Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Ka No'eau (The Painter)

• Start Topic

Original Airdate: October 17, 2014

When a Detroit hit man is taken out by one of his colleagues on the streets of Oahu, Five-0 is shocked to learn the killer's surprising motives. Meanwhile, Chin puts his career on the line to help Danny get the money he needs to save his brother's life.

DANIEL!!

They could have at least checked to see who/what was in the barrel. It could have been empty and the Colombian guy could've been working with Danny's brother. They could've figured that Danny wouldn't look in the barrel and he would assume his brother was dead. Then the authorities would stop looking for him.

• Love 1

I thought the main story was touching.  (I never imagined a reformed hit man could bring a tear to my eye!)

But why would Danny and Steve ever be foolish enough to pay ransom?  That storyline made no sense to me.  And is it over now that Danny shot the bad guy?  Or is there someone higher up?

• Love 1

Danny showing so many emotions and the surprise when Chin does come up with the money and you know it's going to hurt him down the line.  I did like that Danny warned him and even thought Steve would stop him, but is it really over?

It was a nice twist to have the hit-man trying to save lives instead of taking them. 

Still really liking this season and I hope they can keep it up.

• Love 1

I adore Danny, he's every bit as macho as Steve even if that's not how they play it.  Even when he's gonna kill you he makes you look at him? Wow.  That had to have been so hard and emotional and weird.

Good intro shot to Brazil.

Maybe Chin can give back the 5 million and not have this bit him in the ass? 

The case of the week was amazingly cool~!

Just saw where they've moved Blue Bloods to front page and you don't have to click show all...couldn't we do that with this show, Moderator?  Thanks!

Edited by Jlina
  • Love 2

I assume that Danny and Steve are going to take the $18 million with them when they leave that place. And Chin can give the 5 1/2 million back. Not sure what they're going to do with the rest though.

I guess Dane Cook didn't want to go back to Hawaii. ;)

That was a pretty brutal reveal but not shocking when you realize the people they were dealing with.

The A-story was interesting with the hitman and the community he had built.  Made up for killing Lee Tergesen so early.

I continue to like the Jerry/Kamekona team-up.

I think this season is off to a good start so far.  Even the storylines, not exactly H50's strong suit, are going well.

Well. That went dark.

I was nearly convinced the twist was going to be that Matt was really alive, totally evil, scamming his brother his whole life, and running the cartel. That would have all sorts of increased Danny angst and would nicely parallel the Chin and Malia's brother storyline.

On another note, this afternoon I was watching the TNT repeat On Demand of the 9/11 episode where we learn Danny's backstory and Grace's namesake. I was very much amused to see that during the foot pursuit of the suicide bomber terrorist Danny heroically leaps over a...motorcycle...while a little later, Steve heroically leaps over...a full-sized car. It's those little tongue-in-cheek details that this show constantly offers up that make me love it so.

• Love 1

Good intro shot to Brazil? Steve & Danny went to Colombia to save Matt, not Brazil. Or was Brazil really somewhere in the ep & I lost track?

I adore Danny, he's every bit as macho as Steve even if that's not how they play it. Even when he's gonna kill you he makes you look at him? Wow. That had to have been so hard and emotional and weird.

Good intro shot to Brazil.

Maybe Chin can give back the 5 million and not have this bit him in the ass?

The case of the week was amazingly cool~!

Just saw where they've moved Blue Bloods to front page and you don't have to click show all...couldn't we do that with this show, Moderator? Thanks!

Okay, never cross Danny Williams. Ever. I think even Steve might lay off a bit after that.

Can I just say that seeing Timothy V. Murphy playing a character with a soul is unnerving. I know him as Sidarov from NCIS:LA and Ian Doyle from Criminal Minds. In both he played a sadistic crime boss and a multiple episode big bad. I know he was no angel here but it was still weird.

I love how Chin and Steve immediately and without hesitation put themselves in jeopardy to help Danny get Matt back.

I can't tell if it was knowing Matty was dead or the implicit threat to Grace that put Danny over the edge. But that 'look at me' was chilling.

• Love 2

Add me to the chorus saying that 5.5 million should go back to the Leonardo DiCaprio wannabe while the other 13 million goes in the 5-0 fun fund. I can understand if they have to beat feet quickly because there could be more lackeys on the way but still... I want something to work out in their favor eventually, instead of just taking the same plot (5-0 owes a gangster a shitload of money!) and just transferring it from Danny to Chin.

I liked that for once 5-0 got to the bad guys' destination before they did and cleared everyone out. However, I don't believe any normal police force would take on six heavily armed gangsters with only five team members and a civilian.I guess it was somewhat covered in establishing that this abandoned summer camp was as far from anything as one can be and still be in Hawaii but they still should have had a line about the area being too remote to call in backup.

A clever side character! That EMT with his pocket dial to 911 was awesome. Usually these characters play along and get shot for their trouble, as we saw with the helpful airport lackey the gangsters shot.

I assume there are medical ethics that prevent the EMTs from causing the guy to bleed out faster. Not much of a hostage situation if you can just nick the guy's artery and have him bleed out faster than he can pull the trigger.

Why did it not occur to Jerry that all the soccer/football talk might have been code? And why is Jerry sitting five feet away from the shop? He's a distinct looking dude and even if they weren't keeping an eye out for him they would have noticed by now because he's right outside the door all day long!

I asked for the big corruption and 5-0 did it, although not in the way I was hoping. I thought Chin Ho actually had the 25 million or whatever and would just dip into it to help Danny. So 5-0 takes this huge pile of money, flies off to another country, kills a bunch of people and presumably flies home. Vic Mackey would be proud.

• Love 2

Yeah, I was thinking that establishing shot was of Brazil too.

This show is far from perfect but when they are on their game (the Pearl Harbor episode from last season really comes to mind) they can produce some impressive television.

• Love 1

How did Danny and Steve kill all the guys in the Columbian crew? Are we to assume that, unarmed, they took them out, grabbed their weapons, shot them all, and then marched downstairs to finish the job?

Yes.

I did not think Danny would really kill the guy - that puts him in a very dark place.  Maybe Steve will let Danny drive his own car now.  I thought they would have looked in the barrel too but I guess they just knew Matt was dead and that was not an empty barrel.  And probably not freshly dead either.  That was one really bad dude.  But poor Danny - being pushed to that darkness is going to affect him sooner or later.

It was a very good episode.  The A story was good too, but I don't think a heart transplant really makes your heart grow three sizes.  I loved the actor who played the reformed hit man.

I do hope they keep the money - after repaying Chin's debt of course - since they will probably have to go on some unauthorized, thus unfunded, sortie into North Korea or somewhere soon enough.

Re Brazil/Colombia, I thought it said Colombia on the bottom of the screen; I could be wrong.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Chin can definitely repay his debt but he's not going to be able to stick his brother-in-law back in the general population.  IA is already looking for a reason to take him down and the brother-in-law would be more than happy to give them the ammo they need if Chin renegs on what he agreed to.

• Love 1

Yes.

I did not think Danny would really kill the guy - that puts him in a very dark place.  Maybe Steve will let Danny drive his own car now.  I thought they would have looked in the barrel too but I guess they just knew Matt was dead and that was not an empty barrel.  And probably not freshly dead either.  That was one really bad dude.  But poor Danny - being pushed to that darkness is going to affect him sooner or later.

It was a very good episode.  The A story was good too, but I don't think a heart transplant really makes your heart grow three sizes.  I loved the actor who played the reformed hit man.

I do hope they keep the money - after repaying Chin's debt of course - since they will probably have to go on some unauthorized, thus unfunded, sortie into North Korea or somewhere soon enough.

Re Brazil/Colombia, I thought it said Colombia on the bottom of the screen; I could be wrong.

This show certainly makes you suspend disbelief! Cuz I guess it's also no big deal to travel to another country with four large duffel bags filled with $15 million in cash, too. Anyway, thanks for the answer.

And yes, the screen said Columbia, not Brazil.

• Love 1
I was nearly convinced the twist was going to be that Matt was really alive, totally evil, scamming his brother his whole life, and running the cartel.

Maybe not running the cartel, but in charge of finance, laundering money, moving it around shell companies, etc. So Matt needs the money back, but can't get it himself, so he shakes down Danny et al. It's not a bad criminal plan. 

This was kind of stupid though. You don't look in the barrell? Or, even if there's a body, there's no guarantee it's Matt. Why not take the boss hostage when he came to Hawaii? What about proof of life? On the episode with the little girl who was taken hostage, they asked for proof of life. This just seemed like someone thought it would be cool for Danny to flat out murder someone and they backtracked from there. 

I laughed again because yet another car drives away in a hail of gunfire. 

It said Columbia, but it looked like the slums of Rio de Janeiro.

I liked the defence of the summer camp, and the fact that Steve was the only one who didn't get his guy with one blow!

I find it inconceivable that two unarmed American law enforcement personnel would willingly enter the lair of a Colombian drug lord toting 18 and a half million dollars and several duffel bags.  What was to stop the guy from just killing them as soon as they showed up and taking the money?  Really ridiculous.  They should have demanded a meeting on a neutral site and had snipers (Kono?) set up to protect them.  They should have asked that Matt be brought to the meeting.

As it is, I expect now that there will be repercussions.  Surely whoever is left of Reyes' operation is going to take some action.  They clearly know about Grace.  Good job idiot Danny for putting her in danger for the rest of her life.

• Love 5

Unless Reyes was trying to pull off an off-book shakedown of Danny. Does the organization have anyone higher up? They might not even know about the whole thing. Not for nothing, on top of how ridiculous this was, they just take some barrel wheeled out on faith.

If they wanted to kill off the brother, they should have just had Reyes kill him off because he wouldn't give up the money stash, and then just threaten Danny with Grace to pay up. 

Edited by ganesh

I think that Danny is going to start feeling bad about shooting that guy, but, in my opinion, Steve should just tell him that as long as that guy was alive, Grace was in danger, and Danny should be like, "welp, OK then." Not that it's great to shoot someone point blank but if you're going to do it, that guy was a good choice. He was super bad and he would be a constant threat to Grace. I think Danny did the right thing.

(Also, I still miss Catherine. I may be the only one, but I don't care. I love her and I liked her and Steve. And, I wish she was still around being awesome.)

• Love 3

@lynny, I miss her too. Steve should at the very least talk about hearing from her. Even if she has no leads on that kid. Just something to let us know she is still "out there" and on his mind.

Edited by webruce
  • Love 1

anna0852 Quote: Can I just say that seeing Timothy V. Murphy playing a character with a soul is unnerving. I know him as Sidarov from NCIS:LA and Ian Doyle from Criminal Minds. In both he played a sadistic crime boss and a multiple episode big bad. I know he was no angel here but it was still weird.

Yes my thoughts exactly! But it was kinda nice. It isn't always fun to pretty much know the bad guy by what guest actors will be in an episode.

I was surprised when Killer for hire, Nick "Valentine" Mercer sniped Killer Gordon Bristol.We saw how tough Bristol was when he took out all 5 of the customs inspectors. I thought maybe at first it was his partner who didn't want him caught? I was surpsied Steve was so sloppy and Bristol saw his wire. I know the HPD cars are usually spotted, but Steve was sloppy. Even if he was on 2nd level and "blending in"! Maybe Grover helped give it away, lol. But we see after Mercer is hit, and escapes, comendeers a Ambulance crew. But kills a mouthy EMT. After it was stopped, we see Danny saing how Ironic when Steve said to call for an ambulance, lol.
There have been studies that people can change slightly by heart transplants and by other operations. HIm being there to protect people he had hidden from a Kill List was cool, especially at end when they drive by him and all wave or smile. I loved it! I had tears! The faraway hidden camp was nice. But yes they needed back up.

One thing I saw that a Ford Ambulance out ran Steve's Silverado! It seems all the bad guy cars, or most are Fords! The team ofcourse drive Chevy. I also thought Mercer was by a Chevy Malibu and when it got shot up it changed to a Ford Focus? I used to hate to see Cop shows growing up that a car make or model would change as the action happened. The Dukes of Hazzard movie was the worst. The boys had gone to do jumps in a traveling Thrill Show, I believe and were practicing jumps in a non General Lee and during one jump had 3 different brands(Ford, Chevy, Plymouth) in the air and it was supposed to be the same car. Granted most people don't look for that, but I usually spot it. Today they do much better at having the same model vehicles to shoot up and crash. But I hate movies/tvshows, crashing old model cars! They aren't making any more of them!

Chin worked hard to get money for Danno's ransome for Matty's release. Steve going into Danny's house and the Millions laying in piles all over the room was cool. I thought when Danny and Steve,(Danny gave him a nice complement for saying he would go in for him),good job both, went to see Marco Reyas they would have some kind of back up. Or when Marco took the money and told Danny, "Go home if you love your daugher", that they would come back in camo and take him. I didn't tihnk they would come back then and shoot him. How did Danny get all that money through customs? What would happen if 2 5-0 Officers were found dead in Columbia? Marco Reyas would probably have planted pot on them to make them look corrupt. Was matty's body actually in the barrel? Will have to have "Bones" or "CSI" check the remains. Will there be more to this storyline?? I hope so. Either Matt is in on it, or he is alive and in custody of Reye's boss? So Danny may hear more about his brother in future. And what will Chin have to do because of the 5.5 Mil, he "borrowed"? Will he owe Gabriel Waincroft? The other 13 should be 5-0 money.

Like actor who plays Albert Bagosa. He usually plays baddies too. I am now watching Stargate SG-1 on Netflix disc. He plays Jacob Carter/Selmak.

Jerry and Kamekona eating in car and watching the Book Store would make a good team.

Nice to see Charlie Fong, he is few and far between anymore. But with Kono and Adam together, maybe they don't have as much story for him. But keep him on just like Max.

I also wondered if Special Agent Chapman will be an item for Steve?

Edited by webruce

I know that Danny didn't want to see the decomposing body of his brother, but he did need closure and needed to make sure that his brother really was dead.  Personally, and as a cop, he should have looked in the barrel, or asked Steve to do so.

• Love 1

I'm assuming that the barrel came back to the US with them and that Dr. Bergmen handled the identification. If the body was decomposed (and if it fit in a barrel, this is likely) then Steve looking in there would not have enable them to identify the body as Matt.  Not to mention the US authorities are not going to issue a death certificate on the the strength of Danny saying that someone (who is now dead as well) in Columbia claimed the barrel contained his brother's body but they have no way to verify. 

• Love 1

There may not have been any body in the barrel at all, which is why it should have been checked there in Columbia.  There wouldn't be a reason to transport a barrel that was filled with something other than the possible body of Danny's brother.  I wouldn't think that they would want to haul the barrel back to the U.S. without at least knowing what it contained.  A quick look would have told them whether or not there was a body, then they could have transported the barrel and body for the medical examiner to check out.

• Love 1

I'm assuming that the barrel came back to the US with them and that Dr. Bergmen handled the identification.

There may not have been any body in the barrel at all, which is why it should have been checked there in Columbia.

It was a glaring oversight to take a *criminal's* word on it. Not for anything, in the prior episode, Steve was advising the parents to ask for proof of life. Where was that here? 

• Love 1

I laughed again because yet another car drives away in a hail of gunfire. 

That was the worst escape ever. I mean at least last week when the car got shot up everyone was on foot. This time they actually had HPD cars all over the place and not one single car thought to try and chase down the get away car. That said this is 5-0 so I guess they figured that if Steve wasn't doing anything they didn't have to either. And when Steve was chasing the ambulance, why not call for back up.

I find it inconceivable that two unarmed American law enforcement personnel would willingly enter the lair of a Colombian drug lord toting 18 and a half million dollars and several duffel bags.  What was to stop the guy from just killing them as soon as they showed up and taking the money?  Really ridiculous.  They should have demanded a meeting on a neutral site and had snipers (Kono?) set up to protect them.  They should have asked that Matt be brought to the meeting.

How can we be sure it was just the two of them? Steve and Danny are friends with a SEAL team that is ok with doing off the books missions. Who is to say that those SEAL guys weren't outside waiting for Steve and Danny to come upstairs.

That said I hope the money is mentioned in the up coming episodes, since I think just forgetting about it would be a mistake. Although how would a cop get rid of 13 million dollars worth of dirty money?

Who is to say that those SEAL guys weren't outside waiting for Steve and Danny

"The solution to this problem is left as an exercise to the viewer."

Generally speaking, if you have insurance when dealing with a mobster, it's a good idea to mention it to the mobster.