the show. It looks like I can watch it on hayu, but I never heard of it before. 

Edited: I'm American, looks like I might not even be able to access it. :(

Edited by RealHousewife
5 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Anyone here use hayu? I binged season 1 of Real Housewives of Salt Lake City on Peacock. Season 2 isn't on it, not on cable, not on Hulu. It's on Bravo, but it freezes and restarts constantly. It takes the enjoyment out of watching the show. It looks like I can watch it on hayu, but I never heard of it before. 

Edited: I'm American, looks like I might not even be able to access it. :(

My wife has subscribed to it a couple of times., basically every time the one housewives show she likes comes back. The only think I found annoying was when you want to cancel you have to click through like 4 different pages to confirm you want to cancel. I didn't realize that first and then was surprised the next month that our credit card was still being billed. 

• Useful 1
Just now, Kel Varnsen said:

My wife has subscribed to it a couple of times., basically every time the one housewives show she likes comes back. The only think I found annoying was when you want to cancel you have to click through like 4 different pages to confirm you want to cancel. I didn't realize that first and then was surprised the next month that our credit card was still being billed. 

Thanks so much. By any chance, are you in the US? 

Frndly TV Will Add Five New Channels to Its Live Streaming Lineup

The affordable live TV streaming service Frndly TV announced today a multi-year agreement with Weigel to bring five national TV networks to its lineup. The new channels include MeTV, Heroes & Icons (H&I), DECADES, Story Television, and Start TV. Frndly TV is the first live TV streaming service to carry all five of the networks.

Starting today, MeTV will be available on the Frndly TV lineup, along with Story Television, as Weigel nationally debuts the new network. On Tuesday, April 19, H&I and DECADES will join the Frndly TV lineup, while Start TV will premiere at a later date.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

Regarding Paramount+

On 3/19/2022 at 4:07 PM, Bastet said:

To set up my profile, I had to pick three shows from the ones displayed, so it could tailor recommendations to me.  There was no way to skip it, and what was really annoying was there were only maybe 15 shows to choose from, and they were all things I had no idea what they're about or things I wouldn't watch if you paid me.  But, again, no way to skip, so I had to randomly pick three shows I'll never watch so it can recommend to me more shows I'll never watch.

There is a way around completing that annoying "Pick at least 3 shows" screen: 

• If you're using the app, either on a device (smart TV, Roku, Fire Stick, etc.) or a smartphone/tablet, once you get to the "Pick..." screen, just close the app.  The next time the app is opened, the new profile will be the default.
  • Similarly, if you set up a profile through the P+ website, once you get to the "Pick..." screen, just go back to the address "paramountplus.com"
  • Useful 3
On 3/20/2022 at 2:58 PM, Irlandesa said:

That's kinda how Amazon Prime got me.  I still stream things on there somewhat, and occasionally the fast shipping has come in handy.  But it's still mostly laziness that I still have it.

On 3/20/2022 at 7:03 PM, meowmommy said:

12,793 (that's the real number) emails currently residing on my computer. 

Only 12,793?  Amateur.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/4/2022 at 1:26 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Is anyone else getting constant network errors on HBO Max? It was happening pretty frequently for me for awhile and then it was working ok for a few days and now today it’s like every minute. It’s really annoying.

I find my issues fluctuate.  At one time or another all of mine have been problematic.  I have a fair amount of problems with network apps that I access through my cable provider too!  I think that they need to put some more technology into a quality product.  If the tv is good quality, as is the WiFi and device, there shouldn’t be so much error crap, imo.  Totally, inexcusable.  

Last week, I tried to download A&E app to watch Secrets of Playboy series, which I highly recommend.  My Firestick would not allow it.  I tried several times to sign in to through my cable provider (I have cable at my other house.),  but it would not work. So, I switched to Roku, because it’s a Roku tv and that worked fine.  However, navigating on Roku is very frustrating and often I have to exit the app and come in another way.  

When I watch through streaming apps, I’ve usually really earned it. They should pay me!  Lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

However, navigating on Roku is very frustrating and often I have to exit the app and come in another way.  

Is this for Roku in general, or just for that app?  I have three Roku TVs and one stick, and only the stick (it's the cheapest, crappiest one they have that I bought to replace an old one) gives me any trouble navigating.  Curious what the issues are.

My pet named Peeve is how Roku repeatedly changes the pet wallpaper I've chosen to something representing whatever Disney or other product they've been paid to shill, without asking.

5 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I switched over from Roku to the Tivo stream last year but I'm regretting it. I think Roku is the best of the bunch. I've not personally used the fire stick but my dad is always having issues with it.

Yeah, it’s very temperamental.  I like having both, so I can alternate if one isn’t working well.  

I spent several hours last weekend trying to figure out why one of my TVs keep turning on and off by itself. So, after multiple experiments, I finally discovered the port is bad!  Solved, by switching ports, but annoyed. That tv is only about 4 years old.  I guess that’s old by today’s standards.  I saw a LOVELY 65 inch LG NANOcell tv in Best Buy!  Omg!  Love it!  I may forget about the appliances that I need and splurge on that baby!  😍

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Last week, I tried to download A&E app to watch Secrets of Playboy series, which I highly recommend.  My Firestick would not allow it.  I tried several times to sign in to through my cable provider (I have cable at my other house.),  but it would not work. So, I switched to Roku, because it’s a Roku tv and that worked fine.

I just downloaded the A&E app to my (quite old) Fire stick this week (so I could watch the episode of Nightwatch I'd missed), and had no issues.

The only thing I consistently have a problem with is the YouTube app on that same stick (not YouTube TV or whatever that paid streaming service is, just the app that lets you access YouTube).  It freezes a lot.

• Love 1

Reading these comments is so very interesting. I got my first Amazon Firestick to use with my Sony Bravia television about…six years ago, I think? No problems.

Then I got a Samsung television two years ago-still use the same stick. No issues. The only time when I thought it wasn’t working was because I needed to update the software or something.

My television isn’t a FireTV or a Roku. 🤷‍♀️ 

Just now, windsprints said:

If you're having issues with apps via the Firestick try restarting it. I don't have a firestick but restarting fixed the problems my sister was having (& called me for help). Hope it helps.

https://www.firesticktricks.com/restart-firestick.html

Yep. I stated up thread awhile ago this was something I did that fixed some issues.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I switched over from Roku to the Tivo stream last year but I'm regretting it. I think Roku is the best of the bunch. I've not personally used the fire stick but my dad is always having issues with it.

42 minutes ago, windsprints said:

If you're having issues with apps via the Firestick try restarting it. I don't have a firestick but restarting fixed the problems my sister was having (& called me for help). Hope it helps.

https://www.firesticktricks.com/restart-firestick.html

I had to get a Firestick to get HBO Max working.  It didn't work on my TV.  Now it's connected to my cable and that pretty much works the best.  (Dammit, cable has its plusses.)

The reason I don't mind Firestick so far is because I just unplug the power and plug it back in and that usually fixes any issues I'm having.

Not so easy with my other streaming options (TV, old Roku but now I think it's too old).

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The reason I don't mind Firestick so far is because I just unplug the power and plug it back in and that usually fixes any issues I'm having.

That works for me with Tivo Stream if I'm having problems in any other app but not for HBO Max. So odd!

At least with my Fire stick, I don't even need to get up and unplug it to restart it, I can just do that via the menu.  With my parents' smart TV, when the Netflix app decides to be an unresponsive asshole until the TV is reset, that means unplugging the TV for a minute.  Okay, but the TV plugs into an outlet that is directly behind where its giant self is mounted on the wall, so that means getting up on top of the entertainment center (which is a solid oak built-in, so at least there's no problem standing on it) to unplug it.  Thankfully that doesn't happen very often, but come on, Netflix (no other app has ever needed that solution).

• Love 2

If anyone knows of a way to permanently delete a tv series option from Hulu, please let me know.  I hear that the Kardassians realty show is coming soon and I really do not want their show to continuously pop up on my interface.  For me it’s revolting and I don’t deserve to be subjected to it.  🤣🙄😩 I watch a lot of Hulu now and would hate to let it go.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If anyone knows of a way to permanently delete a tv series option from Hulu, please let me know.  I hear that the Kardassians realty show is coming soon and I really do not want their show to continuously pop up on my interface.  For me it’s revolting and I don’t deserve to be subjected to it.  🤣🙄😩 I watch a lot of Hulu now and would hate to let it go.  

I was about to get Hulu but I have to see those assholes every time I tune in I won't bother. 😖

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, their mugs showed up one day when I logged on and I was of the same mind as you.  I did NOT want to be constantly bombarded with them.  So I clicked the 3 little dots on the title page and there is a thumbs up/thumbs down.  I clicked the thumbs down which is a 'DISLIKE' indicator.  A note comes up that tells me it will no longer suggest this title for me.  So far so good, it has been a couple of weeks and no sign of any Kardashian content has appeared on my suggestions, log in screen, flash screen or any of the featured tiles.

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Well, their mugs showed up one day when I logged on and I was of the same mind as you.  I did NOT want to be constantly bombarded with them.  So I clicked the 3 little dots on the title page and there is a thumbs up/thumbs down.  I clicked the thumbs down which is a 'DISLIKE' indicator.  A note comes up that tells me it will no longer suggest this title for me.  So far so good, it has been a couple of weeks and no sign of any Kardashian content has appeared on my suggestions, log in screen, flash screen or any of the featured tiles.

This is wonderful news! Hulu is back on!!!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can't you just go directly to "My Stuff" or "Favorites"?? This way you won't have to see anything you're not interested in.

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

Can't you just go directly to "My Stuff" or "Favorites"?? This way you won't have to see anything you're not interested in.

But when you open Hulu it's just the like homepage or whatever and that's where they advertise the shows they want to advertise, which is apparently anything Kardashian related.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

But when you open Hulu it's just the like homepage or whatever and that's where they advertise the shows they want to advertise, which is apparently anything Kardashian related.

Knock on wood but not on my Home Page.  I wonder if it matters what kind of shows you watch on Hulu. I don't touch reality shows there. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Knock on wood but not on my Home Page.  I wonder if it matters what kind of shows you watch on Hulu. I don't touch reality shows there. 

It's not on my homepage either but it obviously is on some others since they've mentioned being annoyed about it. Maybe it does have to do with the other shows you've watched. I'm trying to think if I've ever watched a reality show on there and I don't think I have.

• Love 1
On 10/17/2014 at 2:00 AM, Kromm said:

We've a thread here for free streaming services, so it made sense to have an overall topic for paid services as well.

I asked this question on the free streaming thread too, but no one has posted there since November 2020, so I'm asking here too:
Has anyone had the search function disappear from the YouTube app on their TV today?
(Mine's a Roku TV.)

ETA: I got a response on the other thread that YouTube is having issues.
And here's the official info link:
https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/159624032

Edited by shapeshifter
On 4/8/2022 at 6:00 PM, Mabinogia said:

I was about to get Hulu but I have to see those assholes every time I tune in I won't bother. 😖

I have Hulu but have yet to see Kardashians on my feed.  Maybe I'm just lucky?  Maybe it has to do with my using a Roku device to access Hulu?  Of course, I've probably just jinxed myself and they'll be in my recommendations when I turn it on tonight.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:53 AM, peachmangosteen said:

My homepage starts with my favorites.

• Love 1

The Kardashians new show was on my Hulu homepage, however, after I clicked on it and disliked it, it went away and it disappeared from my other 2 Firesticks too.  Same Hulu account.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I don’t watch reality shows on Hulu, but it was initially on my homepage, nonetheless.