Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: A'ohe kahi e pe'e ai (Nowhere To Hide)

• Start Topic

The island of O'ahu goes on lockdown when Five-0 hunts a terrorist who starts using weaponized drones on civilians. Meanwhile, McGarrett and Danno must go for a mandated Review with a psychologist, resulting in a session which looks a lot like couples therapy.

Let me know what the translation is, and I'll add it.

• Love 1

I know a lot of people like the whole "they act like a married couple" back and forth schtick, but I'm not one of them.  It's getting old.  And can they please have Danny stop whining and complaining all the time?  If he's so unhappy in Hawaii then he can just leave.  Didn't Rachel move away to Vegas?  It seems Grace splits her time between Vegas and Hawaii.  Danny could move back to Jersey, the flight would be a lot shorter, easier and cheaper for Grace.

I find it poor that if they are supposedly having psych evals that these are not one-on-one meetings with the psychologist.  But nope, we need to have them doing their tired married couple routine.

Wellllll, now I'm paranoid about drones coming out of nowhere and gunning down me or the ones I love.  Thank you show.

The opening, what with the deserted city and beaches and "Aloha Oe" playing" was creepy has hell and well done.

And it looks like Jerry is going to be vindicated in his conspiracy theories, doesn't it?

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

How many people would seriously leave their car doors open even if they were running to hide for their lives?  Not me!  I want a live battery in my car when I get back and I want the car to actually be where I left it!

• Love 2

Was the plot totally beyond belief?  Yes.  Did I enjoy the episode thoroughly?  Yes!  Friday night is made for pure escapism.  The bad guys all went down, the scenery was stunning, and, best of all, the entire cast was featured.  

• Love 15

Was the plot totally beyond belief? Yes. Did I enjoy the episode thoroughly? Yes! Friday night is made for pure escapism. The bad guys all went down, the scenery was stunning, and, best of all, the entire cast was featured.

My sentiments, exactly! It was batshit bonkers, but the action was spectacular, the scenery was beautiful as ever, and I really got a sense of that Ohana McGarrett mentioned in the opening. Lots of fun, and a great Friday night wind-down.

• Love 10
How many people would seriously leave their car doors open even if they were running to hide for their lives?  Not me!  I want a live battery in my car when I get back and I want the car to actually be where I left it!

I thought that too. And why leave their drinks! You might as well bring them along.

I am all for more Ian Anthony Dale shirtless scenes. And I will take ones with shirts too.

Edited by redsox7819
  • Love 1

I know a lot of people like the whole "they act like a married couple" back and forth schtick, but I'm not one of them. It's getting old. And can they please have Danny stop whining and complaining all the time? If he's so unhappy in Hawaii then he can just leave. Didn't Rachel move away to Vegas? It seems Grace splits her time between Vegas and Hawaii. Danny could move back to Jersey, the flight would be a lot shorter, easier and cheaper for Grace.

I find it poor that if they are supposedly having psych evals that these are not one-on-one meetings with the psychologist. But nope, we need to have them doing their tired married couple routine.

Yes, Rachel moved to Vegas, with Stan & their son Charles (who I still suspect is actually Danny's child, just as Rachel said in the S1 Finale when she told Danny she was pregnant... Which she had to because they were sleeping together at the time). They moved there for Stan's job.

Grace actually doesn't split her time between Honolulu & Vegas. According to the custody modification filed by Danny, after Rachel filed to modify her custody so Grace had to move to Vegas, Grace shouldn't be made to live wherever Rachel wants anymore because she's getting to the age where she's starting to have meaningful friends, a life of her own, & "roots" she shouldn't have to give up if she doesn't want to. He filed asking the Judge to rule Grace couldn't be made to move off-island anymore just because Rachel was. (S2 Finale)

In S3 (I think) they finally went to court on the custody issue. Steve was trying to testify on Danny's behalf, but his cellphone went off (embarrassingly) with a call from Governor Denning about a case--his friend the Congressman was believed to have killed a prostitute he slept with, but he was set up by Wo Fat who had "bought" the Congressman's election opponent (who, I think, was the real killer). Anyway, the Judge ruled in favor of Danny's custody modification--including that Grace could no longer be taken off-island by Rachel for reasons connected to custody. Grace's custody is now basically flipped from how it started--Danny now has Physical Custody (Grace lives with him) & Rachel has visitation, which apparently entails Rachel going to Grace in Hawaii for it instead of Grace going to Rachel in Vegas.

And that's apparently what happened in S4: In the ep where Danny & Amber Vitale slept together, biblically, in the Williams house & Grace came home early & discovered them together afterward (I think it was also the ep where Steve & Danny eventually became trapped in the building collapse), when they were discovered Danny asked what Grace was doing home so early. She said it was because Rachel's plane for Vegas had to leave earlier than expected. So, presumably, Grace spends visitations with Rachel in a hotel in Honolulu & was expected to be gone for a few hours to another night longer.

As for the ep, I thought it was kickass, I loved the session with the psychologist, & I'm looking forward to the rest of S5 if Ep 501 is anything to go by. But that may just be me.

• Love 1

I love the addition of Jorge Garcia as a regular cast member along with Chi McBride.  The drone going into the plane was all kinds of silly win, except I thought he'd have to run down the street to keep it in range. LOL out of all the absurdness that was what I was worried about.

Cannot believe Danny thinks he's going to take that car into the body shop for all those bullet holes?

And very cool that the show's taking the "conspiracy" theories and running with them, for now.

Loved it when the girl cop punched the guy, she's beautiful. Liked the individual "situations" everyone was in at the end, too. Some things to look forward to as the season progresses.

Only thing missing was McGarrett shirtless. Dayum.

Edited by Jlina
  • Love 2

Was the plot totally beyond belief?  Yes.  Did I enjoy the episode thoroughly?  Yes!  Friday night is made for pure escapism.  The bad guys all went down, the scenery was stunning, and, best of all, the entire cast was featured.  

It was the end of the SWAT movie with Samuel L Jackson. Having once carried a M60 machine gun  I just spent the entire episode wonder how such a small drone could possibly carry that much ammo.

I don't know about setting up a serial with Jerry, Lieutenant Kelly and Detective Williams, they always got in trouble with the continuing Garrett stuff. Stand alone episodic TV is classic for a reason. Especially when plots start collapsing under their absurdness.

I enjoyed it, liked seeing Adam, Jorge Garcia, the new addition to the scientist team that I remember from Gossip Girl.

That's Amanda Setton as Dr. Mindy Shaw. She was also in last season's The Crazy Ones, on CBS, with the late (still can't believe I'm saying that) Robin Williams & Sarah Michelle Gellar. She played Lauren in that.

• Love 1

I thought it was their best episode in a long time. It was a lot of fun - love the addition of Jorge Garcia. 

I am looking forward to the  story lines they set up for Kono, Danny and Chin.  Looks like it's going to be very good season.

So what's the over/under on Adam's life expectancy now?

Probably not too good, what with that target they painted on his back.

• Love 4

I thought this ep was far fetched, wasn't my fave.  I was intrigued by the cliffhangers for the characters (Danny/bro, Jerry, Chin), except for Kono and Adam. I don't buy them as a couple. 

Edited by dirtydi

I really enjoyed it and I haven't been a regular viewer in a while.  It was fun, fast pace action and I enjoyed being able to escape and forget about my day for a bit.

there are plenty of realistic shows out there if you want that, but I enjoyed that this one was different and the moment with Danny and Steve in therapy session was so funny as you could tell it was deep with all the non truth being thrown around.  I don't know if I would buy Danny if he wasn't complaining and in some ways this show is a throw back to the old "Starsky & Hutch" series.  Starsky always complained unless it was something serious then he wouldn't  say a word, so this is how I see Danny. 

The ending definitely made me wonder what will happen next and yep I could see a big X painted on Adam's back. 

Looking forward to more and I haven't thought that in awhile.  :)

• Love 1

The opening was interesting in a Breaking Bad kind of way, but of course the plot and acting were the usual subpar level. I mainly watch this show because I love Hawaii so much, even though I haven't been there for 30 years. Some of this crew can act, but Grace Park is the worst. She always sounds like she is reading monotonously from the script. Still, this show isn't meant to be anything more than eye candy and absurdity, and it does the job.

• Love 1

If this show was hardcore, Adam would have been shot right then and there as Kono was asking him if they are safe together. The answer is clearly no, he's a "reformed" gangster with all kinds of skeletons in his closet and even the cleanest of characters on this show have had their past come back to haunt them multiple times.

Speaking of which, Danno should have shot the intruder in his house as soon as the guy started mwa-ha-ha-ing. It's only on TV that these guys have intricate, layered backup plans and leverage against the good guys. Picture this scenario instead: the guy's lackeys read about his death on the news. Well, looks like our boss got shot in the head. Should we go get revenge on his behalf? You know what, maybe we'll just sit this one out.

I know there's a gore quotient and this episode was already pushing it with the couple at the beginning but... a drone with dual 7.62mm military grade machineguns on it fires into a dense crowd and only kills 5 people?

Landing a jet in the middle of the road is also a spectacularly bad idea. The road isn't a runway. There's rocks and garbage and all kinds of stuff that can be sucked into a jet engine. In fact, how does this jet become disabled? By foreign object damage!

When did we become pals with the CIA again? When Kono is giving exposition about the Edward Snowden stand-in she talks about the CIA doing this and that as if she somehow heard these things directly. Didn't Steve recently gun down a CIA guy for telling yo mama jokes? And since when can CIA arrest people?

I'd like to see more of the big corruption and less of the mundane corruption. Jerry helping with investigations? Mundane violations of police procedure (although I certainly hope no one's property was damaged by that jet he crashed in downtown Honolulu!). Chin Ho Kelly with $25 million? Big corruption! Go for it! Forget yet another Chin set-up plot. Go Vic Mackey Shield-style on this one. Chin's so tired of being accused of corruption that he just went ahead with it. "I have your $25 million, what are you going to do about it?" is a much more exciting plot than "Please sign this paperwork so IA will leave me alone!"

• Love 1

I enjoyed it, liked seeing Adam, Jorge Garcia, the new addition to the scientist team that I remember from Gossip Girl.

That's Amanda Setton as Dr. Mindy Shaw. She was also in last season's The Crazy Ones, on CBS, with the late (still can't believe I'm saying that) Robin Williams & Sarah Michelle Gellar. She played Lauren in that.

I did not even recognize Amanda Setton - must be the more conservative look and dress that threw me.  She was under utilized in the Mindy Project, but I thought she was great as Lauren in The Crazy Ones.

• Love 1

I was a big fan of Hawaii Five O but I think they have jumped the shark. The body count on this episode made it seem like I was watching FX. I mean you have to catch "Justified" or "Sons of Anarchy" to see five or six people getting killed each episode without a care in the world. Seriously?

If you catch the original show they didn't kill that many people in an entire season. I know our culture and society has been debased beyond recognition but is it really necessary for every little show to be a murder fest?

• Love 2

If this show was hardcore, Adam would have been shot right then and there as Kono was asking him if they are safe together. The answer is clearly no, he's a "reformed" gangster with all kinds of skeletons in his closet and even the cleanest of characters on this show have had their past come back to haunt them multiple times.

Speaking of which, Danno should have shot the intruder in his house as soon as the guy started mwa-ha-ha-ing. It's only on TV that these guys have intricate, layered backup plans and leverage against the good guys. Picture this scenario instead: the guy's lackeys read about his death on the news. Well, looks like our boss got shot in the head. Should we go get revenge on his behalf? You know what, maybe we'll just sit this one out.

I know there's a gore quotient and this episode was already pushing it with the couple at the beginning but... a drone with dual 7.62mm military grade machineguns on it fires into a dense crowd and only kills 5 people?

Landing a jet in the middle of the road is also a spectacularly bad idea. The road isn't a runway. There's rocks and garbage and all kinds of stuff that can be sucked into a jet engine. In fact, how does this jet become disabled? By foreign object damage!

When did we become pals with the CIA again? When Kono is giving exposition about the Edward Snowden stand-in she talks about the CIA doing this and that as if she somehow heard these things directly. Didn't Steve recently gun down a CIA guy for telling yo mama jokes? And since when can CIA arrest people?

I'd like to see more of the big corruption and less of the mundane corruption. Jerry helping with investigations? Mundane violations of police procedure (although I certainly hope no one's property was damaged by that jet he crashed in downtown Honolulu!). Chin Ho Kelly with $25 million? Big corruption! Go for it! Forget yet another Chin set-up plot. Go Vic Mackey Shield-style on this one. Chin's so tired of being accused of corruption that he just went ahead with it. "I have your $25 million, what are you going to do about it?" is a much more exciting plot than "Please sign this paperwork so IA will leave me alone!"

Landing a jet in the middle of the road is also a spectacularly bad idea

Ahh... But it's happened in real life at least once, most notably involving Southern Airways flight 242, a passenger jet in a storm-related emergency, due to foreign object damage, in April, 1977:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Airways_Flight_242

And yes, it ended up then as a spectacularly bad idea (fatalities on the flight & on the ground in the plane's landing path). But in real life they had no real choice besides that if they wanted to try & save anyone aboard.

In the case of the show, it was--of course--done as 1 of Stunt Coordinator Jeff Cadiente, & his team,'s spectacular stunts which are a staple of the show. I believe I remember reading, this summer, that they closed down Kalakaua Avenue in Honolulu (a big tourist attraction & their equivalent to Beverly Hills' Rodeo Drive, etc.) early 1 Sunday morning to film that scene. It was something of a big deal in Honolulu/the Honolulu newspaper when they did it.

• Love 1

I thought this episode was over the top, but still enjoyable.  As I expected I would, I hated the couples therapy session.  It went exactly how I thought it would.  I guess I'm just thankful they didn't continue it throughout the entire episode somehow, and use the tired trope of characters sitting on a couch recounting exciting or traumatic events that just happened.

I agree that the opening sequence was implausible.  People wouldn't leave their car doors just hanging open like that.  They would close them.  Heck, if I was driving and I heard an announcement to get inside, I'd probably DRIVE somewhere.  I wouldn't just abandon my car in the middle of the highway and run into a building.  People wouldn't leave their books and beach bags on the beach.  They'd take them with them.

I did like the ending with the various hints at what will happen next.  I think Adam is doomed.  Every single relationship on this show fails.

• Love 2

Liked the beginning with Steve and Danny in therapy,(Review). Danno could cut back on his whining. He is not Miss Daisy was cute. His poor Camaro got shot up, even if it looked bullet proof at times.

Wouldn't more then the couple that got shot(Todd Sands/Mindy Powell) see it up on top of the hill? Johnathon Redmond controling the Drone made me think about Ian Wright(shot by Wo Fat last episode). Dr Mindy Shaw helping Max was cute. Will she replace Catherine? Didn't recognize her as Lauren from "The Crazy Ones", I'm slipping.

Jerry taking control of drone was good. He was a good driver. Danno calling him

"autotron" was funny. He was funny in his helmet and said he felt the force, lol.

I have never been when air raid sirens were going off, but would everyone just jump out of cars and run, doors open, and some probably still running? Wouldn't Emergency Services want the streets as clear as they could get?

Was amazing to that that airplane landed on the street and didn't hit a tree, pole, or wires? After being grounded it slid to a stop awful quick. Good to that all the cars weren't in their way.

Kamekone's "Get Bettah" balloon was funny.

Steve should have helped Jerry on his case after he was released from the hospital. He had been wounded. The case could be interesting.

Seems like a lot of cases coming up. No talk about Steve and his moms case,and is Catherine still in the foreign country? Shelburne. Kono and Adam still have to worry about the gang. Marko Reyes visits Danno about his brother. Chin Ho watched by internal affairs about the money his Uncle took.

I loved this episode. Yes, it was over the top but who cares? It's TV and it was a very entertaining episode. I was actually invested for the whole hour which is normally not the case. This is sometimes a show I have on in the background while I'm doing something else.  I also loved the beginning and the way it was shot, it really set the stage for the episode.   Jorge Garcia is such a perfect fit on this show and his part of the paranoid techie geek, I just I love it.   Unfortunatley, both drones and mass shootings are a part of life now it seems, though the concept of them being combined is terrifying.

The best part for me? Adam back on my screen....sigh.  I am afraid for his safety though. I am frankly surprised he's made it this long. I expected him to be killed of a few seasons ago.  I really love the Adam / Kono relationship.

• Love 1

I prefer my episodic TV shows to stay that way. I do not like the multi-episode arcs. None of the future story lines perked my interest, especially Danny's.

The therapy scene bugged me because the therapist failed to ask the most obvious question - if Danny is so bothered by Steve's driving, why does he let it happen? It's Danny's car, Steve drives it because Danny lets him.

For those who missed it, or those who just wanna watch it again, CBS is repeating this ep this Saturday night, February 21st, at 8PM Eastern/7PM Central (check local listings outside of the Eastern & Central time zones for the correct time in your area).