Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, tv echo said:

WHY SUPERGIRL'S FALL FINALE WASN'T MORE CONNECTED TO THE ARROWVERSE CROSSOVER
Terri Schwartz  Nov. 28, 2016
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/29/why-supergirls-fall-finale-wasnt-more-connected-to-the-arrowverse-crossover

"Part of what made it a little bit difficult was all the other shows – Flash, Arrow and Legends -- all have a subsequent episode to the crossovers, but with Supergirl, it was our midseason finale," he said. "We wanted to make sure that episode 8 of Supergirl spoke to what had been happening on the first seven episodes of Supergirl and not just as a tie in."

So Medusa with it's lickety split plot resolutions to J'onn turning White Martian, Mon-El dying, the question of is Lena evil and will Maggie date Alex was them  making sure that the mid season finale spoke to the previous season stuff?  And that's the best they could do?  They would have been better off dealing with J'onn later since they barely touched on that story and there was no need to rush Maggie and Alex at all.  Resolving the issues aren't going to bring back the new viewers.  Why not tease all these future juicy storylines that everyone should tune back in for when the show returns from break?  

Invasion! Crossover Won't Have Huge Impact on Supergirl Going Forward
Russ Burlingame   Nov. 28, 2016
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/11/29/invasion-crossover-wont-have-huge-impact-on-supergirl-going-forw/

The Dominators Will Show Up Again On Supergirl After Invasion Crossover
Russ Burlingame   Nov. 28, 2016
http://comicbook.com/2016/11/29/the-dominators-will-show-up-again-on-supergirl-after-invasion-cr/

The part about the Dominators being used on Supergirl later makes me think that they are the mysteriously cloaked aliens looking for Mon-el.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

"Kara, Alex, and Winn go on an intergalactic road trip" sounds like the start of a joke. That should actually be kind of fun.

can we drop Mon-El off at the nearest space cantina?

I know this is cranky and premature, but I continue to dislike the way the show has done a 180 from last season on how commonplace aliens and apparently now space travel are. imo it minimizes the pathos of Kara and J'onn's situation and that does neither character any favors.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

The fact that even CEG is getting renewed makes me think that someone in charge at the CW has a desperate phobia around development meetings.  Regardless, Supergirl's ratings definitely merit the pickup (and, as @icewolf said, the likely 4th season courtesy of the syndication gods... although they might have to throw in some extras to make that a sure thing since her existing seasons have been on the short side).

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Stuffy said:

One of the CW bigwigs said they renewed both Jane and CEG because of their positive critical reviews.

Doesn't hurt that they both have a Golden Globe under their belts. That's enough to push them into a syndication-length run at least. (On the CW, anyway.)

• Love 2

ComicBookResources.com's write-up of Kreisberg's comments on Supergirl and The Flash from the TCAs. *Spoilers* for both shows, but also some non-spoilery info.

On finding story paths and consistent tones that differ from the DC films in production and development that often feature overlapping characters while still not limiting things to “lighter” interpretations:

I don’t really know what the future holds for DC movies. I only know what’s happened. Whether it was a DC movie, or a “Star Wars” movie, or a Marvel movie, we try to avoid things that are sort of already out there.

I think that we have such an amazing cast on “Supergirl.” They can handle just about anything. I think that the darker tones sometimes work a lot better once you’ve got a few years under your belt, where you really do care about these people. So that when things take a bit of a darker twist, it feels a little bit more earned and it doesn’t just feel like, “Now it’s time to torture your characters.” So I think the tone of “Supergirl” will stay consistent throughout the season. So we’ll see what happens in the future.

6 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

Doesn't hurt that they both have a Golden Globe under their belts. That's enough to push them into a syndication-length run at least. (On the CW, anyway.)

And as TV Grim Reaper pointed out, they're both CBS-produced shows, of which the WB CW has a shortage so they tend to get bonus points toward renewal.

• Love 1

More info on the musical crossover with The Flash:

The CW on Friday announced that the highly anticipated two-part musical crossover between Supergirl and The Flash will air Monday, March 20 (8/7c) and Tuesday, March 21 (8/7c). As with the network’s recent “Heroes v. Aliens” saga, the crossover will start at the end of Supergirl, saving most of the musical action for The Flash‘s portion of the event, appropriately titled “Duet.”

:-/

The Supergirl part is going to get shortchanged again?

I was hoping this would be a real two part crossover. Hopefully next year there can be a crossover mainly in National City. 

Spoiler

It worries me that all the DEO characters except Alex are involved (it makes sense that James isn't there)? I hope she's all right. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1
On 1/20/2017 at 3:15 PM, Oreo2234 said:

I was hoping this would be a real two part crossover. Hopefully next year there can be a crossover mainly in National City. 

Reveal hidden contents

It worries me that all the DEO characters except Alex are involved (it makes sense that James isn't there)? I hope she's all right. 

Agreed about Alex. It's long past time that she met some of the other Arrowverse characters. She was absent for the first SG-Flash crossover, and she wasn't involved with the

three four night crossover.
  • Love 2
On 1/26/2017 at 2:52 AM, teenj12 said:

Hide contents

Agreed about Alex. It's long past time that she met some of the other Arrowverse characters. She was absent for the first SG-Flash crossover, and she wasn't involved with the

three four night crossover.

Yeah but Mon-el gets to meet them  UGH I'm growing to resent him. I like Winn so I'm not complaining about him going but ALEX not Mon-el should be going. Pisses me off 

• Love 2

I don't really agree with much of this article, but it's an ...interesting take on the show and the 'Berlanti-verse' shows: 'How the CW Mastered the Superhero Rom-Com'

We were not misled, as Supergirl has become astoundingly reliant on rom-com ideas ever since. It is, of course, impossible to ignore the fact that it's also the only woman-led member of the quartet. The show has rated better with female viewers than most superhero shows, and although we shouldn't generalize — plenty of men love rom-coms, plenty of women love superheroes, and a ton of people love both — it's not unreasonable to suspect the creators hoped to achieve a more balanced audience by pulling from the rom-com genre, which has often been targeted at women in a way that superhero fiction hasn't. Whatever the motivation, the tropes are right there on the surface. Kara is forever trapped between suitors, from maturely chill James Olsen to nerdily anxious Winn Schott and, of course, sweet-but-dumb hunk Mon-El. Romance, of course, does not a rom-com make — such love triangles (and quadrangles) could simply lead us to a prime-time soap territory. But Supergirl is relentlessly light and goofy, thank goodness.

I can see what the author is saying about the shows including some "rom-com" elements, but I really don't think any of them can be labeled rom-coms. Now, Lois & Clark, that was a genuine superhero rom-com.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

Not a fan of his...I loved H:TLJ when I was a kid but Sorbo is, um, not a great actor and from what I've heard kind of a dick. This casting gets a "meh" from me.

I'm with you. Not excited about this casting at all.

Yeah.... the nostalgic part of me kind of is looking forward to seeing hold Hercules again, despite his limits as an actor and I enjoyed him spoofing himself on "Don't Trust the B-- in Apartment 23" years ago, but I've heard some very unflattering things about Kevin Sorbo lately.  Even looking past his political views (which I personal disagree with), I remember hearing things like he was the reason that Andromeda started sucking, because he turn it into less of an ensemble and more about him (hence some "Kirkules" jokes.)  Granted, that won't happen here, but it still sours me on him.

It is interesting that between him, Lexa Doig as Talia and Steve Bacic on Arrow's latest episode, it now seems like Berlanti's shows are going after all the Andromeda cast members.  It use to be them going after all the former Spartacus actors!

• Love 2

Someone besides me watched Andromeda?

Although, I didn't watch much after the thematic changeover, particularly since my local station put it on after the late news on Saturday and my brain wasn't engaging at those hours.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Someone besides me watched Andromeda?

Although, I didn't watch much after the thematic changeover, particularly since my local station put it on after the late news on Saturday and my brain wasn't engaging at those hours.

It lost me about an episode into the final season. No idea what happened since, no plans to EVER find out. I did like Sorbo in Hercules, though, and his cameo in Don't Trust the B, and he was okay in the DTV Walking Tall movie I saw him in, so I think he might be... adequate.  (Looking forward to Teri Hatcher, though. Hope to see her teeth marks on all manner of scenery.)

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

I'm anticipating that those Lego tie-ins will happen on all the DC shows this week.

I forgot to post the link here but I did post an article in the Arrow and Flash Media threads. 

David Harewood interview:

IGN: Looking back at the first half of the season, it seems like we're getting to see J'onn in his Martian form a lot more this year. Does that make your job more difficult, just with the added special effects work?

Harewood: No, no. I want to see the green guy more, myself. I think it's great to show those elements of him, especially since there became fewer and fewer of them last season. It's difficult because I'm playing somebody who I'm not through the use of CG. It's can be a little bit of a frustrating character to play because it's never quite who you are, if you know what I mean. But I love putting on the costume. That never really gets old. I would like to see him in his Martian form a lot more. It's brilliant - what they're doing is amazing - but it's still difficult to get emotion into that character because of the CG performance. What they tend to do is when you want there to be real emotions, it has to be the actor. With the image, it can be the CG guy. So it's pretty much up to them.

... IGN: In your mind, why do you think he takes the name Cyborg Superman? Doe he have a fixation on Superman as he makes his return?

Harewood: I know the story behind the comic books. Obviously, that's not necessarily the story being told on Supergirl. Like I said, I'm just playing the old Hank Henshaw that's been genetically enhanced. I'm not really asking myself too many questions about the mythology, because I think the mythology is a lot more complex than we can get into in our show. It's probably for the best that we read what's on the page and I make my acting choices based on what's on the page rather than what's in the mythology, because the mythology is different. That could cause me some difficulty if I follow the comics, so I'm just trying to to read what's on the page and keep all those questions and stuff like that buttoned up as much as I can. They lead to more questions which can unravel what you're doing.

• Love 1