Type keyword(s) to search

The Paris Olympics: General Discussion And Anticipation

• Start Topic

If you hope to remain unspoiled but would still like to discuss yesterday's event or share your excitment about today's competition that you aren't able to watch, please do so here. 

This isn’t about an event, but that ad where the guy uses AI to help his daughter write a letter to Sydney Mclaughlin-Levrone is the worst.

Have your daughter write what is in her HEART.  And I’m so sure Sydney would be excited to get a letter written by a computer, rather than a little girl.  Total fail IMO.

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3

Is there a site that I can get results by event that is EASY to drill through? The Olympics.com site is awful (unless I'm missing something). I want to go to a sport and see the events for that sport, then drill into results for each event, and maybe see details on the athlete as well.

• Like 1

I don't know who made the decision at CBC to give Andi Petrillio, Perdita Felician, Craig McMorris and Waneek Horn-Miller the primetime slot. it feels like they are going for the Hockey Night in Canada vibe of having a round table but it bothers me. 

I just feel that this would have been better for Afternoon and then put Scott Russell in Primetime [my goodness i miss Brian Williams :( ]  with the rapport they are giving off.  I mean I LIKE McMorris when he calls Snowboarding, I like Felician (as a on the street reporter, and Petrillio when she is more serious and not this oh yeah we're besties vibe thing going on is okay. but whatever they are putting out there is not working for me.  Waneek though. she's cool. 

2 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Is there a site that I can get results by event that is EASY to drill through? The Olympics.com site is awful (unless I'm missing something). I want to go to a sport and see the events for that sport, then drill into results for each event, and maybe see details on the athlete as well.

Try the NBC Olympics Results site. I think it's quite easy to navigate.

https://results.nbcolympics.com/results

• Like 3
15 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Fully agree.  The site is awful.  The NBC site is better but it's obviously heavily American focused.  I use the CBC site if I want to easily see how Canada has been doing.

Question... I know in the past year or two there has been a big push/acceptance of renaming Turkey as Turkiye, because Turkiye has been insisting that they want their country name to appear as how it is known in their own language.

But the name in English has always been Turkey.  So I don't get why Turkey is dictating the name English-speaking countries use for them.  Switzerland is called Suisse by the Swiss.  Netherlands is called Nederland by the Dutch.  Belgium is called either Belgique or Belgie by its people, depending on what side of the country they are on.  All are referred to by the English names.

In international sport, the countries are usually referred to using the English language and the language of the host country.  So I'm curious as to why Turkey/Turkiye is the only one that insists on using their own local language name, and why the organizers capitulate.  It was the same way at the recent Euro 2024 tournament.  It seems almost like a politically correct thing to use the Turkiye name.  Not a big deal, I'm just curious.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Not a big deal, I'm just curious.

maybe they are tired of being called a Bird?
(legit. i have no idea). 

• LOL 1

My husband and I are watching Women's basketball rn.. USA vs Japan (recorded.)

USA is wearing white and Japan is in red. Both teams have white and red in their flags.

My question is...how do they decide which teams wear which colors?

I mean, could two teams be on the court in matching colors at the same time? I would have trouble following it, if so.

Does that ever happen, and if not, how is that avoided?🤔

Ps I'm not a sports nut, just an Olympic one, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Each team has a home and away uniform. At the draw for each pairing, one team is designated as the home team. That team gets first choice as to which uniform to wear. The other team then has to wear a uniform with contrasting colors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 5
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

USA is wearing white and Japan is in red. Both teams have white and red in their flags.

My question is...how do they decide which teams wear which colors?

USA is listed first making them the home team and Japan has to choose a uniform in a contrasting color. 

The home team being listed first is the international standard. Leagues in US, Canada and Japan list the home team second in everything but soccer. 

• Thanks 1

I will say CBC's coverage is really good. I am liking that more and more of their events are being called by former Olympians - and they are like. BRUTALLY honest. (while still being fair, i guess for a lack of a better word). like for the Canadians (men who won bronze) Alex Despatie and Jen Abel were like yeah if they win a medal - it's not because of their difficulty at all. and when the women made a big mistake, they were like yeup. we've been there. and explained how you overcome that etc.

this is going to sound really petty - but i really wish Andi Petrillio would just.. pick a hairstyle and go with it. I don't really get why - when her natural hair is so pretty - she sticks a very artificial crimped blond ponytail in her head. (which doesn't match her natural hair colour)and it just drives me nuts. Perdita Felician (who i always liked as an athlete) is really good about speaking up about the athletes and what the country/federation needs to do  - but her lisp does make it really difficult to understand her. (and i get it i have a bit of a speech impediment myself) but it's just frustrating because it just slows the entire conversation down. (i do think that's why she doens't really pop up as much). Craig McMorris is okayish. (i'm used to him w/snowboarding etc). but again Old Woman here - i Miss Brian Williams and Ron McLean.  

So this morning I was looking at the medal table on the internet & China were first with 11 gold medals while the USA were 5th & GB 6th both with 6 gold medals apiece, same on the BBC website as well as a few others that I looked at. 

But apparently just for American tv & the American audiences NBCs medal table has USA at the top with most total medals won at 31, France 2nd (on both tables) then China & GB.

Of course NBC couldn't have the USA anywhere but first in the medal table rather than China, honesty in journalism has no chance when you have to be this petty.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

I think the discussion you are trying to encourage is petty. American Network highlights American achievement for American audience. Wow. Groundbreaking. 

• Like 7
55 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I think the discussion you are trying to encourage is petty. American Network highlights American achievement for American audience. Wow. Groundbreaking. 

No need to get personal. You could have put your point across without the personal abuse but there you go.

Nothing to do with being petty as most of the websites I read are American as well. It has more to do with twisting the current results and doesn't help with the current Murica attitude of some people in the country, that much is obvious. 

People have mentioned the lack of coverage of other countries on tv but I expect coverage later in the day to highlight the achievements of the country the coverage is in & my question was only about the medal table, nothing else.

Don't like it then don't partake, simple & no need for name calling.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

There's always a disagreement over if the medal tables should be sorted by most Golds or most Overall. At this point I think it comes down to your preference, but NBC has always shown it as most Overall.

Edited by hjmugillecuty
  • Like 9
  • Useful 3

We often see other athletes watching the competitions - for example, at the Women's gymnastics all-around, there were many members of the USA men's basketball team there. Does anyone know how they manage to snag those seats? Does NBC have a group of seats they can let high-profile celebs and athletes use so they can show them on TV?

3 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

for example, at the Women's gymnastics all-around, there were many members of the USA men's basketball team there.

And almost all of them were watching Simone's floor exercise as captured by the camera lenses of their tiny phones rather than taking advantage of that opportunity of being in the audience.  Presumably so they can post "I was there" footage on their social media and rack up likes?  I will never understand this phenomenon of being too busy documenting one's experiences to actually live them.  Look up and around!

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

We often see other athletes watching the competitions - for example, at the Women's gymnastics all-around, there were many members of the USA men's basketball team there. Does anyone know how they manage to snag those seats? Does NBC have a group of seats they can let high-profile celebs and athletes use so they can show them on TV?

I attended the Lillehammer Winter Olympics and every venue had a section set aside for other athletes to attend.  As I recall, all they had to do was ask for tickets and they'd be admitted, they didn't have to pay,  There was even a separate concession area in Norway restricted to athletes where they could ger refreshments.  I sat next to the Canadians at the women's figure skating short program and they were so nice.  Kurt Browning, who finished out of the medals in the men's competition was particularly kind; talking to kids, signing autographs and posing for photos.  One young girl had a program and he took it from her and personally got a bunch of athletes to sign it for her before giving it back.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

And almost all of them were watching Simone's floor exercise as captured by the camera lenses of their tiny phones rather than taking advantage of that opportunity of being in the audience.  Presumably so they can post "I was there" footage on their social media and rack up likes?  I will never understand this phenomenon of being too busy documenting one's experiences to actually live them.  Look up and around!

I remember Adele stopping her concert to go 'sweetheart. i'm right here. you don't need to record it."

On 8/1/2024 at 12:39 PM, hjmugillecuty said:

There's always a disagreement over if the medal tables should be sorted by most Golds or most Overall. At this point I think it comes down to your preference, but NBC has always shown it as most Overall.

I think NBC shows it to how it most benefits them. I remember one winter olympics they didnt have like a TONNE - but they had a crap tonne of gold so they went through the gold route. but most times they go w/the most overall.  honestly it doesn't matter to me how you want to present how the country is doing. most medals. cool. most golds. cool. let's go back to the events lol

• Like 1

I noticed this headline on NPR "Paris Olympics TV ratings are up 79% over Tokyo Games, NBC says" .  Prior to the start of the Olympics a lot of the articles I was reading seemed to focus on the notion that no one was all the interested anymore and that people weren't going to watch.  Couple that with the wonky backlash to the Opening Ceremonies and I wasn't optimistic.  So glad I was wrong!

• Like 5

The Peacock coverage is excellent. For the first time since maybe the TripleCast (1992), we can see what we want. My spouse fenced and was a competitive K1 slalom paddler….we were able to see endless hours of all the fencing and white water. I played field hockey in college and get to enjoy the international game that would rarely even get mentioned. I also like watching stuff like team handball that just isn’t played here. 

I don’t watch gymnastics and hope some day the GOAT thing gets retired. It gets so old. 

• Like 3

I like Gold Zone, but the two guys they have hosting in the morning are awful. I end up muting it half the time when they're on. They really should just have the NFL Network guys host the whole thing.

On 8/2/2024 at 12:08 PM, Daisy said:

I think NBC shows it to how it most benefits them. I remember one winter olympics they didnt have like a TONNE - but they had a crap tonne of gold so they went through the gold route. but most times they go w/the most overall.

At the Beijing '22 Games, NBC used the overall medal count even though switching to the gold count would have placed the USA one spot higher on the medal table. Honestly, it all seems in keeping with American attitudes towards quantity over quality. We may not necessarily have the best stuff, but we sure do have a lot of it. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

The Peacock coverage is excellent. For the first time since maybe the TripleCast (1992), we can see what we want. My spouse fenced and was a competitive K1 slalom paddler….we were able to see endless hours of all the fencing and white water. I played field hockey in college and get to enjoy the international game that would rarely even get mentioned. I also like watching stuff like team handball that just isn’t played here. 

I don’t watch gymnastics and hope some day the GOAT thing gets retired. It gets so old. 

I agree, having Peacock has been fantastic.  I can pick what I want to see, and if I missed an event, often they have the replay up.  

I like being able to see events like the the kayak whitewater in its entirety.

I don’t care for Mike Tirico, and as always, there is too much focus by NBC on big name Americans.  The Olympics are more than just Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky.

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I agree, having Peacock has been fantastic.  I can pick what I want to see, and if I missed an event, often they have the replay up.  

I don’t care for Mike Tirico, and as always, there is too much focus by NBC on big name Americans.  The Olympics are more than just Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky.

Add me to the chorus. I've been very happy with the selections available on Peacock.  I usually prefer their broadcasters to the teams on NBC, too.  The ability to watch an entire competition and to be able to  see a replay shortly after it ends is also great.  I vaguely recall using Peacock last Olympics and not really liking it.  It seems vastly improved this go-round.

• Like 3

I've never understood ordering the medal table by gold only, as if silver/bronze don't matter. It seems more in keeping with the spirit of the Olympics to me to do total medals--it's not just winners and losers. NBC still shows the columns for each color, so it's very easy to see who has the most gold (and any time they show the table they usually mention it specifically). If I was in charge though, I would do some sort of weighted points system. Maybe such a thing exists out there somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Peacock might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I shouldn't have to subscribe to yet another thing just to watch the Olympics.  I should be able to watch it either on channels I already pay for, or on NBC's website with my Dish log in.  I haven't tried to watch everything, but the replays that I'd most like to see apparently aren't available to me.

• Like 7

Speaking of commentators, I think Laurie Hernandez does a great job with the gymnastics on the live broadcast.  However, the woman on the NBC replay - Samantha something - Is pretty awful IMO, she would not shut up in the middle of the routines!  Wait until they finish and talk over the replay if you must.

• Like 4
On 8/1/2024 at 7:31 AM, Shrek said:

So this morning I was looking at the medal table on the internet & China were first with 11 gold medals while the USA were 5th & GB 6th both with 6 gold medals apiece, same on the BBC website as well as a few others that I looked at. 

But apparently just for American tv & the American audiences NBCs medal table has USA at the top with most total medals won at 31, France 2nd (on both tables) then China & GB.

Of course NBC couldn't have the USA anywhere but first in the medal table rather than China, honesty in journalism has no chance when you have to be this petty.

Thoughts?

I mean, it sounds like you're saying that NBC is fudging the medal table to put thebUSA in first place, which seems a bit daft TBH. The medal table isn't something that any network can game for their country's audience, it is what it is, so I'm not following what you're trying to get at?

9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Peacock might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I shouldn't have to subscribe to yet another thing just to watch the Olympics.  I should be able to watch it either on channels I already pay for, or on NBC's website with my Dish log in.  I haven't tried to watch everything, but the replays that I'd most like to see apparently aren't available to me.

We have Peacock from the Tour de France and just figured we'd keep it for the Olympics but honestly? I'm watching and/or DVRing everything I want off of NNC, USA, and E! channels because those are the stations that carry what I really want to see. That said, I also have access to CNBC, and 611 and 612, the latter two of which seem to replay a lot of the bigger sports. They are also airing thr Games on two Spanish languages channels and there are about 8 channels I can watch/tape without paying for Peacock.

• Like 1
On 8/2/2024 at 6:06 PM, Crashcourse said:

Well, I'm not really surprised that the ratings are up after the pandemic slump during the Tokyo Olympics. 

I was thrilled we had the Tokyo Games when we did, we needed something unifying that was not pandemic related, IMO.

On 8/2/2024 at 6:09 PM, Dimity said:

I think the real surprise is how much they're up by.

I'm thrilled that Paris is bringing us all together! 

10 hours ago, blackwing said:

Totally agree! I think NBC does a great job bringing a lot of things together fir any Olympics  but Paris in particular has been a fantastic effort. Thst said, nobody will ever fill Bob Costas' shoes so I try to give Tirico some space but it'll never be Costas!

My biggest beef with NBC Olympics is the fawning over celebs. I don't give even half a micron of a fuck which celebs are at an event, nor do I give a shit what Snoop Dogg and Flava Flav are up to in Paris. I want to learn about athletes - both America  and from other countries. I want to know about the athletes who have no chance to medal but for whom just getting to the Games is the pinnacle of success for them. So 86 all the bullshit coverage of Snoop, Flava, Mikey from SNl, etc. and show me more about the athletes!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, surfgirl said:

My biggest beef with NBC Olympics is the fawning over celebs. I don't give even half a micron of a fuck which celebs are at an event, nor do I give a shit what Snoop Dogg and Flava Flav are up to in Paris. I want to learn about athletes - both America  and from other countries. I want to know about the athletes who have no chance to medal but for whom just getting to the Games is the pinnacle of success for them. So 86 all the bullshit coverage of Snoop, Flava, Mikey from SNl, etc. and show me more about the athletes!

This is what is annoying me as well. While focusing on Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky gets a bit old, at least they are currently committing so their reactions might matter. And it's nice to see when they are happy for someone else. But random celebrities that have nothing to do with the sport, I do not care about. Best example is I'm not a fan of Pherrell (he is a jerk) and they showed him in the audience for Gymnastics. He had a look like "why am I here, what is this" lol.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I don’t remember an Olympic Games with this many celebrities. I remember some coming out to see Phelps but this is A LOT. I don’t know if it’s because it’s in Paris and the glamour of that or what. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Chaser said:

I don’t remember an Olympic Games with this many celebrities. I remember some coming out to see Phelps but this is A LOT. I don’t know if it’s because it’s in Paris and the glamour of that or what. 

I think it is definitely Paris. I’ve never seen so many A listers at the Olympics.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I think it is definitely Paris. I’ve never seen so many A listers at the Olympics.

It also seems to be the Biles Effect as by far the largest number of celebs are seen at Women's Gymnastics.  Paris is a great city, lots to do, nice places to stay and amazing food; I imagine the Hollywood types were attracted to it as a destination anyway.  A lot of them seem to spend a fair amount of vacation time on the Riviera anyway, Paris is a hop, skip and a jump away.

• Like 5

Man, Canada is just doing... Canadian things at these Olympics. 

a lot of the defending athletes - didn't medal. but we got a bunch of medals in events we never had before - OR has been eons since we medaled. and of course we're still #4 hahaha. I get that we have snow and ice and all but it still kinda boggles my mind how we're not good at a lot of the traditional summer sports. 

• Like 3
(edited)

One thing I'm getting a little worried about is Canada's women's swimming. We're doing great, don't get me wrong and I'm loving the Summer of Summer, but it's starting to feel like we're not encouraging longevity in our swimmers. Penny, Maggie and now Summer have had done amazingly well in their respective Olympics, but Maggie did not have a great showing this time around and I don't remember much about Penny in Tokyo. Compare this to Ellie Black, in a sport that's infamous for being old at 20 and you start to wonder what's up. 

One other thing I noticed is that a lot of our athletes aren't actually training here. Canada doesn't have a university (college) sport culture, or not nearly to the extent of the US. Overall, I think that's not really a bad thing, but if you need to have the resources to get yourself to a US college to get to the Olympics, it cuts down on the talent pool. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, surfgirl said:

nor do I give a shit what Snoop Dogg and Flava Flav are up to in Paris.

I actually wish the Snoop Dogg segments were longer, because he's doing things like trying various sports.  As far as I know, Flava Flav just sits in the audience.  And I do NOT need to see any celebrity just sitting in the audience.  Or even reacting while sitting in the audience.  But I'm anti-celebrity culture. 

Now, I do like cute moments.  There was one of LeBron James dancing up in the stands or something, and his daughter a couple of seats over was hiding her face in embarrassment. 

But do people actively enjoy seeing creepily bald-headed John Travolta just existing in a seat?  I don't understand how anybody could possibly give a shit.

I looked forward to the Mikey Day and Marcello Hernandez thing on racewalking, but the segment seemed thin--they didn't talk about any technique or anything--just took off walking and had the real racewalker pass them.  And then when they were being interviewed by Mike Tirico and Day's only reaction was how white he looks in the segment (and repeated it a couple of times), and the rest was just clowning around telling jokes that I think only the two of them got...bleh.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I actually wish the Snoop Dogg segments were longer, because he's doing things like trying various sports.  As far as I know, Flava Flav just sits in the audience.  And I do NOT need to see any celebrity just sitting in the audience.  Or even reacting while sitting in the audience.  But I'm anti-celebrity culture. 

Agreed re: cutaways to celebs just sitting there, who gives a shit, not I, not you.

Re: Snoop, he lost me when he and Martha were at a very swanky restaurant yesterday, and she had him trying this and that and when the escargot came, he didn't want to eat it, so he thought it would be cute to take it and pretend he was going to eat it, then he flung it on the beautiful French carpeting. I mean, it was so tacky and classless. He should know better. I was cringing, thinking of what the waitstaff was thinking when they watched him do that. It's just crass and very 'ugly American'. I also think it's ridiculous watching him cosplay things like the equestrian, but I blame that on Martha too because they both looked assinine in their pretend costumes. But hey, c'est moi.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
56 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

One thing I'm getting a little worried about is Canada's women's swimming. We're doing great, don't get me wrong and I'm loving the Summer of Summer, but it's starting to feel like we're not encouraging longevity in our swimmers. Penny, Maggie and now Summer have had done amazingly well in their respective Olympics, but Maggie did not have a great showing this time around and I don't remember much about Penny in Tokyo. Compare this to Ellie Black, in a sport that's infamous for being old at 20 and you start to wonder what's up. 

One other thing I noticed is that a lot of our athletes aren't actually training here. Canada doesn't have a university (college) sport culture, or not nearly to the extent of the US. Overall, I think that's not really a bad thing, but if you need to have the resources to get yourself to a US college to get to the Olympics, it cuts down on the talent pool. 

Penny won 3 medals in Tokyo (Silver 4x100 Free, bronze in 200m Medley and Bronze in the 4x100 Medley) but she had 2 major knee surgeries which is why she was just on the relays here in Paris. Maggie retired (basically) - so i think she really just came to do well in the relays (which she did. it was the other girl before Summer who really slowed down it seemed  - either that or China just really found another gear). Masse did what Masse does [but she's retiring]. 

So basically our swimming hopes is on Pickrun, McIntosh, Ruck (who has yet to impress me even though she's a good egg). and there is this other girl but i forgot her name. (sorry). they did relatively WELL - all things considering like we had a few double Candians in the finals, and some just missing the final cut so ideally that translate well in the next Olympiad. 

I know that the Aussie programme pretty much took off after Alex Bauman went down under, and i am still mad how we treated him because i really have to wonder whatever drama that Swim Canada and he had if it resolved would we basically be Australia?  and it really makes me wonder WHY Canada hasn't made a big push to make us into a massive threat. 

yeah i mean like it or not - it's Hockey first everything else  after that. which is why for me if it's not so much having a great collegiate programme, at least start having more world class pools and pay people to come up here. (but i will also admit. a lot of international people train in the USA as well). but having following Rowing, Canoe/Kayak (one of my favourite events) and our Diving results. we're not doing well  - and we've OFTEN done well there. 

and it's really making me wonder if the only answer is that Canada needs to host another Olympics to get the funding for the programme and Athletes. (and the massive issue is, Toronto can't afford to host the Games, I don't know about Montreal, and while another Winter Olympics here would be fantastic- i feel that we need the SUMMER games to get more funding for better results)

42 minutes ago, Daisy said:

yeah i mean like it or not - it's Hockey first everything else  after that. 

Hey, you’ve got Hammer Throw! That’s something! 🇨🇦 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
9 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Hey, you’ve got Hammer Throw! That’s something! 🇨🇦 

we did, it's great!! :)

4 hours ago, Daisy said:

Penny won 3 medals in Tokyo (Silver 4x100 Free, bronze in 200m Medley and Bronze in the 4x100 Medley) but she had 2 major knee surgeries which is why she was just on the relays here in Paris. Maggie retired (basically) - so i think she really just came to do well in the relays (which she did. it was the other girl before Summer who really slowed down it seemed  - either that or China just really found another gear). Masse did what Masse does [but she's retiring]. 

So basically our swimming hopes is on Pickrun, McIntosh, Ruck (who has yet to impress me even though she's a good egg). and there is this other girl but i forgot her name. (sorry). they did relatively WELL - all things considering like we had a few double Candians in the finals, and some just missing the final cut so ideally that translate well in the next Olympiad. 

I know that the Aussie programme pretty much took off after Alex Bauman went down under, and i am still mad how we treated him because i really have to wonder whatever drama that Swim Canada and he had if it resolved would we basically be Australia?  and it really makes me wonder WHY Canada hasn't made a big push to make us into a massive threat. 

yeah i mean like it or not - it's Hockey first everything else  after that. which is why for me if it's not so much having a great collegiate programme, at least start having more world class pools and pay people to come up here. (but i will also admit. a lot of international people train in the USA as well). but having following Rowing, Canoe/Kayak (one of my favourite events) and our Diving results. we're not doing well  - and we've OFTEN done well there. 

and it's really making me wonder if the only answer is that Canada needs to host another Olympics to get the funding for the programme and Athletes. (and the massive issue is, Toronto can't afford to host the Games, I don't know about Montreal, and while another Winter Olympics here would be fantastic- i feel that we need the SUMMER games to get more funding for better results)

Maggie swam third and she kept Canada in second place.  Summer was actually in second until the final 50 and she faded from second to fourth.  Or, as you said, the Australian and the Chinese women really poured it on.

I find myself never as interested in the Summer Olympics because Canada tends to not do so well.  That said, whenever Canada medals, I get that much more excited.  17 medals, 9th place.  Not too shabby.  Not as good as the US (71) or China (45) but on a per population capita basis, pretty respectable.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
7 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Maggie swam third and she kept Canada in second place.  Summer was actually in second until the final 50 and she faded from second to fourth.  Or, as you said, the Australian and the Chinese women really poured it on.

thanks for the correct. that was a bit of shade on someone  else. Sorry someone else! LOL. a bit tisky on Summer. but honestly i think it legit was all. China and Australia. but i said it before i knew it was summer, it was really a bit of let down there. I'll own that bit. 

Yeah per capita we do decent-ish but it's more of the events that we used to be stupid strong in - we're not as much anymore. i'm not sure why. (I remember i wanna say it was London or Rio - Canada was a gong-show at the regatta and Marnie McBean tore Rowing Canada a huge one saying how not acceptable that was considering our history in that sport). It really looks like it hasn't really taken root because what used to be a good chunk of medals for us in that event, has dwindled to like 1 or 2. (i mean i think it's moved over to swimming ironically enough). 

Canada's for the most part has ALWAYS been a "second week" country (even in the winter olympics). but if it were me at the COC - i would really identify some sports that you could train in Canada all year round that's affordable for young kids to get into - and reallly pump funding into that.  I know it's all about the world coming together etc etc yaa yada, but sometimes i wanna go EEFF YAH CANADA LET'S GOO!!! more than 17 times lmao (and more importantly more than 5 times or so). 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I find myself never as interested in the Summer Olympics because Canada tends to not do so well.  That said, whenever Canada medals, I get that much more excited.  17 medals, 9th place.  Not too shabby.  Not as good as the US (71) or China (45) but on a per population capita basis, pretty respectable.

As an American, I always get excited when our neigh is to the north and south do well in the Olympics. It was so exciting to dee hiw well Mexico did in men's synchro diving. I was overseas years ago.durong an Olympics, probably a Winter Games, and Canada was kicking ads in Ice skating pairs I think. I met a lady at my hotel and we were hanging out in thr bar and I congratulated her on the ice skating win and she was shocked. She said, 'I didn't think Americans rooted for anyone else but Americans'. I told her she's my neighbor to the north and it's exciting to see Cananda do well. It's sad that some folks think American is only USA USA USA. I'm for whoever works hard and gets the job done.

That was sort of a tangent but what I wanted to me tion is thst I'm seeing an unparalleled level of awesome good sportsmanship in all the events I've been watching. No stink eyes to the competition, no ignoring, no smack talk, just elite athletes acknowledging one another and cheering each other on. It's not always like that and I'm really digging it!

• Like 4
6 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Re: Snoop, he lost me when he and Martha were at a very swanky restaurant yesterday,

I didn't really like that segment either, but loved their segment on dressage tonight.  The two of them just sitting there talking, and Snoop mentions that the horse has to memorize the entire routine, and Martha's genuine pause to consider what he'd said.  I laughed out loud.

• Like 3