Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Even Nick Farrow's NAME sounds generic. 

There's also a vague possibility they're using a fake name to cover up that they're using a character they don't want us to know about yet.

• Love 1

I think it's definitely some sort of fake name masking another comics character, just by this description:

The son of a famous reporter, Nick is “looking to make a name for himself in the news world but the question of whether he can leave behind his former selfish and hedonistic ways will constantly arise. In hanging out with Kara, the hero in Nick might finally come out.” Hmm….

Now, I'd have to do research to figure out which comics character he could be, but the hero in Nick definitely sounds like he's some sort of character in the comics verse. 

Also, it sounds like we might get Lex Luthor at some point in the season, most likely near the end (I guess it also depends on how popular Lena becomes with the fans). I don't know if they'll pass up the chance to have a Lex cameo, with potential to become a recurring character in season 3 (if there is a season 3). 

(edited)

TBH, at first blush, this announcement of the addition of five new characters to the show gave me pause because at no point after the s1 finale did I ever think "Gee, what this show needs is a bigger cast!" I actually like that this show has a smaller cast, in comparison to many other shows, because (IMO) a smaller cast tends to lend itself to a better balance of screen time for each character. But, placed in the context of production moving to Vancouver from LA, then I see these characters more as replacements for characters the show is going to lose because of the production move. While it hasn't been confirmed one way or another, it's entirely possible that the show is losing Max Lord, Lucy Lane (I'll be really disappointed if we lose Lord and Lucy because I'd grown to like them.) and General Lane so they are going to have to fill those gaps. (Though, if the show is keeping all these characters and just adding five more then me no likey! That's serious cast bloat.)

I can't say any of the announced characters intrigue me, but I don't think a casting announcement from any show has ever intrigued me so that's par for the course. I find casting calls generic. It's broad sweeps of a character which tell me nothing of how it will turn out once brought to life by an actor, placed within the story, and filmed. I gotta see it play out. 

I expected a character like The Doctor to appear in season 2 only because we already knew they were going to be dealing with the Project Cadmus storyline, so no surprise here. If they cast a good actor this has the potential to be a really fun villain (assuming the character is supposed to be a villain).

As for Lena Luthor, well, I could do without anymore Luthors just because I think they've been overdone, but whatever. I'm happy to wait and see what they do with the character.

I'm also going to take an optimistic perspective with the Nick Farrow character. I'm not one for love triangles, but if whatever guy they cast as Nick Farrow has at least as much chemistry with Benoist as she did with Jenner or Gustin, then I'll happily take him -- no matter what his name is -- and James Olson can go away to stare longingly at his art boards. Plus, there's no reason it has to turn into a love triangle. I seem to recall that on Arrow the writers were lining up Oliver and Laurel (because 'duh', Green Arrow & Black Canary) but then they cast Felicity Smoak and all that went out the window. So I'm hoping that's what happens here. Like I said, don't care if the dudes name is Nick Farrow or John Doe just please save us from the vacuum of James.

As for the other characters: Meh. Don't care. Filler. Wait and see. Yadda.

I just hope whatever characters they're adding don't take screen time away from the relationships on the show that I've come to love. (Kara, Alex, and J'onn better be on my screen, writers, pleaseandthankyou.)

Oh, I almost forgot. The "Science Police"? Really? LMAO! I know this is a comic book based show, but, come on. The "SCIENCE POLICE"?!? I can't even type it without laughing. Please think of a better title for this organization, writers, because I can't take this seriously (and my silliness tolerance is pretty high). *giggles*Science Police? *lol* 

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, regularlyleaded said:

Oh, I almost forgot. The "Science Police"? Really? LMAO! I know this is a comic book based show, but, come on. The "SCIENCE POLICE"?!? I can't even type it without laughing. Please think of a better title for this organization, writers, because I can't take this seriously (and my silliness tolerance is pretty high). *giggles*Science Police? *lol* 

I'm surprised it's being introduced this early (although I guess it was actually created in some of the comics), but that was the longtime name of the police force in the Legion of Super Heroes comics, set in the 30th Century.  So I think of it as a highly honorable Easter Egg if nothing else.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I'm surprised it's being introduced this early (although I guess it was actually created in some of the comics), but that was the longtime name of the police force in the Legion of Super Heroes comics, set in the 30th Century.  So I think of it as a highly honorable Easter Egg if nothing else.

Ah, I suspected as much. The name sounded goofy enough to me that I thought it might have been a direct lift from somewhere in the comicverse, but still. It just sounds very silly to me. I can't help but envision a fictitious segment of the kids show "Bill Nye The Science Guy" where they fact check science while dressed in absurd science police uniforms, armed with beakers and test tubes. It makes me laugh.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Kromm said:

Even Nick Farrow's NAME sounds generic. 

I honestly don't get why most of us on this side of the keyboards have a Spidey-Sense about stuff like this, but the same information (the same generic names, the same plug by numbers character backstories) don't seem to EVER ring an alarm for people on the actual damn shows.

Could he wind up being great?  Sure. But I'm heading into it being massively skeptical just because I can't sense anything about the IDEA of him that the show needed, even if his name didn't also sound like it came from some "Cool Dude" character generation computer program.

tbh, I think the character is probably a "strong suggestion" from the CW. Their target demographic just goes nuts for the "Bad Boy reformed by his love for Good Girl" trope; just look at The Vampire Diaries. It sounds terrible to us, because we are (I assume!) over the age of 13, but the reality is that the CW thrives on that kind of crap. This character isn't meant for us. Love triangles are also pretty popular on the CW.

This is exactly what I was worried about when I read the show got moved to the CW.

While it hasn't been confirmed one way or another, it's entirely possible that the show is losing Max Lord, Lucy Lane (I'll be really disappointed if we lose Lord and Lucy because I'd grown to like them.) and General Lane so they are going to have to fill those gaps. (Though, if the show is keeping all these characters and just adding five more then me no likey! That's serious cast bloat.)

I doubt that the show is entirely dropping Max Lord or Lucy (or Cat), but I agree that they probably won't appear nearly as much as they did in S1, and these characters are supposed to fill the void. The Doctor is clearly the new Astra/Non(/General Lane), Lena is probably going to have a Lord-ish role merged with some shades of Lucy if they want to go the friends with Kara route, Snapper Carr is Cat.

imo the two outliers are Nick Farrow--though he might be a Siobhan/shades of Lucy type mashed up with love interest--and Maggie Sawyer. I can see where for world-building purposes they'd want a cop specializing in meta humans, but cynically, I also wonder if the CW "suggested" the show add a lesbian because they've been the biggest killer of lesbian characters this blood-soaked spring and The 100 ignited the firestorm, and so the network is now trying to be all like "We love the lesbians! No, REALLY!" Sawyer is probably the safest character on the show right now. ;)

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ah, I suspected as much. The name sounded goofy enough to me that I thought it might have been a direct lift from somewhere in the comicverse, but still. It just sounds very silly to me.

Yeah I believe the LoSH version was an creation of Siegel himself, so I doubt they will change it especially not for the CW.

There's also a vague possibility they're using a fake name to cover up that they're using a character they don't want us to know about yet.

The son of a famous reporter, Nick is “looking to make a name for himself in the news world but the question of whether he can leave behind his former selfish and hedonistic ways will constantly arise. In hanging out with Kara, the hero in Nick might finally come out.” Hmm…

The selfish and hedonistic reporter made me first think of Jack Ryder...but Creeper is more anti-hero than hero?  I guess they could maybe turn Kent V. Nelson into an reporter instead of a psychologist?  He was an jerk and a philanderer who had to learn to be a hero.  Wait a minute...what about Vic Sage?  I mean personality wise it doesn't quite fit (his personality flaw was more violence), but he was a reporter and didn't he have a big storyline about investigating Cadmus in the DCAU?

I'm not ready to completely give up on Peter Facinelli for Season 2.  I mean he still seemingly has no apparent announced projects that he is attached to (since his pilot was rejected), and he is still showing up to things like the giant Metropolis celebration this weekend and listed to appear at various comic/culture conventions around the world (sure he has other pop culture history like Twilight, but still he is not running from this kind of association and Supergirl is still one of his announced billings for these things).  His personal website has lots of Supergirl related material on it and he did retweet the S2 pick-up announcement. He is also single.  So I'm holding out hope that he will still put in at least a couple appearances to at least put some closure on the cliffhanger of what Max is going to do with the Omegahedron.

Edited by Xenith22
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

tbh, I think the character is probably a "strong suggestion" from the CW. Their target demographic just goes nuts for the "Bad Boy reformed by his love for Good Girl" trope;

And I think the actor could even be a "CW guy." Someone who is recognizable with the network's viewers. Someone like Chris Wood is who first comes to mind. He's available too now that Containment is done. 

I'm reserving judgement for Nick mostly because I actually think the male characters on this show were the weakest part of season one (Winn and James, not Hank so much) so I'm open to bringing in someone new (Although I had hoped they would go the Brainiac 5 route). I never really bought in to James or Winn as love interests for Kara, so if this Nick guy doesn't completely follow the "bad boy" trope and has good romantic chemistry with Melissa (something I found sorely lacking from the other two guys) then it may be okay. I at least understand the writers effort in possibly trying something else for season 2. This is now a CW show after all, and Kara is the lead. So romance is 100% GOING TO HAPPEN, and pretty often throughout the series. Now let's just hope really hard they can avoid the same love triangle drama from season 1!!!

Lena sounds like a carbon copy of Lucy from last season. "The mysterious, sexy and smart woman (aged 25-35) who comes to National City to try and escape the shadow of an older sibling." To me it seems she will serve as a replacement for Lucy, and Jenna won't be making the move to Vancouver. 

Maggie is intriguing because in the comics she is already married to Batwoman. So I wonder if they will acknowledge that or if they will have her be single and available for romances with other characters on the show. I'm assuming the latter, but maybe not?? I also noticed this casting news, along with Superman, is now TWICE that the show runners have gone back on their words from Paleyfest last season. Greg Berlanti said there were no plans to add any LGBT characters any time soon to the show. And when asked about Superman appearing, Ali Adler again implied that wasn't really something they were interested in. So....I do wonder if maybe the new network is influencing some of the decisions being made lately? 

As for Superman casting, the show's casting director David Rapaport can usually be a pretty big tell on twitter if you check his recent follows. If anything, it at least makes for interesting speculation. Anyway...his most recent follows include Tyler Hoechlin, Nick Zano and Brett Dalton along with Supergirl Writers Room account, Supergirl CW account, and Supergirl's production office account.

Edited by Kendra
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh goodness, please not Brett Dalton. He is best playing a stone-cold killer; otherwise he's pretty weak as an actor imo.

iirc, the showrunners went back on previously-made statements even last season, because at the show's start they said they were not planning any crossovers with the CW shows and then Barry Allen came on. I'm torn between saying "they just lie to misdirect" and "they really really want/need ratings and will do anything for them even if it goes outside the original plan." I think Superman is 100% a ratings ploy. Maggie could go a number of ways: it could be that the writers have always wanted (or at least were open to) a LGBT character but CBS, the stodgiest of all stodgy networks, wouldn't allow it on their "family show"; it could be a CW "suggestion" as part of The 100 damage control; it could be the show capitalizing on the fact that it developed a fairly large, passionate queer fanbase in S1; it could be some combination of all of these factors. The only thing I will say is that I doubt we ever would have gotten a queer character had the show stayed on CBS. Or at least not until, like, season 8!

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Kendra said:

And when asked about Superman appearing, Ali Adler again implied that wasn't really something they were interested in. So....I do wonder if maybe the new network is influencing some of the decisions being made lately? 

The network of course has some influence, but with Superman in particular, I think it may have come from DC/Geoff Johns. (In addition to it being a rating ploy.)

• Love 1

There was a clear embargo. It was lifted. Really only one major thing changed... what the world thinks of how DC has been handling their characters. People were skeptical after Man of Steel, but holding out enough hope that there was maintainable buzz about Batman V. Superman. And then it was even worse than most people's most pessimistic predictions. 

Clearly there was a shakeup. Ultimately there's an illusion that the people running the various comic, film and TV divisions had some power, but they all have common bosses even higher up at Time Warner. They're all under the same umbrella of reporting to Warner Brothers, the company, which in turn is totally under Time-Warner, the company. Someone at one of those levels lost patience finally at the shitstorm of both negative publicity, AND way underperforming box office from Batsy V. Supercrap. 

So they're hoping for some good P.R. here. I guess they figure it can't make the situation worse. If there's brand/identity confusion between the two versions of Superman that will be floating around at the same time now, I'm guessing they think it could only benefit them (people assuming the movie one is less dire and shitty--I mean after they bring him back midway through the Justice League movie--because they've seen this nice TV version that's not).

On 6/6/2016 at 1:48 PM, MarkHB said:

If they're going to have Superman, I'd at least want him to appear in costume, so that lets Tom Welling out.  I also want him (and Melissa) to get to play scenes with Brandon Routh.

Why would Welling be out? Because of the "No tights No flights?" Or was it "No flights No Tights?" I thought that was just because the caveat was that Smallville was supposed to be about Clark, and not, say, Superboy. And there was that horrible CGI in the series finale, where we had Welling's head and neck in the suit.

On 6/6/2016 at 7:54 PM, Trini said:

I'm the opposite; I only want to see him appear as Clark Kent. And would love to have Welling if he's willing. In any case, I think they'd want to go for a 'name' actor, maybe someone already associated with Superman or other DC properties.

I want both. Just because. He starred in the show, that made it possible for all the other shows that follwed. Plus, he's so purty.

7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, it sounds like we might get Lex Luthor at some point in the season, most likely near the end (I guess it also depends on how popular Lena becomes with the fans).

I nominate Michael Rosenbaum!

What?

14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Why would Welling be out?

Because he actually refused to wear the suit in the finale, saying that he thought he'd look silly or some such.  Hence, the awkward mess in the last few Superman scenes and the CGI in the final shot of the series.  Personally, I'm not interested in his looks, and tbh I rarely watched Smallville anyway, mainly just the last half of the final season to see how they would "get to Superman" and pivot the show to align with comics canon at the end.

2 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Because he actually refused to wear the suit in the finale, saying that he thought he'd look silly or some such.  Hence, the awkward mess in the last few Superman scenes and the CGI in the final shot of the series.  Personally, I'm not interested in his looks, and tbh I rarely watched Smallville anyway, mainly just the last half of the final season to see how they would "get to Superman" and pivot the show to align with comics canon at the end.

Huh. Still, I don't think that necessarily means he should be ruled out.

Call me an optimist.

6 hours ago, regularlyleaded said:

TBH, at first blush, this announcement of the addition of five new characters to the show gave me pause because at no point after the s1 finale did I ever think "Gee, what this show needs is a bigger cast!" I actually like that this show has a smaller cast, in comparison to many other shows, because (IMO) a smaller cast tends to lend itself to a better balance of screen time for each character. But, placed in the context of production moving to Vancouver from LA, then I see these characters more as replacements for characters the show is going to lose because of the production move. While it hasn't been confirmed one way or another, it's entirely possible that the show is losing Max Lord, Lucy Lane (I'll be really disappointed if we lose Lord and Lucy because I'd grown to like them.) and General Lane so they are going to have to fill those gaps. (Though, if the show is keeping all these characters and just adding five more then me no likey! That's serious cast bloat.)

I'd never thought about if the move would lose Lucy (nor to be honest, cared that much, since the character was as close to an unnecessary female character as the show managed in a field of really good ones), but if you think about "real life", Jenna Dewan Tatum is one of the least likely to want to move to Canada for big stretches of the year. She's married to a star who's arguably A-list now, and likely that entails a very committed Hollywood existence. Probably even more than Callista Flockhart, if you think about it, because Harrison Ford is an intentional recluse, while Channing Tatum is not. 

I imagine General Lane could simply be used without her, but perhaps they decided that if she was going to be gone, there was less point to him. I'm going to guess that perhaps they'll take a page from Arrow here, where they put aside old antagonists for a bit occasionally, and the Supergirl show will put aside whatever Max and Lane are doing until Season 3. At that point they can either have one or both of them return in a new arc, or have a new character as an agent of whatever those two started. So it would make sense for THAT specific trio of characters to be gone. For now at least.

CADMUS really seems like it is (and has to be) it's own arc. And I STILL think the inevitable endgame is at least one more regular character--possibly two (I still think there's a likely endgame of them not only getting Jeremiah Danvers back, but also a "Superboy"/Connor Kent character). 

I have no idea what approach they'll be taking with Lena Luthor, so it's hard to call if she'll still be around after Season 2. She can be anywhere from an outright deliberate contrast to her brother, to his literal standin for the Supergirl show. We just don't know. Either version has story arcs that could limit her to one season, or keep her around for good.

Snapper Carr and new whoever the hell he is bad boy really sound like temporary characters to me. They just don't sound necessary except to setup new plots for Kara to work through, and once those plots are done, they'll be too. Certainly this is true of this Doctor in a more obvious way, but the same is likely true for setting up boundaries for Kara's "new job"--a job that for all we know may not even exist after Season 2 is done.

Maggie Sawyer could go either way. She could only be involved because of CADMUS. Which would argue that once the CADMUS plot is done, so is she. Or they might just think that Supergirl needs a new authority figure to deal with/squabble with now that J'onn is so firmly in her camp, and Lucy and General Lane are (possibly) off the show.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, MarkHB said:

It was in the LoSH of course. But it actually IS also the name they changed the Metropolis Special Crimes Unit to in the 21st century. I don't recall the exact year this was done, but google suggests it was right after Infinite Crisis (so mid to late 2000s).  So the Easter Egg isn't even a Supergirl TV one, it's an overall DC comics one done years ago at this point. And directly tied to Sawyer, because Sawyer was in the MSCU.  They clearly couldn't use the METROPOLIS Special Crimes Unit in National City, so they went with the version they can either say started in National City, or imply is a Federal thing (it's not clear which they'll be doing here). Either way, they can even still have Maggie Sawyer be from Metropolis and have experiences with Superman if they want (or not), because they can just say she showed up now to take over because of that previous experience. 

EDIT - Here's the Metropolis version of The Science Police fighting Bizarro. Notice that the person in charge at that point is not Maggie Sawyer, but a kind of lame character DC had around named "The Guardian" (he's actually a Jack Kirby character originally from way back in the 1940s, but nevertheless still... kind of lame). He's the one in the silly looking gold and blue outfit.  The other Science Police are in the metal suits. Clearly this in not the version they'll be having with Sawyer on a tightly budgeted CW show.

VwJeJ9A.jpg

When Sawyer was involved, and it was the Metropolis Special Crimes Unit, it looked more like this:

CL05D3S.jpg

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I definitely think we're getting Jeremiah back, though depending on the storyline I don't know that I see him becoming a regular, as you would think that that would also entail Eliza becoming a regular too. I wouldn't mind having Jeremiah as recurring though; that would give Alex a meaty storyline, and the Danvers family dynamics are some of the most compelling stories/relationships on the show.

I vote no on Superboy, though. Mostly because I don't trust the show, now on the CW, to resist being able to make it all about the dudes (can't lie, Superman appearing in conjunction with a Superboy intro would really set my radar off). I'd rather they pay Laura Benanti a boatload of money and have Astra return because CADMUS somehow got their mitts on her.

• Love 1

Supergirl.tv interview with producer Larry Teng:

Supergirl.tv Adding to the rumors, many have said to expect a scaled-down version of Supergirl in season 2. Do you have any information on that?

The truth is that last year The Flash being in Canada, the currency conversion and their tax incentives, they actually made the show, if I'm not mistaken, for more money than [Supergirl] did, for [more budget] money to spend on [The Flash] than [Supergirl]. The rumor of the show scaling back, none of that is true. In some ways, the show is going to be bigger and better than it was before. Canada affords it that opportunity.

• Love 1

He was "co-Executive Producer" for Season 1 and directed a few episodes, but is still involved now, but demoted to just a director?  So is his bigger job title just a casualty of the move?

The truth is that last year The Flash being in Canada, the currency conversion and their tax incentives, they actually made the show, if I'm not mistaken, for more money than [Supergirl] did, for [more budget] money to spend on [The Flash] than [Supergirl]. The rumor of the show scaling back, none of that is true. In some ways, the show is going to be bigger and better than it was before. Canada affords it that opportunity.

Is it just me, or does this statement contradict itself?

I read that statement as simply saying that it's actually more cost-effective to film in Canada than in Los Angeles, in large measure because of the differences between the Canadian and the US economies and Canadian tax incentives that don't exist in the US, the net effect of which was that the producers of The Flash had a bigger budget to work with than the producers of Supergirl did.  More bang for the buck in Canada, in other words.

• Love 3

"Jennifer Morrison's Directorial Debut" doesn't seem like it's an obvious next move for someone with Melissa's career trajectory, but it's probably a fairly easy little Independent film that Melissa doesn't have to give up her entire Summer for. 

(edited)

I can't find her actual age anywhere. Only an old article for InStyle that references her being in her thirties. 

I honestly think she will be a potential love interest for Alex, so they cast someone similar in age to Chyler. She and Chyler immediately followed each other on Twitter after the casting announcement, and Chyler was the first to welcome her to the show. I get a sense that perhaps they had already met before the casting announcement was made. Chyler might have been introduced to her already. Possibly a chemistry test during the audition process? 

Edited by Kendra
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kendra said:

I can't find her actual age anywhere. Only an old article for InStyle that references her being in her thirties. 

I honestly think she will be a potential love interest for Alex, so they cast someone similar in age to Chyler. She and Chyler immediately followed each other on Twitter after the casting announcement, and Chyler was the first to welcome her to the show. I get a sense that perhaps they had already met before the casting announcement was made. Chyler might have been introduced to her already. Possibly a chemistry test during the audition process? 

The only problem with that is that we've had zero evidence that Alex swings that way.  Zero.  None.  Zip.  I would consider it an insult to the LGBT community if an inorganic relationship sprang up between the two simply for the sake of inclusiveness.  That's not inclusiveness -- that's pandering.

• Love 2

Oh, I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this question, but: what evidence are we supposed to have gotten to indicate that Alex is bi? Is she supposed to walk around with a neon sign over her head, or introduce herself to everyone by saying "Hi, I'm Alex and I'm bi"? Why can't it be just as plausible that Alex is bi, maybe generally more into men than women but still with an interest in women, but because we've not yet seen her meet a woman that piques her interest, we haven't yet seen her flirt with one? And that she keeps her sexuality on the down-low at work especially because we're not all that far away from DADT? Maybe she fears Eliza would disapprove. Alternately, the show could also do a classic coming out storyline if they want to go Alex/Maggie. Personally I feel like it's a big assumption to already be judging that any relationship between the two of them would be "inorganic" if they were to decide to go that route with Alex (especially since imo they've given her a fashion style that reads as quite gay, so I'm not sure I agree that there's been nothing pointing in that direction so far!).

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

The only problem with that is that we've had zero evidence that Alex swings that way.  Zero.  None.  Zip.  I would consider it an insult to the LGBT community if an inorganic relationship sprang up between the two simply for the sake of inclusiveness.  That's not inclusiveness -- that's pandering.

I'm with you. So sick of retcons. And it would certainly feel like a pathetic attempt to be trendy or something without being actually daring to make a major male character bi or gay (imagine the wrath of comic book nerds).

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1
On 7/13/2016 at 2:12 PM, Trini said:

She doesn't look much like Maggie Sawyer, but I guess this falls under the heading of an easy way to cast diverse, since not many people know Maggie Sawyer well enough to care if she's a waspy looking blue eyed blond or not. 

I will say it does feed into the slightly eye rolly trend where you have characters on TV who's names don't exactly match their apparent ethnic backgrounds. They're likely going to invent a Hispanic mother in her background to counter her ancestrally British surname (or say she's adopted). 

(edited)
On 7/14/2016 at 8:08 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

She looks waaaaay too young to play Maggie Sawyer to me. I mean, it's not as if Supes is a teenager in this universe, or Kara a baby; because by the time Clark was Supes, Maggie was a veteran cop. Lima looks like she just graduated high school.

To be fair, I don't think that's any more necessary to the character than her having blond hair and blue eyes. Maggie Sawyer's important characteristics are that she's a cop, that she's a lesbian, and that she interfaces with the Super-people. 

She's been doing that from a place of being in charge in the past, but her being the boss may not be strictly necessary to the character. If that is so, I don't see why she couldn't be a 20-something.

This is versus, lets say Amanda Waller, where its unimaginable if she's anything else other than in charge. Although I have to say I never liked them de-fatting Waller since I personally thought that was an essential characteristic too (since it went hand in hand with showing her as a really unlikely, thus extra dangerous, source of power). 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
On 17/07/2016 at 8:00 AM, stealinghome said:

Oh, I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this question, but: what evidence are we supposed to have gotten to indicate that Alex is bi? Is she supposed to walk around with a neon sign over her head, or introduce herself to everyone by saying "Hi, I'm Alex and I'm bi"? Why can't it be just as plausible that Alex is bi, maybe generally more into men than women but still with an interest in women, but because we've not yet seen her meet a woman that piques her interest, we haven't yet seen her flirt with one? And that she keeps her sexuality on the down-low at work especially because we're not all that far away from DADT? Maybe she fears Eliza would disapprove. Alternately, the show could also do a classic coming out storyline if they want to go Alex/Maggie. Personally I feel like it's a big assumption to already be judging that any relationship between the two of them would be "inorganic" if they were to decide to go that route with Alex (especially since imo they've given her a fashion style that reads as quite gay, so I'm not sure I agree that there's been nothing pointing in that direction so far!).

Well given that Kate Kane is rumoured to be appearing on the show I think that's the direction where any of Maggie's romantic interests will be going.  And judging by the casting, I wonder if they actually wanted Renee Montoya but couldn't get her due to Gotham.  Or if they're blending a bit of Montoya into the Sawyer character.

Looks like they'll be merging the @supergirlcbs and @TheCWSupergirl Twitter accounts:

And Laura Benanti played Melania Trump on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert:

On June 9, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Kendra said:

And I think the actor could even be a "CW guy." Someone who is recognizable with the network's viewers. Someone like Chris Wood is who first comes to mind. He's available too now that Containment is done. 

I

Anyone need me to predict their future ;) 

• Love 3

I haven't had the time to really delve into the panel footage yet (I've had more of a chance to look at the liveblogs and some of the more junket-y stuff), but the coverage did not do much to make me excited for the upcoming season, I have to say. It was so general, it seems like what everyone said basically amounted to "new challenges and new growth for everyone!", which is...not exactly groundbreaking news. The only thing I found even moderately interesting is that Alex will get more of solo storyline this year involving the hunt for her father. She's imo one of the Core Four of the show (Kara, Alex, Cat, and J'onn), but was probably the character that had the least individual storyline last year--she got stuck playing Exposition Fairy a lot and her major storylines tended to be in the service of Kara or, less so, J'onn's. I'm ready to see Alex get something relatively meaty of her own. Bonus points if the show can bring a little tension back into her relationship with Kara.

Also, I'm sure others will disagree, but I am thoroughly unimpressed that a show touting itself as being about girl power and feminism brought 4 male actors to just 2 female actors to SDCC. Way too many dicks on the dance floor, especially when one guy hasn't even been on the show yet and is only supposed to appear for two episodes. I just hope this isn't indicative of what's to come for the show on the CW.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Also, I'm sure others will disagree, but I am thoroughly unimpressed that a show touting itself as being about girl power and feminism brought 4 male actors to just 2 female actors to SDCC. Way too many dicks on the dance floor, especially when one guy hasn't even been on the show yet and is only supposed to appear for two episodes. I just hope this isn't indicative of what's to come for the show on the CW.

You are certainly not the only one that had that same observation and complaint. I saw many people expressing the same disappointment via twitter during press day at comic con. 

Superman definitely seemed to be the "big ticket" they were selling the entire day. It's understandable, but I'm still a little concerned about how they are going to successfully portray SUPERMAN in a supporting role.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Kendra said:

You are certainly not the only one that had that same observation and complaint. I saw many people expressing the same disappointment via twitter during press day at comic con. 

Superman definitely seemed to be the "big ticket" they were selling the entire day. It's understandable, but I'm still a little concerned about how they are going to successfully portray SUPERMAN in a supporting role.

Its weird considering how Warner Bros. knocked it out of the park with the other DC Comics stuff.  Wonder Woman especially, but Suicide Squad and even Justice League had good showings.  But all the Flarrow stuff seemed really tepid in comparison, even accounting for the fact that its relative to the fkn amazing Wonder Woman stuff.

4 hours ago, Agent Dark said:

Its weird considering how Warner Bros. knocked it out of the park with the other DC Comics stuff.  Wonder Woman especially, but Suicide Squad and even Justice League had good showings.  But all the Flarrow stuff seemed really tepid in comparison, even accounting for the fact that its relative to the fkn amazing Wonder Woman stuff.

I was surprised Zach Snyder wasn't booed off stage when he appeared at panels, but I suppose they were doing some crowd control to prevent that. 

In terms of the TV stuff, part of the problem is that they had little to show since they haven't really filmed much (Flash and Arrow maybe a few weeks worth and Supergirl nothing at all yet). The effects on the Flash stuff probably barely got finished in time for the little they showed.  In terms of Supergirl I wonder if they even have more than the first few scripts totally locked down yet. 

The most interesting thing with Supergirl in particular was them not bringing the new cast, other than someone we already know is only a 2 episode guest star. I can understand Lynda Carter maybe being a bit much (although one thinks she might have other reason to be at Comic-Con anyway), but you'd think they'd hunt down Floriana Lima and Ian Gomez and have them show their faces.  Unless they both have other work commitments.  Maybe it was just a case of bad luck schedulewise. 

I suppose the Chris Wood in the Pod thing was supposed to be their idea of a big reveal, but without him there it perhaps was dulled a bit. I mean how crazy can the grown up Superclone and/or Mon-El rumors get without him there?

• Love 1
(edited)

Why didn't they announce Chris Wood at comic con?! That would have been a nice casting surprise and they could have introduced him at the panel like they did last year with Peter. I realize this would have been yet another dude up on stage at the panel but because the show hasn't filmed anything yet, there really wasn't much else they could tease. The "who's in the pod" story was the big cliffhanger. 

They should have brought the new girl cast as Maggie. She's currently not a series regular but I'm wondering if Cat and Lucy are no longer going to be on the show full time, and if they completely drop the Lena character, if they will go ahead and bump her up to regular. 

Edited by Kendra

I thought some of the press releases did have Lima down as a series regular, interestingly, though that's not what the role was originally announced as. Maybe I'm wrong.

I wonder if they wanted Chris Wood to be there, but realized it would be ridiculous to have 5 men and 2 women, and Hoechlin won the coin flip so they could start pumping Superman. Or schedules conflicted and maybe Hoechlin stepped in at the last minute.

fwiw, someone (I think David Harewood) mentioned that the cast has seen 3 scripts so far. I do realize that without new footage it can be hard to get a crowd jazzed, but still. The WB DC shows have done it better in the past. I agree TV seemed particularly tepid all the way around this year.