Type keyword(s) to search

Jane the Virgin in the Media

Well Amy Schumer is pretty hilarious on her show and does a variety of different comedic things.

I think Gina, with her more dramatic moments, gives a more rounded overall performance but focusing on pure comedy, I could see why other actresses would come ahead. 

Blowing through recaps @EW, when I'm hit over the head with the new "10 articles a month" bs.

I'd so like to forward all the years of all my issues to them, and say, Doesn't that count for something?

Eh.  The Firewall is Teh Future.  Fuck it.

Does anyone know when and if the dvds will be available? My sister hasn't seen the show so it would make for a good Xmas present for her since I'm pretty sure she like the series.

(edited)

TCA (Television Critics Association) Awards noms. Usually they're my favorite of the year, and this year is no exception:

Outstanding Achievement in Comedy
"The Big Bang Theory" (CBS)
"Inside Amy Schumer" (Comedy Central)
"Jane the Virgin" (The CW)
"Transparent" (Amazon)
"Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" (Netflix)

Outstanding New Program
"Better Call Saul" (AMC)
"Empire" (Fox)
"The Flash" (The CW)
"Jane the Virgin" (The CW)
"Transparent" (Amazon)

Individual Achievement in Comedy
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep" (HBO)
Gina Rodriguez, "Jane the Virgin" (The CW)
Amy Schumer, "Inside Amy Schumer" (Comedy Central)
Jeffrey Tambor, "Transparent" (Amazon)
Constance Wu, "Fresh Off the Boat" (ABC)

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 2

Does anyone know when and if the dvds will be available? My sister hasn't seen the show so it would make for a good Xmas present for her since I'm pretty sure she like the series.

I just checked and they're not being released until the end of September. Kinda bummed because I was in the mood to start over from the beginning and binge watch, and I can't find more than 5 episodes available to steam. :(

Not sure where to post this...

Trying to find when Jane is re-running on TV this week -- and it's not!  I thought CW was rebroadcasting the whole series.  Is this just because it's a sort-of holiday week?

Help!

I'm not surprised. Gina was the only aspect of the show I thought had a chance, and even that was never great. The CW is just not considered a serious network (the Emmy hierarchy favours prestige cable and now Internet-based shows, followed by the big broadcast networks).

Completely snubbed by the Emmys. I can't believe the show was this badly overlooked.

Actually got 1 nom - Sexy Latin Narrator for Chapter 14, against Hubble's Cosmic Journey, Operation Orangutan, The Roosevelts, and Too Cute!

But yeah, I kinda thought this would happen. Constance Wu also snubbed. #WhiteEmmys.

• Love 1

I disagree that the show was that much of a dark horse. It's already won awards and had great press all year. I knew Gina may be up against a lot in the race, but I thought Jaime should have gotten some love.

Well it was Golden Globes which love anything shiny and new, so I didn't think that was a great sign for Emmys, though it was great for Gina to win a big prize.

I mean, the Drama Series/Actress winner The Affair got 0 Emmy noms. And the year before that, Globe Comedy Series/Actor winner Brooklyn Nine Nine was mostly ignored as was Supporting Actress winner Jacqueline Bisset.

The CW happens to be taken much less seriously than Showtime and Fox too.

I disagree that the show was that much of a dark horse. It's already won awards and had great press all year.

So did, among other things, Felicity, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Gilmore Girls, and Veronica Mars.

I disagree that the show was that much of a dark horse. It's already won awards and had great press all year. I knew Gina may be up against a lot in the race, but I thought Jaime should have gotten some love.

Jaime had more against him than Gina did.  Gina had quite a few wins and was on the campaign circuit (magazine covers, appearances) and her recognition is starting to go beyond those that watch the show.  Jaime's performance is beloved...by those who watch the show.  I know he is known by those who may have seen him in a Mexican telenovela but the odds are against them being Emmy voters. 

I wonder if it might be a lesbian wedding to help celebrate national marriage equality. 

I was going through past awards, and since the Sag Awards started, the only comedy actress nommed for 2 of Sag/TCA/Globes to not get an Emmy nom is Gina.

Of course, on the drama side there are 5 actresses with the same issue and most of them are WB actresses, so there's obviously precedent.

Okay, don't read this unless you want to be spoiled (and you will be, trust me--this is Michael Ausiello from TV Guide's regular spoiler feature, so be warned), but it's not a lesbian wedding. Again, warning--spoilers on Jane and several other shows abound if you click that link.

(It's toward the bottom of the column for anyone who does want to go there.) 

Edited by kirinan

Okay, don't read this unless you want to be spoiled (and you will be, trust me--this is Michael Ausiello from TV Guide's regular spoiler feature, so be warned), but it's not a lesbian wedding. Again, warning--spoilers on Jane and several other shows abound if you click that link.

(It's toward the bottom of the column for anyone who does want to go there.) 

No, that quote says nothing about who's in the 2nd wedding. We already knew last month about the main wedding.

No, that quote says nothing about who's in the 2nd wedding. We already knew last month about the main wedding.

I didn't realize there were two weddings, jjjmoss. It's been a while since I've been to these forums. Thanks for letting me know that.

Edited by kirinan

Hmm, the 18-49 ratings were a .449, which doesn't look quite so bad compared to Crazy Ex Girlfriend's .274 (a 64% jump).

Aren't they still worse than last season's? I think more people would watch those two shows if the titles weren't so terrible. Or if they promoted them better instead of showing cheesy clips.

I just think if the show keeps up the critical acclaim and award recognition we'll at the very least get a season 3.

The CW isn't exactly doing great outside of superhero shows(and honestly, even those are faltering quality wise and will continue to do so as they spin-off more and more). They'll want at least one show which gives them some credibility. They were probably hoping that with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend but critics haven' exactly latched on that like they have Jane.

They were probably hoping that with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend but critics haven' exactly latched on that like they have Jane.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was actually very well-reviewed. (96% at RT to Jane's 100%--not perfect but nothing to sneeze at.) 

What Crazy doesn't have that  Jane does is the cache of being "first" and showcasing an underrepresented (on broadcast TV) demographic.  And a Golden Globe win.  So if the CW is going to give one of these shows another shot, it likely will be Jane. 

Gina is so much fun in interviews. She punched James Corden in the face on the Late, Late Show! A for real hit, it looked like. She said she liked to box and he asked her to show him some moves....

I didn't know where to put this other thing, but NBC is airing a new series called "Telenovela" (starring Eva Longoria)-- first two episodes air back to back on Monday 12/7 from 10 to 11pm-- right after "Jane The Virgin"'s usual time (though on a different network, and JtV is on haitus). Will they be seen as competition for each other, or synergistic? If the show is any good (and I have seen no reviews so I'm not going to guess), it could turn into two shows with a Latina lead on the same night, which I think has probably never happened before. I'm not sure there's ever been more than one on the air per season, nevermind per night.

2016 Golden Globe nomination:

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – MUSICAL OR COMEDY - Gina Rodriguez

2016 Critics' Choice Award nominations:

COMEDY SERIES - Jane the Virgin

ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES - Gina Rodriguez

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES - Jaime Camil

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

2016 Golden Globe nomination:

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – MUSICAL OR COMEDY - Gina Rodriguez

2016 Critics' Choice Award nominations:

COMEDY SERIES - Jane the Virgin

ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES - Gina Rodriguez

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES - Jaime Camil

Dear Golden Globe Voters:

It's a wonderful day to vote for Rogelio, Rogelio, ROGELIOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Love 2

Anyone see Gina Rodriguez give a speech for Rita Moreno at the Kennedy Center Honors show?

Two observations:

1.) Damn this girl gives good speeches. She's killed it before at award shows, but if anything this one was even a step beyond.

2.) Speaking of "damn"... man she had great cleavage in the dress she wore.  Exactly in that perfect middle ground where it's not ridiculous or lewd looking, but featured beautifully.

Gina is always amazing.

Here's a video of the speech: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gina-rodriguez-speech-rita-moreno_5683d99ee4b014efe0d99ec9

I think that keyhole over the boobs style of dress must be becoming popular. Amy Schumer wore something similar to deliver her SNL monologue recently. Everyone loves breasts, so I guess whoever thought of the idea had a pretty sure thing.

Edited by possibilities