Type keyword(s) to search

Jane the Virgin in the Media

Yeah they mention the critic love in the press release and I think it definitely helped. Its one thing to have "better than you might think from the title and premise" and another to have so many top critics label it the best pilot of the season. IT was adjusted down due to being pre empted in a couple of major markets though, which is a shame.

http://time.com/3502742/jane-the-virgin-gina-rodriguez/

Jane the Virgin features an international cast
“The integration of having stars from other countries here is really cool,” Rodriguez says. Jane’s father, for example, is played by Mexican actor Jaime Camil. Colombian crooner Juanes and Mexican pop star Paulina Rubio are both set to guest star. And Rodriguez is hoping the show can also snag Daniela Alvarado, the lead actress from Juana la Virgen, the Venezuelan telenovela upon which Jane the Virgin is loosely based. “We got in touch with each other very early on,” Rodriguez says. “I love her. She’s fantastic. She promotes our show and loves us, and we’re obviously praying that we have some awesome crossover where she’ll join our show for a few episodes.”

I hope they do it, that would be fun. And make it campy!

• Love 2

Boo. Down to 0.4 and 1.09 million viewers. It's lost like a third of its audience from just 2 weeks ago.

Well. If it's just 1 season at least it won't have time to go on a steep decline in quality in future seasons like, say, Revenge or Gossip Girl.

I’ve heard from a lot of people who were preemptively against the show because the premise sounded stupid. I think there are a number of fans who were probably in the same boat (*raises hand*) before they gave the show a chance for whatever reason and were won over by the cracky telenovela goodness. 

• Love 3

But that doesn't address why the show has lost so many viewers...it would imply the opposite, really.

The pilot had solid enough ratings and if the show had maintained that, a renewal would have been obvious. So I don't think no one wanting to try it at all is the problem.

Edited by jjjmoss
But that doesn't address why the show has lost so many viewers...

Well, the loss in viewers is normal for a television show. It’s basically “regression to the mean.” IIRC The Flash lost around 900k viewers. A lot of people check out pilots and then don’t watch the rest of the season. The problem for Jane the Virgin is that it might have problems picking up new viewers to offset some of the drop because a lot of people find the premise off-putting. Plus, I wouldn’t be surprised if some people thought of it as a ~Latino show and were scared away by that; I’ve seen people complaining about the subtitles, too.

Well, the loss in viewers is normal for a television show. It’s basically “regression to the mean.” IIRC The Flash lost around 900k viewers. A lot of people check out pilots and then don’t watch the rest of the season. The problem for Jane the Virgin is that it might have problems picking up new viewers to offset some of the drop because a lot of people find the premise off-putting. Plus, I wouldn’t be surprised if some people thought of it as a ~Latino show and were scared away by that; I’ve seen people complaining about the subtitles, too.

I've thought this too. I'm latino so I am obviously not bothered by the fact that pretty much every character is latino, that they speak so much Spanish, etc. But it wouldn't surprise me if American audiences could get tired and/or not relate.

Are they promoting it amongst latinos in the US? I noticed that the show even has a Spanish track, but I don't even know if it's being marketed right.

The real problem is that Jane is on the CW on Monday night. That's a death slot. If the network is committed to the show they'll either have to move it or accept the low ratings in exchange for critical buzz.

I honestly wish that it was on ABC. It would have a better chance of reaching an audience than on the CW which is known for superheroes, vampires, and teen scifi shows. A lot of people who might just love it aren't even bothering to check it out because of the network its on.

• Love 1
That's a death slot. If the network is committed to the show they'll either have to move it or accept the low ratings in exchange for critical buzz.

I can see them just accepting it. That's what they did for Nikita, which aired in the Friday night death slot and limped by with 0.3 because the network loved it and it was a departure from a lot of the teen dramas. 

The CW thing is a bit of a double-edged sword. There's really no guarantee that Jane the Virgin would have received more of an audience on ABC - it probably would have done better than on the CW, but enough to justify a time slot on a major network? - and at least the CW usually commits to airing the entire season of a show even if it's canceled afterwards. The bigger networks are typically quicker to pull the trigger. So it's good to know that we'll get at least one full season of watching Jane the Virgin instead of possibly seeing it yanked unceremoniously off screen after 10 episodes. 

I've thought this too. I'm latino so I am obviously not bothered by the fact that pretty much every character is latino, that they speak so much Spanish, etc.

I love it. I’m not Latino, but I’m the child of immigrants, and I could totally relate to things like the grandmother speaking Spanish and Jane responding in English. 
  • Love 4

I am also the child of immigrants. When I was growing up, I knew our language but usually spoke English in response to my parents. Now I really struggle to get my kids to speak in our language. I have to remind them all the time! Since my daughter started school, her English has taken off and it's all she wants to speak. So when I hear Abuela speaking in Spanish and Jane and her mom respond in English, I can relate.

Anyway, Salon joins our love for the Narrator (with a bonus mention of Previously.tv in it)!

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/29/why_we_need_narrators_jane_the_virgin_has_the_best_voice_over_on_tv/

Edited by Minneapple

I think this could qualify as "in the media...?" Gina Rodriguez was on Jimmy Kimmel last night, and if you didn't see it or get a chance to DVR it, I believe it's available now on ABC.com.

Edited by kirinan

I disagree that it's a death slot. Friday is a death slot because ratings are lower for Fridays. Thursday at 8 is considered a deathslot because shows have to go against the megasmash Big Bang Theory.

Mondays at 9 has one network show maintaining 3 million 18-49-year-olds, and The Voice is clearly past its prime even while ruling Monday. The show already had a sub-3 episode this season and it's not even in the lower-rated live rounds yet.

Initial ratings are in. Jane the Virgin was up two-tenths at 0.6, which is good. However, that big increase is probably due to NFL inflation. At least that makes it likely that JtV has stayed steady with last week instead of dropping even more. Hopefully, JtV only drops 1/10 to 0.5, which would still mark an increase from last week. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 1

Monday's ratings were not good so I bet of JtV, hold nothing back.  Burn through your glorious first year and end on a good note.

Someone named Danielle Turchiano did interviews with the whole cast of JtV.  Here's a not-really-spoilery article about the interviews.  The article embeds one part of three actor interviews it did but if you go to the YouTube page, you will find two segments with Gina (awesome), Jaime, Justin and Andrea.  There's one section with Ivonne, Brett and Yael.  Be warned, however, that the video interviews are somewhat spoilery.  The don't give specific details but you do get a sense of direction the show has for episodes 7-13, which they were filming when these interviews took place. 

I found it interesting that Jamie doesn't consider his television work in Mexico as a "telenovela."  While they were comedic, they were definitely telenovelas. 

It's also interesting that he's definitely on Team Michael after the end of the thirteenth episode.  I wonder what happens.  Based on what Gina was saying, it sounds like she and Rafael do get together for a while.  I am guessing Magda is going to hurt Abuela.  Why? I don't know but I look forward to that confrontation.

Jamie is super enthusiastic in his.  Gina offers some great insight, as does Ivonne.  In fact, I was wholly impressed with what Ivonne was saying about the family dynamics.

• Love 1

Well, it'd already been at 1.01 million viewers, so it doesn't look like that would be a very big factor for this show in particular.

The Originals didn't hit a low, increasing the odds that CW wasn't really affected.

Edited by jjjmoss

The Originals didn't hit a low, increasing the odds that CW wasn't really affected.

The news didn't break till during Jane. My network broke in and didn't show the entire middle of the episode, causing me to switch over to Sleepy Hollow, which only broke away for 5 minutes. So it might not have had an enormous impact on the numbers, but I would think it definitely affected it. And that all the networks are aware that numbers for Tuesday night are bound to be a little off. 

Here's an article that speculates about the identity of Sin Rostro.  It doesn't say who it is but it does say when we find out so if you want to avoid even that, I'd skip the article.  But I now wonder if my speculation was wrong---

I thought it'd be Magda but now I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be Rafael.  The reason I think that is because of something Jaime Camil said in his YouTube interview I posted above on 11/19.  The interviewer asked Jaime whether he (or Rogelio) was on Team Michael or Team Rafael.  He replied that after he read the last scene of Ep 13 he was definitely on Team Michael.  It makes me think that is the ending that shocked the cast.

• Love 1

Here's an article that speculates about the identity of Sin Rostro.  It doesn't say who it is but it does say when we find out so if you want to avoid even that, I'd skip the article.  But I now wonder if my speculation was wrong---

I thought it'd be Magda but now I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be Rafael.  The reason I think that is because of something Jaime Camil said in his YouTube interview I posted above on 11/19.  The interviewer asked Jaime whether he (or Rogelio) was on Team Michael or Team Rafael.  He replied that after he read the last scene of Ep 13 he was definitely on Team Michael.  It makes me think that is the ending that shocked the cast.

Thank you for posting that! My speculation is just that - speculation LOL But it's fun to talk about it! I typed it in below, in spoiler brackets. Hopefully it's in the right thread.

For the same reason as you - Jaime saying he was totally Team Micheal after he read the script for ep 13 - I am actually thinking Michael is Sin Rostro. His shady brother who keeps saying he'll reveal how bad of a boy he is to Jane has me wondering... And I can totally see Rogelio/Jaime rooting for the sweet guy no one saw coming!

• Love 1

Hitfix just posted its 2014 Critics Poll. JTV was ranked #14 overall, #4 in Best New Shows, and #14 in Best Performances for Gina Rodriguez. Click here to see individual critics' votes. I'm so pleased to see widespread support among media sites and writers!

ETA: And the American Film Institute just included it in their list of the top shows of 2014. Very prestigious honor.

Edited by wisteria
  • Love 2

Yes, AFI's only other broadcast show in the T10 this year is How to Get Away with Murder which has the zeitgeist big ratings going for it. In the previous 5 years, the other hourlong broadcast shows that got into the T10 were Glee and Scandal, which also had that factor, along with The Good Wife which got there via acclaim.

Who woulda thought that a CW show would be the 3rd-most acclaimed broadcast show, missing a tie for 2nd by just 1 point (according to that Hitfix list)?

Edited by jjjmoss

There were 2 comedies nommed, as Mom was in supporting actress. BUT HFPA declared it the best comedy on broadcast TV. Which is actually surprising since last year Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS ALL had a Best Comedy nominee. No one can withstand the force of Queen Gina!

This is the only time ever that there's only 1 broadcast Best Comedy nominee, and it's a CW show. Who ever would have thought?

In the past, one UPN show got in - Everybody Hates Chris. And one WB in Best Drama - Felicity, somehow.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1

I've done my share of word-of-mouth marketing on this. Not sure what's happening. Could be the name/premise that's causing a problem, I go out of my way to try to give people a better sell on it (it's like Ugly Betty meets Pushing Daises!). It seems like once people watch it they like it, it's getting them past the name. But this awards stuff has got to increase buzz, I would think. It will also make a killer binge show when it hits Netflix, and that matters more than it used to.

Woo the fuck hoo! Just saw the Golden Globes news and ran over to celebrate. Was hoping for a comedy series nod but I never thought Gina would get one too. Congrats and good luck to our little show!

ETA -- so cute! The actors celebrate on the set:

Also,you have a heart of stone if Gina Rodriguez doesn't make you cry:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/gina-rodriguez-golden-globe-nomination-why-not-me

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 4

It seems like once people watch it they like it, it's getting them past the name. But this awards stuff has got to increase buzz, I would think. It will also make a killer binge show when it hits Netflix, and that matters more than it used to.

Except for the sizable chunk of viewers who stopped watching the show resulting in lower ratings.

Hopefully the media exposure can help reverse that somewhat.

A Gina nom was obviously more likely than a series nom.

Except for the sizable chunk of viewers who stopped watching the show resulting in lower ratings.

Hopefully the media exposure can help reverse that somewhat.

A Gina nom was obviously more likely than a series nom.

Yeah, it seems like a Gina nom was considered a long shot but plausible after the many "breakout performer of the year" tags she got, although looking at her competition and the other people who could have filled that slot it was only faint hope, but the show was definitely a complete wild card. It must have been a roller-coaster of a week for the crew, prestigious AFI top 10, bad ratings, then a GG nom and into the (CW) history books and as the only network show in competition.

Side note after seeing Mockingjay: Yael Grobglas (Petra) is playing a somewhat thankless role with some layers and was previously on Reign trying to do the same. But before that she was in the CW's 2nd attempt at a series on "The Selection" as the lead "America Singer" (who guess what? is a singer and a hater of oppressive tyranny etc)  which still failed to get a green light but was supposedly better than the previous completely "Disney" attempt. It was supposed to be more Katniss- but I really can't see her in a physical role, is any of her Israeli work more physical? Then again the books seem more light weight than Disney's Sleeping Beauty.

Edited by Featherhat

I just hope the break in new episodes until January 19th doesn't hurt ratings even further. A serialized show such as this needs to be shown week to week with few breaks.

Perfect example of a break killing a show was Ringer a few seasons ago.

• Love 2

Yep. At least the Globes nominations are there to keep buzz going though. And the break isn't too egregious (what I remember about Ringer was like a two-month break). Hopefully new people will check out the show in the meantime.

I don't think Jane's break is unusual by TV standards, so hopefully it will work okay.  If Gina and/or the show actually win, she'd get to make a speech on TV for a decent audience, so that would be great too (I think Gina can definitely win).

Also,you have a heart of stone if Gina Rodriguez doesn't make you cry:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/gina-rodriguez-golden-globe-nomination-why-not-me

It sounds like that speech the article mentions at the Television Critics Association event is what got this ball rolling on the nomination.  In a way it's a shame to have to say stuff like that matters more than the actual performance, but one could defend it by saying that if it takes something external to acting to get them noticed by the "right" people, at the very least the acting probably has to back it up so the nomination doesn't look ridiculous.

EDIT - Here's what she said (back in June) that got her so much support (she was asked why she picked appearing on Jane the Virgin over another role she'd been considered for on Lifetime’s Devious Maids)

I wouldn’t say that I chose Jane over Devious Maids. When I was presented with Devious Maids after Sundance, after I did a film at Sundance and I had an ABC holding deal, I found it limiting that that was the one that was available to me. I found it limiting for the stories that Latinos have. For the stories that Americans have, I feel like there’s a perception that people have about Latinos in America specifically — somebody growing up in Chicago, English being my first language, Spanish being my second — that we are perceived a very certain way.

Our stories have been told, and they’re not unmoralistic, you know, being a maid is fantastic. You know, I have many family members that have fed many of their families on doing that job, but there are other stories that need to be told. And I think that the media is a venue and an avenue to educate and teach our next generation. And, sadly, right now the perception they have of Latinos in America are very specific to maid, landscape, pregnant teen. Mind you, I am playing pregnant but not a teen.

I didn’t become an artist to be a millionaire. I didn’t become an actor to wear Louis Vuitton. I have to give this dress back when we’re done. I became an actor to change the way I grew up. The way I grew up, I never saw myself on screen. I have two older sisters. One’s an investment banker. The other one is an doctor, and I never saw us being played as investment bankers. And I realized how limiting that was for me. I would look at the screen and think, ‘Well, there’s no way I can do it, because I’m not there.’ And it’s like as soon as you follow your dreams, you give other people the allowance to follow theirs.

And for me, to look on younger girls and to say, ‘Well, Gina’s like me, maybe not necessarily the same skin color, maybe not necessarily the same background, but like that’s me. I’m not alone. I can do it too.’ So every role that I’ve chosen has been ones that I think are going to push forward the idea of my culture, of women, of beauty, my idea of liberating young girls, of feeling that they have to look at a specific beauty type. And I wasn’t going to let my introduction to the world be one of a story that I think has been told many times.

I wanted it to be a story that was going to liberate young girls and say, ‘Wow, there we are too, and we’re the doctors, and we’re the teachers, and we’re the writers, and we’re the lawyers, and I can do that too. And I don’t have to be a perfect size zero. I can be a perfect size me.’ And that’s what I live. So Jane, I waited for her patiently. And now she’s here. And thank you for being here with us. Because this is a dream come true to me.

Edited by Kromm