Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

This is so fucking stupid.  Why would you move it to Monday night during it's final episodes!!??  What a disgrace.

Have they ever been on a Monday before?   Maybe they just wanted to make sure they hit every day to fill in the Bingo card.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Have they ever been on a Monday before?   Maybe they just wanted to make sure they hit every day to fill in the Bingo card.

No, they haven't. So Scheduling Bingo it is!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I do wonder if they are taking a longer break to retool the finale?

I'd love to believe Dabb is being forced to rethink the finale Jensen doesn't like, especially since the fact that he didn't like it has received so much press within the interviews Jensen has given this week. But that would require Dabb to care.

Honestly I think the move is simple in that the CW is trying to figure out what shows are going to best headline their nights when SPN is gone, and they don't want to wait until next year to do that. And too they might be trying to give Roswell a boost on Mondays by pairing it with SPN for now.

As for airing the finale in May, that makes sense too as year-long network series usually air their finales in May, and the CW is going to want to make a big deal of the series ending. Last year's finale at the end of April was actually unusual. The season finales have normally aired in May.

Of course, that does mean there are going to be a lot of breaks to stretch the season to mid-May.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PAForrest said:

Of course, that does mean there are going to be a lot of breaks to stretch the season to mid-May.

There aren't enough Mondays from March 16 until May.  There will be 10 Mondays and 12 episodes. 

They'd either have to double up two weeks or cut the episode order to fit it all in.

9 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

There aren't enough Mondays from March 16 until May.  There will be 10 Mondays and 12 episodes. 

They'd either have to double up two weeks or cut the episode order to fit it all in.

I don`t think they will only start up on March 16th, they might stupidly air two or three episodes in January still. Katy Keene only takes over their Thursday timeslot on Feb 6th so as CW starts up in mid-January with new episodes again, the timeslots of Jan 16th, 23th and 30th are still free. They could air episodes 9 to 11 there.  

I thought they were gonna air a retrospective for the entire show on May 18th in the 8 pm timeslot, then air the Finale after. They did this for TVD and are doing this for Arrow. But maybe they will actually stupidly air episodes 12 - 19, then air a retrospective, then the next week air the Finale. 

I`m pretty sure they said SPN is gonna get one and it would be ludicrous for their longest running show not to do it but to waste an entire week on it would be crazy. People might think they DID watch the Finale the previous week and this is just a farewell.  

No way the episode order is getting tweaked at this point. They said 20, there will be 20.

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

I don`t think they will only start up on March 16th, they might stupidly air two or three episodes in January still. Katy Keene only takes over their Thursday timeslot on Feb 6th so as CW starts up in mid-January with new episodes again, the timeslots of Jan 16th, 23th and 30th are still free. They could air episodes 9 to 11 there.

Yeah, I'm sorry if I misread the notice, but I didn't think they were going to be off the air until March. I assumed there would be episodes at least in January. Maybe I misunderstood.

6 minutes ago, PAForrest said:

Yeah, I'm sorry if I misread the notice, but I didn't think they were going to be off the air until March. I assumed there would be episodes at least in January. Maybe I misunderstood.

No, I think you were correct. Just instead of a lot of little breaks, there will be a 6 week hiatus over February and then into mid-March.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I still say this is thanks to good buzz from last week's episode.

I've always believed that theory as well.  Only the premiere or some special promoted guest really boosts ratings.  Otherwise it's driven by whether or not the people liked the previous week or the current story line.  I also think the Supernatural audience has demonstrated patience with clunkers.  So there is a limited amount of loss with a poor episode IMO. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Well no adjustments in the finals. We stayed at a steady .3 with over 1,300 viewers. And if the Flash was a repeat (I think it was) we will win the week in ratings and viewers.

It was a repeat. Though that shows overall how weak the CW shows are in conventional ratings. Some shows are in a free-fall, maybe they have younger audiences who watch their shows more on streaming platforms or something. I was far more entertained by last night`s episode of Legacies and that show sucked balls in the beginning last year.

I know SPN got an influx of younger viewers (they seem to be the ones worshipping the writers on twitter) but overall it might still be the "oldest" show on the network in terms of all-around viewership.

Maybe Arrow as well though I think that might skew a little bit younger still. Ironically, they are doing a pretty good job of crafting a final nostalgia Season with some genuine moments.   

Will be interested to see if this year`s DC x-over brings in some better ratings, it`s certainly being hyped though I personally hate the scheduling with the month-long break in between. 

On 11/22/2019 at 11:56 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

Whaaat? You mean the impending return of The Angel didn't immediately triple the ratings? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked. I guess all those 'I'll be back when Cas is back' people don't have Neilsen boxes.

Didn't it used to be holding steady at .6 -.8 4EVER until Eugenia decided their audience was the Riverdale crowd? They were probably the only show to escape death by Friday.

Yeah... well I  can't wait to see them sell their next idea based on these numbers. Their bad writing has literally have lost the network ad revenue and caused the leads to quit which loses them their network anchor and all of the $ that came from the non-stop reruns and streaming, etc.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:18 PM, catrox14 said:

This is so fucking stupid.  Why would you move it to Monday night during it's final episodes!!??  What a disgrace.

Moving to Monday after midseason finale????

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

Didn't it used to be holding steady at .6 -.8 4EVER until Eugenia decided their audience was the Riverdale crowd? They were probably the only show to escape death by Friday.

Yeah... well I  can't wait to see them sell their next idea based on these numbers. Their bad writing has literally have lost the network ad revenue and caused the leads to quit which loses them their network anchor and all of the $ that came from the non-stop reruns and streaming, etc.

Moving to Monday after midseason finale????

Not after the mid-Season Finale. Most likely episodes 9 - 11 will still air in January on Thursdays. Then the show will have a 6 week hiatus and then return mid-March on Monday. 

34 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Not after the mid-Season Finale. Most likely episodes 9 - 11 will still air in January on Thursdays. Then the show will have a 6 week hiatus and then return mid-March on Monday. 

Thanks. This seems like a recipe to lose viewers. I guess they only care about streaming.

• Love 1

If I were the president or on the board of directors of a netwok, whose leading show for more than a decade, was drastically dropping in marketable rating, I would demand lengthy hiatus to rewrite and refilm any episodes. I would be more than happy to extend the season by months, if necessary, to correct the retcon of everything, while insisting on an actual story that unifies rather than polarizes 15 years.  In the final year of a 15 year run, Supernatural series finale episodes should have quadrupled with old viewers returning for nostalgia.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Shannonsspirit said:

If I were the president or on the board of directors of a netwok, whose leading show for more than a decade, was drastically dropping in marketable rating, I would demand lengthy hiatus to rewrite and refilm any episodes. I would be more than happy to extend the season by months, if necessary, to correct the retcon of everything, while insisting on an actual story that unifies rather than polarizes 15 years.  In the final year of a 15 year run, Supernatural series finale episodes should have quadrupled with old viewers returning for nostalgia.

But would Jared or Jensen want to do this?  It would require months more of their time and might affect other project.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

But would Jared or Jensen want to do this?  It would require months more of their time and might affect other project.

I don't know, as I don't know them or their schedules and preferences. But, a 15 year commitment with stellar performances of great characters should end honorably with good story telling.

A legacy of "wow" as opposed to "oh, yeah, that show" looks better on a resume.

I was just being a little glib and a little hopeful. The ratings are sad.

10 minutes ago, Shannonsspirit said:

I don't know, as I don't know them or their schedules and preferences. But, a 15 year commitment with stellar performances of great characters should end honorably with good story telling.

A legacy of "wow" as opposed to "oh, yeah, that show" looks better on a resume.

I was just being a little glib and a little hopeful. The ratings are sad.

Yes. So is the assumption that their audience is the Riverdale crowd and that the audience preferred Just Jack to Dean and Sam. That the audience wanted Dean's storyline dropped like it's nothing to show off sparkly young Jack for no reason other than oooo ahhhhhh he's young like Archie and the gang. Let's create some young gang drama for him and dump this boring mytharc that was tied to 2 seasons of character arc because the young kids are more interesting.

Rating drop. 

That line is so illuminating. It tells me that they are not just mediocre storytellers and the nepotism duo just can't be bothered to watch the show and learn canon. This tells me that Supernatural was destroyed by show running rot from within just like Sleepy Hollow. Somebody that was too incompetent to be in power was and they decided that Jack sho yi kd be the storytelling center because their audience was the Riverdale crowd and they just threw away the previous canon, mytharc and character arcs and went for it... and when you are married to the executive producer you get your way.

Is this quote of hers a panel quote or is it in writing somewhere. Do I have to suffer through her word mush to hear it or can I read it somewhere?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Viewers under 1mil for a first run episode. 

Final-Bcast-2020-Jan-23-THU.png

I knew it would happen this season. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long with the "story" they've been telling. I believe it will go even lower as the season goes on. So sad for the cast/production crew. And as @gonzosgirrl said, Dabb can suck it!!! On another note, I see that the show is not scheduled for Feb. 6th. Does anyone know if that is a one/two week break or if it is going to be until they switch days in, I believe, March.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, FlickChick said:

I knew it would happen this season. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long with the "story" they've been telling. I believe it will go even lower as the season goes on. So sad for the cast/production crew. And as @gonzosgirrl said, Dabb can suck it!!! On another note, I see that the show is not scheduled for Feb. 6th. Does anyone know if that is a one/two week break or if it is going to be until they switch days in, I believe, March.

After this week the show will go on a six week break and resume on March 16th. Then it will air through almost consistently to its mid-May Finale with only one break on Easter Monday, I think.  

Still unsure if they will be doing a retrospective before the Finale. Arrow gets one. It would be silly if they didn`t do one for SPN. Then again, with the current writers, they might even screw this up.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

No adjustment in the finals for The Gambler

I don't think the network cares about the ratings since the show is ending this season. Otherwise, they wouldn't have them taking off the "sweeps month" of February and moving them to a different day in the middle of the final season. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I don't think the network cares about the ratings since the show is ending this season. Otherwise, they wouldn't have them taking off the "sweeps month" of February and moving them to a different day in the middle of the final season. 

I don`t think the CW cares about traditional ratings for any of their shows anymore. Otherwise, they wouldn`t go on renewal sprees for all of them. In a way, it`s the safest network to watch because almost anything will get to at least 4-5 Seasons now. And get ample warning that a particular Season will be the last. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, FlickChick said:

It does seem like they are actually trying to get people not to watch it. I hate it when networks treat shows like that in their final seasons.

16 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I know the ratings are pointless at this point.  I think it's just habit now.

Well, even I would like them to stay above 1 million viewers just so Jensen can know that his hard work will have some kind of a small pay-off. 

Under a million has got to be embarrassing for all of them, IMO-especially in this last season which should have been so much better than it's turning out to be. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, PinkChicken said:

or arguably it shouldve been better since theres so many more people at home rn

Not WRT this show in particular, but there was a speculation/hope from the industry I read a few days ago that wondered/anticipated ratings for network and cable - which have been on a steady decline for years - might go up due to everyone being at home.

It's hard to say. They might, or everyone might stick to the streaming services they've been gravitating to anyway and boost those numbers more.

As for SPN in particular, with or without a pandemic, viewers have been tuning out this last year.