Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

I echo others in being disappointed with this show. I was looking forward to it but it was just ehh. I will give it a few episodes because I have learned not to judge a show just based off the pilot. 

I like Joshua Jackson and Don Johnson but they might not be able to save this/

Being a Ryan Murphy show is both good and bad lol. So far I am getting neither vibes it was just boring. 

• Like 5

I wasn't familiar with Joshua Jackson or Phillipa Soo, and I wasn't impressed with either one in the first episode. 

I like Don Johnson but I'm not sure if he can save this.  I'll give it one or two more episodes before I decide whether to bail.  

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I wasn't familiar with Joshua Jackson or Phillipa Soo, and I wasn't impressed with either one in the first episode. 

Phillipa Soo is best known for being part of the original Broadway cast of Hamilton.  She is amazingly talented, and way too good for this dreck.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, chaifan said:

Phillipa Soo is best known for being part of the original Broadway cast of Hamilton.  She is amazingly talented, and way too good for this dreck.

I was never interested in Broadway shows, including Hamilton.   She might be talented, but I'm not impressed with her on this show.  Perhaps she should stick with Broadway.

• Like 1
(edited)

If he's really dead, then this isn't the Love Boat at all, it's just a reboot of Lost.  Boring, no thank you. 

I prefer it just to be a cheesy medical dramedy with bad love triangles set on a real boat where everyone is alive, please. 

ETA: Joshua Jackson has been in 4 hit shows/movies that I can think of off the top of my head, starting with the Mighty Ducks movies when he was a kid. Then Dawson's Creek, Fringe, and The Affair. He's been in other things too, so I'm sure people probably know of him more than they realize. 

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Like 6

I love Joshua Jackson. I usually watch him in anything I can and just finished watching him in Bad Doctor on Max.  He's so so good.

That said, this show is not good. He is being written as a Marty Sue character. Perfect, charming, the girls love him the guys want to be him, everybody loves him almost immediately, he is skilled beyond the telling of it, he was patient zero (of all things!)) during covid, pulled out of it and apparently has no problems from it, he can board a ski/boat thingy and be the one who finds the man overboard, etc etc etc. It's silly. It's not realistic in very over the top ways.  Aside from the male nurse's petty jealousy the rest of the main cast is superperfect also.

I love Joshua Jackson. But I don't think I can go with him this time.  Watching this so far just kills me.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

If he's really dead, then this isn't the Love Boat at all, it's just a reboot of Lost.  Boring, no thank you. 

I prefer it just to be a cheesy medical dramedy with bad love triangles set on a real boat where everyone is alive, please. 

ETA: Joshua Jackson has been in 4 hit shows/movies that I can think of off the top of my head, starting with the Mighty Ducks movies when he was a kid. Then Dawson's Creek, Fringe, and The Affair. He's been in other things too, so I'm sure people probably know of him more than they realize. 

On 2nd thoughts maybe you're right. I was intrigued by the idea that he was hallucinating it but I know I'd get extremely annoyed by the teases and non answers for as long as this show runs. It's probably better for it to be a cheesy dramedy.

1 hour ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I love Joshua Jackson. I usually watch him in anything I can and just finished watching him in Bad Doctor on Max.  He's so so good.

That said, this show is not good. He is being written as a Marty Sue character. Perfect, charming, the girls love him the guys want to be him, everybody loves him almost immediately, he is skilled beyond the telling of it, he was patient zero (of all things!)) during covid, pulled out of it and apparently has no problems from it, he can board a ski/boat thingy and be the one who finds the man overboard, etc etc etc. It's silly. It's not realistic in very over the top ways.  Aside from the male nurse's petty jealousy the rest of the main cast is superperfect also.

I love Joshua Jackson. But I don't think I can go with him this time.  Watching this so far just kills me.

He does feel very much "The Main Character" with main character writing syndrome. I really hope they give him some flaws or some of that Ryan Murphy satirical bite. It should also help if they give the rest of the very small cast something to do other than react to him. Posters above speculated that his mysterious past may have been as a Navy SEAL or something. I really hope not. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

On 2nd thoughts maybe you're right. I was intrigued by the idea that he was hallucinating it but I know I'd get extremely annoyed by the teases and non answers for as long as this show runs. It's probably better for it to be a cheesy dramedy.

He does feel very much "The Main Character" with main character writing syndrome. I really hope they give him some flaws or some of that Ryan Murphy satirical bite. It should also help if they give the rest of the very small cast something to do other than react to him. Posters above speculated that his mysterious past may have been as a Navy SEAL or something. I really hope not. 

The SEAL speculation was aimed at the Captain. I think because at this point American society adds "SEAL" in their head to anyone in the Navy who wasn't a fighter pilot 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

He was excellent in Bad Doctor. He also was Reese Witherspoon’s husband in Little Fires Everywhere.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I haven't seen any of the shows listed in posts above that Joshua Jackson was in. 

*climbs back into cave* 😆

Neither have I.

I will probably watch another episode or two, until my main shows are back but I wasn't thrilled with this.

• Like 3
(edited)
On 10/2/2024 at 1:14 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

T

I can't find any show called Bad Doctor on max or anything else.  Can you clarify? 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
(edited)
15 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Dr. Death on Peacock, is my guess. 

Thank you.  I saw that a few years ago.  It was so creepy we stopped watching after one or two episodes. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I can't find any show called Bad Doctor on max or anything else.  Can you clarify? 

I'm sorry.  Bad Doctor is a different series, same topic, on Netflix, which I also watched.  I should have said Dr Death on Peacock, not Max. Could have sworn it was Max but I just checked and it's on Peacock. There are two seasons and Jackson's is one of them. Dr Duntsch in Texas was his character in season one.

I have way too many streaming services.

As for the current show, if this is a set up for someone's hallucination of after death or near death experience that would be cool if the lead up didn't last forever. Like maybe the old ship doctor's and how he wishes his life was and how the ship was (but actually wasn't). However I don't see how you make that work for an audience in a series. A movie maybe, where the payoff would be quick, but a series would be annoying in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/30/2024 at 9:47 PM, chaifan said:

I feel so bad for Phillipa Soo.  What a remarkable waste of talent.  oooh, a female professional with a giant chip on her shoulder, pissed because she got passed over for some cowboy with a giant ego.  Nope, never seen that on screen before.  yawn.  I really thought the doctor was going to pursue the male nurse, the way the scene in his room started out.  And then I realized he wanted to buddy up to find women?  eww. 

And this made her look dumb.  I love nurse practitioners but I think she said she had the same training as a doctor. That is not the case. Of course they're going to hire a good MD.

The doc hitting on the male nurse wouldn't necessarily have been better from a supervisory position but it would have been more interesting. 

I've seen Joshua Jackson in one or two things and he was fine but I don't have any nostalgia for him or think he's must see to the point I'd watch a bad show for him hoping it'd get better.

But the more I visit this thread, the more I realize how absurdly attracted I am to watching a show that is ridiculously over-the-top bad that it's mockable.   I haven't had one of those in a while.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Yeah that NP has the same training as a doctor so why not me line was stupid. NP's can do a lot and I like them but they are not the same as doctors in all ways. Physicians are more highly trained and if you are out in the ocean and might need all kinds of serious things diagnosed and treated I would like to at least have a physician with full training at the head of the med unit and not just an NP there. And this super duper extra special fancy smancy bespoke cruise ship would not skip on folks wanting an actual doctor who can actually do major intrusive things in an emergency.

Joshua Jackson gets me in the door. Then the script and writing gets me to live there. So far I'm in the door.  But it doesn't look good for moving in.

• Like 2

I finally watched this and was disappointed but will give it another couple of episodes to try to pull me in.

There are lots of flaws, but the most striking was that the ship only sails during a 'season' and that during the off-season the entire crew is off until the new season.  Ships get repositioned according to seasons and itineraries.  For example, ships that cruise Alaska during the summer often cruise the Caribbean during the other seasons.  If the captain had made a clearer connection to that concept it could be sold as 'we're now ready for our Mexico season.'

I thought it was too much to have three medical emergencies during the one episode.  Yes, the Love Boat always had three stories/plots during an episode, but they developed back stories and characters however briefly.  The only couple in which I was interested was Rachel Dratch and her husband.  Didn't care about broken penus and really didn't care about being high on molly and accidently jumping overboard guy.  And, what would happen if a crew member had an emergency or a passenger who stayed on board while the three medical staff were on party mode?

And, as I don't really have any vested interest in the medical staff at this point, the romantic entanglements are just boring to me.

Oh well, I'll give it a couple more watches...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But the more I visit this thread, the more I realize how absurdly attracted I am to watching a show that is ridiculously over-the-top bad that it's mockable.   I haven't had one of those in a while

Fire Country is coming back soon!

• LOL 2
On 10/1/2024 at 9:36 AM, Elizzikra said:

I thought it was awful. I like Joshua Jackson and I LOVE Phillipa Soo but they are both wasted here.

This is how I felt. I loved JJ on Fringe and of course PS is wonderful. I don't care much for Don Johnson, and I didn't think he was great here. Something about his line deliveries just hit me wrong 

It was ridiculous that anyone would praise JJ's "dancing" in that scene, and that made me feel less invested in the COVID part of his story. 

I'll hope that the writing gets better. The love triangle seemed stupid to me. The "too much shrimp" interested me as a cruise-related illness, but I'm not sure I'll stick around. 

• Like 1
On 10/3/2024 at 10:46 PM, Dirge said:

This is how I felt. I loved JJ on Fringe and of course PS is wonderful. I don't care much for Don Johnson, and I didn't think he was great here. Something about his line deliveries just hit me wrong 

It was ridiculous that anyone would praise JJ's "dancing" in that scene, and that made me feel less invested in the COVID part of his story. 

I'll hope that the writing gets better. The love triangle seemed stupid to me. The "too much shrimp" interested me as a cruise-related illness, but I'm not sure I'll stick around. 

It did make me wonder how much shrimp one would have to eat to get iodine poisoning...

I have a hard time watching actors that have beautiful singing voices... and they don't sing. It's fine. A singing NP wouldn't make a lot of sense... but I had the same issue with Jesse L. Martin on Law and Order. Phillipa Soo has a gorgeous voice and she is completely wasted on this show. I guess we all have bills to pay???

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

It did make me wonder how much shrimp one would have to eat to get iodine poisoning...

I don't know about iodine poisoning but I used to perform in an outdoor dram in North Carolina and we has an annual event called Crab Carnage--100 lbs. of crab, 100 lbs. of shrimp, 100 lbs. of fill-in-the-blank of whatever shellfish you like. I sat on the sand of our spit and ate a LOT of shrimp. And I developed pretty terrible hives. I remember being so miserable, I was using a fork to scrap the bottom of my feet. Shellfish are delicious but they come with a price. There'a a reason Judaism prohibits them, they are bottom feeders.

• Useful 1
On 10/3/2024 at 5:49 PM, Irlandesa said:

But the more I visit this thread, the more I realize how absurdly attracted I am to watching a show that is ridiculously over-the-top bad that it's mockable.   I haven't had one of those in a while.

On 10/3/2024 at 9:04 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Fire Country is coming back soon!

I agree that I can love something so cheesy that it's so bad it's good, but even Fire Country lost me. 🤣😉

I think I'll be able to give this show a few more episodes to decide.

(edited)
On 9/26/2024 at 10:33 PM, txhorns79 said:

I was thinking like a more upscale Love Boat, if the doctor was the star of the show. 

Oh, this! I was thinking like The Love Boat, but with more skin and overt sexytimes. Also diseases.

ETA: I couldn’t even hate-watch Fire Country. The preview alone made me roll my eyes so hard I saw stars. This one I might be able to give a chance. A slim one. 

Edited by Sandman
  • Like 1
On 9/28/2024 at 2:45 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

Did Nip/Tuck crash & burn? I don't think so, but mileage varies.

My odometer says Nip/Tuck was horrendous from the get-go.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Dr. Duntsch was not just a character in a show, he was a real-life monster responsible for multiple deaths and permanent physical damage to many people who came to him for help. He is rotting away in prison but got away with it for far too long. If you can stomach it, I highly recommend watching the series on Peacock - Jackson, Christian Slater, and Alec Baldwin are all three amazing in it.

Which is why when Phillipa Soo says that this guy seems overqualified, all I could think was she was right. Duntsch relied on people over valuing his abilities which led to him preying on people for years longer than he should have. Seriously, Jackson played him so well, I just cannot see him as an altruistic doctor anymore. All I see is the charismatic sociopath Duntsch.

As for the series itself, if the theories that this is his limbo, that could be interesting. If this is just a drama version of The Love Boat, it will lose its place in my viewing schedule very soon.

Edited by cmahorror