Type keyword(s) to search

SNL: The Current Cast Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Discussion in this topic is for current cast members. Thank you!

• Start Topic

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, vb68 said:

It's interesting that you mention that as I have been thinking about it.  I agree with you that I don't see Ego getting it. I think  they would have let her test drive the impression by now to get a sense of how it would work if that's how they were inclined to go. Why do I see them trying to get Maya to come back for it?  That just seems like something they would try, and I could see her possibly doing it depending on how long she would need to commit to it. But then do they also beg Sudeikis to revive his Biden if they need that one, too?   

Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer current cast members play these parts. That's why they are there. But the show has gotten to where they like guest (or fan) casting big political impressions.

My husband and I discovered that when we think of Biden, it's Sudeikis as Biden and not the actual Biden!

• LOL 3
On 2/15/2019 at 6:20 PM, cpcathy said:

My husband and I discovered that when we think of Biden, it's Sudeikis as Biden and not the actual Biden!

Whenever someone mentions Donald Trump, Jr. AND I'M ERIC, my mind automatically goes to their SNL portrayals. In fact, I'm not even 100% positive I could pick the real Eric Trump out of a lineup. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, augmentedfourth said:

Whenever someone mentions Donald Trump, Jr. AND I'M ERIC, my mind automatically goes to their SNL portrayals. In fact, I'm not even 100% positive I could pick the real Eric Trump out of a lineup. 

The only way I would want to have to ID "and I'm ERIC" is out of a lineup... 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm wondering more and more how much longer Michael Che wants to stay around, at least at the Update Desk.   I know we shouldn't take anything he says on-air too literally, but  I do get the sense he really is over talking about Trump and the news in general. But then I've always found him a little bit of an odd fit for that job anyway. I think it helps to be something of a news junkie, like Seth,  and  Che has always seemed like he could care less.  He's started expressing that more directly the past few weeks. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

I'm wondering more and more how much longer Michael Che wants to stay around, at least at the Update Desk.   I know we shouldn't take anything he says on-air too literally, but  I do get the sense he really is over talking about Trump and the news in general. But then I've always found him a little bit of an odd fit for that job anyway. I think it helps to be something of a news junkie, like Seth,  and  Che has always seemed like he could care less.  He's started expressing that more directly the past few weeks. 

Agreed. If you follow him on Insta (which is a trip and a half, let me tell you) 50% of his stories* are him bitching about current events and wondering why people are getting worked up over them. It really is a bizarre position for him--not that I think he'd work well as a regular cast member, I sincerely doubt he has the range.

*The other 50% are him bitching about comedy critics. He covers it well on the show but he appears to be a very fragile, insecure person. The scuttlebutt from the days when he was still up and coming was that he's always been really sensitive and was the kind of guy who'd friend you on Facebook after meeting you once and bombard you with invites to his stand-up sets. Apparently a lot of his contemporaries were stunned when he got the Weekend Update gig.

• Love 5

I had no idea Heidi Gardner had been around SNL for years - she's in the late-night/early-morning video of Taran doing Robyn's Call Your Girlfriend in the writers room back in 2011! (I randomly watch it every few years, because yes, IT BRINGS ME JOY.) 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I had no idea Heidi Gardner had been around SNL for years - she's in the late-night/early-morning video of Taran doing Robyn's Call Your Girlfriend in the writers room back in 2011! (I randomly watch it every few years, because yes, IT BRINGS ME JOY.) 

Are you talking about the blonde? Because that's Abby Elliott, who was in the cast at the time.

• Love 2

Are you talking about the blonde? Because that's Abby Elliott, who was in the cast at the time.

Nope! Heidi has brown hair at this point and is standing in the corner, holding one of the flashlights. At the beginning of the video Taran says everyone who is in the room and "Heidi" is one of them. There's also a moment later in the video where you can see her face more clearly, so I'm 99.9% sure it's her.

(edited)
50 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

Nope! Heidi has brown hair at this point and is standing in the corner, holding one of the flashlights. At the beginning of the video Taran says everyone who is in the room and "Heidi" is one of them

He says he's there with "Zack, Sarah, Bobby, Abby, and Vanessa."   Heidi was not there or involved in the show at that time.

Sarah Schneider was one of the writers at the time.  That's her in the corner.   I've never thought about it, but I guess she does look similar to Heidi. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Sarah Schneider was one of the writers at the time.  That's her in the corner.   I've never thought about it, but I guess she does look similar to Heidi. 

Oh geez - that's totally who it is! I have no explanation for how I heard Heidi when he definitely didn't say Heidi, but yeah - those two women definitely have some resemblance to each other.

• Love 1
(edited)

I complain so much about SNL, and Lorne Michaels, to the point where I'm pretty sure 98% of my posts are just complaints. And sometimes I wonder if that is just built into me, because some of the cast members I found irritating in the waning years before I went on my umpteenth SNL hiatus (around the mid-00s I guess - I quit because I was just tired of the awful, empty political humor [some things never change], the overall sketch writing just felt off to me, and I felt like the show was still stuck in trying to recreate more 'stars' rather than writing for their ensemble), like Andy Samberg and Seth Meyers, and I find them much more likeable in their post-SNL projects. I go back and look at some of their old SNL stuff now, 10-15 years later, and they aren't really bad at all. I think - well, that's my inherent bitterness about SNL, but there are others like Will Ferrell that annoyed me on SNL and still annoy me today, and others I generally thought were alright on SNL but annoy me now (Jimmy Fallon), so who knows. 

Anyway, the above rambling has no real point, but watching some of the years that I mostly skipped (late '00s to mid/late '10s) I see that they had some really funny and talented men in the cast - I'm especially annoyed that I inadvertently avoided pretty much anything with Bill Hader and didn't watch most of his work until after he left, as he is the exact type of SNL player that I love most. They also seemed to be fairly distinctive from each other and brought a lot to the show.

I don't feel like that's the case with the men in the cast now. Jost and Che are mostly a drag on the show for me, especially Che. Pete Davidson is likeable enough, I guess, and charismatic, but I feel like he and Leslie Jones both kind of just fit the bill of being personalities sort of on the side (although Leslie has fit in a bit more the last year or two).  Kenan Thompson is Kenan Thompson, very reliable, very funny in his range, and I can see why Lorne hasn't wanted to let him go. Chris Redd is fine, but I get the feeling he could leave tomorrow without much notice. Beck Bennett/Alex Moffat/Mikey Day/Kyle Mooney all kind of blur together for me - I feel awful for saying this but it actually took me a while to remember who was who, and I kept forgetting Day was even in the cast. 

I think the female cast is stronger, but I don't feel like the show knows what to do with them, and some of the material, like that "Trump's Angels" sketch, felt oddly misogynist for 2019. I'm not sure how it compares to the female cast of 10 years ago - I just remember people saying Kristen Wiig got everything in those years. 

Kate McKinnon, who is very funny, in particular I feel is often misused. Aidy Bryant is a pretty solid utility player. I probably like Cecily Strong the best, as she reminds me a lot of the women in the late '80s (she has that sharp edge), but I have a feeling she is one of those cast members many fans won't remember down the line. Melissa Villasenor and Heidi Gardner sort of go together in my head. Ego Nwodim seems fine, but I don't think she's ever going to have a shot on the show, even if she scrapes through to another season. 

If Kate is leaving, I don't think, talented and charismatic as she is, that it will be a huge loss because I don't feel like they use her properly anyway, but I do think Kenan's inevitable departure (doesn't he have some sitcom on the way?) will be more difficult to make up.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2
On 3/8/2019 at 6:29 AM, Pete Martell said:

I go back and look at some of their old SNL stuff now, 10-15 years later, and they aren't really bad at all.

That seems to be a general rule of thumb with SNL.  People always want to look back and think the show and the cast was better back when.

• Love 3

Don't know if anyone else listens to Casey Wilson's podcast bitch sesh but she had Kristen Wiig on the latest episode and Casey described Kristen as one of the only people who was nice to her on SNL!

Shes had Vanessa Bayer on a few times too and I think it was in the Roxanne Gay episode that she talks about the humiliation she felt when NBC made her put out a statement that she hadn't been fired for being fat.

• Love 3

There's a very long New Yorker profile of Bill Hader that came out yesterday. 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/03/18/bill-hader-kills

There are big Barry spoilers - not just for last season, but for which the season that has yet to air. Big as in I've seen a number of fans say they really regret reading the article for that reason.

It's a very poignant read as they talk a lot about his self-doubt and struggles, but I shouldn't just focus on that aspect as there are lots of interesting parts to go through. The SNL portions you've probably already seen before in one article or another, but there are some good quotes from Lorne, Kristen Wiig, John Mulaney, Seth Meyers, etc. 

• Love 1

Bill Hader got divorced? He quit Now I know why he was alone at the Emmys, and I didn’t see his wedding ring. This is the same man who wore his ring as a spinster in Documentary Now.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:29 AM, Pete Martell said:

I complain so much about SNL, and Lorne Michaels, to the point where I'm pretty sure 98% of my posts are just complaints.

Er, maybe only 90% 🤪  I enjoyed reading your post, though, and agree with a lot of it. 

It's nice to see someone who has the same low opinion of Will Ferrell as me. 

I may go down as one of the last Che defenders.  Partly this is because people forget how bad Seth Myers* was for soooo long, how week after week his smirkily-delivered "jokes" would far-too-often pancake to silence.  If Che would tweak just a couple things, he would be fine.  First, he needs to stop laughing at his own jokes.  Similarly, he needs to stop trying so hard to be cool.  There's nothing more un-cool than someone trying hard to be cool. 

*He's much better at his current jerb. 

• Love 3

Well,I loved Seth on Update from the start, so I'm not judging his awkwardness. .lol. and I like Che too,he took some getting used to,but when I think of how Dennis Miller laughed at his own jokes also,I don't mind. 

• Love 1

This was probably already posted years ago, but it's a 2016 Norm Macdonald podcast with Bill Hader as a guest (there's also a version of this on Youtube with video but it's sort of blurry due to copyright). They talk a lot about not just the usual SNL tales, but also their experiences with Jim Downey and Don Pardo. It rambles at times but I thought it was worth the listen. 

I just saw an interview with Chris Parnell and realized he was on the most recent season of Match Game. I just adored Chris when he was on SNL and I don't watch enough things with him now. I wondered why I didn't ever even try to check this out, especially since I like the Match Game...

Then I was reminded that Alec Baldwin hosts the show, and I mostly just went, "Oh yeah...that's why." 

Still, he could have gotten Parnell the gig for all I know, so I can't be too critical. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I just saw an interview with Chris Parnell and realized he was on the most recent season of Match Game. I just adored Chris when he was on SNL and I don't watch enough things with him now. I wondered why I didn't ever even try to check this out, especially since I like the Match Game...

This reminded me of the short-lived Chris Gethard show Big Lake that aired for just a season back in 2010.  Parnell co-starred along with Horatio Sanz and a young Dylan Blue.  They were all great.

Was I the only one who ever saw this?

• Love 2

I only just realized Parnell is the voice of that Progressive "Box" in those commercials that run all the fricking time. I never connected it.

I think Alec is "playing" Gene Rayburn on Match Game, which does make it kinda funny.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, vb68 said:

I only just realized Parnell is the voice of that Progressive "Box" in those commercials that run all the fricking time. I never connected it.

Oh wow. I feel dumb. He has such a distinct voice and every time that damn box comes up it's been bothering me who it sounds like. I feel slightly less annoyed by these commercials since I know they're making bank for somebody I like.

On another note, I knew it was Tina in those Walgreens commercials the first time I heard them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

Oh wow. I feel dumb. He has such a distinct voice and every time that damn box comes up it's been bothering me who it sounds like. I feel slightly less annoyed by these commercials since I know they're making bank for somebody I like.

On another note, I knew it was Tina in those Walgreens commercials the first time I heard them.

Looks like he even did his Chris Parnell rap in one of them. I wonder if he ever thought he'd be spending 20 years cashing in on doing rap.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AOQi/progressive-boxs-b-side

• Love 1

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/kate-mckinnon-heads-will-roll-cover-art-1203154487/

Audible has released the cover art for “Heads Will Roll,” an original scripted comedy and the first project to emerge from the company’s new deal Broadway Video.

Set to launch May 2nd, the absurdist 10-episode medieval series comes from the minds of “Saturday Night Live” cast member Kate McKinnon and her sister Emily Lynne, who both star.

McKinnon plays the evil Queen Mortuana of the Night Realm, while Lynne will voice her ditsy raven minion JoJo. After they receive a prophecy about an imminent peasant uprising, the pair must journey to find the “Shard of Acquiescence,” which will put down the rebellion and save the throne. Listeners will find out if their friendship will survive the perils of politics, which entails sensitive generals, chatty sex slaves, whiny behemoths, princes with bird fetishes, and the notion of democracy.

The raunchy satire also includes the talents of Andrea Martin, Carol Kane, Audra McDonald, Aidy Bryant, Alex Moffat, Heidi Gardner, Chris Redd, Steve Higgins, Bob the Drag Queen, Esther Perel, and more.

• Love 1

Another Bill Hader interview, going into a bit about his SNL years, how you're in a bubble in terms of not knowing people are following your work on the show, his anxiety (even hosting last year had a bad effect on him), etc.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bill-hader-went-through-some-dark-shit-on-snl-so-he-made-a-tv-show-about-it

Tim Meadows interview. He is asked why the show has changed so much from his era on the show to today, and about whether black comedians are treated fairly on the show.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tim-meadows-on-how-snl-was-so-different-in-the-90s

• Love 1
(edited)

So I think they basically confirmed for us that Sudeikis is likely to be their Biden for the upcoming campaign.

Who else do we have?

Probably Kate as Elizabeth Warren assuming Kate stays on.

Do they invite Larry David back if they need Bernie?  I'm assuming yes.

I'm happy to be wrong, but I'm still betting Maya Rudolph ends up as Kamala Harris (again as needed).

Oddly enough I can see Pete of all people as Beto  O'Rourke (tall and skinny).  No idea if Pete wants to commit to something like that.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, vb68 said:

So I think they basically confirmed for us that Sudeikis is likely to be their Biden for the upcoming campaign.

Who else do we have?

Probably Kate as Elizabeth Warren assuming Kate stays on.

Do they invite Larry David back if they need Bernie?  I'm assuming yes.

I'm happy to be wrong, but I'm still betting Maya Rudolph ends up as Kamala Harris (again as needed).

Oddly enough I can see Pete of all people as Beto  O'Rourke (tall and skinny).  No idea if Pete wants to commit to something like that.

At first I thought that Mikey Day would be a good Beto, but the more I look at Beto's face, especially his chin, I could see it being Alex Moffat. 

I've seen some John Mulaney fans saying they want him to be Pete Buttigeg (that's assuming Pete even gets far enough to be spoofed on SNL). I don't see Mulaney necessarily wanting to do that. I could see Pete Davidson playing the role - you really wouldn't have to do much other than look sweet and cute and say, "I'm gay. Did you know I'm gay? Oh this is my husband and I'm gay." (that's about the level SNL would go to) Pete can do all of that. 

If Ego stays on the show I could see her being Kamala. 

• Love 3

I wonder if they're trying to wait out the primary season a bit before assigning impressions. There will be at least three debates while the show is off for the summer (possibly four depending on when they schedule the September one) so we should assume some of the low-polling and non-delusional candidates will drop off before we return for season 45.

• Love 3

That's hilarious!

Not sure if the Hulu Limited Series affects Kate's status going forward.  It hasn't for Aidy. At the end of the day, Kate doesn't seem the type who would willingly blow off Lorne. There's no way Lorne would want to lose her and Kenan at once.  He may agree to reduce her workload next year. I believe he did for Bill Hader's last season. Bill was only coming in maybe the Friday before the show.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

Colin Jost on Kevin Nealon's hiking show (it looks like some other SNL people have been on there as well). Another reminder that Youtube and vlogging lead to such strange crossovers for SNL casts. Can you imagine, say, a hiking show with Laraine Newman and Melanie Hutsell? 

I really wish they would get rid of Kyle Mooney. He is just so damn unfunny. I feel like they should get rid of him & maybe cast an Asian male comedian or just not replace him. I feel like certain cast members could be incredible but the writing is what is holding them back. The writing for the show has been BAD this season. The only time it isn't is when they have someone like John Mulaney or Donald Glover who know how to write funny sketches. 

• Love 2