Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Berlanti's comments on a Supergirl/Flash/Arrow crossover:

“I personally never rule anything out,” he continued. “I would be excited by it. But a lot of things would have to go right, people would have to say yes, for that to happen.” What’s more, to stand any chance of happening this TV season, “It would have to be figured out in the next month or so.”

I wouldn't expect anything this season. Next season I'm hopeful about.

Another article that covers the crossover possibility, as well as the evolution of the show:

(Kreisberg): We were blessed with The Flash, which came out of the gate fully formed in a way that Arrow didn’t. Arrow took awhile to find itself. Arrow needed Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) which it didn’t have early on, and it had voiceover, which it didn’t need. Whereas The Flash came out like The Flash — you can watch the pilot and the finale back to back and it’s the same show. Supergirl was one of those shows that had a learning curve on how to make it and how to tell the stories and the audience’s part on how to watch it.”

Laura Vandervoort will play a recurring villain in Supergirl

CBS’ new Supergirl series has just cast Laura Vandervoort as the recurring villain Indigo on the series. Vandervoort played Superman’s cousin Kara on Smallville; she joins Helen Slater, who played Supergirl in the 1984 movie, as well as Melissa Benoist, who’s the person actually playing Supergirl on the current series.

It’s just another fun nod from the show that chose Slater to play Kara Zor-El’s adoptive mother Eliza Danvers and The Adventures of Lois & Clark’s Dean Cain as her husband Jeremiah.

Indigo is indeed a character from the comics, if you were wondering. Here’s how the press release describes her:

A living, strong-willed supercomputer that was sentenced to Fort Rozz after turning against the people of Krypton. Now on Earth, Indigo will let nothing stand in her way.

It was only a matter of time, but I'm glad that it isn't just a cameo, but a recurring role.

Edited by AzureOwl
  • Love 1

All those people who were sentenced to Fort Rozz and came out even more determined to destroy Krypton and anyone from it make me think that the Krypton people should have spent more time on trying to rehabilitate rather than punishl.

Yes! Now we just need a cast member from Superman Returns and Man of Steel.

Well, if we eventually get the Flarrow crossover they could always bring along The Atom,

I guess that answers the question of how they're going to have 13 year old Clark/Kal on the show.

Indeed.

I stopped about two paragraphs in when the author complained about too much girl power. So the solution to that is to bring in a character who can't do anything on his own show without a number of pep talks from all of his 'daddies'.

I'm on the verge of dumping both of these shows. The flash because of how badly women are written, and Supergirl because women don't just come in one colour. I gave them a break having the main women be all white but 15 episodes in and there have been no women of colour at all, not good enough.

The anti-alien senator who got kidnapped was a woman of color. 

(edited)

Comic book cover the poster is based on. At least this one has the arms and legs in the right position! I hope there are some better promo photos coming later, though.

The cast and producers are scheduled for Supergirl's Paleyfest panel:

March 13

SUPERGIRL
7:00 pm

With Melissa Benoist, Calista Flockhart, Chyler Leigh, Mehcad Brooks, David Harewood, Jeremy Jordan, Greg Berlanti, Ali Adler, Andrew Kreisberg Moderator: Leanne Aguilera, Entertainment Tonight

Edited by Trini

A couple of write-ups of the Paleyfest panel:

Deadline:

Much of the discussion centered on feminism, particularly on the impact of having a female superhero on television in a male-dominated field. Leigh said that’s what motivated her to take on Supergirl 3the Alex Danvers role. “I have two girls, and right before taking this job my husband was really challenging me in the sense of like ‘think about what this opportunity is and think about what it means to you and look at our little girls and if you don’t have a resounding yes [about being on Supergirl] then you’re crazy. ...

EW: (with some *spoilers* about the Flash crossover)

For her part, Benoist’s on-screener[sic] sister Chyler Leigh had a pretty definitive answer: “I love ‘em, but they’re not good enough for her,” the Grey’s Anatomy alum said to hearty applause, later explaining that the bond between Alex and Kara is very similar to what the actresses share in real life. “Short of meeting my husband, meeting Melissa was probably the most powerful relationship I’ve ever felt,” Leigh said.

Another Paleyfest report, but focused on the Flash crossover; some *spoilers*.

“It is the most joyous occasion to have these two superheroes together in the same place, at the same time, working together,” star Melissa Benoist effuses. “They are both so happy with their powers and what they get to do and how they get to help people, that it’s kind of infectious and exciting and upbeat and happy.”

EW article about the Supergirl/Flash crossover; with new photos. Also talks a bit about how the different universes connect.

Both lost parents at a young age, but they’re fun-loving, geeky and they haven’t let their pasts dim the light inside them. “What’s so wonderful about these two characters in particular is that they’re so joyful and happy to be heroes,” Benoist says. “There’s this mutual understanding, respect, and excitement that they found each other.”

David Harewood on his role as Henshaw/J'onn J'onzz.

But as actor David Harewood told Bleeding Cool at PaleyFest last week, the switch from Hank to J’onn took him by surprise.

“I didn’t know [initially],” he said. “I did the pilot as Hank Henshaw, thinking I might be a bit of a baddie.” When the pilot was complete, he went on another job and received a call from his agent informing him the part was being changed.

Behind the Scenes article and photo gallery of the crossover from Variety.

She needs all the help she can get in tackling Silver Banshee and Livewire, who are the perfect foils to face off with the new Super Friends, according to Kreisberg. “We’ve been slowly building towards Silver Banshee, introducing Siobhan and getting to know her over these last few episodes, and it’s kind of interesting because we haven’t really done that before on any of the shows, to introduce a character and slowly watch them turn into a villain — so that felt like we were challenging ourselves in doing something new and different,” he explains. “And we’ve been wanting to bring back Livewire ever since her first appearance, she really felt like the first villain we did that we got right. Once we came upon the idea of having two heroes in the episode, the idea of two villains quickly became a part of it.”

Producer post-mortems of the crossover (versions of the same interview):

TV Line,

If Cat was so easily able to decipher that Barry is The Flash, then how can she still be in the dark about her assistant’s secret identity? “There’s a number of people that assume that she does know and just doesn’t say anything,” Berlanti notes. “Both are safe bets. We haven’t firmed up if and when we [will] clarify that point. I think it’s kind of enjoyable to appreciate the show both ways.”

Deadline,

DEADLINE: ... what can we expect for the season finale April 18?
KREISBERG: We’ve got some amazing set pieces. We’ve got some amazing fights. We’ve got some incredibly emotional scenes. We’ve been telling one long story this season about how Kara Danvers becomes Supergirl.

She’s had her fits and her starts and she’s had her successes and her failures. In the finale you’re really going to see her truly be the best version of Supergirl that she can be...

IGN

Near the end of "Worlds Finest," we got a glimpse of Barry and Kara "racing" against each other, so to speak, but did Berlanti and Kreisberg ever actually sit down and have the conversation about which hero was the fastest? "Doesn't everyone have that conversation?" Berlanti said with a laugh. "Our visual effects and storyboard artists actually storyboarded it, as well, her flying against him running, and it just didn't feel right. I'm glad they did it as proof of concept that it wouldn't work... but it didn't have the same spirit and fun of an actual footrace."

Reviews/Recaps of the crossover:

io9 (with a bunch of gifs):

Superheroes! They are dark and vengeful and their lives are full of miserable carnage. Or carnivorous misery. I dunno. Point is, superheroes are existentially dismal and violent. So when Supergirl teamed up with the Flash, it was just an orgy of death and angst. Oh wait. No, it wasn’t.

Seriously, last night’s episode of Supergirl was the greatest thing ever. The only complaint I have is that it emphasized that the Flash was visiting from another universe—which means the two heroes can’t just cross over constantly, ...

Vulture:

Here's the ironic part: Supergirl titled its crossover episode with The Flash as "World's Finest" mere days after a blockbuster movie made Batman and Superman punch each other a lot. The whole thing reads as a friendly shot across the bow, a smirking way to say, "This is how you do a team-up."

Because holy crap.

TV Fanatic (has never seen The Flash):

Their banter was equal parts adorable and hilarious. Kara's confused face as Barry spouted off all the names of superheroes from his world was priceless (and I have to admit I didn't know who most of them were, either).

The trio of Kara, Winn, and Barry would make a great superhero team. Winn's excitement over having another geeky buddy was about equal to a kid getting an ice cream cone. Oh wait.

Den of Geek:

But I guess, I dunno...the whole thing was a little...safe? "World's Finest" absolutely continues the generally upward trend of Supergirl episodes since the midseason break. So while I had a really great time watching it (and people need to find an excuse to get Ms. Benoist and Mr. Gustin on screen together more often, superheroes or no superheroes), I don't think it was quite as strong as one like "Solitude" and it certainly didn't destroy me the way that "Falling" did (in a good way). ...

The Daily Beast:

“World’s Finest” kept the heart of Supergirl intact, and put on a show somehow brighter and more irrepressibly exuberant than usual. On the Monday after a weekend mercilessly dominated by Snyder’s hyper-violent, joyless vision of the DC Universe, the Fastest Man Alive and the Girl of Steel swooped in to remind us that it’s OK to have fun with superheroes. They saved the day. That’s what heroes do best.

Blastr:

Melissa Benoist’s Supergirl and Gustin’s Flash have always been somewhat similar in execution (Optimism! Quirkiness! Unrequited love!), and having them share the screen was just dynamite. No, the episode’s story wasn’t all that great on its own, but the chemistry carried this thing above and beyond.

Melissa Benoist’s Supergirl and Gustin’s Flash have always been somewhat similar in execution (Optimism! Quirkiness! Unrequited love!), and having them share the screen was just dynamite. No, the episode’s story wasn’t all that great on its own, but the chemistry carried this thing above and beyond.

That was the best thing about the episode. SG and The Flash just seemed so giddy working together and didn't immediately go into a competitive pissing contest on who has the more powerful superpower. Heh.

And Melissa Benoist getting giddy over ice cream, ha! Casting really hit a jackpot on her, and vice versa.

• Love 2

A negative review from SheKnows:

Now that Season 1 of Supergirl is coming to a close, we'd hope by now that the series would have kinks like plot, character story lines and overall aesthetics of the show ironed out. How does Supergirl production continue to overlook these huge details?

Washington Post short recap:

Who wins a race between Supergirl and The Flash?

Easy: CBS.

Superhero Hype detailed recap:

The Flash is my favorite superhero show on television right now, so bringing his Flashiness to Supergirl was just a delight. Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoit are possibly the two most adorable actors in the world, and their adorableness doesn’t bother me! Together, they could make a pile of kittens look like a pile of mud. They played off each other really well, and I hope for more crossovers.

The Mary Sue recap/review:

It was also amazing to see Barry in a mostly-female environment in his scenes with Supergirl, Livewire, and Silver Banshee. Honestly, I hope he takes this attitude of “handling things like women” back to his Central City with him to remind him that the women in his life don’t always need his protection or second-guessing. In any case, I love that Supergirl has so many female villains and that they’re being used well. I also love seeing Lucy Lane running the DEO!

Collider:

There was plenty here for fans of both Supergirl and The Flash, too — mainly, the chance to see these two superhero characters confiding in and understanding one another in a way they really can’t with their non-superheroed friends. The superhero-protagonist group therapy that happens whenever DC television shows cross over has got to be the best element of those episodes. We’ve seen it with Barry and Oliver, and now we see it with Barry and Kara. However, unlike the former example (and that blockbuster movie I keep mentioning), this episode proves that superhero team-ups don’t have to include a clash of values to be compelling.

IGN recap/review:

Instead of the usual "beatdown" introduction, Supergirl and the Flash went straight to being superfriends, which was refreshing. Not only did Barry Allan fit perfectly in Kara's world, but actors Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist had fantastic chemistry together onscreen. While the city's turnaround on Supergirl's Red K incident was a little sudden, overall, "Worlds Finest" was delightful.

Edited by Trini

TV.com 'conversational' review:

The execution of the villains was all weird. I mean, I like Livewire and her bitter snarkiness. I like Siobhan even if her origin story kind of makes out women who are willful and abrasive to be cursed by an ancient Irish evil ("Have you ever wondered why the women in our family are so unlikeable?"). But you're right, why is Barry throwing lightning at someone who is powered by lightning?

I think "Worlds Finest" was another episode that allowed Benoist to do something different, too. She's gotten to play J'onn playing Kara and she's gotten to play RK Kara, but here, she was just geeking the hell out over having a super partner, and it's the loosest I think we've seen Benoist all season. Even the stuff with Cat shifted a bit in tone and performance, and it was all very, very good. Even if the show isn't always keeping up with her (and Flockhart), Benoist is showing them that can really push Kara forward.

Alan Sepinwall/Hitfix:

Pretty much everything featuring the two heroes interacting was a blast. The rest of the episode was a mixed bag, as Supergirl has been for most of its first season.

LA Times:

The whole thing felt like a return to the primary-color Action Comic book days. No reeling bat with an ax to grind, or god-complex alien just trying to do right for humanity. This was about teamwork and being excited about doing good.

Many articles and reviews have compared the crossover to Batman v Superman; here's one writer that disagrees:

MTV.com

So, yes, tonally, the worlds Berlanti and Snyder have created couldn’t be more different, but as much as we want to compare the two, and suggest that one is better than the other, we just can’t. Yes, Supergirl and The Flash face adversity with positivity and teamwork, while Batman and Superman would rather smash things and pout, but everyone has their own coping mechanism.

Edited by Trini

So, yes, tonally, the worlds Berlanti and Snyder have created couldn’t be more different, but as much as we want to compare the two, and suggest that one is better than the other, we just can’t. Yes, Supergirl and The Flash face adversity with positivity and teamwork, while Batman and Superman would rather smash things and pout, but everyone has their own coping mechanism.

That writer is an idiot (entitled to his opinion, but an idiot). Yes we can suggest one is better than the other.

One represents a reasonably accurate picture of three quarter of a century of comic books. The spirit of them if not the actual details. Yes, the actual comic books have delved into grim-grim-dark-dark heroes fighting each other and being real bastards quite a few times--more and more in fact in the past 20 years than the 50+ before that all put together. But there was usually a groundswell of annoyance/resentment/extreme dislike whenever the comics did that, and they always wound up resetting them to the cooperative mode before long.

The other represents some asshole reading those grim-grim-dark-dark books and thinking they're the better, more popular, ideas. But then not only proceeding with that bad assumption, but then also making an almost totally incoherent version of it--ponderous, illogical, smug, and "fun" only if you like violence and not actual storytelling. 

So yes, one is better than the other. With all of the flaws the Supergirl and Flash TV shows eventually developed. All of the silly triangles, all of the round and round bullshit with certain kinds of stories, and characters occasionally acting like real ninnies, those flaws are tiny compared to BvS.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2