Type keyword(s) to search

SNL: The Current Cast Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Discussion in this topic is for current cast members. Thank you!

• Start Topic

I was just thinking that Kate started the season after Vanessa. (She was more or less a replacement for Paul Brittain.) It was just a few episodes, but her contract might very well be wrapping up.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

Wow. Pretty sad tweet from Leslie Jones. Sometimes the ones who make us laugh are the saddest of all

Sad but very true for far too many people. I hope Leslie has people in her corner—and a good therapist—to support her. 

• Love 5

A selfie at the gym with the following caption:

Ok back to cardio. But confession I feel like I’m doing it for nothing. I know it not I’m healthy and look good but I really feel like “what’s it all for” if the people you want to notice don’t. I just feel like I might die alone. Sorry that’s pretty heavy today!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

I can't access Twitter at work. 

Isn’t that horrible? I can’t access PreviouslyTV at all from my work computer. I’m typing this from my tablet as we speak. Er, as I speak. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I read on another site that Luke Null broke his ankle. Bad luck for anybody, but for someone who has struggled with getting airtime as much as he has, it seems especially unfortunate. I hope they can find a way to work him in to the final two shows, so he has a fighting chance to show what he can do. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, vb68 said:

Well, this is certainly interesting.  I thought Pete was still dating Larry David's daughter and she was a big inspiration for him getting clean and sober. 

Their breakup was reported last Wednesday.

http://people.com/tv/pete-davidson-confirms-split-cazzie-david/

For those who don't know, they met when her dad first hosted the show. Cazzie is currently working on an Amazon series.

Speaking of Pete, what do y'all think of him? When he first joined the cast, James Andrew Miller said he could be the next Adam Sandler. Four seasons later, I'm not seeing it. Is he that useful to SNL? It was odd (or not so odd) the way he got hired, thanks to Bill Hader's recommendation,.

• Love 1

He's not super useful, not like Hader or even Samburg, but I think people like him a whole lot when they do see him. The Chad character (it's Chad, right?) cracks me up, and I really enjoy his WU spots.

• Love 1
On 9/17/2018 at 10:32 PM, JZL said:

Hader wins Emmy for best comedic actor for Barry.  I'm shocked, but how cool.

I'm just a little surprised he now has an Emmy that has nothing to do with SNL.

I think it was deserved. Barry really showed his range as an actor.  There was one scene near the end of the season that made me say "DAMN!" aloud. Congratulations Bill!

• Love 2

I worry about Pete anyway, and I was dreading this since I heard he was going out with her. It was just inevitable. I wish the show (i.e. Lorne) would have kept it off the show just like Colin does with his girlfriend.  But there you have it.

• Love 7

I'm sympathetic to anyone who goes through a tough break-up, but I hope this helps Pete grow up a little bit.  He needs to.  His humor does, too, imho.

Edited by JZL
  • Love 5

The headline is a little dramatic but the Pete relationship saga continues.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/ny-ent-ariana-grande-pete-davidson-split-20181102-story.html

I'm both sympathetic to and impatient with both of them. 

And while I have been pleasantly surprised by Ariana's talent since seeing her on SNL, she continues to bug in many ways. I don't care how busy you are or how many characters you've used, you are a full grown adult and you can write "and" instead of "n."

On 11/3/2018 at 5:45 PM, possibilities said:

Maybe we can finally get someone else to play Trump. I've never understood why Baldwin's impression was considered so essential to SNL. There are plenty of other people who could do it.

Darrell Hammond was the best, IMO. 

• Love 3

I've noticed that for the past couple of weeks, Kyle is finally getting more roles in sketches. His humor can be so offbeat, that it's kinda interesting to see him do some straightman roles like he did with the Incest Brothers sketch.

Someone noticed in the latest episode thread that Kate's Jeff Sessions was singing goodbye to a pic of Alec as Trump.   Anybody have a strong feeling that they are indeed done with Alec as Trump?

On October 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM, vb68 said:

I worry about Pete anyway, and I was dreading this since I heard he was going out with her. It was just inevitable. I wish the show (i.e. Lorne) would have kept it off the show just like Colin does with his girlfriend.  But there you have it.

I have found it incredibly, extremely inappropriate that Lorne milked Pete  and Ariana's relationship like he did. Anyone knew the relationship wouldn't last.  Pete suffers from addictions and I don't know much about Ariana but it appears she has had a very hard time over the past year. 

Lorne wouldn't go after Jost and Scarlett like this. Of course Jost has more to offer than Davidson. 

This was low hanging fruit and a mature, talented show runner would have avoided it. 

• Love 6

I will say that this wouldn't be the first time that SNL has taken the moment to comment on the moment, as in bits of sketches taking shots at Belushi's "excesses"  all those years ago,for example.Or just last week, mentioning Baldwin. I think Lorne has proven himself to be a talented and mature show runner since 1975(minus the five years he stepped away). And, with respect, saying Jost has "more to offer" than Davidson? Because Jost is a writer and WU anchor he's more important than Pete?  Again, with respect, just trying to figure out that statement. Yes, I'm in Pete's corner. Addiction is a bitch and I think maybe Lorne sees a young man that he'd like to not eventually lose the way he did Belushi and Farley. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

• Love 3

Sincere best thoughts to Pete. I hope he has his loved ones all around him during the holidays, and if he needs treatment, I pray he gets it. And honestly, if he doesn't need the stress of the show for awhile either, that's absolutely fine. Everybody will understand.

Good thoughts.

• Love 5

I think it's easy to understand, when someone you're around is very much into something and always playing it, you sometimes just hate it based on proximity and overplay and because you haven't had the chance to discover it on your own.  There's a lot of music I grew up around my parents playing, and only now through the freedom of living without them do I understand it.

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think it's easy to understand, when someone you're around is very much into something and always playing it, you sometimes just hate it based on proximity and overplay 

True, but he said he played one song for his wife and she immediately pronounced that she hated it/them.  I wonder what the song was!

Aidy has that new Hulu series coming out very soon, but says she isn't leaving SNL.  She's been very smart and has gone to Lorne to get his approval. The article says the series is only six episodes. I suppose there could be future seasons, but for now I can see why she's hesitant to bolt.

Furthermore, if I'm right that Kenan leaves at the end of the season to do his sitcom, I doubt Kate leaves, too. No way Lorne lets them leave at the same time. Just my two cents.

2 hours ago, vb68 said:

Furthermore, if I'm right that Kenan leaves at the end of the season to do his sitcom, I doubt Kate leaves, too. No way Lorne lets them leave at the same time. Just my two cents.

Isn't this Kate's seventh season? If they sign seven-season contracts (and she hasn't signed any addendums since joining) I don't think there's anything Lorne can do to keep her if she wants out. 

She's been doing some pretty steady film work which pays better and has a less grueling schedule. I imagine if she's been getting other offers her agents will absolutely encourage her not to renew with SNL.

3 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I imagine if she's been getting other offers her agents will absolutely encourage her not to renew with SNL.

But don't under estimate how much pull  Lorne has and is willing to use. I remember he was already courting her in public at last year's Emmy awards before the current season started.  (And I think she ended up buckling and saying she would stay, not that that means anything except that she was feeling pressure.)  But if Lorne says he needs her for another year or two, I think it's very hard for Kate or any of them really to say no.

I also have doubts they would already have her playing Elizabeth Warren if there was a real sense that she will be leaving at the end of the season.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, vb68 said:

But don't under estimate how much pull  Lorne has and is willing to use. I remember he was already courting her in public at last year's Emmy awards before the current season started.  (And I think she ended up buckling and saying she would stay, not that that means anything except that she was feeling pressure.)  But if Lorne says he needs her for another year or two, I think it's very hard for Kate or any of them really to say no.

I also have doubts they would already have her playing Elizabeth Warren if there was a real sense that she will be leaving at the end of the season.

This is true, but I would hate for her (or anybody) to miss out on better opportunities just because Lorne wants them to stay. She doesn't owe him that, is what I mean, and I'd bet anything that she has people in her life that are telling her the same thing.

I personally, one hundred percent believe this show could survive losing Kenan and Kate at the same time. There was an SNL before them and there will be an SNL after them. If this show is ever in a position where it lives or dies by one or two cast members, something is seriously wrong, and I don't think that's the case at this juncture (it's the writing that needs the overhaul).

I also don't know if her playing Warren is a big indicator. It's a looooong primary season and anything can happen. Warren is not guaranteed to be the nominee. If that's how they're playing it, then I expect a cast member brought on to specifically play Kamala Harris in September (Ego is not that cast member). They'll also need a Gillibrand. They've got Chris for Booker, and I think Aidy could do Klobuchar (I know Rachel Dratch played her in the season premiere, but I'd like to not end up in a situation where we're farming out the president role to somebody who's not currently on the show for another four years).

• Love 3
20 hours ago, helenamonster said:

then I expect a cast member brought on to specifically play Kamala Harris in September (Ego is not that cast member)

It's interesting that you mention that as I have been thinking about it.  I agree with you that I don't see Ego getting it. I think  they would have let her test drive the impression by now to get a sense of how it would work if that's how they were inclined to go. Why do I see them trying to get Maya to come back for it?  That just seems like something they would try, and I could see her possibly doing it depending on how long she would need to commit to it. But then do they also beg Sudeikis to revive his Biden if they need that one, too?   

Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer current cast members play these parts. That's why they are there. But the show has gotten to where they like guest (or fan) casting big political impressions.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
On 2/12/2019 at 9:46 PM, helenamonster said:

This is true, but I would hate for her (or anybody) to miss out on better opportunities just because Lorne wants them to stay. She doesn't owe him that, is what I mean, and I'd bet anything that she has people in her life that are telling her the same thing.

I personally, one hundred percent believe this show could survive losing Kenan and Kate at the same time. There was an SNL before them and there will be an SNL after them. If this show is ever in a position where it lives or dies by one or two cast members, something is seriously wrong, and I don't think that's the case at this juncture (it's the writing that needs the overhaul).

I also don't know if her playing Warren is a big indicator. It's a looooong primary season and anything can happen. Warren is not guaranteed to be the nominee. If that's how they're playing it, then I expect a cast member brought on to specifically play Kamala Harris in September (Ego is not that cast member). They'll also need a Gillibrand. They've got Chris for Booker, and I think Aidy could do Klobuchar (I know Rachel Dratch played her in the season premiere, but I'd like to not end up in a situation where we're farming out the president role to somebody who's not currently on the show for another four years).

Knowing SNL I wouldn't be surprised if they just have Leslie Jones play Kamala. 

I think SNL can survive losing any cast member. It has before. Even Kenan, who has been a wonderful utility player, could have left at any time without any huge upheaval. I will say even now in what must be his last season, he still fits in pretty well. I can't say I feel that way about Kate McKinnon, mostly because of the show misusing her talents for several years now. It feels like they have mined everything they feel she has to offer. She's in the position now of some of their former players like Molly Shannon, who stayed just a bit too long, and it was noticeable onscreen. (I think Molly only stayed as long as she did because she wanted the record for the longest running female cast member [which someone else has probably broken since that time]).