Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

ET really does manage to make everything seem dumber. It's like the mere presence of two idiots bantering about something leaches all the credibility out of whatever they are talking about.

It seems like he may not be at all like his comic counterpart, so I don't understand he couldn't just be a new character.

Perhaps in that interview he just gave a hint. Think of the times this same Producer has had characters who are RELATIVES of the villain or hero we think they are.

• Love 2

I just hope they don't feel like every character needs to be from the comics*. This is a new interpretation; new, original characters should be welcome.

*[...and I just realized this is the case for The Flash; save for three characters--including guest stars.]

• Love 1

CBS aired their Fall Preview special last night, but I'm not sure if they'll put it up online. Anyway, there was a about 4 minutes for Supergirl, with yes, clips from the pilot, although they used a few clips that haven't been used in promotion already. Mixed in they had (way too short, I want to see more!) quotes from the cast and producers, also from Collen Atwood who did the Supergirl costume.

• Love 1

I saw it. There was no new show footage (figures) but yes, a tiny bit of behind the scenes stuff that was new (well, interviews/talking heads).

Nothing worth going out of your way to find, although the Collen Atwood bit was interesting (but really only like 20 seconds).

• Love 1

I enjoyed the segment from Colleen Atwood.  Over in Arrow we've been scratching our heads over why the original Arrow costumes was so good and why the recent crops of costumes have been disappointing and now I have my answer. 

Entertainment Weekly has a Fall Preview story.

Yet for executives watching her every move, Benoist is the one element — the most important one — they’re not worried about. “She is going to change the way girls feel about themselves with her energy and her light,” Adler declares. “It’s crazy. She’s going to fly.”

Crosses fingers! 

I really hope this series is a unstoppable success. 

You can already see the predictable writing on the wall with the two guys in her confidence, but I liked the comic beats of that little scene, and Melissa's sheepish expression/nervous smile at the end was pure gold.

• Love 1

What stood out the most to me was the emphasis on the action and the fighting scenes when honestly, that's what interests me the least. She's Superman's equal. Of course she's going to win most of her fights. That's not what's going to make the show compelling in the long run.

Looking forward to the show actually being on the air for a few weeks when the marketing people can ease back on the spin. I say that and yet at the same time I get why they are trying to play up the action. Some numbers guy probably has them all shaking in their boots convinced that a GiRL superhero is certain to flop unless they can trick the boys into watching.

I so want this to be a mega knock out hit for just that reason.

• Love 1

You can already see the predictable writing on the wall with the two guys in her confidence, but I liked the comic beats of that little scene, and Melissa's sheepish expression/nervous smile at the end was pure gold.

I really hate that the Jeremy Jordan character knows. The same team were happy to leave Iris and Laurel in the dark on The Flash and Arrow making them look like idiots in the process, but god forbid a guy should be in the dark.

Apart from that I loved the trailer. Melissa is awesome.

But please can we not have a love triangle with the two guys.

• Love 3

I really hate that the Jeremy Jordan character knows. The same team were happy to leave Iris and Laurel in the dark on The Flash and Arrow making them look like idiots in the process, but god forbid a guy should be in the dark.

Apart from that I loved the trailer. Melissa is awesome.

But please can we not have a love triangle with the two guys.

I'm all for throwing shade were it's deserved but I'm not sure if both guys knowing is misogyny or just Berlanti really hating the secret identity troupe. He let Laurel in on it by year two and Iris found out by the end of the first year. It's almost like an obvious progression to let the friends and love interests know from day one. All he's ever got were complaints about keeping them in the dark so it might simply be he wanted to completely skip over that with friends and family and might have had nothing to do with boys vs girls.

Side question though - and the eventual answer will probably decide for me if it was sexism or just the learning curve kicking in - Jimmy the James Olsen already knows all about who Kara is and how she's related to Superman. Does that also mean that He knows that Superman is Clark Kent? Because if he's been handed Kara's secrets but isn't privy to Clark's then yeah, I'm going to go with "godforbid a guy should be left in the dark".

• Love 2

I think there's a scene in the first trailer which indicates James Olsen knew, that Superman sent him to see Kara.

I remember that but I don't remember if we are told how much he knows about Supes. There's a double standard of it's fine for him to know Kara's secrets but Superman doesn't share his.

What stood out the most to me was the emphasis on the action and the fighting scenes when honestly, that's what interests me the least. She's Superman's equal. Of course she's going to win most of her fights. That's not what's going to make the show compelling in the long run.

Looking forward to the show actually being on the air for a few weeks when the marketing people can ease back on the spin. I say that and yet at the same time I get why they are trying to play up the action. Some numbers guy probably has them all shaking in their boots convinced that a GiRL superhero is certain to flop unless they can trick the boys into watching.

I so want this to be a mega knock out hit for just that reason.

You know full well why it did that. Because male dominated geekdom turned on the show almost as one when the First Look had even a hint of "chick" about it. Because they are terrified their balls will shrink up back into their bodies if they accidentally see a scene with a girl talking about a relationship or something like that.

So yeah. They need to fool those folks.  Get them to put down their Xbox controllers for 45 minutes and pretend they don't see any of the scenes with Calista Flockhart or any of the romantic angst with the two male "helpers" and only see some punching and FX.

• Love 4

I always felt that Oliver had a number of reasons not to tell Laurel, mostly because Oliver was running around and killing people, so I can see keeping that a secret. But Barry not telling Iris was my hands down least favorite part of Flash, to the point where it was actively interfering with my enjoyment of the show, so even if turns out to be a "god forbid a guy should be kept in the dark" scenario, I'm welcoming it here on Supergirl, double standards or not.

Wow. They've LITERALLY done a full 360.

It's worth noting that the song wasn't yet a hit when they bowed to Boy-Geek pressure and stripped the song from every last bit of their material.

Even more hilarious, THIS particular assemblage makes zero sense. The parts with Rachel Platten bear no actual link (even a pretended link) to the footage. I'm guessing if I actually tracked down the regular video for the song, her scenes are just swiped whole cloth from that.

They DID grab and insert some actual (I think real world shots from events) of girls with the "S" temporary tattoo though. That's their intended linkage, I guess.

I've seen the actual Fight Song video, and yes, Platten's pieces are taken from that... this is a straight mashup of that, some stuff from the pilot, at least one shot I am not sure came from the pilot (Winn on the roof visually tracking Supergirl in flight), and the other stuff you mention.

You can actually see the different saturation on those few shots with the little girls. It doesn't have the glowy soft filter that both the Platten video AND the pilot coincidentally both used--although the Platten video is slightly softer of the two.  The stuff they grabbed from the real world looks totally different though (it's like three shots in a row after what I am assuming are scenes from the Platten video where people make muscle arms).

And it's hilarious too that there are already comments on the video screaming about the song. Here's one:

this song sucks. this why everybody thinks the show will suck. its bad marketing. the pilot was good but they should give their trailers a heroic theme like superman instead of the girly bullcrap

Edited by Kromm

Now I wonder if the change in marketing for this was influenced by the fact that DC/Mattel is trying to launch 'DC Super Hero Girls'.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Ha! I was just coming to post about watching Big Bang tonight and the Supergirl promo using the Fight Song.

Personally, I was surprised how pleased I found myself that they brought it back. I never thought it was a bad choice and it being stripped away out of fear of being too much of a girl power anthem started really annoying me. It does help that it became very popular. :)

Wow. They've LITERALLY done a full 360.

It's worth noting that the song wasn't yet a hit when they bowed to Boy-Geek pressure and stripped the song from every last bit of their material.

Even more hilarious, THIS particular assemblage makes zero sense. The parts with Rachel Platten bear no actual link (even a pretended link) to the footage. I'm guessing if I actually tracked down the regular video for the song, her scenes are just swiped whole cloth from that.

They DID grab and insert some actual (I think real world shots from events) of girls with the "S" temporary tattoo though. That's their intended linkage, I guess.

The mash up isn't really any different than videos with songs that are used in movies. Think "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" and Armegedon.

What do you think the chances are that we will see promos for the Flash and or Arrow during Supergirl? When has CBS ever advertised for its "competition"? (The skeptics have brought up the question in other forums.)

Edited by BkWurm1

Given that Nina Tassler was the one who mentioned "crossover promotion" or whatever her exact wording was, I have to think there's a decent chance that the CW shows will get spots (maybe 1 15-sec per week, one week Flash, another Arrow, etc) during Supergirl.  I would bet a trivial sum on it.

Also, Mehcad Brooks is doing backstage videos about the show now (and I'm sure he's smarter than the other guy who actually showed Melissa back-to in makeup and probably got in deep doodoo).  Sorry I couldn't find the original on Youtube.

I wonder if the ad during Flash was a one-off (just for the premiere), or will it be ongoing? Because maybe the only ads for Flash and Arrow will air only during the Supergirl premiere.