Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Monarch Douglas Bank

• Start Topic

This is not really a "...Spader read the phone book..." or a "...Red..." thread(s) sitch, but here goes: I am going to need for the amount of lines said by Spader w/his head cocked to the side to decrease. Immediately. This is 1 of my shows. But that's going to be a deal breaker. I'm starting to have CSI:Miami Caruso flashbacks, and I don't like it. That level of stupid was necessary on that show, but I will not tolerate it on this 1. Watched Miami for the snark. I watch The Blacklist for Spader and the fun. And that's not fun. Just a lazy, and distracting acting choice.

But loved all the interactions between Lizzie and Ressler this ep. Especially the 1 at the end. This was better than the season premiere. Also loving a wig-less Lizzie. Poor sad Red. I'll be his friend.

• Love 1

Lizzie's new hair somehow makes her look a bit smarter.    

I really mostly watch for the moment in each show where Red casually kills someone like he is squashing a bug.

wtf has Mary Louise done to her face, if I didn't know she was on the show this season I would not have known her.

• Love 2

They could replace Megan Boone with a golden retriever. Red can talk to it, the dog will cock it's head and go "aru?" Then Red will explain the thought and the retriever will wag its tail.

I thought the exchange on the bench was great. Blowing on his face was a nice touch. Great shot of Coney too.

Wound care mobile triage, sponsored by Tampax?

• Love 17

So, any bets on the "impressive addition" being the Mossad agent?

Red has managed to plant someone more competent than anyone in the FBI on to an FBI task force.  So, any bets on how long until Lizzie kills her - unintentionally of course.

• Love 3

That FBI traitor or whoever he was in the sound booth, must be a lightweight.  Considering how tiny Lizzie/Megan Boone is, and the fact he caught her off guard, his punch should of, if not knocked her out, knocked her to the floor.  But, nope, she only bounces against the wall, and is able to fight him back with ease.  He's clearly not a brawler.

So, if I got this correctly, the entire bank job was all Red, because he needed Berlin's money to get his wife back.  Lizzie finds out, freezes the accounts, so Red's basically like "Fine, I'll try still, and if I die, I die!"  So, of course, Lizzie folds at the end.  Man, I remember when they were trying to sell this relationship as something similar to Hannibal Lector and Clarice Starling.  But that would be an insult to Clarice.  This is just a battle between an improbable genius and a child, pretty much.

I felt like James Spader and Peter Storemare just decided to see how much they could camp up their big park bench scene.  Which, judging from the results, quite a bit.  I'm not complaining; that was entertaining as hell.

Ha!  The Mossad agent is a mole for Reddington!  That is awesome!  Red clearly knows the FBI is shit and Lizzie is Lizzie, so he's getting someone competent in there, before everything goes to hell.  That alone, makes me like her better then almost everyone else.

• Love 4

I'm not sure Spader can stop the side head thing, he did it with Denny (Boston Legal)  too.  It's just gotten more pronounced.  That and the lip purse.  Blowing in the guys face was kind of genius and weird. But weirder still?  The evil, rasping,  whispering  of Keeeeaaaaaneeee.  WHO IS THIS GIRL?  And if she's his daughter why the hell isn't she smarter?  Ha.

• Love 4

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman was watching me as I watched this episode and at the end he said "Jesus H. Christ, I think you've got a hard-on!" I love this show, unashamedly and despite all its faults. Megan Boone is rocking that short hair and for the first few minutes I was wondering who that hottie was who had been recast as the female lead.

I liked this episode in particular for its departure from the formula. This episode was a much better chase than the usual bad guys are ten steps ahead and only Reddington's advice will save us plot.

There was some good music played when MLP was re-united with Reddington. However, I would have given actual money for that song to be "Little Boxes" instead.

Ressler is a considerate drug addict at least. He shares his pain pills with some random woman he met five minutes ago and he considers not taking them despite Lizzie starting to fill in the blanks.

Mossad can be bought? Bull to the shit!

Laugh line of the night goes to Aram: "The coffee maker is still working!" That is a silver lining if there ever was one and I'm not sure why everyone didn't appreciate it more.

• Love 2

So the photographic memory lady was carrying the only copy of all the accounts and transactions and whatnot? No backup? Okay. It's not like a person can get sick with pneumonia and die, or slip in the shower and die, or simply lose this photographic memory. Do scientists really know that it's impossible to lose it? Is it really something that can be known?

So, if I got this correctly, the entire bank job was all Red, because he needed Berlin's money to get his wife back.  Lizzie finds out, freezes the accounts, so Red's basically like "Fine, I'll try still, and if I die, I die!"  So, of course, Lizzie folds at the end.

I thought at first that Red was giving Berlin accounts funded with his, Red's, own money after he lost access to Berlin's due to Lizzie's heroics. That would have had a hint of romantic sacrifice, if you will. It would be stupid for Red go there without a plan. Come to think of it, Red could have simply tricked Berlin. I mean, how would Berlin (or his henchman) know? He shows up at the rendezvous point, gets some numbers that Red claims are accounts and passcodes, punches them in and sees more numbers with dollar signs in front of them. Yeah, that all proves he got his money back.

And if she's his daughter why the hell isn't she smarter?

And the nature vs nurture debate continues...

• Love 3
And if she's his daughter why the hell isn't she smarter?

And the nature vs nurture debate continues...

Didn't Wiggie say that his daughter was also in witness protection and that they had lost track of her 7 years ago ? And that her name is Jennifer ?  If that's the case, then Wiggie can't be his daughter.

• Love 1

They could replace Megan Boone with a golden retriever. Red can talk to it, the dog will cock it's head and go "aru?" Then Red will explain the thought and the retriever will wag its tail.

I thought the exchange on the bench was great. Blowing on his face was a nice touch. Great shot of Coney too.

So happy I wasn't drinking coffee at the moment I read this.  Put glasses on my daughter's Golden, and she would be much more impressive than this actress.  

• Love 2

Didn't Wiggie say that his daughter was also in witness protection and that they had lost track of her 7 years ago ? And that her name is Jennifer ?  If that's the case, then Wiggie can't be his daughter.

Well, not that daughter, anyway. But doesn't there have to have been more than one, and more than one wife? I can see him lying about his family being dead to keep his enemies from looking for them in witness protection, but didn't he tell Lizzie they were dead? He says he's never lied to her.

• Love 1

I was pleasantly surprised we weren't subjected to entire months of "I have your wife, MUAH HAH HAH." Then again, I guess she didn't have that many body parts to spare.

Kind of disappointed Peter Stormare is such a caricature -- he had more nuance on "Prison Break." Maybe it's the over-the-top fake accent.

Kind of disappointed Peter Stormare is such a caricature -- he had more nuance on "Prison Break." Maybe it's the over-the-top fake accent.

Isn't that his real accent? He's Swedish.

Edited by kariyaki

The addition of Samar to the regular cast (if that's what this is - fingers crossed) is great! She is an interesting character and a terrific actress. I loved how she just smiled when Cooper asked her what she wanted.

I thought is was a weird choice to keep Mary Louise Parker in the blindfold for the whole return scene. It couldn't have been to protect her from knowing her kidnappers' faces, because she already had seen them a bunch of times. It seems like the show missed a real opportunity there - they had an actress who could go toe to toe with Spader and they just waste the moment, and what a moment! Red's emotion there was very deep and touching, but the blindfold kind of threw me off.

I wish that Lizzie would shut her mouth. I swear, it is hanging open almost all the time. She reminds me of Alexander on Project Runway.

• Love 4

And they could save on the Dollar Store wig budget.

"So the photographic memory lady was carrying the only copy of all the accounts and transactions and whatnot? No backup? Okay. It's not like a person can get sick with pneumonia and die, or slip in the shower and die, or simply lose this photographic memory. Do scientists really know that it's impossible to lose it? Is it really something that can be known?"

Thank you, shura!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was stunned that The Formula was one woman with an untold amount of power over the institution.  I understand that an evil bank needs to be fairly bulletproof but humans?  Not bulletproof.  One aneurysm and the information is gone for good.  Or, as shown in the episode, a bullet in the gut.  Why did she run out anyway?  If I had the valuable brain, I'd be hiding under the table until the shooting stops.

Some of my favourite Season 1 episodes were the ones where Red and Ressler went undercover as a team, and I wish there was more of that.  I'm fine with taking Ressler and his drug problem darkside.  Are writers unaware that people can actually use prescribed meds purely for pain relief and then wean off?  Not everyone develops an addiction even if their injury comes with a side serving of emotional trauma.  I liked Diego as Mike on season 1 of Homeland (the only season I watched because I couldn't stand Brody) so I want better things for him than being Keen's sidekick/love interest.

I was hoping Red might outsmart Berlin in the end, but I guess the writers want to keep that arc going.  I enjoyed Spader's performance throughout this episode from showing up on the train looking mildly surprised that Liz and Ressler didn't see the double-cross coming, to blowing in Berlin's face when the guy crowded him, to the way he kind of leaned towards his ex like he was tempted to touch her or say something he knew she didn't want to hear.  The actor who plays Dembe really sells it too with an absolute minimum of lines.  He inhabits the character, oozing menace or benign helpfulness as required.

I'm not sure yet about Red's new mole.  Isn't she the same Mossad agent who had a helicopter attack a hotel full of civilians in downtown Washington?  No-one in Homeland Security is interested in following that up?

Someone on the "How to Get Away With Murder" thread, in which those with knowledge of the law were justifiably peeved at the inaccuracies, mentioned that he would never have to worry about this because network television wouldn't make a show about accountants.

This was almost that.  He should come on over and hate watch with us.

This is on my DVR only because VOD doesn't let me fast-forward to the Spader scenes.  And I agree with micat -- why bring  ML Parker on and prevent her from doing any scenes with JS?  This show.

• Love 1

I hate Lizzie, but after this episode, I'm not sure if I hate her because she is a whiny, naggy bitch who can never manage to say "please" or "thank you" to the man that is normally saving her bacon, or if its because she is a bad actress who can't give any nuanced subtlety to her character.  She is just so cookie cutter annoying in her "badass female cop" routine.  She is always acting like she is running shit, and she is the most junior agent there, and maybe that could work if you could sense some deep seated fear of failure from her, but I always get the impression that she has totally forgotten that the only reason she is on an "elite task force" is pretty much because of Redd.  The only reason anyone pays attention to her is because of Redd.

• Love 3

I'm exasperated with Megan Boone but it's hardly her fault anymore.  They have pretty much stuck her in every situation where she is asked to be something she is not.  She's horribly cast and that's their fault.

Look younger! = wear a terrible wig and get skewered for it for the entire first season.

Be Smart! = given lines of "Wut?"  "I don't understand!"

Be Badass! = She's small.  And her body is soft as shown when walking around in her underwear.

Be Hot! = She's pretty.  But not stereotypically hot.

Be compelling against James Spader! = She's not a great actress.  She has limited facial expressions.  She has no sense of dialogue timing.

Pretty much everything her character has needed to be is unable to be fulfilled by this actress.  To watch her fight against men is just cringeworthy.  I could knock her down.  Eye roll. 

I think she will finally be written out in some great arc that completes by the end of the season and we'll go forward with the new Mossod woman or maybe another woman who gets cast to go toe to toe with Spader.  I mean if they can kill off Carter/Taraji on POI, they can certainly get rid of Wiggy.

This episode pretty much showed yet another side of her inadequacies.  We're supposed to believe she can be that physical against a man getting thrown around in a room?  Child please.   She's not big enough or strong enough and since it's never been established she has secret ninja training, I don't believe she can room toss a young tween that is her size and weight, let alone a full grown man. 

• Love 3
I mean if they can kill off Carter/Taraji on POI, they can certainly get rid of Wiggy.

Yeah, you would think. The problem is that they got rid of Carter/Taraji to replace her with an inexplicable producer's darling who keeps getting high-profile roles despite the fact that not a lot of people seem to be interested in watching her. This show already has one.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Yeah, you would think. The problem is that they got rid of Carter/Taraji to replace her with an inexplicable producer's darling who keeps getting high-profile roles despite the fact that not a lot of people seem to be interested in watching her. This show already has one.

Good point.  I don't have high hopes for POI...I love it but I think it's gone too cerebral for the mainstream.  Carter got to go out on a high which is some consolation.

In contrast this show could use some complexity and layering.  I like the continuous introduction of new characters so that maybe some will stick and be relevant later.  If it was actually premeditated all the better. /snark

The only reason anyone pays attention to her is because of Redd.

How true, and how very, very sad. I haven't thought of this until now, but seriously, is there anyone at all who is talking or paying any attention to Lizzie unless they have something to do with Red? I can't think of anyone. Even her dog ignores her because, naturally, the dog doesn't give a crap about Red. You'd think decent writers could write some complexity and layering around that.

• Love 1

My daughter's Golden Retriever has a greater range of facial expressions than this girl.  She can show curiosity, happiness, concern, anger, uncertainty -- all completely readable on her doggy face. I just don't know Megan Boone got a leading role opposite James Spader, of all people, an actor who dwarfs almost any other around him.  She might hold up in a light comedy, although even then being able to express more than two emotions is undoubtedly an asset.  Not sure she actually has two in her repertoire, come to think of it.  

• Love 1

I think she will finally be written out in some great arc that completes by the end of the season and we'll go forward with the new Mossod woman or maybe another woman who gets cast to go toe to toe with Spader.  I mean if they can kill off Carter/Taraji on POI, they can certainly get rid of Wiggy.

One can only hope.

And, to the above poster, I think the current hair-do is, again, a wig.

Yawn. Too little Red, too little action, too much posturing, too little storytelling, too little payoff...where do I begin?

Well, perhaps I ought to say that maybe this show should fire everyone except James Spader and Amir Arison...man, the way Arison plays Aram, he'd definitely hold up nicely as the energetic snide-comment guy against the cool, collected, "what are you talking about?" snarkfest that is Red. Ah, if only a man can dream.

Once again, Aram is a spotlight, and only because he delivered the "coffee maker's working" line so earnestly that I need to lobby that he gets a bigger role.

Don't get the whole bank job plot, really...it just seemed rather disjointed. I also wonder why Red had to keep the FBI in the dark about what he was doing- they are working together, right? Surely Red could have set things up so that Berlin meets him, hands back his wife and Red hands him over to the FBI...then his problem will be solved, no? Of course, then we get no season so maybe not...

Oh, and maybe this will be unpopular but I might have liked the plot better if Mrs. Reddington had died...at first it looked like Berlin handed back the wife and drugged her so that she'd die as she was handed off to Red, if only because of that toothy grin of his. It would have been a perfect moment of oneupmanship, and would at least make Berlin's threat to Red seem credible. Again, as I said about the premiere, I have a hard time believing the man I'm seeing is Berlin if he is so resoundingly gullible and aloof- if Berlin is a real, effective criminal mastermind, he's got to know a thing or two about playing his cards right and, in this episode, Berlin was played so badly you wonder how he schemed his way to the top in the first place.

Which brings me to what I believe is this show's ultimate problem, and that's the fact that Red's enemies have largely been faceless, and that means I don't know enough about them to care about whether or not they'll "beat" Red. All we get are vague references to "a war" and we get constantly told that "so-and-so is bad news" but we hardly see on screen any evidence that the threat is credible. In regards to Berlin, the only thing we know about the guy is that he has a network of shadowy people who have spent some time cooking up a plan to kidnap Red's wife to retaliate for the murder of his daughter. Okay...that's a start and it would make a nice storyline for a "Villain Of The Week" but there's hardly enough meat there to sustain the diet of a "Big Bad" storyline. I'd like to think Berlin has some grander goals, such as striking at Red because he's worried that now that Red has the FBI's help his own empire is danger, or because Berlin is angling to overthrow the world order and Red is trying to stop that or because Berlin wants a piece of cheese that Red owns...something that gives me the idea that their battle will be long and hard.

The other part of that equation is that we don't know enough about Berlin's empire or the man himself to really qualify him as a worthy threat. All we really know about him is that he cackles, makes creepy threats, takes ice baths, has a hook for hand and employs people that just sit around waiting for him to bark orders at them. Yup, real credible threat there. Why should I believe that Berlin has the capability to take down Red's empire? Because Red said so? Couldn't the show establish that he's a rival "concierge", or that his stable of comic book shops serve as a front for the largest enterprise on the black market, or that he's the head of some collective of politicians that can make life difficult for Red and the FBI? I mean, I get that the show wants to maintain a sense of mystery surrounding Berlin and the other enemies that Red faces, but it hasn't done enough to make me really care about whether or not they'll take down Red.

It's a basic principle, really- if I'm to care about someone succeeding or failing, I need to know who they are and just how powerful they are or could be. Berlin, sadly, doesn't even come close to passing that test.

• Love 2

Another thing - Red asks Lizzie at the end how she knew that Berlin's money was at Monarch Douglas, and says she must have a secret santa source feeding her info. Does she? Have we seen any evidence of that? I thought Lizzie just guessed that Berlin's money was there, and Red said the Formula lady wouldn't know names.

I'm not sure Spader can stop the side head thing, he did it with Denny (Boston Legal)  too.  It's just gotten more pronounced.  That and the lip purse.  Blowing in the guys face was kind of genius and weird. But weirder still?  The evil, rasping,  whispering  of Keeeeaaaaaneeee.  WHO IS THIS GIRL?  And if she's his daughter why the hell isn't she smarter?  Ha.

I have never seen Boston Legal. I checked out on The Practice about the time Dylan McDermott did. I remember the lip purse, but never the head thing.

Ummm, I noticed it in "Pretty In Pink", when I watched it last weekend.

Not sure anything 'can' be done about it. I think it may be an innate part of his personality.

Oh no. Now I'm going to be looking for it in everything he's ever done, or will do. Dammit 2 hell man. I don't want it to be a deal breaker, but... I tend to be 1 of those folks, who picks up on an actors, sometimes "innate thing", and then it drives me bat shit crazy. Till I can no longer look at them. I can't watch Renee Zelweger because of the way she speaks out of the side of her mouth. I had to stop watching Charmed b/c Alyssa Milano stopped moving her teeth out of the way to speak (well, and the fact that Kaley Cuoco is a huge ball of suck-itude). I really don't want The Blacklist to be next.

I thought is was a weird choice to keep Mary Louise Parker in the blindfold for the whole return scene. It couldn't have been to protect her from knowing her kidnappers' faces, because she already had seen them a bunch of times. It seems like the show missed a real opportunity there - they had an actress who could go toe to toe with Spader and they just waste the moment, and what a moment! Red's emotion there was very deep and touching, but the blindfold kind of threw me off.

Good point. Completely missed opportunity. I think it would have been really great to see 2 good actors go at it. Then again maybe the director was worried MLP's face might not move. Emoting optional.

Another thing - Red asks Lizzie at the end how she knew that Berlin's money was at Monarch Douglas, and says she must have a secret santa source feeding her info. Does she? Have we seen any evidence of that? I thought Lizzie just guessed that Berlin's money was there, and Red said the Formula lady wouldn't know names.

Good point. I guess it's supposed to be a hint at the Mossad agent but I agree, that bit was pointless. I really don't think this show knows anything about how to develop a character. I might not have minded that in Season One but now I want to see these characters grow out their wings.

• Love 1

]My daughter's Golden Retriever has a greater range of facial expressions than this girl.  She can show curiosity, happiness, concern, anger, uncertainty -- all completely readable on her doggy face.

If no dogs are available,

Replace Red's fedora with a giant yellow sombrero, add monkey.

• Love 4

Can anyone confirm, her hair looked real, we could see her scalp this time, the "wig" is dead?

Anyway I could also believe the Mossad woman could manhandle a man, but Lizzie? c'mon! 

I also guessing they copied Ziva from NCIS and put her in this show. 

Can anyone confirm, her hair looked real, we could see her scalp this time, the "wig" is dead?

Yeah, that was the point of the life-affirming haircut last week, Megan Boone's hair is long enough for them now, so the wig people are now unemployed.

The Mossad chick made me think of Ziva too.

Megan's hair is adorable and she's doing a great job in season 2!   Still want more and more and more Ressler!  Hope he isn't going to become an oxy addict.   I really want to see more Red/Ressler moments this season.  They're golden together.  I kind of also wish that all the hype over Lizzie possibly being Reds daughter would actually be Ressler turning out to somehow be Red's long lost son instead.  Of course I also am digging the Ressler/Lizzie interaction.  She studies him with those knowing eyes like she can see right through him.  It's only a matter of time before she realizes he's struggling with pills.  Once his little secret is discovered, I can totally see Lizzie and/or Red swooping in and dragging his ass off in the private jet to some swanky rehab place in the Swiss Alps.  

Yeah, it's kind of a cliché. Annul your marriage, keep your homicidal ex-not-husband's fake last name, get a haircut.

and this haircut is cute! Not like bad breakup hair at all! It's like she *started* the show with bad breakup hair.

• Love 1

Megan's hair is adorable and she's doing a great job in season 2!   Still want more and more and more Ressler!  Hope he isn't going to become an oxy addict.   I really want to see more Red/Ressler moments this season.  They're golden together.  I kind of also wish that all the hype over Lizzie possibly being Reds daughter would actually be Ressler turning out to somehow be Red's long lost son instead.  Of course I also am digging the Ressler/Lizzie interaction.  She studies him with those knowing eyes like she can see right through him.  It's only a matter of time before she realizes he's struggling with pills.  Once his little secret is discovered, I can totally see Lizzie and/or Red swooping in and dragging his ass off in the private jet to some swanky rehab place in the Swiss Alps.  

If Lizzie figures it out, she is going to nag Ressler to death.  

Red being Red again, finally. Reckless, ruthless, using arising opportunities. The Red, we all love :) Not least thanks to James Spader who does a terrific job portraying convincingly the concierge of crime as well as a caring human being. In contrast to Berlin, who obviously is succumbing to the disease revenge.

Then Lizzie, still behaving immature when she is emotionally involved. She neither reported Ressler’s failure nor did she hesitate a second to want to sacrifice Red’s wife with the lame explanation of being then be able to stop Berlin. As if. There was the selfish teenage girl again who didn’t get it her way and was just mad about it. Reminds me of the first episode this season when Red asked for her immediate help to rescue his wife. Instead of leaving at once, no, 12 year old Lizzie insisted on getting an information from Red at first before she was willing (was she?) to go and look for his wife.

The Mossad agent seems to be a good complement to the team, Red wise and getting things done wise. In striking contrast to Lizzie, who mostly has the loser card. Hope TPTB will continue to present Samar Navab as this competent agent. Urgently needed with an FBI team whose member tends to be incompetent. With Aram as an exception of course:)

Speaking of, Ressler’s addiction will cause some severe damage sooner or later. You can downright foresee some kind of irreversible drama.

Edited by Tony Hill
Red clearly knows the FBI is shit and Lizzie is Lizzie, so he's getting someone competent in there, before everything goes to hell.

Duh, thank you for that (slapping head). I was trying to figure out why Red needs a mole in a group that basically tells him whatever he wants to know. He needs it because said group is comprised of idiots, of course.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I thought Megan Boone's new look both made her more attractive AND improved her acting. I detected some emotion here and there that I don't recall seeing last season.

Isn't she the same Mossad agent who had a helicopter attack a hotel full of civilians in downtown Washington?  No-one in Homeland Security is interested in following that up?

This just cracks me up. Sure, the woman in plain sight in that helicopter is now in the FBI. Awesome.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2

I'm going to be looking for it in everything he's ever done

Uh oh, cuz I'm pretty sure he did it in Sex, Lies and Videotape in 1989 when he first gets behind the camera;  but didn't go back and look for it on Youtube. 

I wouldn't let it drive me crazy because as an actor, it's supposed to mean he's gathering his thoughts, going to say something deep and meaningful, pondering first. 

But I'd bet it's also something he does as a person because I don't remember ever seeing him not do it - so if it's organic to him, it's allright huh? 

Hope that works for you!  :)

Edited by Jlina
  • Love 1

I'm having trouble understanding Berlin's deal too. I can see the guy (what we've been shown) being dangerous in a -thug -who can physically damage you if he gets his hands on you-kind of way. I don't see what we've seen as an effective puppet master kind of guy. How does he get people to work for him? How does he run his empire? How is it that somebody smarter hasn't assassinated him and taken his empire? I thought it was weird for a contracted flunky (since he was talking about his fee) to fulfill his contract for a smaller sum because Berlin dunked him in the ice bath and broke his nose. Again that works in the moment and he has power in a fight, hands on. But could he harm the guy less directly? He slaughtered his own guys after snatching Red's ex. I don't know he just doesn't give me the vibe of ORGANIZED in organized crime. You know what I mean? And if he ISN'T powerful in the indirect way then is he really a threat to Red?

• Love 1