Type keyword(s) to search

Athletics (Track & Field)

• Start Topic

This is what I'm really waiting for! I love track & field, especially the sprint races. Not really into anything over 800 meters. I think I'll even change my sleep schedule so I can watch it ALL LIVE!

• Like 3

Just watched the 10000m live on E! and it was wild! First - they only split screened commercials a couple of times, which was awesome, but unexpected. But then the commentators were really hyping the American, Grant Fisher, as possibly getting a medal. And as they came around the bell lap, Fisher was getting smoked, but in the final half lap, he found another gear and pulled up for the bronze. Apparently, an American hasn't won a medal in this event in over half a century!

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Just watched the 10000m live on E! and it was wild! First - they only split screened commercials a couple of times, which was awesome, but unexpected. But then the commentators were really hyping the American, Grant Fisher, as possibly getting a medal. And as they came around the bell lap, Fisher was getting smoked, but in the final half lap, he found another gear and pulled up for the bronze. Apparently, an American hasn't won a medal in this event in over half a century!

I turned it off when they were WAY PAST THE TIME FOR THE WOMEN'S 200 INDIVIDUAL MEDLEY SEMI'S! They could have put the 10,000 up in the corner & actually showed the swimming LIVE!!!!! No offense to the fans BUT WHO REALLY CARES (BESIDES THOSE ATHLETES & THEIR FAMILIES) ABOUT THE 10,000 METERS??

• Angry 1

Can someone explain what the hell happened in the mixed relay on Friday?

All I see is about the world record the U.S. team set, but almost nothing about the handoff.  Just statements like this:

"I just thought I was locked in," Little said. "I had to realize I wasn't where I was supposed to be, re-locked in where I was supposed to be."

But what made her realize she wasn't where she was supposed to be, in time for her to run to where she was supposed to be, was some official(?), a lady on the track, in a big brimmed hat, who got Little's attention and pointed to where she was supposed to be standing.  None of the news reports mention that lady, and I can't believe that didn't give the team an advantage.

I guess it's allowed, because nobody's talking about it, but who was that lady in the hat?

24 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I guess it's allowed, because nobody's talking about it, but who was that lady in the hat?

She was an official. I don't think she would have signaled if it wasn't allowed.

(edited)

Femka Bol has a hyperdrive switch! Damn, that was insane. Will there be second-guessing the U.S. didn't switch anyone out? (I know they set the world record in the previous round, so it made sense not to....)

Congratulations to Saint Lucia! What an amazing accomplishment for Alfred! To get their first Olympic medal ever!

Edited by Souris
  • Like 3
  • Applause 5

I'm so happy for Julien Alfred, winning Saint Lucia's first gold medal. 

I got tired of all the constant hype for Sha'Carri Richardson, but I was happy for Melissa Jefferson winning bronze.

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Oh man, Netherlands on the 4x400. They were in solid 4th going into the last runner and she just ran by everyone to take the gold. 

I knew we were going to medal when Femke got the baton as close to the front as she did, I was screaming when she caught the British runner and then the US runner. She likes to chase, she did the same in the womens 4x400m at the last world championships. Lieke Klaver completely freaking out at the finish line was awesome to watch.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

None of the news reports mention that lady, and I can't believe that didn't give the team an advantage.

I don't remember which feed I was watching it on (via replay), but they showed the footage and explained what happened in extremely basic terms - runner was in the wrong place, official signaled her, runner got into place in time, avoiding disaster - without any mention of that possibly not being allowed, or being unusual, a nice gesture, or anything.  If next-day coverage isn't even mentioning the official, perhaps there's no question they're allowed to help like that.  (The only sport in which I'm immersed is NFL football, where the refs do not warn anybody they're in the wrong spot, they just throw the flag if they're still there when the ball is snapped, so I was surprised by the lack of "Can she do that?" or "There's no rule against that" reaction, because to me it was such a departure, but that may just be my limited reference causing my response.)

Femke's split time was 47.93, for comparison the 400m flat WR from the 1980's is 47.60. I know she had a flying start but that time is amazing.

The two men on the team are the first men ever to win gold for the Netherlands in Athletics.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If next-day coverage isn't even mentioning the official, perhaps there's no question they're allowed to help like that.

I'm guessing that's the case, but it seems kind of crazy.

Plus, when I was (unsuccessfully) trying to find out what happened by doing some internet searching, I ran across a story about how in Tokyo, the U.S. team was disqualified for not being in the box correctly, but the disqualification was overruled.  And it almost happened again?!?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

What happened to Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce???

I am wondering the same.  I think the “official” report is that she DNS the semifinal because of a hamstring injury.  But I read elsewhere that she was not allowed on to the track because she didn’t arrive with the team bus.  She isn’t staying in the Olympic Village, she rented a house and made her way to the track on her own.  

At some point it was allowed to show up individually, but apparently at some point the rule was changed last night that all athletes had to arrive with their team on the team bus.  But wasn’t communicated well?   

This is what I read, but not sure how accurate it all is.  If this is true, then she basically got disqualified because of a last minute rule change.  Sad.  I was looking forward to the showdown between her and Richardson.  Wonder if she could have gotten bronze or soared higher once again.

• Mind Blown 3
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I am wondering the same.  I think the “official” report is that she DNS the semifinal because of a hamstring injury.  But I read elsewhere that she was not allowed on to the track because she didn’t arrive with the team bus.  She isn’t staying in the Olympic Village, she rented a house and made her way to the track on her own.  

At some point it was allowed to show up individually, but apparently at some point the rule was changed last night that all athletes had to arrive with their team on the team bus.  But wasn’t communicated well?   

This is what I read, but not sure how accurate it all is.  If this is true, then she basically got disqualified because of a last minute rule change.  Sad.  I was looking forward to the showdown between her and Richardson.  Wonder if she could have gotten bronze or soared higher once again.

Sha'Carri was also affected by this, and while Alfred's win was nice, it does feel like whatever was going on with the lack of appropriate time in the warmup area really affected both Shelly-Ann (injury) and Sha'Carri (her semis and finals starts were both terrible).  Alfred likely still would've won since she raced so well, but this whole thing is a bummer.

The rain really seemed to affect most of the events, too.  The shot putters couldn't really throw well the second half of the event.

It was really fun, though, to see Dominica win its first medal ever in the triple jump, and it was gold!

• Like 6

I'm really enjoying the sportsmanship between the racers. I'm sure Sha'Carri was disappointed but she was gracious.

I'm old enough to remember the days when after a track race there would not be a single handshake or smile between competitors. Just icy glares, and immediate accusations of doping. I loved the drama but it did not seem in any way healthy.

• Like 4
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Souris said:

As a friend said, his pole got in the way of his vault! 😂

Imagine knowing your parents and friends were watching this...I mean, it's not like he grew a giant schlong overnight, he knew what his package situation was down there. Why wouldn't he wear a strong athletic supporter, Under Armor, hell,  a classic tuck n tape, do something g to keep that baloney pony in its stable! U less he was so excited that he got a boner,I cannot imagine him not battering down the hatches. Hard lesson learned, pun intended.

Edited by surfgirl
  • LOL 10
(edited)

I cannot stand Noah Lyles and his gator mouth.  He's from my area and I'm not looking forward to all the press he's going to get.  He's already been hyped enough.  

Fuck him.

And it's not like he smoked anybody.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
(edited)

The men's 100 meters was just so nerve-wracking!! All the NBC crap before the race just made it worse! I am so glad Lyles did it! I love his swagger, it makes it more enjoyable. Now on to the 200!

Edited by Coraline Jones
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

What was the half hour of crap before the men’s 100? Was there a light show and dancing girls?! Geez. I think the head lean won it for Lyles. That was some race. 

my husband always complains he never gets to see the hammer throw so thank you Peacock. Go Canada! 🇨🇦 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

They said Thompson won at first, but I thought Lyles nipped him at the tape and I was right. What a race.

Yeah, I was confused by the broadcasters saying they thought Thompson hung on; it was pretty clear to me that Lyles pipped him that last half meter because he was accelerating throughout the race.  That might be the best men's 100m ever, and my beautiful Fred Kerley won bronze!

Also, how is it that every single semifinalist in the men's 100m was so gorgeous?  Lord have mercy...

Beyond thrilled for the high jump medalists – so delightful!

Edited by NUguy514
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

What was the half hour of crap before the men’s 100? Was there a light show and dancing girls?! Geez. I think the head lean won it for Lyles. That was some race. 

my husband always complains he never gets to see the hammer throw so thank you Peacock. Go Canada! 🇨🇦 

So what's up with the Canadian hammer guy's eyebrows? Are they always like that?

• LOL 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I cannot stand Noah Lyles and his gator mouth.  He's from my area and I'm not looking forward to all the press he's going to get.  He's already been hyped enough.  

Fuck him.

And it's not like he smoked anybody.

Something about him turns me off... I think it is the arrogance.  When the results came up, he didn't exclaim in joy or anything.  He just raised his hands in victory and ripped off his name tag and kept saying "I told you, I told you".

And the interview... "I just thought, OMG, I'm incredible."

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
(edited)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who found Noah Lyles very annoying. I was disappointed when the Jamaican guy didn't win. It really seemed like he should have had it. But it was that close.

Edited by blueray
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
(edited)

I'm with y'all, Lyle is just obnoxious and full of himself. He's not all that. 

I'm also fed up with the British guy calling the track races. He keeps mispronouncing Botawana's Tebogo as TeboGo, and it's TeboHo. He ought to know how to pronounce Olympic athletes names properly  FFS.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1