Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Wow, they are all but begging people who dropped the show in S1, or stuck it out but didn't want to come back for S2, to come back. "It'll be better! REALLY, we PROMISE it'll be better!"

they are totally hoping to backdoor pilot a Superman show later this season. Frankly, at this point, that would be the best thing for Supergirl, because clearly Superman will be popping up regularly here if he's not on his own show. Not appealing.

• Love 3

New interview with Berlanti -- talks about the crossovers, as well as his other non-superhero shows.

As “Supergirl” leaps to The CW, how has the network move – and the relocation to Vancouver – been going?

I just saw the director’s cut of the first episode, and I’m in as much love with the show as ever. It’s been challenging to figure out all the moving parts, moving the show across cities and across networks. But the reality is, I think the show is as strong as ever and it feels really seamless. People will not be able to tell that it’s not L.A. It feels like National City still. There are some new enhancements to the set that we were going to do anyway. Obviously some new characters are coming to the show that we would have brought in anyway to the second season. And so I’m really pleased. CBS in their own wisdom recognized it, there’s no part of the show that’s fighting itself anymore. It has a youthfulness and appeal because of the age of the leading lady, and it gets to embrace that a touch more.

I wonder what Greg meant by "there is no part of the show that is fighting itself anymore"

I've seen quite a few comments from cast and creators that are similar in nature to that comment. Seems they recognize season one struggled a bit. 

Interview with producers Sarah Schechter and Ali Adler:

You’ve talked about why you waited to introduce Superman, to give Kara the focus in the first season. Now that you’re bringing Superman in, what does it allow you to do narratively and thematically?

Ali Adler: I think we got to introduce her as her and it’s her show and it’s her point of view. We just really wanted it to be through that lens. I think we talked about that before. Honestly, I don’t think DC was ready to make him available to us until the time.

Sarah Schechter: I would say more importantly, in season one, it was really all about Kara. Audiences needed to fall in love with her which I think they have. The show is about her and yet by season two, the show is very much about family. It’s the family you make but it’s also the family you’re born with. To not have Superman at that point...

AA: We would be remiss to not explore her super famous cousin.

I'm going to say this once simply to get it out of my system: Jeebus Cripes! Enough with the Superman promotions (video, ads, print, etc.) for a show about Supergirl! Congratulations, producers, now I'm annoyed -__- 
*deep cleansing breath*

I get that The Powers That Be in charge of Supergirl are heavily promoting Superman to not only attract viewers to the show as it moves to The CW, but also, in all likelihood, because they are hoping for a good reception to the actor playing Superman, so they can then spinoff a Superman show as well. But JFC, enough! I'm usually fairly blasé about these things because I understand they are trying to promote their show to as many viewers as possible and especially to those who may have not have seen the show on CBS, but sheesh! They've managed to annoy me with this. (Not to mention I think they may be over doing it. If Hoechlin is only supposed to be in 2 or 3 episodes to begin with, they are running the danger of these Superman heavy promotional items coming off as a bait and switch, especially to someone who never saw season one of Supergirl and they are expecting Superman to be a regular, which as far as I know, he's not).

Blerg....I'm just going to ignore all the promotional material from here on out. It's not like they are directed at me because I already watch the show and (for now) plan on watching the new season. But if I'm being honest, all the Superman going on is starting to really irritate me enough that if I see another promotion for Superman, I'm going to skip the first five episodes of season 2 just to be sure I don't see (or hear) Superman on my screen to spite the over promotion of Superman on a show called Supergirl. 

Thank you all for allowing this minor rant. I will see myself out now -- there are important things in the real world to worry about. :)

Edited by regularlyleaded
Clarity.
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, regularlyleaded said:

I'm going to say this once simply to get it out of my system: Jeebus Cripes! Enough with the Superman promos for a show about Supergirl! Congratulations, producers, now I'm annoyed -__- 
*deep cleansing breath*

I'm a bit confused... what other Superman promos have we gotten?  Isn't this the one and only or did I miss something?  There have been photoshoots and such, which if they were for the entire season very arguably shouldn't have included him, but this is the first actual Season 2 footage we've seen in a trailer (the rest of the Season 2 promos have all been reused Season 1 footage and thus didn't include Superman). 

I actually expect more of them in the next few weeks, since they'll be promos/trailers for the specific episode (the first and second of the season), and what else would they talk about relative to those episodes? Snapper Carr? Maggie Sawyer?  Really I don't think having trailers showing their faces would have a real impact. I expect we'll see Supes. We will maybe see some Clark Kent. And perhaps some Lena Luthor (maybe). 

Edited by Kromm

That promo was pretty light on the Superman.  A few seconds of him needing quite the running start to get airborne, a couple of silhouette/CGI flying shots, and two brief flashes of his face don't equal a Superman overload.  Although for someone who has apparently dreamed of teaming up with her cousin Kara certainly went out of her way to avoid working with him in season 1.

11 hours ago, Kromm said:

I'm a bit confused... what other Superman promos have we gotten?  Isn't this the one and only or did I miss something?

When I wrote “promos” I was referring to all the promotional materials, e.g., video, posters, print and mainstream media articles as it pertains to the new season of the show. (yes, I realize that the show can’t control what the entertainment news outlets choose to focus on as it pertains to the show, but nevertheless, it constitutes marketing in promotion of the show).  I will amend my original post to clarify. 

But, if I may….because we do not all traffic the same exact websites, see the same ads, nor frequent the same events I doubt that we have all had the same ad experience. So if your perception is that there’s not that much promotion of Superman, then, sincerely, good for you. But, my experience is not yours. Of the varying ads I’ve seen for the new season of the show, the majority have featured Superman. For me, the video promo posted above was the straw that broke the camel’s back. It’s a slick and well crafted promotional video, and yet after all the other Superman laden show promotions I've seen, I’m experiencing a distinctly unpleasant “Superman” overdose, and the new season of Supergirl hasn’t even started. That there is so much Superman promotion going on for a show that's about Supergirl is irritating to me. But again, that’s simply my perception and my experience thus far. I’m not going to spend any time agonizing over this, I was simply venting. 

• Love 1
On 9/20/2016 at 0:33 AM, regularlyleaded said:

, in all likelihood, because they are hoping for a good reception to the actor playing Superman, so they can then spinoff a Superman show as well.

Its not happening. Its not happening. Its not happening.

• Love 1

Okay. Story time. I was visiting with people in Northern New Jersey, and we went to the gigantic Garden State Plaza. A 350 store mall with more than 2.1 million sq. feet. And every ten to fifteen feet or so there was an ad for Supergirl. Hundreds and hundreds of posters, strung up in most of the hallways, in most of the medians (the open spaces between floors), and even larger ones (a few animated video screens) in the many courtyard and atrium areas (the places where the various hallways meet and there are escalators, food courts, etc.).  This one of the most highly trafficked malls in the US apparently, so the investment to pay for those ads had to be ginormous. WPIX, the local CW station is namechecked on them, but... they don't have this kind of budget alone. CBS/WB/CW had to have had a hand it this IMO.

By the way, not a single ad featured Superman. The vast majority simply had Melissa in a heroic pose, and in a few spots they had those alternating with other signs with just the S logo. And as I said, a few animated ads on video screens (the second photo in this first group is one of those--if I'd taken a video instead of a still it would be a looping video of about 10 seconds that's a shortened version of that TV ad where she smashes a CW logo into the ground--although they alternated that with about 5 other ads so it only came up about once per minute).

A lot of photos, so I may spread them over 2 posts, but I think it's interesting and relevant to things we've been talking about (who's being focused on, whether CW is sinking money into this, etc.)  Keep in mind for the most part I'm trying not to duplicate. Take what you see here, each kind of signage, and multiple it by a few dozen different hallway segments and/or atriums (basically the kind of sign they hung depended on the kind of hallway but signs of SOME kind were in every single hallway). 

ctYXWzA.jpgJxePPFa.jpgJU7pEL9.jpg

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5

A combination of Sue Ellen Mischke the braless wonder/candybar heiress from Seinfeld and Mary Alice Young from Desperate Housewives is joining Supergirl in Season 2.  If the CW wants better ratings, maybe a little more of the former, with may be a dash of Eileen the distraught mother of the zombie bride from Fear the Walking Dead tossed in for good measure.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/september-23-2016-brenda-strong-joins-supergirl-cast-for-season-2/

The CW at 10: How the Network Found Its Footing With Superheroes & Strong Women

The rise of the DC shows on the CW, which will include “Supergirl” as of this season, has been a crucial part of the studio’s long-term plan to mine more material from the DC vault.

The immediacy of TV, compared to feature films, offers a chance to see what characters resonate with lovers of the genre. And the crossover episodes among the shows are always crowd-pleasers.

“Having a lot of the DC shows on the CW has allowed us the flexibility to cross-pollinate within the shows. That’s exciting and important for us,” Tsujihara says. “From a strategic perspective for Warner Bros., it doesn’t get much more important than DC.”

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-cw-anniversary-mark-pedowitz-arrow-the-flash-1201865900/

Cool ads, thanks Kromm ?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

My eyes might be permanently rolled at Cat's thing for Clark Kent. I was hoping for something far more amusing and snarktastic than that.

Okay, but just for those who don't know... it's totally canon from the comics that Cat is super into Clark (and I mean CLARK, not Superman).

Clark briefly dates her but isn't really that into her. Hard to say if that part gets carried over (the brief dating history) but it's more than possible, since it also contributes to why she dislikes Lois Lane so much. 

Then again those same issues had Jimmy Olsen into Cat (and her barely noticing he exists). 

• Love 3

The premise is a little inherently silly, but that is a fun clip if you don't use your brain.

I'm going to guess the point of the new clip is probably going to be Supergirl mopping the floor with everyone else. 

As it turns out, Warner Bros. is aggressively blocking any copies of Superhero Fight Club 2.0 that make their way to YouTube.  The official distribution channel...

Also, if you want to know who the villains will be for the mega-crossover...

Spoiler

So... they're doing Invasion! ?  Please take discussion to the comics thread or the spoiler thread as appropriate. :)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, MarkHB said:

As it turns out, Warner Bros. is aggressively blocking any copies of Superhero Fight Club 2.0 that make their way to YouTube.  The official distribution channel...

Argh. Downloading an app?  Good lord. This is just as frustrating as how you had to tweet FOX to see that Rocky Horror first five minutes clip (meaning some folks likely had to set up accounts, probably bogus ones, just to see that).

Couldn't they just oblige people to go to the CW seed website? No download but they'd still get their hits/ad presence. 

EDIT - Easy solution. Review/Reaction videos. Just search for those.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

If I'm being totally honest?  The spot is actually kind of lame. There's light-hearted, and there's cheesy, and they're not inherently the same thing. And that spot totally lives in the country of Cheesylvania. 

That said, other than maybe squinting my eyes a little at some of the effects, I'm not really holding it up against what we're likely to see on the actual shows. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

Couldn't they just oblige people to go to the CW seed website? No download but they'd still get their hits/ad presence. 

I have a feeling we have rival product managers or something....

I don't mind the 'cheese', but, I liked the first one better. That one was focused on fights between the characters, and had less quips/commentary. I did like Kara's enthusiasm that she got to be a part of the club!

Edited by Trini
11 hours ago, Trini said:

I don't mind the 'cheese', but, I liked the first one better. That one was focused on fights between the characters, and had less quips/commentary. I did like Kara enthusiasm that she got to be a part of the club!

To be fair, the last one didn't have Supergirl in the fight either. We're talking someone who can canonically lift a million ton spacecraft into orbit and take hits from people capable of doing the same. Unless this version of Firestorm knows the atomic structure of kryptonite and has fully gotten the hang of his transmutation abilities I don't see how this would be anything other than a curb-stomp in Kara's favor.

I did love Dig's reaction to J'onn though. THAT was fantastic and its a pity it will almost certainly not happen during the crossover (somehow I have the feeling that Kara will be the only one making the jump to Earth-1 for the crossover). We'll have to settle for Ollie and Dig's reactions to Kara instead... which should still be pretty epic (side-bar: I think Kara and Felicity would get along ridiculously well).

That review gives me cautious hope but I"m still afraid Superman will take over the show. I'm more interested in what's happening with Kara than Clark, especially since every new Superman movie will erase it all.

Wow, I like Fight Club V2.  I hated the first one, it was just a bunch of masks fighting each other and the only woman was Black Canary who really hadn't earned her stripes yet.

This one not only brings on two good female fighters and the humor Kara brings,, it honors the non-mask but-just-as-important members of the team in Cisco and Felicity.  (Also J'onn and Diggle but they wear masks too.)  It's also got intelligence and logical in that the techies have created a real training scenario, not just people bashing at each other.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Wow, I like Fight Club V2.  I hated the first one, it was just a bunch of masks fighting each other and the only woman was Black Canary who really hadn't earned her stripes yet.

Heh. Different strokes! That's exactly why I liked the first one better; it was focused on showcasing the stunt team.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:23 AM, Trini said:

I don't mind the 'cheese', but, I liked the first one better. That one was focused on fights between the characters, and had less quips/commentary. I did like Kara's enthusiasm that she got to be a part of the club!

I hated the first one a lot because it made no in show sense that they'd be hanging out and playing with their enemies and it was a sausage fest.  Put me in the like the new one a lot more column. 

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, regularlyleaded said:

I'm going to say this once simply to get it out of my system: Jeebus Cripes! Enough with the Superman promotions (video, ads, print, etc.) for a show about Supergirl! Congratulations, producers, now I'm annoyed -__- 
*deep cleansing breath*

I get that The Powers That Be in charge of Supergirl are heavily promoting Superman to not only attract viewers to the show as it moves to The CW, but also, in all likelihood, because they are hoping for a good reception to the actor playing Superman, so they can then spinoff a Superman show as well. But JFC, enough! I'm usually fairly blasé about these things because I understand they are trying to promote their show to as many viewers as possible and especially to those who may have not have seen the show on CBS, but sheesh! They've managed to annoy me with this. (Not to mention I think they may be over doing it. If Hoechlin is only supposed to be in 2 or 3 episodes to begin with, they are running the danger of these Superman heavy promotional items coming off as a bait and switch, especially to someone who never saw season one of Supergirl and they are expecting Superman to be a regular, which as far as I know, he's not).

Blerg....I'm just going to ignore all the promotional material from here on out. It's not like they are directed at me because I already watch the show and (for now) plan on watching the new season. But if I'm being honest, all the Superman going on is starting to really irritate me enough that if I see another promotion for Superman, I'm going to skip the first five episodes of season 2 just to be sure I don't see (or hear) Superman on my screen to spite the over promotion of Superman on a show called Supergirl. 

Thank you all for allowing this minor rant. I will see myself out now -- there are important things in the real world to worry about. :)

I honestly don't think there are any plans to do a Superman spin off.  Not only is the CW already saturated with superhero shows, but the meatiest part of Superman's story remains his origin story, not so much a rehash of Smallville and what leads him to be a hero but the part where he goes to Metropolis and meets Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen and Perry White and comes out as Superman the alien.  Just following Superman around after he's done this gig for more than a decade and has already established himself as a reporter and has already gone through the ups and downs of his romance with Lois Lane - that isn't gong to appeal to very many viewers.  There's a reason why stories get rebooted back to the beginning. 

And if they did decide to go back to that beginning, they would have to either set it in a totally different universe than the one Supergirl inhabits because by the very existence of Supergirl, we know that he and Lois and Jimmy and Cat and Perry White and Metropolis all survive just fine.  And why would they use the hype of his introduction on Supergirl if they were just going to do a show that had nothing to do with her show anyway?  Plus I'm willing to bet Berlanti, who is the go to guy in the DC TV universe would have no interest in doing it if he couldn't tie it into his Arrowverse and as already said, if it's set in it's own universe it's a waste and if it's set as one big flashback, it's boring, there's no danger.  Plus would audiences be happy with the recasting of Cat and Jimmy? 

So no, I honestly don't think they have any plans on doing a live action Superman show again any time soon.  At least not until the Arrowverse era is over.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2